Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone actually curious about Marijuana concentration in laboratory testing should look up the "NHTSA Drug Fact Sheets". They're two or three pages for each drug, 80 total pages last time I checked. I'm phone posting so won't search it out and block quote a giant pdf but take my word for it, it's worth googling!

The fact sheets are written for drug DUI policing, so they're written for cop intelligence (zing) while being useful for lawyers, jurors, and judges. They are sciency but accessible! The best kind of science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

While you were thinking that, I was thinking "Lean back you idiot!"

While you two were thinking that, I was thinking "some middle manager put him there so that when he jumps off and the thing flips, the manager has someone to blame."

The thing tipped over 'cause Dale jumped off! We all agreed it was a great plan and perfectly balanced! loving Dale!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

What's the problem Boeing's trying to solve there?

Don't companies own patents for the sake of owning patents? Boeing is probably going through a dictionary and pairing each word with "airplane," making up some invention, and filing a patent. Who knows if that particular patent holds the secrets to space elevators or the next generation of monorail or something?

By owning every silly patent they can think of, Boeing forestalls some dude in a Florida garage ending up with the patent for email.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 12, 2020

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think some crews toss bombs onto the snow from helicopters LOL

EDIT: "What are you doing this weekend?" Oh, not much, just hand-fusing 50 pound bundles of explosives wrapped in duct tape, lighting them, then chucking them out of a helicopter."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJkZgjrzJ40

I knew a 20ish dude who put his sick cat Ninja in a backpack and went trudging over active avalanche flows trying to get to the vet while the wildlife troopers in the helicopter were dropping those bombs.

The troopers had to actually arrest him because when they landed he refused to voluntarily turn around. He wanted to get his cat to that vet.

He was a nice guy. A bit weird, but nice. The cat was super cute.

Edit: ha found the article, with a picture of Ninja!
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/article/woman-says-she-tried-cross-richardson-highway-closed-due-avalanches-save-her-cat/2014/01/30/

Double edit: I found a video of the avalanche the knucklehead was scrambling over with his backpack cat. https://youtu.be/ijeHF0MWoyc

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 6, 2021

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
There's a great book about what happens to your body after you donate it to science. Stiff is the name. I have the subtitle wrong but it's something line Stiff: the secret lives of cadavers.

Testing armor shoes for removing landmines. Car crash tests. Airplane crash tests. Cadaver farms. Crucifixion tests. But not bomb tests, as your primary injury in an explosion is your lungs get damaged, and that only happens when inflated.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Drunk me decided to lick the frosting off of the pie slicer that I had just used to slice and serve a cake. The pie slicer had a serrated edge, which cut the poo poo out of the corner of my mouth, Joker style. Drunk me then decided the best solution was to stick a wadded up paper towel in my mouth and hope nobody noticed.

They noticed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sankara posted:

Why would anyone buy such a thing?

Nobody is going to buy the vest.

Tesla, Ford, and Apple are going to get in a bidding war for the patent to subscription airbags though, and the inventor is going to make a billion dollars.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Am I the only one impressed by how shiny that floor is? The ladder and widget maker reflect with great clarity!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The barbershop on base, that does two hundred buzz cuts per day, duct tapes a shop vac hose to the clippers. That's safe, fast, and the cleanup is built right in!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

I read your text before the tweet and thought "who's bombing the Welsh? They ain't did nothing to deserve that :("

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Harry_Potato posted:

If you shoot Coke out your nose it burns pretty good. I assume the posterior path has the same issue...

What's the word I'm looking for?

That posterior exit has a corresponding anterior cavity into which expanding gases may cause disasters of various flavors.

If you were to expect experiencing explosive excreta posteriorly but then you experience rapidly expanding upper colon cavities, you would also express surprise, I'm sure.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 14, 2021

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Found this in the Nintendo thread.

For some reason, at first I thought those were for nostrils, and you were mocking some sort of smell-o-vision plug. Now that would be a fantastic invention.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

It's only 12 volts, so it isn't going to hurt you to grab the shopping cart (unless you grab the molten section). I think I would just kick the whole thing over and try to shake it out.

I had an electrician with nine fingers make this exact same argument to me when I was chatting him up about something. "It's only a car battery it won't hurt you none." Sure thing man I'll trust the guy who blew off his right thumb and burned the poo poo out of the rest of his hand loving around with electricity while drunk.

One thing I remember about him is that he had really long finger nails because he couldn't trim the left side without a right thumb and he was too manly to go get it done.

Nice dude. Sobered up and now volunteers several times a week at church. Still don't trust him though.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to think of an old friend!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Trolling motor

"Hey BigHead, I wrote a book titled How To Avoid Ur Mom! Heyoo!" - a motor, trolling.

My scissor lift pool boat didn't move guys.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Has a house containing a small dog fallen on McConnell yet?!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

What do they do?

They're dumpsters, for holding trash. They get taken to the dump and dumped. :eng101:

That guy is describing a situation where he laments at throwing away expensive widget makers.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Edit woops I was way behind the times.

Great snipe too.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The cheapest apartment I ever rented, in the depths of my wasteful bachelor days, was directly adjacent to one of those crossings. Like I could have thrown a rock and hit the intersection.

It was far, far worse than the place I lived adjacent to a meth house, or the place I lived adjacent to the farm. It drove me completely suicidal and homicidal, not to mention severely curtailing my chances at getting laid.

I used to be very anti nimby until I lived there. If they can't ban the horns, ban the crossings themselves. I can't imagine trying to raise kids there, with those horns blasting every two hours from 4am to 10pm. They so dramatically lower property values too, if nothing else. I'll buy the pitchforks and torches to support their peasant uprising.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

So, what did your mom's gynecologist say when he excited the Jeep?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Those things are scary. I used a couple of them to lift up some lighting truss at a stagehand gig once, and the entire time I was just ready to leap away as the whole thing collapsed.

:eng101: Being scared of crabs is solved with simple exposure therapy. A lifetime of fear can wash away with about twenty minutes of just hanging around, walking sideways, exploring a can you find on the beach, waving at your neighbor, that sort of thing. 100 percent success rate too.

Though you shouldn't really use crabs as substitutes for caribeners. Lighting trusses should be lifted with OSHA approved rigs. Crabs are the OSHA approvers of the sea, but they are not approved for any sort of permanent hoisting (on land).

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

18 billion calories, divided by 2000 calories per day, is 9 million days worth of calories. There are currently 528 goons in GBS, meaning that's a mere 17,045 and change days of calories per goon, or 46.7 years. That's probably a little old for the average goon, but not by much.

What I'm trying to say is the entirety of everyone browsing GBS probably hasn't yet collectively eaten a gram of uranium's worth of food in their lifetime, but it's close.

How long would it take the forums to eat 15 kilograms of U235? If one wanted a literally nuclear fart.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 1, 2022

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I like freeway nomenclature chat.

Alaska doesn't use numbers. Every highway is named. The only place you see the numbers is on a few of the newer, larger street signs. Like if I said I was taking highway one to Valdez for the weekend, someone would probably punch me. I lived there most of my life and despite having only, like, four highways in the whole state I couldn't give you their official fancy numbers.

When I moved to civilization it was a completely bizarre experience to realize I needed to learn how to do basic navigation. For instance, I was well into my thirties before I figured out that interstate exit numbers coincided with mile markers. That's just not a concept you learn in Alaska. You just take the Chugiak exit.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

What arrests his fall at the end? Surely it's not just the other guy catching him, the angle is too steep?

Also what is that twine he was using at the start? I need to ask my rock climbing friends wtf is going on here.

Edit how did I miss like eight posts on this.

I don't think the rope broke, I think the anchor came out. He's lead climbing, not top roping. As you lead climb, you bring the rope along with you, and you slip it into gadgets that are anchored into the wall. You climb ten feet to the next anchor, slip the rope in, climb ten more, slip the rope in, and so on. It looks like the anchor holding the gadget came out of the rock wall as soon as he put weight on it. He's got ten feet of rope between him and the next anchor below him, so he falls twenty feet before his fall is arrested.

The bottom dude standing on the ground holds the bottom end of the rops, so if the top guy falls bottom guy takes the weight and might shoot up a little bit, stopping the top guy's fall.

I've seen climbers land rear end first onto the climber below them from a fall like this, causing concussions.

Top roping is where you're tied to the ceiling or the top of the cliff. It's much easier.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 24, 2022

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Who amongst us would not combine forkin' and fuckin'?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Uh excuse me, God could make a cancer free asbestos if he really wanted to

Wouldn't it be great if asbestos were made of crabs instead of causing death through terrible disease? Maybe the guys at the asbestos factory just messed up the instructions.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I had an uncle in northern Maine who would stay glued to his police scanner waiting for deer hit reports. One time we had to convince him not to go after one they cleared off the road with a snow shovel.

In Alaska the troopers keep a list of folks who sign up willing to come pick up dead moose. Every time a moose gets hit they just call down the list until someone shows up to cart the moose away. Or you can send a tow truck to deliver the moose to your garage.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Also that list (if it exists) is entirely native peoples because they legally have the first right of refusal for all roadkill moose.

What no it isn't and yes it does exist. Your post could not be more wrong. Why would you just make a post like this up, on the internet of all places? I'm on the list and get one every year or two, and I'm as native as a floor lamp. I'd post a picture of a moose getting delivered on a tow truck if it didn't show my house.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
What the cluck

The roosters cock-a-doodle-doo-ing in the background are unnerving.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Apt Chinese New Year post. That would just about cover my family's dumpling consumption rate today.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I've seen you post this same epilepsy questions in several threads, and those are just in the threads I have bookmarked.

I'm glad you are taking up the mantle of this cause, and it sounds like it's an important thing that is especially important to you. As you embark on this, though, please remember that while your perspective is important and valid, it is only one important and valid perspective. Like, don't forget that another important perspective is that the purpose of an ambulance is to get a dying patient to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Maybe whoever decides the strobing pattern of the lights doesn't know about the epilepsy issue, and it's good for them to also have that in mind when making their decision. But be prepared for the epilepsy issue to not be the only driving factor in their decision, if that makes sense.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

From what I remember they're actually better off falling from, like, 10 stories than 2 because they have time to flatten out and go through a seam in the ground.

I heard a RadioLab once where they interviewed an academic who studied the lethality of terminal velocity in cats. Apparently this researcher dug up veterinary data from some city, and could filter for cats that fell out of windows.

The conclusion was that cats can survive short falls and long falls. It's the medium falls that get them, when they are approaching but have not yet met terminal velocity. The reasoning was that the cat was still, like, limbering up as it fell, and only once it had time to fully prepare for the arrest at the end of the fall would their chances of survival go way up.

He identified specific floors that were most fatal for defenestrated cats. 5 through 9 are the most fatal. The record for surviving was 42 floor fall! It was an excellent listen.

https://radiolab.org/episodes/91726-falling

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 24, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

That's exactly what every single car in Alaska looks like every March-May. That constantly thawing and freezing road sand and dog poo poo mud is a complete nightmare every spring.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Did she bring the missing bit of calf that she retrieved from the shark, or did her dad cut off his own leg so she could pickle it and bring it in for show and tell?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you haven't checked your external dryer vent for bird nests then today's a good day to do it! :backtowork:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Turpitude posted:

Quite a bit of OSHA in Failarmy's "idiots on boats" compilation! Linked to a specific clip where a fisherman gets a mast dropped on him. My dad was a fisherman and there is some serious stupidity going on there, they cut another fishboat off at the start of the clip before the other thing happens. pisses me off to no end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOY8TljSBI&t=452s

That happens because the Department of Natural Resources will establish a strict and exact line across the mouth of, say a bay that a huge salmon run is about to enter. The best spot to drop your net is parallel to that line as close as you can get to the line without going over. That way the most salmon have the greatest opportunity to hit your net. Boats jostle, and sometimes if the captains hate each other they'll just resort to ramming each other. That clip looked like two boats (probably owned by the same guy) tried to block out that boat with the camera. Likely those two boats got to the sweet spot first. Camera boat tried to shoot the gap to jump the line, but misjudged so he got rammed.

There's likely a DNR cop in a bush plane flying circles around the bay. He radios to the DNR boat cop who will write tickets to the rammer and rammed boat, most likely.

I've seen dudes die from doing that poo poo, and boat captains get arrested for their murder.

Edit parallel not perpendicular, duh

BigHead fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 14, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Just imagine this encounter from God's perspective.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
OSHA IV: We get a nice fireball.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ok, yeah, this fits.

Hey it's your 18th posting anniversary tomorrow. We've decided to drop you off at the Air Force recruitment center as a birthday present! Good luck!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Looks like a pretty standard diving school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

There's not some single "legal definition of weapon." Some places ban possession of slingshots. Some don't. For example, New Jersey specifically bans slingshots right alongside brass knuckles and switchblades.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-je...ny%20firearm,e.

Others don't.

The general definition of a deadly weapon is "any item, the manner in which it is used being capable of causing serious physical injury." The key is how an assailant uses the rope or the slingshot or the brick or whatever. Wrap a rope around someone's neck and squeeze, then it's a deadly weapon. Hit them with a rope like a whip, then it's not. Throw a pen at someone, not deadly, but stab them in the eye, deadly weapon. This (generally) also applies to hands and feet. Kick someone in the balls, not a deadly weapon. Literal (assault description) American History X curb stomp, deadly weapon.

I used to be a prosecutor and we'd litigate this all the time. We'd get some pretty wild fact patterns but I'll spare gbs the graphic descriptions of horrible assaults.