Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm the industrial music and sirens that kick in at eleven seconds as you transition into Silent Hill.

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Runaway wind turbines are fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbCs7ZQDKoM

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Humphreys posted:

In Britain they teach (or taught) everyone in school how to attach plugs to appliances. So they were smart in that way, BUT the plugs themselves were a danger. Not due to risk of shocks, but the lego/foot factor:

Schuko > British Caltrops > Seppo Electrocution Plugs

:colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

KoRMaK posted:

Yes! I want to make a video game with like bf2 style copter controls and it's just Xmas tree delivery pilot with a bunch of levels moving trees around.

Also a couple levels would be the sky cowboy stuff herding cattle around and stuff.

But that's all vidya game bs. Wanna do it in real life. poo poo, this would have been alot easier to do if I had a trust fund

I remember someone made an Arma3 competitive multiplayer map where two teams had to sling load objects into their storage area from a large field. The flight model in Arma is not the most sophisticated, but it's complicated enough to make this mode really fun.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

Reading about american fire department subscriptions, or healthcare, or politics, or education, or prisons, always fills me with this weird mix of anger at the system and relief that I'm not part of it.

I read these Tales from Yankland with incredulity and morbid fascination. The thought that a fire fighter would stop fighting a fire because someone hadn't paid their taxes is utterly alien to me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

RandomPauI posted:

It becomes a bit easier to understand why everything is so different between each state if you imagine each state as a mini-nation that answers to a bigger nation, but only if the bigger nation is interested in stepping in.

The USA is not the only federal state in the world.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Now I wonder if there's a Staplerfahrer Klaus sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z77oztO6UQ

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That is one perceptive bus driver on the leftmost lane there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Log082 posted:

i gotchu

Something like that is a really tempting av, not gonna lie.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Aw, thank you. :3:

Behold my slightly misaligned DIN 4844-2 avatar.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

axolotl farmer posted:

In every elevator without an inner door.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=54551

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=52960

:allears:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The Long Dark has gotten a graphics update I see.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

What use could something like this even have

Connecting your generator to your house if you don't like having one installed the right way. Also very good at killing the people trying to fix the power line that caused your outage.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Imagined posted:

As far as I know unless the freaking NSA is after you, anything more than overwriting your drive three times is probably overkill and any vulnerability beyond that point is speculative and theoretical.

Overwriting isn't all that useful on newer storage media (i.e. SSDs)

If you want to erase something, use blkdiscard --secure, which will cause the device to nuke everything. If it doesn't support that, blkdiscard --zeroout will zero-fill everything.

If that's not paranoid enough, physical destruction is the only option. We have a degausser for mass destruction, which is much more appropriate for a university than a hammer.

(Though we also have hydraulic presses capable of 600 MPa from all sides and temperatures of 600°C)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well crap, the press it is then. We are currently building a new building with reinforced walls for even stronger presses, that should take care of everything.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

DandyLion posted:

When I worked in Gaming the IT guys would always give me the Hard Drives to 'dispose of' simply because I took such enjoyment from dropping them from the top of the 6 story parking garage and smashing them against the concrete walls. But yeah a good hydraulic press probably works just as well.

Thinking more about it, I could also submerge them in liquid nitrogen. I have a tank outside my office and a few more within walking distance. That should make the drives extremely brittle so they might actually shatter on impact.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Source4Leko posted:

Helium talk always takes me back to when me and one other guy in our lab used ~30,000 liquid liters of it in one year. I worked it out to be about a percent of world production that year.

WTF. That's more than our liquid nitrogen consumption, and we use a lot of it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

So this is basically the america.jpg sister thread now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Where is that? Amsterdam?

Larger ships get right of way thanks to tonnage and inertia and that parade looks to be going slower than walking speed, so it's fine.

Except that gently caress in the small black boat in the top left trying to cross the stream of ships. You don't do that. The larger ships can't directly see you and even if they do, they may not stop or divert course in time. Cripes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

CzarChasm posted:

You can flinch if you want to
You can turn your gaze aside
'Cause your breaking glass
And if you break glass, well
You're no friend of mine

I hate you. That stupid song is going to be stuck in my head forever. Again.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Kiel Week was moved to September this year but without the drunk assholes on land. Social distancing is easier when everyone confines to a boat I guess. Still, I doubt it's going to be the same. IIrc you can't even cross to Denmark right now (and vice versa) so a lot of our Baltic friends will be absent…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

There's a lot going on in that boat crane video. That Kranplatz is not verdichtet. :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That is the kitchen of a pastamancer :magical:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

zedprime posted:

What is the by the book response if not drive a pallet jack into it?
Fetch the Panzeranklopfgerät from the tool shed?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This literally just happened a few hours ago. As far as I can tell that crane bent _backwards_.

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/Rostock-Erneutes-Unglueck-mit-Hafenkran,hafenkran156.html

Click on the video.

Quick translation of the first paragraph:

quote:

A serious industrial accident occurred on Saturday afternoon at the Liebherr premises in Rostock's overseas port. According to the police, a heavy-duty crane mounted on a ship buckled during a heavy-duty test after a rope broke. Parts of the crane fell onto the ship and onto the quay wall. According to initial findings, five people were injured, according to a police spokeswoman. Two of them had to be treated in hospital. The police and fire brigade were on site with a large contingent. Investigations into the cause of the accident are continuing. Investigators have not yet been able to provide any information on the extent of the damage.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well yes, they managed to throw two cranes in the harbour during loading and it took two months to get them out. Including fun hazard stuff with 10 000 L of oil and diesel that had to be pumped out first. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

5000 tons at 30m distance, according to the article. 6000 closer to the base of the crane.

It's pretty big. Or was :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Being stuck downwind of a poultry farm for a few hours should make people swear off meat forever as well. The way that stench sticks to you is just a bonus, the main course can make you vomit.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Resting Lich Face posted:

oh gently caress she's gonna read my posts but also like drat that'd be kinda cool.

What will you do when her posting becomes more popular than yours?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Humphreys posted:

To get the the River Rhine?

Hö hö, jemand der Rhein schießt.

I'm not translating that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Here are AG's amazing rules for not getting hit by huge ships:

Avoid the big ship. They are much faster than you think, but they won't stop or change course much. They do not see you, and even if they do, they won't do poo poo but honk at you.

Also, consult your maps for nautical channels and only cross them when they are clear. Look both ways before crossing.

You learn that in school over here :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This pacifist generally prefers a very Zen approach to life but if that detector woke me in the middle of the night with no way to turn it off there would be murder. I'd probably drown it in the sink or smash it to bits and write a strongly worded letter in the morning.

Also, all cat owners know cats have a pretty good vocabulary, plus body language.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I was under the impression that autopilot landings are already extremely common. But nobody wants to make a big deal about it.

Unpopular opinion time: We will have self-driving car ability when we invent AGI, if we ever do. And then it'll be useless.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Y'all motherfuckers need Schuko.

e: RE: boiling water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 20, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Always the Danes ruining things :argh:

Don't be fooled by their smiley face sockets, they are a sinister bunch.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It would be funny if even their ovens had wimpy electricity. :classiclol:

400V three-phase is standard in Germany.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Moo the cow posted:

Germans and their ovens...

If you have a job, it's worth doing it properly :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

:stare:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I do not like that electrical panel at all. Also, I didn't see an RCCB on there. Are they installed elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Well a camera is just box that holds film/sensors properly positioned behind a lens. But you can certainly make reflector lenses for cameras:

I want one.

fakeedit: aww, fixed aperture. Still, on a tripod…hm.