Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I never have anything good to share in this thread because I'm in a job adjacent to computer touching but always love OSHA related stuff.

The ElectraBoom Guy is fascinating and hilarious in equal measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

safety wasn't much of a priority in the film industry for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbNnYpxbGTk

In this clip Buster Keaton broke his neck while swinging down and opening the spout of a large water tank over his head. They hadn't tested the stunt before and the force of the water was much stronger than expected, smashing Keaton into the ground. Keaton was kind of like Jackie Chan in that he insisted on doing all of his own stunts, and also like Jackie Chan, would severely injure himself repeatedly in the process.

Keaton and Jackie Chan would definitely be on the Mount Rushmore of Filmmaking OSHA. Plus, Tom Cruise and ummm...Steve-O?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kith posted:

It's a great indication of why TSA is totally useless. They'll confiscate your water bottle, but not the battery to your laptop that could easily pop a hole in the side of the airplane.

Don't forget about your shoes!!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Look at this pleb who doesn't have pre-check. Are you still taking your laptop out, taking your shoes off, and putting your belt away? :smugdog:

Oh, I've had Precheck for 5+ years now since I fly several times a month - the variable is which airport and if/when they decide to open a pre-check line or they just give you a Home Depot paint mixing stick or laminated construction paper to denote you have it but you still have to go through all the security kabuki. Even then sometimes they'll say one thing is fine, but you have to take off your shoes or whatever is the item of the week, it's maddening.

Not that it'll go back to pre-9/11 standards when you could greet people at the gate etc but I've wondered if there will ever be a relaxing of all the security measures since everyone realizes it's a huge facade. Then I realize there are way too many vested interests and an entire federal bureaucracy now dedicated to maintaining this so it'll never go away :smith:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
As much as I dislike the TSA, their Instagram is pretty OSHA and interesting.
https://instagram.com/tsa

You think TSA agents are dumb, that somehow doesn't compare to the stupidity of American passengers and what they attempt to bring onboard a commercial airplane.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B7bm-Qnnv55/?igshid=1gbnxxgwfofoa

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

It's a shame there's no audio for this, real or fake.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

Gifs that end too soon.

calm_russiandashcam.mp4

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

mostlygray posted:

Some people don't realize it when they've used the excuse so many times that everyone knows they're lying. Just like coke heads who claim they have "allergies" and that's why they're sniffing all the time.

I had a girlfriend once who after several months finally worked up the courage to confront me about my secret coke habit.

She was surprised when I told her I got frequent nosebleeds since I'd had my nose broken twice and had a deviated septum plus allergies.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Bacon Taco posted:

coxsackie virus

Sorry but I :lol:’d at this

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I've been to the SWIFT HQ multiple times. It is about as bleak as you could imagine. Plus, they still use green screens for scheduling, among other things.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Speaking of planes, Steve Matchett of F1 commentating fame has a book called The Chariot Makers that is probably super in the wheelhouse of most OSHA thread posters. It’s about F1 engineering, but it’s wrapped in a story about a bunch of dudes about to fly on a Concorde because their original flight got delayed, so they end up shooting the poo poo and talking about both race cars and supersonic flight.

Cool, thanks for this. I miss hearing Matchett and Hobbs on F1 coverage :smith:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Wasn’t there something about how those storm-chasers are far more likely to die via automobile accidents rather than the tornadoes themselves?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

I came here to post this and I feel it was glossed over. Apparently he didn't want to ride in the jet but his colleagues got him the ride and he felt it would be rude to reject.

Reading that article all the way through, its comedy of errors is incredible.

Also, how has the GoPro footage mentioned in the article not been released yet?!?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Saw this in an article about Lebanon's grid going down, naturally made me think of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

lol :golfclap: