Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

grillster posted:

Preferred developer for our brain implant:
  • Elon Musk
  • Bill Gates
  • Jeff Bezos
  • Linus Torvalds
  • Richard Stallman
John McAfee would probably bring some exciting insights...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

i mean it is possible that the ground is only like 10 feet below and only the perspective makes it look like they're a million miles in the air

I would guess they are probably a pretty decent distance up to account for snow pack during the winter. Unless that is some kinda fancy-pants system that adjusts tower height, but I doubt that.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzP22kl-eP/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

I think I kinda know what he was trying to do. Maybe?...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Then the next human shuttlecock lands on top of you. Bonus points if yours has already deflated.

E: Whatta lovely page snipe...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Who wants more art school stories?

I grew up in mostly rural areas, so I was the designated frame-maker for our painting class when we stretched our own canvas. I didn't mind as it meant more reasons to talk to the girls I liked. The ONE time I wasn't around to cut wood, a couple of kids that thought they knew what they were trying to do tried to rip a 4x4 into something insane like 1x2s. Kid A is having trouble pushing the stock through, so gets Kid B to help pull it from the other side. Fortunately Kid A is just slightly off to the side as the saw kicks the wood back hard enough to go through the door and partially embed itself in the lockers lining the hallway...

...right in front of the dean as she was heading back to her office.

After that I was the official designated frame-maker for that class and the semester after, though my suggestion to move the table saw away from the door, or at least rotate it 90º never went anywhere.

We also had a print room with all kinds of fun OSHA mishaps waiting to happen, but wood or lino accidents were pretty rare as there were so many bench hooks around you would always be able to use one. What DID ruin hands was this ancient-rear end, foot-operated guillotine sheet metal cutter for cutting nickle plates down for intaglio prints. It wasn't electrical-assisted or anything, you just had to stomp down on the foot pedal to cut the sheet mechanically, so some of the smaller girls would have to jump with both feet or even two of them would have to jump on to get enough ooomph to get through the plate. Of course the cuts were not clean at all as the downward side would have this lip of jagged-rear end razor sharp metal just thirsting for co-ed blood, but it usually only took one 'do I REALLY need to file this edge down...' per class for people to learn not to test the edge with their finger/hand.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Nothing could be finer
South Caroliner

Got it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/PrY61Wn.mp4

The skill to do this by hand and not gently caress it up is pretty amazing.

Now I want grilled cheese for lunch.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

It's a common misconception that Canada geese are mortal. That goose is still out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead.

Nothing can kill the Grimace... goose.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hamster Huey and the Poo-ey Kablooey.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

schmug posted:

But here is some actual OSHA from our IT guy punching down some wires for communication to it.

Since it is an IT guy up there, I am guessing he thought Birkenstocks WITH socks counted as 'no open-toed shoes'.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

CitizenKain posted:

Best one I can remember is coming back to Missoula from Boise, we got near a large forest fire that was in the area. All of a sudden, the plane just plummeted for a bit after hitting turbulence. Thankfully, everyone was buckled in, as that would have really bounced someone around.

Boise to SLC. Late July/August at probably three in the afternoon. Thin-rear end high desert air and the sun had been out for most of the day heating everything up. I think the only parts of that flight that were smooth were the taxis.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

When we were there in 2018 there were Russian kids playing catch with one of the skulls.

I think they were Russian. It sounded like they were speaking Russian (though not as many BLYAT as I would have expected) and some of their stuff had Cyrillic on it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I actually meant people who still identify as "hobos" per se. I think they still have a convention or gathering or whatever.

I think those are juggalos.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Is that a bonus wasp nest in the corner?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

This ain't her first snake rodeo.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

ORIGINAL FIRE ALARM, DONUT STEEL.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

ekuNNN posted:

speaking of carabiners and the locking of them:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rrgux9Mk6U1qigfjt.mp4

Plenty of airflow, probably didn't have to worry about their grip getting sweaty.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

Seeing someone sit down while missing a limb basically means you're about to hear about some crazy poo poo.

'Oh, THIS? Completely unrelated, but it is another funny story...'

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's like something you'd see on a golf course in Mordor.

It is only 25 miles from Berkeley Pit. Y'know, the giant death lake full of arsenic and copper? So it is fitting.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Bet they wish they were sponsored by Red Bull.

Since as far as I know, Monster does not give you wings (to get out of the huge crevasse).

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I like how the bottom of the ladder looks hosed up as if this is not its first rodeo.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

RoastBeef posted:

It's wild how fast cars burn - it rolled to a stop (and the driver got out) about 90 seconds before the second image.

C'mon, Chipotle isn't THAT spicy...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

I know someone who was shot at while driving, and I know someone else that was shot at while riding a bike.

I've been shot at while driving twice. Once in Oregon and another in Missouri.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

5er posted:

This should absolutely be some kind of 'sim' game. I'd probably zen out for hours wrecking poo poo in a junkyard with an articulate crane.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker is kinda like that other than 'space' and 'spaceships' and you are doing it by hand with your crazy space tools but it is a game I had to quit playing because I was spending way too much time on it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, I watched that way too long.

He just looks so happy! Toot-toot!

Nenonen posted:

How do they take them out?

...do they take them out eventually?

Sounds like a receiver problem...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

dobbymoodge posted:

I am extremely upset about all the empty bolt holes on the right hand side of this machine :stonk:

The way it jumps around at one point is reassuring as well.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

GroverContractors; now with load-bearing vinyl siding!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

My favorite part is when they just dump the tumbler out. No tray, or tarp, or anything else to catch all the poo poo. Just shove it out of the way to sort through off the floor.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Now I wanna see the rest of the video where they shuffle-scootch the unit to its location.

Dealer's choice if it is still on the pallet or not.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So you know those one wheeled contraptions people love to break their bones riding?

Apparently they've been pressured by the CPSC to issue a recall of, uh, everything they make.

https://apnews.com/article/onewheel-recall-electric-skateboard-deaths-injuries-39a267efb8a0c7b3532d536b7fcdca60

Has a company ever done this with their entire product line?

Back in the day when you could get three-wheeled quad runners (the gently caress did they call them when they had three wheels?...) they finally decided that three wheels wasn't stable enough and from then on, they would only make four wheeled ones.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you are making a transportation device with an odd number of wheels your window of opportunity is gonna be short.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I was waiting for the final shot to be someone or something walking through the wet cement

I was expecting him to drop the drain mask or lose his balance.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

shame on an IGA posted:

everybody worried about the truckload of whip-its blowing up launching batarangs into low orbit and nobody thinking about the cloud of boner pill fumes washing over the greater detroit region

Whoop-whoop!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

So, what you are saying is that now would be a great time for Ellicott City to finally be washed off the map with another 500-year flood?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I want you to know that I'm local enough to have :lol:ed at this.

I would say I'd meet you at the Mills for dollar beers on Sunday night but I heard they went to poo poo after (apparently?) Phoenix Emporium bought them.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

...see you down in Curtis Bay

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Toolgifs watermark getting kinda sketchy...

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Is that a helicopter cropduster? The only dudes I knew with MULTIPLE air crashes were crop dusters, now with the great flavor of a machine that lusts for death? GodDAMN.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

That is what the other shift wears when they are popping the corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL; the 'ol spicy vacation.

or: My Summer Vacation and How I Became An Only Child.