Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Apparently anchor chains aren't actually attached to ships and there's usually only a hand-operated braking mechanism that prevents the entire thing from just violently throwing itself overboard (As the video shows).

They're attached, but not in a way that can handle an accelerating and out of control chain. Nothing reasonable could stop those fails. The massive brakes failed, caught fire, and the anchor went into kinetic runaway. Which is what everyone in either of those videos should have done. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nenonen posted:

edit to add: sheesh, I was wondering why the OP would include #FoxNews in his tweet but then I looked at his Twitter account, the guy's a living MAGA chud stereotype... :stare:

Yeah, utter insanity.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hey, it's the low lead mixture.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

Truck vs train
Rule #1 of truckfuckling: NEVER BRAKE! NEVER SURRENDER! never survive

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elendil004 posted:

Southcoast somewhere?

Holy poo poo, you're alive!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

They’re ineffective with electric chainsaws, which cannot stall out.

They don't stall the saw in all cases (like the one posted). They jam the clutch.
They're definitely not as effective on electric saws, which make more torque the slower they spin, but they're not completely ineffective. I haven't seen an official report, but there sure is a lot of "chaps won't stop an electric saw" scuttlebutt.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h8tGcdL.mp4

Chainsaw protective pants. Imgur comments say this has been around a while, the Kevlar peels off and jams the saw.

That's a small (maybe 61cc) saw at not-full RPM. Husqvarna branded pants I think, and made more for mobility and comfort than high-end protection. I think they're Class 1's, based on the 20m/s sticker. Primarily aimed at climbers and lighter saws.

I wear Labonville full-wraps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt0Fl1cosw

That's a serious saw, at full RPM. No cut-through. They're hot, heavy, and not for climbing at ALL. However, they'll save my leg if I gently caress up with my 262XP.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 20, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Could you recommend something reasonably priced and effective for use with a small gas saw, for someone that uses a chainsaw a handful of times a year? I'm guessing probably not full-wrap, but also not not full-wrap if that's very important.

Class 1 pants, either Husqy or Stihl. Every arborist here wears them. Plenty thick enough to stop a top handle or homeowner saw, comfy, flexible, and like $100. Expensive, yes, but that's two pairs of Carhartt pants, and what's your femoral artery worth? You'll likely have them for a decade, especially if you aren't running a saw a lot.

My chaps are overkill for most things, but I run non-homeowner chain and a reasonably big saw. I used to cut a lot more wood, but those days are behind me. Mostly I run my Echo CS-440 these days. The 262XP only comes out for big oaks or after storms

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 21, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Erisian Automata posted:

That is boss as poo poo. How much are you into really femme transwomen?

Lemme check with my wife.

My favorite motorcycle safety stories revolve around seeing riders stop at the NH, CT, or RI border sign to take their helmets off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Nah, I'd say he's only one layer. A very thin thin thin layer...

A thin, pink misty layer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MikeCrotch posted:

In his own words, "You try doing this bloody job sober!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00zEt1-3VA&t=779s
Start at 13:00 if the link doesn't work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

I mean... it could have gone a lot worse.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MisterOblivious posted:

Posting him is almost cheating in this thread.

But, seriously though. He does listen to the comments sometimes and improve. In that video alone you see him going from trying to do something he shouldn't, because he stopped to read the manual, to complaining that commenters get on his rear end for lift rigging, to swapping out that rigging for something better.

He was wearing at least some eye protection a bunch in that vid. I wasn't putting effort into tracking times ot anything, but getting a non-glasses wearer to put on eye protection is hard as gently caress so it's nice to see he's wearing it at least sometimes. If you wear glasses normally you've always got at least inadequate protection on, or prescription safety glasses you just wear all day, so it's easier on us. Prescription safety glasses are way, way more comfortable than the non-adjustable garbage btw. You can get adjustable non-prescription glasses and they're soooo much more comfortable but entirely too hard to find. They should be the default for anybody but site visitors.

I think the best example of him listening to the comment section was when his dog, Levi, jumped off and missed the dock. He seemingly nearly drowned under the dock. It was a really bad scene. We tore him apart in the comment section. The next watercraft video Levi was outfitted with a life vest/lift harness so he could be lifted on and off the boat, and float if something hosed up.

I watched his DOT stop video... so many mistakes, he's skating by on luck.
1. Took the lug nuts off before loosening the wedges
2. Grabbed the wedges with no regard for the pressure behind them
3. Took a grinder to the bead when he couldn't get it over the lip of the rim
4. "Fixed" a rotten exhaust with a sleeve clamp
5. Thought that an 8-year old fire extinguisher that had never been inspected and had a plastic valve was fine, complained about having to buy a new one
6. Filling a newly-mounted tire on a multi-piece wheel without a cage, and standing next to it

The list goes on and on. The guy's super-motivated and clearly smart and talented, but he needs to learn a little more about operating/repairing the equipment he's using.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 7, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Gifs that end too soon.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

quote:

Gross Taxable Weight Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Rates
Below 55,000 lbs No tax
55,000-75,000 lbs $100 plus $22 per 1,000 pounds over 55,000 lbs
For over 75,000-pound vehicles, the maximum HVUT is $550 per year.
Yup, that covers it. :lol:

NZ is by 1,000km traveled, and is MUCH more money.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/ruc-rates-and-transaction-fees/#RUC-rates-for-distance-licences-powered

A "standard" US Semi truck/trailer would be:
One Type 6 (Powered vehicles with three axles), more than 18 tonnes: $412/1000km
One Type 29 (Unpowered vehicles with two twin-tyred, or single large-tyred close axles), more than 10 tonnes: $132/1000km

Or more likely, it would fall into the Type H category, which is even more if it's overweight.

The US has very-much provided incentives to the trucking companies. I'm sure some of it is due to high labor participation and strong union presence.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Deformed Church posted:

How many people actually know (or care) about the economics of road damage though?

Trucks are subject to the same NIMBYism that affects just about every other part of our infrastructure. Vanishingly few people are against the idea and the benefits of road based goods transport, but a huge segment of the population are dead against the downsides, some very reasonably concerned about potential safety issues but also a whole lot of "I don't want these big vehicles driving past MY house" and "bloody truckers slowing down MY journey". I do think it's useful to remind people of the importance of logistics, though truckers do tend to get a bit overly evangelical about the whole thing (not that the rail/air/marine transport industries are often asked to justify their existence to the public).

I'm not against trucking at all. I just laugh when people say the HVUT covers the added damage. You just need to drive on I-78 around Allentown to know the damage the trucks cause.

Is it justified that the taxpayer is subsidizing the roads? I think so.

Living in America means you have access to the most sophisticated and fast logistics system in the world. I mean, where else could I order some oddball item from my phone for next-day delivery? If I lived in a major city, there's a good chance that it would be same-day if it was a common item. Americans are freaking out now that this system is starting to slow down, but man... we've had an amazingly good run for years. Sure, it's bad for the environment and Amazon is abusive to labor and their suppliers, but those are the costs for the benefit they provide. Is it worth it for you to support that system? That's on the individual to decide, and for the government to legislate.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

nopenopenopenopenope

Open cockpit, 70+mph, no HANS devices visible. I wonder if either survived without major cervical vertebrae fractures.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Shut up Meg posted:

My understanding is that one guy steers and the other guy controls the throttles.

Though it could be that one guy does both and the second guy is there to throw $100 bills over the side in case it isn't costing enough money.

Yup, one driver, one throttleman. It's an insane sport, even with low-hp stuff people get killed regularly. The hydrofoil drags and true offshore powerboat racing is crazy dangerous.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They had cannons that fired automobiles? That's radical, I imagine that deluging a crowd with some high velocity 1941 Morris Minors would put a damper on their enthusiasm to fight.

Almost as bad as driving one...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

See a fork in the road, take it

I guess motorcycles aren't a thing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

The nose droops so the captain can see when landing.

The front didn't completely fall off either, I'd call that a win.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Versailles, CT.

Pronounced ver-sail-s. Rebel flags and lifted mud trucks, it's a weird place.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

d3lness posted:

In Providence, RI there is a Thames Street. Everybody pronounces it Thayms. I'll just leave here Worcester, MA and let the OSHA content be the bare knuckle brawl that is bound to break out.

Oh boy. New England is full of poo poo like that.
Warwick, RI: pronounced War-ick
Leominster, MA: pronounced Le-mon-ster
Billerica, MA: pronounced Bill-rick-a
Wareham, MA: pronounced Ware-um by many
Worcester, MA: pronounced incorrectly by all
Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg: pronounced Webster Lake because gently caress that

\/\/
I learned how to say it when I had to survey the lake. I still can too!

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 26, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kith posted:

A very close call from imgur's front page.

Don't loving wear gloves around power tools, kids.

Thin Nitriles are fine. Those look pretty thick, and the rubber-dipped cloth ones are a TERRIBLE idea. I don't use them when woodworking, but I sure do when milling or using the lathe on metal. It keeps the cutting oil and razor sharp chips from slicing me up. I'll take my chances, I guess.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

A White Guy posted:

This is amazing. Its probably putting a shitload of more stress than an engine is supposed to take when you're driving a boat, but gawddamn, this guy probably has enough money to finance the stupidity.

I've seen this done on purpose.
Owner had a nice lake house, but no access to the shoreline of the property, like a wall of trees, the house, and a vertical drop of 6+' level of "no access". Owner wanted to trailer the boat out of the water for the winter without paying for a helocopter. Owner contracts local marine company to bring a trailer over, but of course, they've got to fit the trailer to the boat. Take boat to marina, fit trailer, then what? ... ^^^ That was how they got the trailer to the property. If it were me, I'd have gotten a deck barge or a landing craft to bring it over, but... if it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

What.

So she winched the trailer out of the water and just had it hanging out on her beach?

Not a woman. And they used a winch in their very nice boat house to haul it out. Probably could have used a custom-built rolling sled or something, but a trailer was quicker and cheaper. :shrug:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Antigravitas posted:

Here are AG's amazing rules for not getting hit by huge ships:

Avoid the big ship. They are much faster than you think, but they won't stop or change course much. They do not see you, and even if they do, they won't do poo poo but honk at you.

Also, consult your maps for nautical channels and only cross them when they are clear. Look both ways before crossing.

You learn that in school over here :colbert:

We call it the rule of gross tonnage.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

"The entire security system relies on that plug, we can't pull it out to fix the socket"

LOL. There's still a way to fix this. Open the case that the cord plus into, tap into the AC input lines, and attach another cord temporarily. Energize the other cord (on the same phase), unplug that one, swap on the cover plate, plug it back in, de-energize the other cord, detach it and close the case. I don't like working on energized equipment, but I've done it.

Or, you know, if the security system was that critical, it should be on redundant power and a UPS/generator supply, so unplugging the cable wouldn't interrupt anything.

Clown answer: crack the cover plate and pop it over the cord.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So is the ship a loss then? What kind of vessel was it?

LHD. They'll fix it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're likely not going to be able to fix it.

I'm sure Huntington Ingalls will be happy to fix it. They may build a completely new ship at 5x the cost, but it'll be fixed! Maybe swap it for a nice new LHA?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This would require them to be storing fireworks and ABANDONED 7 YEARS AGO AN in the same warehouse, which, yeah I could believe that

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

Disclaimer: I’ve never driven an excavator and I’m just armchair quarterbacking here.

Neither has the operator in that old clip, apparently.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Poldarn posted:

If the average driver is ignoring every traffic law, they'll ignore the construction signs too and you'll never get anything built.

Welcome to the third world. Crossing the street in India is an exercise in trust, fear, and just keep moving.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nocheez posted:

I know it's probably just selection bias, but I swear the worst drivers on the roads are in Nissan Rogues or Altimas (sedan version).

Add Jeeps and modified F150s to that list, and I'll agree.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dirk the Average posted:

Each individual stud doesn't need to be that strong though, as they will not be standing up to the impact of a moving car on their own.

Those had to.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MisterOblivious posted:

I loving HATE wearing cotton but it's mandatory when you work with stuff with sparks like welding or grinding. It doesn't catch on fire or melt to your skin (while sometimes on fire), it just smolders.

Wool!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s ok, the treadmill should hopefully carry his body to safety the grinding mill.

More accurate.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

No stock headlight in the world would have lit up that thing. Headlights are designed to go far in front of you and also aim down so as to not blind oncoming traffic. If you look carefully, you'll see that the headlights do go past the tractor, but the equipment is up in the air with nothing touching the ground. It's not something any headlight is ever expected to illuminate.

Cue every brodozer claiming this is why they run 50" LED lightbars on their roofs, and illuminate the road with the light of a thousand burning suns. (It's totally not for spotlighting deer and being an rear end in a top hat on the highway, no sir)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

AFewBricksShy posted:

As far as the industry goes, no. You'll have the quartz, granite, stone, and porcelain countertops all generically referred to as "stone countertops" because they are generally all made in roughly the same way. (cut using a c&c, waterjet, or rail saw, and then finishing the edges) Concrete is a completely different manufacturing process all together.

Is that what the music factory folks are doing these days?

It's CNC: computer numeric control

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

AFewBricksShy posted:

No, I said what I meant.
C&C.

Here's footage from my shop. You may notice some OSHA violations, please be aware we are working on getting better PPE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaTGrV58wec

That's a Pro-Click!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

This guy purchased a ghost town and the mines underneath it.

He’s going to die down there one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlDg41-zizU&t=865s

In this video, he does a number of dangerous things, but the one I’ve timestamped is when the low oxygen alarm goes off on the gas meter and his friend is like “that alarm won’t stop me because I read Wikipedia and I won’t pass out till the concentration drops another couple percent”.

The ostensible reason for this trip is to find an alternate route into the main tunnel network without taking the nineteenth century cable lift. That lift is not ideal, but in no way is it worse than what he goes through here.

If he knew what he was doing with rope, and he really wanted to dispense with that lift, he could rope directly down the shaft like this team did, but of course he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Their whole story is OSHA-worthy.