Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I wanna see something cool at work sometime, all I saw in pharma was a massive drug spill and a bunch of slips, trips and falls

one of those slips was like a 4 point knee shatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I worked at a parenteral drug factory that got dropped by 2 insurance companies in the 4 years I was there for constantly being 3-10% above OSHA incident rate standard yearly ama

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I was in Socorro, NM in 2004 when one of those happened for like 40+ minutes sustained and I still flip the gently caress out the second I see hail, no matter how big, to this day

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Baseball size hail is a yearly event in Colorado and Wyoming, regionally. Golf ball is more frequent and widespread. But you never know where is going to get hit hard so you just learn to deal with it.

I never seem to encounter large hail. I might see dime and nickel size hail every couple of years. My last apartment complex got pummeled one day for 15-20 minutes, loving up lots of cars. I was at work a few miles away, only rained there.

Socorro got declared a FEMA zone over that, my buddy got $5k to fix his roof (:rolleyes:) out of the $1 billion they released to fix things up. NMT actually had just built a giant all-glass theater building that was literally a right triangle. Amazing looking structure, until it was torn to shreds. Every car in that city was turned to a totaled waterlogged golf ball or a shredded husk, depending on how old it was.

New Mexico, especially Albuquerque and cities south of that, don't generally get golf ball or baseball-sized hail. poo poo out in this region is barely built to handle upticks in moisture, 40+ minutes sustained of baseball-size and larger hail basically never happens. I was driving home from a stay in Jemez with my girlfriend last summer and a hailstorm started and I tried to turn back, but I was the leader of the pack. Everything went real well but I was so steeled the entire time, watching an entire parking lot of cars basically explode with water and ice outside your dorm room sticks with you.

edit: I decided to ditch my math class that day after a giant block of ice exploded next to my shin walking out from under the balcony first thing in the "morning," a few minutes before it started, but I missed out on a kid deciding that now was the time to grab a piece of this historic hailstorm. The ice that was around for days and days afterward, that I went snowboarding on at the golf course.
Yeah that kid fractured his skull, tibia and fibia and had to be emergency rescued and airlifted.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 26, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn that sounds nuts.

Obviously you don't get used to the hail, you get used to the threat. It really does seem to happen annually in east Colorado or Wyoming, out in the plains. I don't know that many houses are really built for hail though.

Big problem with NM and hail is that everything is flatroof

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

On the positive side, house insurance buys everyone a new roof every few years so you don't have that expense to deal with.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My stepfather basically did exactly this in Illinois, several times. When he tried it in Tennessee the most he could get out of insurance was half the price.

He's a hail magnet.

My dad just did that because the 10-year-old roof totally failed over his bedroom after a snow and he still had to pay, but not really that much. Probably like 15-18%. He still whined like it was full price, mind you.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This looks like the bogosort of industrial processes

https://i.imgur.com/j4Q6tyS.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bcvCUILOI
guess what happens when it doesn't run right and people keep putting stoppers in it

or better yet when they don't use silicone because it damages the product so all the stoppers stick together

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm sure they're just testing/demonstrating the machine here, but the thought of getting all the stoppers lined up just to dump them in a box is funny to me.

I was already thinking the pipe staircase would be perfect for the middle of a cartoon from the 40s showing a pipe getting cut into sections that are then shipped to another factory to be sorted and then welded back into a continuous pipe.

they run onto a chain head, at least the ones I worked on, and then cork the vial.

Unless it's set up wrong, then the lip of the vial is too high for the stopperhead and it chips it, then the inspector starts seeing chips an hour into the fill and all the chemo drugs you filled are sus

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Huh, seems like this is the typical method of aligning various widgets.

https://i.imgur.com/QvzncP1.mp4

I've never been in any sort of mass production environment so this poo poo is fascinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdKtvPtG4g
This is pretty similar to the line I worked on, except mine was much more... low budget, floor-model lemon Bosch and way more intimate, a machine surrounded by RABS in a room rather than a room built around a machine.
The stoppers are shaped big and weird and only go in halfway because they are going into a lyo, and that was how the plant I worked at did most of their volume, cuz freeze drying injectable drugs is the way to go if you can.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

metal as gently caress, literally and figuratively

The Real Amethyst posted:

No reversing beepers, and is it just a global requirement for foundry workplaces to be as dark as possible at all times or something?

you want everything to be brightly well-lit while your primary job hazard is identifying glowing-hot metal?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

quote is not edit

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Ablative posted:

I thought truck brakes were supposed to close when they lost line pressure?

poo poo doesn't always work, and that guy had some real skills in the total-failure scenario

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Kenning posted:

Holy gently caress

:yikes:

my wave machine is bridging everything and I put my hand down on a couple molten SAC solder balls last night and it was extremely unpleasant. Sometimes I hit myself with a 900F airgun in the finger or something and realize that there's no burn or blister and everything is numb because I cooked a small portion of the inside of my finger real fast.

Slamming your bare face into glowing molten whatever is a whole different level.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 7, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

I remember a discussion about whether that person got their face melted or if they had a face shield that saved them.

I've done enough video review in my life that it looks like he was wearing a shield, but still, lol gently caress having any part of your body within a foot of that loving thing uncontained

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

:siren::siren::getin::unsmigghh::siren::siren:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ilmucche posted:

I was told by a guy if you're going to get splashed you want to get splashed by steel. Steel cauterizes and slips off with a burn while alu sticks

SAC solder rolls off and leaves you angry at yourself, not sure about lead cuz I've never dealt with it in an industrial setting

holy fuckin poo poo lol

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress yeah that dudes gettin it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1Uf78Vu.mp4
Seems like OSHA should be taking steps to prevent workplace decapitations

sick 1080 noscope from the leninhead

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pretty partial to these ones after seeing them all night every night for 5 years

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

causal chill takeoff. just don't do it on anything that's not a super specialized surface.

eh, as much of a boondoggle the F-35 was, it's a decent plane and pretty much every fighter jet is a boondoggle when it's first introduced.

It's just that the turnaround time is 30-40 years instead of 5 now.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Real Amethyst posted:

Whenever I see supermarket, delivery, security robots or drones I get an animalistic murderous intent that surfaces from deep within.

I want to destroy them.

get ur roboracism outta here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

So does Dr Manhattan show up regularly or is it just more of a general precaution?

if you're lucky, you could touch a puddle of pure botulinum toxin in a filling room with a ripped glove and be eternally young*

*not a guarantee

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I am 100 percent convinced these don't do anything but drive around and reinforce to employees that they are very expendable to the walmart corp.

:sad: they didn't put witch hats and skeleton masks on the COBOT arms at work this year, truly a sign that we're about to shut down for good

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

I don't get ropes, why does the difference in how they clip matter here?

there's a movie about ropes, it's called Touching the Void

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You can read the Therac-25 reports to find out what it feels like to be hit with an electron beam with "ionize the air" sort of power.

Fun

quote:

Previous models had hardware interlocks to prevent such faults, but the Therac-25 had removed them, depending instead on software checks for safety.

I worked with two TL vial fillers built in the 70's and one built by Bosch in 2012 and I would always take the fully manual ones over the computer-automated one any fuckin day, and poo poo like this is why.

I don't want a computer overriding me at every step when the reservoir is full of cytotoxic chemo drugs, antibiotics, botulism or opiates tbqh. E-stops are last-resort, not, "well it's acting funny."

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 26, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

By popular demand posted:

But just imagine how many man hours of labour were saved by not optimising the UI or implementing cogent error messages or thoroughly testing the code, not to mention the savings from not using hardware safeties!
Why are you against progress!?

one of the reasons I really like the Panasonic CM600-series chipmounters I work on currently (ours were built around 99 and installed in 2000) is because everything is a hardware safety. Tape bunched up and pushed the feeder 1mm out of position? Red light, alarm, machine shuts down. Bumped the cover up a bit too hard on accident? Red light, alarm, machine shuts down. You literally have to override like 3 or 4 hardware switches to make them do something imminently dangerous, and the #1 point of safety training on those machines is, "don't touch this switch on the front of the machine ever - nor will you need to!" The rest are buried and only maint can physically get to them in any way that doesn't sound an alarm, anyway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

GD_American posted:

We lost a millwright at UOP Honeywell from a software malfunction on a muller that was supposedly fully locked out. A dump door underneath it suddenly triggered and opened, and its hydraulic arm swung back to compress the chest of the millwright standing in the way to about 3 inches deep.

After the investigation we were given big welded braces to put on the arm when LO/TO work was being done on it. When I asked “did they fix the software” I was told Honeywell’s position was that there was nothing wrong with the software and the millwright must have done something wrong.

I never found out how the family’s lawsuit turned out. I was laid off there a year later.

I work with a lot of people from Honeywell Albuquerque (that shut down in what, 1999?) and gently caress me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

GD_American posted:

I found a description in the lawsuit, and am spoilering it just for folks that don't want to see a description of someone dying

Here is the accusation, which pretty much covers it

Oh it happened in a puposefully-designed third- world country

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

haveblue posted:

Why don't they just raise the propellor

have I got an airplane/double helicopter for you!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Pro: The Osprey can crash without bending its propellers
Con: The Osprey can crash. It's downright good at it.

(Or have I fallen victim to baseless anti-Osprey propaganda?)

just like any airplane, they work well now after getting the bugs out except Russian ones, evidently

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lmao the car stuck in the middle

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I got recerted last October and our person trained us in mouth to mouth with a shield but said it's at your discretion and it's better to just do compressions if you're unsure or don't want to do it.

I first got certed with this company in March 2020 about 4 days before lockdowns started and dude was a firefighter and trained us to not do M2M because *waves hands wildly*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Byzantine posted:

...how are you doing mouth-to-mouth with a face shield?

it's an expensive breathable dental dam that sometimes has a valve in it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

I trained to be an EMT but ended up working as a courier because delivering garment bags and architectural rolls paid more than delivering people who needed urgent medical care, and it had a fraction of the liability. It's a hosed up system the US has

my CPR card lives at work, for all intents and purposes I only know CPR 8 hours a day Sunday-Thursday night.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Swilo posted:

Bearer of low hanging fruit Cody's Lab has a new video where he plays with HF and does not follow any of the rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uv-ih1GkJk

Dumps water into concentrated acid, wears what are likely nitrile gloves instead of vinyl or neoprene, intentionally splashing it around in his containment dish to make vapor clouds, drops things into the acid then fishes them back out by hand, uses drinking straws as chopsticks :stonklol:

using straws as chopsticks to pull agate out of HF while wearing the wrong gloves

I hate everything about this video

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Those are incandescents. You can even see the filaments glowing as they cool down after the power is cut.

Those yellow filaments are LEDs

Efb

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Uthor posted:

Heh, I'm pretty sure I've seen people in AI say that they can tell what is leaking from their cars by smelling/tasting.

I mean, car fluids all have real strong, distinct smells.
gently caress tasting any of that poo poo!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Computer viking posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that produces some fun gases?

Cl

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lmao been there buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol you could always tell when visitors were afoot in my old plant from the horsey clip-clop of slip-on toecaps