Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Slightly late to the motorcycle PPE chat but I had a bad motorcycle collision in 2009 and I believe I'm only alive because I was wearing my helmet.

I was stopped on a 2 lane road behind a couple cars, with the lead car wanting to turn left across traffic into a driveway or something. Sunny day, mid afternoon. Had my foot on the ground just sitting there waiting when a pick up truck hit me from behind doing 30mph. Didn't even touch his brakes. If I had to guess, the driver was dicking around with the radio or phone and didn't see all of us stopped in front of him. He couldn't use the excuse of not seeing my bike since there was a minivan and another vehicle in front of me, all stopped. Thankfully I got catapulted off before his truck crushed my bike in to the rear of the minivan. All I ended up getting was a little road rash on my elbow and hip and a compression fracture in a vertebrae in my lower back. My helmet had a large crack straight down the back side of it where it impacted the asphalt. I live in a no-helmet-law state so I'm sure if I had not been wearing it, that would have been a skull fracture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Jesus. I was thinking of grabbing some short term safety work on an oil rig for my next gig but fuuuck that. :stare:

Some of my coworkers have done stints doing oil rig safety. From what they've told me, the hours and work are incredibly difficult but the pay is ridiculous.

For me personally, oil rig safety and plant safety at a paper mill are probably the two that fall in to my "not just no but gently caress no" category. I'm fine sticking with commercial construction safety for now.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, I work in safety for power plant construction which I figured would be rough, but it’s nothing compared to the stuff I’ve been reading about oil rig stuff. I’ll pass unless I’m really hard up for work.

Nice, thats where I came from. I was at this train wreck.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Does the acronym “FLS” make you break out in a cold sweat, or were they not on that job?

That wasn't ringing a bell so I had to google it. Flowserve right? I don't recall them on site but they may have been a supplier in some fashion. The main GC started out as Shaw, then CB&I, then for about a month it was a made up company called WecTec, then finally Fluor, then it shut down. At the biggest, I think we had about 8,000 field and field non-manual on site and on average maybe 2 recordable incidents per week. Good times.

MikeCrotch posted:

Why paper mills

I was with an industrial maintenance company at the time and worked a 2 week shut down at an IP pulp mill (although it has since been bought by some other company). From my perspective, the plant was just a mess. Tons of ancient out of service equipment that was left to rot in place. Everything was dirty. Green, white and black liquor everywhere. And drat near constant confined space issues. And obviously that loving smell.

This was an old mill so maybe newer ones are nicer, cleaner, and have their poo poo together.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Nah, Frank Lill and Son. They're one of the subs here that specializes in power plant construction, whenever a sub is doing something here that's going to give me an ulcer it's usually them. We're at 200 or so craft/FNM now, since it's getting to the end of the project, but we had a peak of only about 1200. I had figured it would be a lot more people for a GW+ plant. Our RIR for the project is, I poo poo you not, 1.09. Most of our recordables have been really dumb poo poo, like a guy who lit his pants all the way on fire, or the dude who stepped in a puddle and broke his ankle.

Ah, nah I hadn't heard of them before. I'm jealous of your ability to see what the end of a big project is like. VCS shut down on me and I could only stand being at Vogtle for a year before getting the hell away from power plant construction. The company I'm with now does some multi family and commercial base building, a ton of data center base building, and a fair bit of government work, but our real bread and butter is interior up-fits/renovations. Basically I went from a single 8,000 person heavy industrial project to a bunch of interior renovations that average 20 people and only last 3 months. Its nice to have a life again.

I'll try to remember some of our ridiculous incidents. I know we had 2 legitimately serious incidents at VCS and 1 at Vogtle, plus a whole bunch of dumb stuff.

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I know this is the OSHA thread so this makes sense but it's insane to see so many power industry adjacent folks here.

Just going through a laundry list of folks getting out of building power plants there huh?

To be fair, I believe CB&I bought Shaw (and are now owned by McDermott, which filed for bankruptcy this month). Fluor tried but by that point the whole project was just a disaster. Didn't help that the utility/owner SCE&G ran out of money which resulted in 8,000 of us getting laid off at lunch on a Monday. You could also add Westinghouse/Toshiba to the list of companies that did not fair so well from that adventure.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Took a couple pictures from one of my projects on Tuesday. This is looking out the window at a brand new 18 floor building next door. I put the red circle so you know where to look.

*ENHANCE*

This guy crawled over the guardrail on the roof so he could work on the exterior face of the 18th floor. He appeared to be tied off...maybe? Hopefully to an actual anchor point and not just whatever his pelican hook fit around. There are people from another GC doing site work in the space between that building and the one I'm in, in other words, people are underneath him at ground level. The fact that he took his hardhat off so it didn't fall makes me think he probably doesn't have any tools tethered.

edit// Hopefully this worked. Sorry about that last night. For whatever reason imgur doesn't work on Chrome for me so I have to load it in Firefox

iroc.dis fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 28, 2020

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So I'm not sure where this should actually go, but how are companies proving they're essential so that employees that have to commute through curfew areas have something to show the police if they get pulled over for violating curfew?

Or is it just "Print off the email where the company claims this and hand it to the cop if you get pulled over"?

My company is doing a project at a Knight/Swift facility. Knight/Swift gave my guys printed copies of a memo from their CEO where he explains that they are essential to nationwide logistics or some crap.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Any other people in here EHS guys dealing with the pandemic? It loving sucks.

Sup fellow EHS guy :hfive:. Yes this most definitely blows goats.

My company had projects shut down in the SF Bar area and in Austin, TX due to government restrictions on what is essential vs non-essential. We've also had some clients put active projects on hold and other clients postpone new projects until late April or May.

We've had 3 employees test positive. One was at our HQ in VA, 2 were in our NYC office. For reasons unknown, they still have me driving around auditing sites. The new thing management came up with was stationing an employee at the entry point to all projects to check subcontractors in and ask them a few questions about if they've traveled recently and if they have any symptoms.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Had some lovely OSHA at work this week.

I was a project we have at a port facility Monday afternoon. The Port had an arc flash incident severely injuring an electrician and their third-party electrical engineer. They didn't provide many details but it sounded like they went in to a cabinet that they thought was de-energized, when it was...not. And nothing out there is low-voltage. They have a dozen buildings, container yard lighting, vehicle entry points, plus the dozen huge loving cranes that pull containers off ships. The EE is a 70+ year old man who has been working out there for years. It sounded like he may have gotten the worst of it since the medevac helo was for him. Both ended up at the regional burn unit. State OSHA was out there for the next several days.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Who wants some nasty human OSHA.

I work for a large nationwide commercial GC. Several weeks ago we instituted a policy requiring all employees and subs to wear face coverings on our job sites. I was on a conference call with my EHS coworkers this week and it was brought up that we recently had two incidents from our HQ. Two different employees thought they could wear the same dirty grimy face mask day after day...for weeks.

On one employee, the dirty face mask rubbed his face raw which then helped him contract a staph infection on his cheeks. The other employee got a respiratory infection from breathing through his dirty mask. So thats all fun. When we put out the policy we talked about regularly washing reusable face masks and disposing of the daily-use variety but I take it these guys ignored that part of the email.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
You guys like MotoGP right?

https://youtu.be/UGPrHj1nPt0

Wreck from the Austrian GP this past weekend. Only sustained injury was a fractured wrist. Two riders crash into each other just before a turn, they both get flung off but their bikes continue on through the grass and gravel trap in to the corner where they narrowly miss hitting two other riders. A good quote from someone who was behind everything and saw it first hand,

"I think the luckiest guy in the world right now is Valentino Rossi. Honestly I prefer not to even think about it. You know the bikes are probably still going at more than 200 kph, and a bike weighing in at 185kgs flying at close to 200 kph, if that hits somebody, I think we all know how that might end."

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Its National Construction Safety Week this week.  Any other safety goons doing anything special?  None of my projects are big enough to warrant any cool vendor demos so I'm just giving talks at them as I make my visits.

I sat in on a webinar today featuring a roofer who survived falling 30' on to concrete. Apologies for the photo of a monitor but these were his injuries. Oof.

Moral of the story: fall prevention/protection is important.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Equipment failure, or was he one of those "wearing a harness but not actually tying off" types?

18 year old kid hired by a company to help demo the roof off his high school. They just told him to get up there and start tearing poo poo off. He was trying to pull up a nailed down piece of wood when it broke loose, he stumbled backwards and fell off the edge. Landed face first. Per the other workers, EMTs had a body bag ready when they rolled up.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Bacon Taco posted:

I hope he sued that company into bankruptcy, and that the local DA looked into criminal charges.

He didn't mention any civil suits. Considering how much his life has changed post-accident, I would guess that a civil suit would have easily been in the millions. He did say his worker's comp claim was the largest in his state's history though.

I hunted through OSHA citations for roofers in that time frame but only found 2 companies which each received 3 violations. One totaled $8300 and the other had $6000.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Memento posted:

I realise it would be very difficult to blow yourself up doing this, but whatever slim chance exists still doesn't seem worth the payoff.

That's a good example of a Safety Squint

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
My dad sent me this. Happened fairly close to where he lives in Southern Delaware.

quote:

Two Killed in Bethany Beach Industrial Accident
Posted: Nov 02, 2020 5:30 PM EST
Updated: Nov 03, 2020 8:16 AM EST

BETHANY BEACH, Del.- Delaware State Police are investigating an industrial accident in Bethany Beach that left two men dead Monday morning.

Police said that shortly before 10:30 a.m., a 22-year-old man and a 23-year-old man, both from Puerto Rico, were working in a Z135 Man Lift to install new antennas for Velex company on the water tower of Sussex Shores Water Company located at 39602 Waterworks Court in Bethany Beach. Police said the men were approximately 120 feet off the ground when a strong wind caused the lift to tip over and become tangled in the surrounding electrical wires as it fell to the ground.

Both men were pronounced deceased on the scene. Identification is pending notification to the next of kin.

One lane of southbound Coastal Highway remained closed for approximately four hours as the investigation was conducted.

This remains an active and ongoing investigation. The Division of Forensic Science and the US Occupational Safety & Health are assisting with the investigation.

Local News

120' up in the air in a boom lift in high winds :stonk:. Fuuuuuuck that

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

glynnenstein posted:

gently caress. It must have been some loving wind to blow down an articulated boom lift. Those beasts weigh over 22 tons.

Genie says don't use one of their lifts if wind speed exceeds 28mph. My dad said it was 35-40mph that day.

edit// oops accidental page snype.

iroc.dis fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 3, 2020

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Kanine posted:

does anyone have hard statistics on whether unionized workplaces have more or less accidents/safety violations than non-unionized? anecdotal experience is also welcome

im also curious about statistics with workplace safety in regards to cooperatively run businesses. im looking to see if mondragon has any documentation online but i cant find any

Anecdotal experience here. I went from a large 8,000+ worker construction project that was non-union to another 8,000+ worker project that was union. The number of incidents was roughly the same at both places. Around 10-15 incidents per day Monday through Friday (less on the weekends) and 1-3 OSHA recordable incidents each week.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
There is a short clip floating around on the OSHA IG pages today showing a trench cave-in in Brazil. Looks like its probably 15-20' deep, sheer vertical wall, no trench box/shoring/benching, with a dude at the bottom getting what looks like a sanitary water line in place. Thankfully the video cuts out before you see him get covered. But gently caress it looked awful.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

moparacker posted:

Yup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxfQrVySqi8&t=32s

Also a shot at 6:05 of him casually controlling from the back of the unit.

Those hydraulic modular crawlers are crazy. 2 of my former projects used a company called Sarens to move huge modules from one area to another. The transporters can be linked together to form long chains or side-by-side to form a grid. I saw them link probably a dozen or more of them together to move a 1500 ton module to get it closer to a pick point. Their company motto is "Nothing too heavy, nothing too high" and holy poo poo do they mean it.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Crosspost from IVFW:

Short version: a group of enlisted Army folks drank liquor from containers that previously held antifreeze. Surprise surprise. A bunch of people got sick.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Last week I was at an interior up-fit that my company is doing on the 10th floor of a new building. I noticed across the way that a contractor had set up this contraption on the terrace of the un-opened hotel next door. For reference, the terrace is on the 8th or 9th floor. It has a 5' glass barrier/guardrail around the perimeter of it.

Zoomed in on the contraption.

It might be hard to see but that's just a regular scaffold sitting there unsecured to the terrace deck. Placed on top of it are 2 aluminum beams joined by a sleeve. The two beams are held on to the scaffold via some ratchet straps. The beam has several counterweights on the back side of it. And why would it need counterweights? Because of the bosun's chair that is hanging from side closest to us.

Thankfully, dude in the bosun's chair is independently tied off from the chair and beam contraption.

I can't say I've ever seen this done before. In my mind the better solution to fixing the trim on that window is probably using either a swing stage scaffold or a boom lift on the ground. But I guess these guys get points for creativity. Also pictured: not barricading the area underneath them where they could easily drop tools and materials.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

eggyolk posted:

This doesn't seem unusual, maybe I'm missing it? We used to set up pretty much identical rigs to suspend swing stages when painting murals around NYC. The only iffy thing is the dudes safety line running over the edge of the glass, which would lead to some dramatic shattering if he did slip off his chair, but that probably can't be helped.

Ah that's good to hear. I kinda figured these guys knew what they were doing. The whole thing had to have been moved up there by hand, and it was obviously designed for that task. The way the counterweights slid right on to the beam, the winch they used to raise and lower the seat. It just...looked sketchy. Probably just my dislike of heights coming out.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Boogalo posted:

I quietly yelled nooooooo the whole time while watching (there's sound)

https://i.imgur.com/0Lwo6tc.mp4

From a few pages back but this reminded me, does anyone in here have the 40 hour HAZWOPER training? I don't think I probably need it for my current EHS job but I see it mentioned in the occasional EHS vacancy I see online. It doesn't cost all that much, but christ, sitting in front of a computer for 40 hours would be rough.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

May Contain Nuts posted:

This sounds like every class I took during my apprenticeship.

Probably something like ClickSafety or 360Training. We use those websites to recertify our folks and yea its absolutely miserable to get through. I do the 30 hour every few years just to give myself a refresher and sweet gently caress it drags on.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Doesn't taking 30 qualify you to teach 10?

Taking the OSHA 500 (construction standards) or 501 (general industry standards) course allows you to teach the OSHA 30 hour and 10 hour.

zedprime posted:

If nothing else be careful if it isn't immediately applicable to your day job because online hazwoper 40 doesn't technically give you a real hazwoper 40 cert your first time around. You need a practical hands on donning and doffing of a space suit and an incident drill to fulfill all requirements.

Instruction without hands on is technically a hazwoper 40 refresher. I keep saying technically because it's not like the OSHA man is going to pop out of the closet during an interview and say "not actually certified!"

Hazwoper 40 is going to be required for any position where you might work in the incident response team in an incident especially as a possible commander or someone answering to the commander, or planning of incident responses. If you aren't the one getting into the space suit or on the hook to become an incident commander ex. You're a safety professional helping document and plan incident responses, or someone who could be working in the cold zone during an incident, 24 hour is usually enough.

Thanks for the the information. I hadn't read anywhere that there was a hands on practical. Sounds like the 24 hour would be a better idea for me.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

By popular demand posted:

I don't suppose OSHA inspector get an on-site unplanned demonstration like that often Please tell me they don't.

It happens sometimes. Another example would be the Lampson crane collapse at Miller Park in Milwaukee. Fed OSHA happened to be on site and recorded the lift and subsequent collapse of one crane in to another, which resulted in 3 ironworkers being killed.

Here's video of it. Just FYI again, it shows the deaths of 3 people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8fiixoGtM0

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

How are jobs working for OSHA or a New York State/City equivalent? Pay alright?

I don’t think I’d mind being an antagonist in a latter-series King of the Hill episode.

State and Fed OSHA jobs pay garbage. The state OSHA vacancies I've seen posted in SC and NC were starting at like 40k. Entry level EHS positions with a decent sized GC or at a plant will easily beat that. It accounts for why most state OSHA agencies are incredibly understaffed. Its even worse if you have experience and certs. The pay increases with the state won't be anywhere near what the private sector will do.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

The Real Amethyst posted:

gently caress everything about working in a steel mill.

I interviewed for a safety position at a steel mill. As part of the interview they gave me a tour of the plant and yes, I can confirm, gently caress all of that.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

How hard is it to electrical tape this guy a face mask? The work is being done 100% outside but regardless. Maybe they have a different sign for indoor work?

whats the preference for images in this thread, I have been told to stop posting such huge images. I can just m tag all of them

My company has separate jobsite signage showing the facemask requirement but we're also fairly large. Smaller local GCs probably don't give much of a gently caress about Covid or facemasks so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Happy National Safety Week everyone :toot:

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My neighbor punctured a gas line digging 4" down to plant hydrangeas.

In the same vein, a subcontractor working for my company on a project in downtown DC hit the same underground gas line 3 different times in the span of a week. I know underground utilities can be a mess in older cities but how the hell do you keep hitting the same line

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s industrial contracts that require you to sign off that at no point are you using Chinese slings, wire rope, etc.

My company (and my previous employer) and several of our current clients specify that. We don't see it often but every once in a while we'll use a smaller crane and rigging company and they'll try to use Chinese shackles.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It's wild to think that the best runners probably had the lowest body fat percentage and so those were the folks who couldn't survive.

They would probably also be carrying the least amount of gear possible, so no jacket, space blanket, or other cold weather gear.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

35000 psi water line

I used to work for a company that did ultra high pressure water blasting, part of which included using 40k PSI water pumps with hoses like that (obviously without the bubble). They're used for a bunch of different things. Our big moneymaker was shut-down maintenance at paper and steel mills. 40k PSI water will cut right through the nastiest poo poo inside of a boiler, and as you would imagine, will easily cut off the limb of a person if they aren't wearing the right PPE.

We'd also use it to blast out concrete that had cured around rebar, if that gives you any indication as to how powerful it is.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Gromit posted:

What the heck is the "right PPE" to save you when you sweep a 40k PSI waterjet over your leg? Powered mech armour?

afen posted:

We had a couple of these high pressure washers with 2.000 bar working pressure onboard for a job where we were cleaning anchor chains for a rig. The operators used special kevlar suits for the job. The sound that the water made was LOUD!

This guy had it. Kevlar suits made for ultra high pressure water. I can't remember off the top of my head who made them, sme company out of Europe I think. They were pretty expensive as you would imagine.

You can see the sort of suit we would use in this Mistras video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbT7AYv1XE4&t=113s

In a similar but different situation, I used to do safety coverage over a metal fabrication shop that had a Flow waterjet cutting table. It used 60k PSI water with granite to cut through up to 6" of steel.

iroc.dis fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 30, 2021

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Memento posted:

Garnet, not granite, right?

Crap yea you're right. Brain fart. It made this nasty red sludge after it settled to the bottom.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Not required on a scissors lift. Gate chain not connected maybe.

FWIW, its not required by OSHA but almost every decent-sized general contractor I know of, my own included, and every manufacturing and industrial plant I've ever worked in has required scissor lift users to be tied off.

Just from that photo, I see at least the chain gate not being closed, no PPE, and probably a good chance neither of those guys are trained to operate that lift.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
To get this back on track. I'm not great at embedding stuff from IG so here are a couple links:

Gantry crane vs Forklift.
Forklift operator lives but unfortunately suffers a spinal injury. There's no gore but if you have an issue seeing someone get nearly crushed by a crane, probably don't click it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ9Lh8ZJbu8/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Aftermath pictures:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ9iSftnMyT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Devor posted:

Replacement will probably either be conventional design-bid-build with an accelerated schedule, or design-build with a truly insane (for government contracts) schedule, like 3 months, depending on what lead times for the bridge steel is these days.

I don't know if its any different from commercial steel columns/beams/joists but my company is looking at 6-8 month lead times for steel for a new project we've been awarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Sweet christ. I really hope that place gets a visit from the city fire marshal tomorrow. Kansas doesn't have their own state OSHA department so it would be up to Fed OSHA to come out. That place looks like a nightmare.

Ugly In The Morning: Are we thinking Frito-Lay doesn't have on-site EHS or that their EHS just doesn't give a quarter gently caress? My vote is for "Oh we have EHS, its a collateral duty for our production managers."

iroc.dis fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2021