Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Shut up Meg posted:

Remember when this guy was the bad guy?

That aged worse than the scenes where the middle-aged Ghostbuster professors were trying to hit on their freshmen students

Ivan Reitman made the EPA the real villain of Ghostbusters on purpose and he’s on the record saying that he did it to inspire new generations of libertarians.

Bear that in mind as you reflect on the (actually really excellent) 2016 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Humphreys posted:

Oh and Sydney is still going ahead with it's $6 Million New Years Eve Fireworks even though there is a total fire ban across much of the country.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/fire-authorities-give-sydney-s-new-year-s-eve-fireworks-the-green-light

Why not spend that money on getting in more equipment to fight the bushfires?

Ah! That's Capitalism!

I’d be more concerned with the fact that Australia is the worlds largest coal exporter and shows no signs of stopping.

Some might call it irony. Or divine retribution.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
So, what you’re saying is that Grape-Kun probably has a forums account and might even be posting in this thread?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

australian s hugely racist.

Fixed it for you.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Uthor posted:

That's, like, easily what an American car would regularly hold while moving at slower highway speeds. Not sure if you were trying to reassure us here...

if you hit anything at 60mph you're in real trouble, and in an older vehicle, completely hosed. Crash testing is at 40mph. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05/this-institute-crash-tests-cars-to-make-us-all-safer/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

There's no such thing as combined speed. Unless one car keeps going unimpeded, a head on collision with both cars going 40mph is the same as hitting a wall at 40mph.

No, not really. For one thing, different cars have different masses. And two cars each traveling at 40mph towards each other will each have their own mass and acceleration to bring to the party.

Think of it this way - if you're going 40mph and someone rear ends you doing 41mph, that person is not experiencing the same force as if they hit a brick wall at 40mph, are they?

Fake edit: you appear to be trolling but it's not obvious so I'm going to still reply to you like you're an idiot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Memento posted:

"Did my time in Vietnam, still mad at Uncle Sam" is a solid song lyric.

It would be if Vietnam and Sam rhymed :eng101: ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Edit - never mind, who cares.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 10, 2020

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Solution: hide the paraglider among as many cranes

The fact that the pilot appears to be Vladimir Putin is extremely confusing to me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Imagined posted:

There is also reperfusion injury, which is trauma caused by blood flow suddenly returning to a tissue after a period of hypoxia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reperfusion_injury

So I think it's plausible that someone could be crushed in such a way that they're still talking but essentially dead as soon as they're released.

Ischemia, not hypoxia.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Gotcha. Fair point. And capitalism being what it is, the trucker's lobby to keep deisel prices down because otherwise doing so would cut into profits delivery of goods.

So normal poo poo hole American economics. Peachy.

Please, it’s “diesel”. :eng101: (actually technically German 101 because Rudolph Diesel was German).

sharkytm posted:

Living in America means you have access to the most sophisticated and fast logistics system in the world. I mean, where else could I order some oddball item from my phone for next-day delivery? If I lived in a major city, there's a good chance that it would be same-day if it was a common item.

Off the top of my head, Canada, Japan, the UK, France, Germany, probably also China, Italy, Russia and more.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2020

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure you've ever interacted with Canada Post or the Royal Mail if you think this.

Do you think USPS is the company doing same-day Amazon Prime delivery? There are private courier companies in the UK and I’m sure Canada too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Edit- nm. The world doesn’t need another pointless argument right now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Would be nice if JSC had gotten a real shuttle instead of the fake one they put on the transporter plane.

Texas got one of its own in February 2003. :O

The Shuttle was a garbage design that killed 14 astronauts and almost many more. It should never have been crew-rated or even built in the first place.

Challenger blowing up on your 10th birthday will have that effect.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Nm, didn’t see the mod note

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Last week someone set off the foam in a hangar at Heathrow, right after BA announced how it was going to gently caress over its staff.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

the fart question posted:

i can't stop watching the loop. Looks like it was at anchor when the wave hit, so hopefully noone was onboard.

the fart question posted:

i can't stop watching the loop. Looks like it was at anchor when the wave hit, so hopefully noone was onboard.

It looks like there’s two people sitting in the back. :/

Is that Teahupo’o?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

HardDiskD posted:

Didn't some kid amass enough of those to create a backyard nuclear reactor?

An idiot in the Ars forums also turned his parents house into a radioactive waste superfund site https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=155929

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Platystemon posted:

LOL

e:

O.K., I’m going to need to know this Arsian’s current whereabouts:

The last thing I remember about him was this thread where he said he was suffering from testicular and skin cancers: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1118045&start=40

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

haveblue posted:

From the followup thread, several different cancers

And white supremacy, apparently.

We never had a smoke detector problem when we rented, but when we lived in Lexington our rental house there had been wired by ADT many years before, but not with service for at least a decade. About every six months there would be a brownout or something at 3am that set off the alarm, at high volume, and almost no way to shut it off. Can’t even remember how we finally disabled it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Wait. Australia made buildings out of polystyrene foam?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimihia posted:

^ structural filing cabinet

https://twitter.com/clp/status/1273500598026076160

You may have missed my very first sentence where I stated that it is wired into the alarm system. This requires one to both turn off the mains power to the building alarm and disassemble the secret control box hidden behind the spiders in the attic, whilst the alarm blares.

That was similar to the ADT burglar alarm we dealt with, iirc

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PinheadSlim posted:

My sister is convinced that wearing your seatbelt is like caving into the man, and that they only exist so cops can write you tickets for not wearing them.

She's such an otherwise reasonable person, but this makes me want to straight up Stone Cold Steve Austin Stunner her.

20-40% of this country has oppositional defiant disorder. I’m guessing your sister is too young for lead poisoning to be the reason?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I mean technically it’s only a condition that affects kids, but how else to explain the coal rolling, “gently caress you I won’t wear a face mask in the middle of the worst pandemic for a century” segment of the country?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

One more question, is that an old Porsche pulling it? lol

Yes, it looks like a 968.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

This is exactly what happened, though it's not necessarily that the gun is cheap; barrel obstructions are super dangerous.

When I hunt I have a little plastic cover that I slip over the muzzle so I don't accidentally cartoon my rifle by getting some snow or mud in there.

Does it unpeel along the rifling? That’s pretty cool.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

haveblue posted:

Larger, longer version with more lead-in: https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/hfzgon/2_idiots_running_a_red_biker_lucky_to_be_alive/

Hard to tell but everyone else is behaving as though the light is red and the van has the right of way. Car and biker both hosed up but only car paid for it.

No, the van also paid.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Slide, yes. Tumbling is what causes injuries as that’s when your limbs try and come off.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Azathoth posted:

Putting aside why something that dangerous exists for professional racers, why in the three legged gently caress do they have an amateur race?

They don’t, they have no speed limits outside of the towns and after the race events are done the roads are opened and people can drive the course.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Pail Ale posted:

I badly wanted him to bean himself with the tyre.

There’s no tyre in that video.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Real Amethyst posted:

Pretty sure those auto brake systems only detect solid objects like metal. i.e other cars

No, AEB is camera-based. And Volvo’s system will detect humans and even large quadrupeds as well. But it wasn’t turned on for that demo, which was also several years ago because that is not a current model.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Unfortunately I believe that video is sped up and he’s actually just driving down Irohazaka at normal speed :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

During the storm yesterday a power line fell down and cut power to the neighborhood. Then the line itself caught on fire in the street while waiting for pepco to show up then the street caught on fire.

Fire dept showed up 5 mins after it happened but couldn't do anything because the wire was still live.

When they finally shut off the power the fire dept had to chop a hole in the road to chase the fire.

The line was down 3 houses up from us and even while inside you could hear the electricity making noise.

One of the best things about living in SW is that all our power lines are buried. I hope you get service back before too long, this heat is brutal with no AC.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

In total it was about 6 hours for them to get the neighborhood powered back up.

There's a gnarly pot hole repair over the hole they had to chop in the road that will probably quickly fail and remain a problem judging on how normal pot holes are treated around here.

If it’s Pepco you might be OK. They just dug up most of 4th St SW and a couple of weeks ago came back and repaved the street, and even put in new concrete sidewalks which they’d previously torn up. I was shocked!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Dysgenesis posted:

I once did a track day where we drove a variety of cars but the craziest by far were the Ariel Atoms and it was trying to stop the car spinning out under breaking that was the only really scary thing.

Sure, but an Atom is light and has way more power than grip. An F1 car has slick tires and aero, and well-set up, it shouldn’t be on the verge of binning it every time you use the left pedal. But remember, F1 drivers are a LOT better than you are at trail-braking. Plus they can tweak things like brake bias which can help solve problems like that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Tesla is still ahead of everyone else when it comes to range efficiency, which seems to be the main electric car benchmark anyone cares about. The Koreans aren’t far behind, as is GM. Of course, those companies can all build cars where the rear seats are attached and they don’t hide their recalls and warranty costs, which is why even though they build tens of millions of vehicles each year neither are worth as much as a company that struggles to build 350k cars a year.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Now for a good occupational safety yarn:

I guarantee the man who wrote that refers to small measurements in terms of female public hair.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

from nukemap, a 1.2kt surface burst centered on the warehouse. the orange circle is the expected diameter of the fireball and the red is the area of "total destruction", which correspond pretty closely with what we saw in the videos and photos of the aftermath.

the gray ring shows where the blast overpressure would have fallen to 10kPa, which from what I can find is about where you'd expect a 50% chance of ruptured eardrums.

It’s unlikely the explosion was 1.2kt; 240-300 tons is probably a more reasonable estimate.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but he was not actually rubbing one out in a pyroclastic flow.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pompeii-man-ruins/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

if you scroll down there's a bunch of pixalated pictures but one of them isn't and it's some dudes foot broken, pointing the wrong way, and very meaty

it's described as a "open fracture from a fall from a ladder"

The first one I saw (that you have to click to reveal) was a person's hand almost neatly sliced in two. Nopenopenopenope.