Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

slinkimalinki posted:

Fun stuff: for some reason it was considered ok for tour operators to decide for themselves whether it was safe to go to the privately owned active volcano. Now two employees and 11 customers are dead, 27 of the survivors are in critical condition with severe burns, people who assisted with the rescue describe helping victims who had burns to their tongues and eyeballs, all burns units in NZ are full, a criminal investigation has been launched, a Worksafe NZ investigation has been launched...

Even more fun thing: the company running the tours won an award for Safest Place to Work (small business category) NZ last year https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/118090485/white-island-tours-crowned-with-health-and-safety-award-12-months-ago . Based on, I guess, their focus on people wearing closed toed shoes while touring the crater of a constantly erupting active volcano.

To add to this I heard today that GNS (The agency responsible for monitoring volcanoes and earthquakes etc here) had pulled their staff from the island due to the increased activity. You would think that when the volcanologists are moving away from the active volcano you would think twice before taking a tour group to the crater. The injuries are sounding quite horrific as well with many with severe burns inside their throats/lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, I guess the good news is the guy who owns the yacht can probably afford to pay for the repairs.

Even better news he can afford lawyers who ensure he won’t need to pay or take responsibility for anything else.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

There is (though it's bottled):

Do they come with a rag and a lighter?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Fun fact we replaced ozone killing CFCs with HFCs as a propellant in cans. HFCs don’t hurt the ozone layer but are a very strong greenhouse gas.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Mushika posted:

Jeebus, I don't even know where to begin with this.

Pretty sure you pull the breaker. Actually probably every breaker in the house because who knows how many other fun surprises like that are around.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just go back and take Trump to Action Park.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

goin by this thread and the chemistry thread its probably easier and cheaper to just use some sort of chemicalz and let the cancer rates do its thing.

If you wanted to be truly diabolical you set up a facility that continuously pumps out all kinds of nasty chemicals to the surrounding area. Say you will employ people to get a few local politicians on side. Now you are a job creator and what you are doing is perfectly legal. You might even score some tasty subsidies out of it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

At work the rule is no stickers or attachments on the hard hats unless they are certified to not degrade or otherwise negatively effect the hat. Of course you can’t get a consistent answer on this for anything so it is effectively no stickers. Naturally a few of our Gus work on sites which require stickers to show they are allowed on site and certified for various tasks etc. They have to keep a couple of hard hats because of this.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

null_pointer posted:

Seriously. What could even cause that to happen?

I heard that most car fires are from the hydraulic fluid leaking. Most have a lower flashpoint than fuel. Also tend to be run around areas they are more likely to be damaged. So car hit the standing water too fast. The shock of the impact knocked a hydraulic line, possibly either brakes or power steering. Then the fluid hit a hot surface and a ignited.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Potrzebie posted:

I grew up as The Child on international long hauls to various (back then) obscure places. The stewards going "Hey kids, want to go say hi to the Captain"? was awesome but is also forever gone. It was probably for the best after that Russian kid crashed and killed everyone on board though.

When we flew international last year our kids got invited in to the cockpit to meet the pilots. We had to wait until after landing and pretty much everyone had got off then the kids were allowed in and were shown the controls etc but not touch them. They were then given some pictures to colour in and sent on our way.

Phanatic posted:

In either case we should be educating people that the TSA is a collective of idiots who wouldn't be able to work the fryer at Burger King without giving themselves third-degree genital burns. and that the entire agency should be dropped into a very dee pit.
Maybe think of the TSA as a make work program for idiots who can’t work a fast food fryer.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

In my experience, the people who constantly get "stomach flu" or "food poisoning" are conveniently always getting it at the exact same time, usually the day after a weekend or holiday.

Often the time you have a bit of different food or try the cafe in funny looking shack by the sea is on holiday or weekend. So it will be first day back it will hit you.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

As others pointed out to you the chinese govt let it run rampant for a good long while before clamping down hard.
The UK govt seems intent on running a strategy of herd immunity through controlled contamination, which is basically fueling the fire with the bodies of the vulnerable and unlucky. It''s going to blow in their loving faces.

So basically the WW 1 strategy then. They won that in the end so tally-ho lets go show old Gerry what’s what old chap.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is the same bullshit doublespeak when a company brings in a consultant who assured everyone he isn’t looking to make layoffs. Instead he will be looking for efficiencies and will right-size the company in order to meet the evolving conditions in the market. Then half the workers are laid off. Expenses for the next quarter are down and he collects a big bonus before moving on to the next victims, I mean new exciting opportunities.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Memento posted:

Yeah the government here hosed that royally in the mid-90s. "The Melbourne rail network is going to need a billion dollars worth of maintenance and upgrades sometime in the next 10 years.... so, we'll sell it for a billion dollars and make it someone else's problem!"

Then the mid-late 00s roll around, we get a couple of decent heatwaves and the whole loving thing falls apart.

Over here in NZ we privatise the entity. Then the thing is asset stripped to the point it is no longer functional. Then the government buys it back and bails it out. They get it operating well again and sell it off to repeat the cycle. Has happened with the rail, AirNZ and a few others.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

What part of the trailer is submerged that wouldn't be submerged anyway when launching the boat?

From spending a lot of time around yacht clubs in the 90s I was always told you don’t submerge the trailer. At most you back it in to cover the rubber at the bottom of the tyre. Never get the axle and wheel bearings covered in water.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That head snap though. Really needs a HANS device.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Cheeseman posted:

I think the only dipshit in that situation is the guy driving a truck carrying a tall load where he shouldn't have and causing millions of dollars of damage to an overpass that will now likely take months to repair, and not the reporter who is rightfully calling him out on that, highlighting that the driver, indeed hosed up.

But I mean, that's just my read of reporter grilling the guy.

The reporter knows he hosed up, he knows he hosed up, we know he hosed up. All the reporter is doing is rub the fact he hosed up in his face. Whether or not the driver should have this continuously rubbed in his face is left as an excercise for the reader.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

This is only reinforcing my idea that gardening is the ideal hobby.

Did no one tell you about the legionnaires disease lurking in the bags of potting mix?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Memento posted:

So they don't contain PFAS? Or they do and in Trump's America we don't care anymore?

Yeah the whole time watching that clip I was thinking that looks carcinogenic.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

My first thought would be to spray water on it and try to turn it into slurry.

The real solution is you call in the cheapest third party contractor you can and ensure everyone manager level or above is working off site at an important management retreat for the week while it is cleaned up.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

His claim of getting zapped from 6 inches away was interpreted as extremely high voltage.

Dude was trying to gently caress the table wasn’t he?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/FMfQE8W.mp4

Is this a legit thing to do or is it fuckery?

I have seen it done a few times, I think several have been in this thread but also seen it in person. But never one trying to get up on a truck bed that high.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

azurite posted:

I've seen too many videos of buckets falling off in this thread to feel comfortable with that.

I have also seen a video of someone dropping a bucketful of water on a car completely crushing the roof. I believe it was earlier in this thread it was posted.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

My workplace did a 1000000 hours free from LTI challenge and we hit it and management gave us an afternoon off with a bar tab at a nearby pub. There was a little bit creative accounting around it. E.g one guy injured his shoulder on a Friday afternoon but be sure it wasn't a full day off it wasn't lost time since he was back on Monday. Another guy sprained his ankle after jumping down the stairs on the way out at the end of a day but because it was outside of work hours it wasn't a work injury.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't get people who won't wear their safety footwear. Closed, steel-toed, puncture-proof and slip-resistant sole. Yeah, your feet will feel like minced meat the first week, but after that you get used to it. I don't wear anything but that sort of footwear, even in my spare time.

If your safety footwear isn't comfortable to wear, you're wearing the wrong safety footwear.

This. The safety footwear my work provides are some of the most comfortable shoes I have. Paired with the right socks and insoles they are great.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A friend of mine in high school found out about the power of a car battery the hard way. He was messing about with an old one and bridged the terminals with an old piece of copper wire. He was hoping to make some sparks kind of like a primitive arc welder thing. Anyway apparently there was a flash/bang and his hand got burned. He could not find the piece of copper anywhere and the area smelt funny. Kind of a mix of burnt flesh and copper vapour.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Nocheez posted:

97 to 100 years in use and probably never inspected. Good grief...

It was probably inspected. But the inspection was probably just someone cruising past in a truck every few years to see if it was still standing.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

agrielaios posted:

If only there were some king of high tech, allowing travel across distances and seeing things, what if we can invent little flying things, and attach camera to them.. and call them drones or something dunno :thunk:

I work for a small lines company and we are actually looking at bringing in drones for inspection and surveys for new lines. There is a bunch of red tape to work through to get it happening. Especially for the inspections as that will require a close approach permit and since this is a new kind of inspection etc there is no current procedure for granting it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

No it is more one division of the company can’t do it because another division in the same company hasn’t defined the rules on doing it yet. Although one thing they did set on is requiring the drone pilot be recognised by the CAA and to do that they need to log a number of hours using a drone in a professional setting. Of course they can’t exactly get those hours until they have a framework for flying the inspections on the lines. They are doing some work on it on a trial basis until they actually define the proper rules.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Bunk bed-ladder woman makes me ask a question I often have with some of these videos.

Why are you recording that?

I like to think in cases like this her husband tried to tell her that is a bad way to attempt it but she wouldn’t listen. Told him to either help or get out of the way. So he sets up the camera hoping the YouTube views will pay for the medical care.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It’s a shame this one isn’t happening directly over Pittsburg.

(Not because I hate Pittsburg, but because that was the hypocentre of the IRAS–GGSE‐4 encounter in January.)

I was reading your comment and thought oh yeah it would suck to be under that when it comes down to earth. Then had a closer look at the map and realised I live under the big red area on it. So that is cool I guess.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Still not gonna do you much good.

Voltage induced in a coil is Faraday's law: V= -N*(dΦ/dt), Φ is the magnetic flux through the coil which is the area of the coil times the field strength. 60 Hz power, the magnetic field strength is going to go from maximum to minimum or vice versa 4 times per cycle, so dt = 4.2 milliseconds. Typical magnetic field strength 50' away from a 230-kilovolt line is a few microtesla, let's say 5. So let's say you make a rectangular coil 5 meters on a side, 25^2 total area, to get 120vrms (170 volts peak) at your coil on the ground with the lines 50' up you need (170)(4.2ms)/(25m^2)/5uT = 5712 turns in your coil.

Now let's say you steal the wire, stuff you're gonna steal is going to be pretty thick, 14 gaugeish. One turn is 20 meters, you've got 5712 of them, you need about 100,000 meters of wire, so that's a lot, about .2 cubic meters of copper, or 1800 kilograms of the stuff. Copper's about $3/lb right now, so that's about $12,000 worth of copper if you took that to a scrapper. But you turned it into a coil. The coil itself has substantial resistance, whatever load you hook up to it is going to add to that, and you're only at 120 volts. V^2/R isn't going to give you a lot of power beyond what's dissipated in the coil. Inductance of that coil's gonna be big. 1000 Henrys. So the reactance of that coil's gonna be enormous: 2*pi*60*1000, about 380 kVAR, your power factor is going to be..., let's see, power triangle is sin(theta) is reactance/resistance, so that comes out to approximately a power factor of gently caress/all. Electricity needs to be *really* expensive to make this worth your while. I mean, okay, you could squeeze some smaller amount of wire and run it through a die to stretch it out, but there's all sorts of other things you'd rather be doing, like stealing batteries and vampiring them into the wires.

Now if you don't need 120V, and just want enough to power a cellphone charger or an LED lamp? Okay, then it gets a lot more reasonable, but farmers (or anyone else) aren't going to be powering their houses doing this.

Or, just do what others do when stealing power and jury rig a conductor to bypass the meter coming in to your house. Unauthorised, illegal electrical work like this is certainly very OSHA.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Everest thread was "get rich and die climbing" for a while. Don't know if it still is.

Not anymore. Apparently laughing at rich people killing themselves on a mountain is considered to be in poor taste.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Splode posted:

Is he trying to blow up an ant colony or something?

Possibly wasps. Around here a common way of eliminating underground wasp nests is to pour some petrol down the hole. Most people usually use too much and add a step of setting it on fire. You are apparently only meant to use a small amount and let the fumes do the work.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

That's actually a good point, never fight a fire you are scared of. You're allowed to be scared of any fire you want, no one should judge.

If you are comfortable fighting fires, always remember:
Never fight a fire without clear egress
Never fight fire you can't approach because of heat or smoke
Understand the rating of the size of your extinguishers and the size of fire they are expected to put out. Never fight a fire you can't put out because this is valuable time your egress might be disappearing or that you could spend getting someone who has enough tools to definitely put it out.
There's no good reason you can't just leave and get a pro.
Pull Aim Squeeze Sweep. Aim at the heat source, not the flames. If you can't aim at the heat source because you're not sure where its at or you can't get close enough for heat or smoke nows a good time to remind yourself of the points above and gtfo

At work we have to do mandatory fire extinguisher training every couple of years. The bulk of the course is drumming in to your head to get away and call the fire brigade. Only attempt to fight the fire if you need to to either get out or assist someone else getting out.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Fumble posted:

I watched a few raced of the first season when they needed 2 cars per race because of poo poo battery's and they had a public opinion poll on which driver should get an hp boost during the race. a grid full of racing failures and really old and fat ex racers. are the cars fast yet?

gently caress forgot the formula EJ dropping beats appropriate to the race action.

The best part of the HP boost was that the drivers learned after about two races that if they used it they then had to nurse their batteries home or else they would run out of range before the end of the race.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is only a little bit of snow. It is light and fluffy what could it possibly do?
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/stadium-roof-collapses-in-invercargill/3CDCZWNMBUZ524RXRABA3VHTK4/
Oh.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ika posted:

So its a 1D city, and everyone uses the same highway to get anywhere? Or mass transit? If that thing gets built it will have worse traffic jams than LA and more crowded subways than london.

No it will be magically solved by *hand wave* AI.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Inflatable boats don't have permanent mounting for the outboard so you can take it off and deflate the boat. Whomever installed it last did not ensure it was tight enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGveyECsJCw&t=22s

Don’t you usually have a safety chain as well? so even if the mount fails like that it still doesn’t sink down to the deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It says right there in the image that it does. Also you need to get them medical care after using it. Apparently it is cleared from the body faster than the opioids. There have been cases where people have been given it. Felt they were OK and walked off only to collapse about half an hour or so later.