Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

At least put a brick on it so it doesn't roll off, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not enough PPE in the world

https://i.imgur.com/wjEws5I.mp4

Apparently some of the scrap metal was still damp.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Please note the second person in the picture in the yellow hi-viz directly under where the limbs are falling.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

That car parked next to the underground tank just loving vanishes. It lifts right up, then falls into hell.

I really hope there was no one in there.

I used to work at a petrol station and we got inductions on the underground tanks. There's just no way they should be able to explode like that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Raygereio posted:

The shittiest thing to me in the original tweet was the line "we appreciate law enforcement's service"

I get that these are all just stock lines that some unpaid PR intern puts together. But for fucks sake, pay some attention to what's going on.

Epic High Five posted:

we express our condolences to whats-his-name and thank the cops who killed him for their service

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That's a whole lotta people who did not need to be near that work area.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

drat, Kiwis paying 233 cents per litre on petrol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Nocheez posted:

Guilloteen.

Sounds like a canteen which cuts your head off them you take a drink.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

That's how actor Anton Yelchin died.

But his car just rolled back and wedged him against a brick wall and security fence, he didn't actually run in front of it trying to ghost ride the gate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

speaking of fire extinguishers

https://i.imgur.com/fn4OzNV.mp4

Argh, man I've to use chemical extinguisher a couple times and they are just nasty.

It's a tribute to Russian alcoholism stoicism that the driver was able to stand as much of that stuff to the face as he did.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Supradog posted:

Is there a name for this "item"? I feel it should have a name?

Tosheroonternet

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

And the ignition is still on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Humphreys posted:

Oh and Sydney is still going ahead with it's $6 Million New Years Eve Fireworks even though there is a total fire ban across much of the country.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/fire-authorities-give-sydney-s-new-year-s-eve-fireworks-the-green-light

Why not spend that money on getting in more equipment to fight the bushfires?

This is the same LNP government (think Republicans) which has cut over $200million from the emergency services budget over the last couple years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Propaganda Hour posted:

Not OSHA, but slow-moving avalanches don't gently caress around

https://twitter.com/W_Nelson/status/1213219402251829248?s=19

I'm curious - what's the difference between a very slow avalanche and a very fast glacier?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You could also get a job as a "sky cowboy" and herd cattle.

Their skillset is even more insane than firefighting pilots.

Also - that video of the helicopter moving cut logs from a forest to a waiting truck which was baller as hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Hate to be the guy triple posting poo poo, but it really does put things into perspective:

(Note that Box Hill is about 250 kilometres away from the big bushfires)

I'm fortunate that the AQI where I am is merely an "unhealthy" 250. It's usually about 13.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 14, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
^^^ Stay safe and try not to breathe unless absolutely necessary!

Memento posted:

I went to the supermarket earlier with my N2 mask on, and I wasn't the only person walking around Woolworths with one around my neck, and no one looked at me funny.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
No, sorry, this is my headcannon now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Blindspots.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Genuinely expecting that guy to eat poo poo there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Isn't this what using hemp rope is supposed to avoid?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Spent the whole video waiting for the rogue wave to hit, got a hell of a surprise.

Of course, so did they.

Going to wager that video is going to be used in training to reinforce just that point you mentioned - always tie off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I watched this way too long before my brain worked out what I was looking at.

It kept insisting that, no, the metal frame had to be in the distance and very large, it couldn't possibly be on top of that car.

[video]That one Father Ted scene[/video]

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 30, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It took me a couple loops to realize that this was the intended outcome. Basically a sideways wind shear jet landing but for boats.

My concern is that now thousands of tonnes of metal ship side is rubbing hard up against that dock.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

kimihia posted:

Power company came to disconnect the power. But all the fuses are mislabeled. When the place was sub-divided they had a few different numbering schemes. One numbering scheme is used for mail. One is used for the council. One is used for the power company fuses. Then the electrician came to mend the cable. He pulled, and pulled. There was an extra metre of cable down there in a gigantic loop, which he chopped out and spliced. Then buried again.

Now all the fuses are labeled the same way as for mail delivery.

Why does mail need its own buried powerline?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

`Nemesis posted:

If they had an airframe parachute they could of landed vertically instead

Better a thousand dead dentists than a single safe landing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Massive storms put out nearly a third of the fires in NSW.

Now everything's just flooded.

This is so stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Should have made the pipe clear.

For shits and giggles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

That's what I thought, but normal hirail setup may be much heavier compared to that little rack.

Also, you can swap it between trucks if one is out for repairs which you can't do with the usual hirail setup.

It's simple, elegant and easy to use.

I love specialty equipment which has so obviously been designed by someone who knew what they were doing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jet Jaguar posted:

The only thing that is missing to make it perfect is way for it to somehow transform into a handcart if the tiny truck is busy doing something else.

Two guys on bike rollers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So Stihl Germany is no fun.
All their events feature full PPE for all participants.

So glad Australian woodchops are still pretty much old school.

Fat men with huge arms in blue singlets brutalising the gently caress out of tree trunks thicker than their guts.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The top fell off.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Motherfucking Mike Mulligan!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

KoRMaK posted:

unironically would love a mobile-no-way thread or tag or something

Bring back the [56k Go Eat A Dick] thread titles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Apparently YouTube contacted the developer and said they needed to do an API audit (because the extension obviously was hitting the API pretty hard from a lot of places). The developer basically said he didn't have time or energy to deal with that and stopped developing the project - he open sourced it, or rather I think it was already open source but he said anyone who wants to take it over and deal with YouTube, feel free, but yeah that's why it got removed from the Chrome webstore and eventually stopped working if you had it installed (I think YouTube blocked the API key). And presumably no one wants to deal with YouTube's requirements, whatever they are.

Really annoying because it's one of those things you don't realize how useful it is until it's gone. There are some ViolentMonkey scripts that supposedly do the same thing but I haven't had much luck with any of them.

You can generate your own API key for YouTube and insert it into the script and it still works perfectly.

It's simple to do, but most people aren't willing to take the few minutes of effort it requires.

EDIT: Okay, found the link to get your own API and everything else you need to do to get it working

Also, if you comment out the nine or so lines in the script which start with "embed:function", it will mesh perfectly with the forums software.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 11, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Modest Mao posted:

Lockdown started late january, about as soon as the national government realized the situation, 12 days after the first death and about 2 weeks since it was noted to be a novel virus. idk how you describe that as "let it run rampant for a good long while". They shut down the country during the biggest holiday in the world.

China absolutely set a good standard for how to deal with pandemics, bested by Taiwan and South Korea who had more time advantage and a foreign source, rather than internal. The west is not trying to replicate any of those successes despite having the foresight china lacked and Italy and Spain are showing you the results.

sorry for your racist brain tho

You're an apologist for concentration camps and genocide.

You have no standing to be trying to call out anyone for racism you piece of poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Modest Mao posted:

? I've posted in like every china thread against the policy in xinjiang, or is there something else?

Is it cause I said I want a return to FDR's politics in the bernie thread?

Modest Mao posted:

I think China's project is basically to show that state power is absolute and to 'reeducate' the local populace, and to the end of stopping violent attacks I believe the evidence shows it works which is why the CCP is saying "what's the problem?"

One thing that I think is less talked about is that Xinjiang is now about 50/50 Uighur ethnic, around 11mil people, and Han see them as minority. Xinjiang is 'autonomous' and the government does have uighur members.

Also from this population of 11 million, the imprisoned officially make up 22% of prisoners in a country of 1,386 million.

The government has, since the foundation of the CCP, nominally tried to protect minority groups, excluding them from the one child policy (now two child policy) and giving them favor for getting into good schools, etc. A lot of Han will see these camps as a trade off for those favorable policies, "okay now your people have to learn the official language and support our government, after they supported you." I see that a lot in comments on chinese sites about this topic.

I think these facts help me understand the narrative better

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CebJnPu.mp4

It’s hypnotic and kinda disturbing to watch.

If you want disturbing, watch the video where they threw a dead cow into one of those things.

No, I'm not linking it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The front fell off

https://i.imgur.com/ibosIQM.mp4

xposting from the aeronautics thread in Automotive Insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ReelBigLizard posted:

I made my own PPE today. Trying to find solutions for second line medical staff and service workers locally. ER nearly ran out of face shields the other night.

https://twitter.com/boudloForge/status/1242981610913501185

I have some A4 laminating pouches, they'd probably work just as well.