Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

As bad as that was, it could've gone a lot worse. Also those guys rappelling off the wall probably need some new pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That has to be fake. Note that it's a screenshot, not an actual tweet. No such tweet shows up in UPS's twitter. I mean I guess they could've made that tweet and then removed it, but that's way too tone-deaf for me to believe it's real.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

From back in April, but I don't remember reading about this here. An Indian construction worker did a Phineas Gage with a piece of rebar. :nms: pics

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Tony Snark posted:

All so what area is the remainder usually? Is it really the crotch/asscrack like that one Carlin bit?

Even the taint can be burned if you're not careful.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The picture needs more backstory. The humor changes depending on if:

1. Some bystander found the sign and put it in the fountain to make a silly picture.
2. Building management put it there purposely, because someone realized there's no "don't walk in the fountain you dumbass" sign, and technically the bottom of the fountain is a both a "floor" and wet so they put the sign there as a real CYA.
3. Buidling management put it there purposely, because people were actually accidentally falling in.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

schmug posted:

4. That's not a fountain

Are you sure? I'm phoneposting so maybe I'm missing seeing something in the picture, but it sure looks like one of those indoor pools with fountains that were so popular in office buildings, malls, etc. circa 1975-1995.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

So we're back to "who put the sign there, and why?", which changes how funny the picture is depending on the answer.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, but at that point why not just have a ladder?

Design/style.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've always wanted to be able to look lengthwise down the runway from my passenger window.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6LsVFhP.mp4
I feel like this is one of those meme gifs with the words.

Missing: the end of the video where the cops cite the train engineer for not yielding to their lights & sirens.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it isn’t that safety stays in place so dropping it or getting the side of the trigger snagged on gear or something won’t fire it.
The Glock trigger safety is purely a drop safety.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

The two first curves with no guardrail in place look like someone didnt stay on the road.

Maybe, but I'm guessing that it was probably debris pushed by the water that removed the guardrail.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, sorry, this is my headcannon now.

Seems like it would strain your neck. Pretty OSHA though I guess.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

The other thing with hard hats is they should be replaced every...5 years I think it was? The plastic eventually goes brittle.
Yeah same thing with motorcycle helmets.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Probably a vape pen.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

sticksy posted:

Sorry but I :lol:’d at this
It's named after Coxsackie, NY, where a specimen of the virus was first found. But as we now know, naming viruses after places is racist, so you're literally being racist for laughing at this.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Trump went on TV and said "I don't know about that, we have people in the administration who, I don't know, I haven't heard of that, I just work here" in response to a question about the pandemic team being shut down in 2018. He's not going to let the government take responsibility for anything.
The pandemic team wasn't shut down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Who is "they"? The Brotherhood of Escalator Builders*? Because I can't think of anyone else who would bother to have an opinion on elevator constructors, let alone hate them.

* I have no idea if this exists or not.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's an RC car.
was it the big hand at the end that helped you figure it out

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Probably worse than that, since that's not a WWII carrier. They didn't have angled decks until after the war.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

The rolling coal people are grade A morons, but I would think even they wouldn't deliberately eject that poo poo onto the windshield like that.

No, exhausts coming out the hood is a thing.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

"I was still a bit bored, playing with the magnets. It’s the same logic as clipping pegs to your ears – I clipped them to my earlobes and then clipped them to my nostril and things went downhill pretty quickly when I clipped the magnets to my other nostril.”

No, the subject of the article is not a kindergartener, he's a 27-year old astrophysicist.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Rolling coal is an rear end in a top hat move.
Also whoever came up with the term "rolling coal" is pretty bad.

:hurr: truck make smoke like a choo-choo train :hurr:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

weird there's no blood on the knives...weird

It's two separate photos. The photo on the right was probably taken before the accident.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Police are especially at risk for having their guns taken and used against them, since they often deal with people intending them harm. Also they more often open carry, whereas private citizens who carry, more often carry concealed. Yet when a law is proposed or passed which would require smart guns, the police always manage to get a carve-out exempting them from smart-gun requirements, which should tell you something about how well those smart guns work.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It’s true that biometric locks don’t work well, but “the police don’t like them” isn’t exactly a strong argument.

Why not? If the smart guns actually worked as advertised and they didn't have a failure rate higher than non-smart guns, then there would be little or no downside. But if one of the primary users and beneficiaries of smart guns don't like them, then you have to take that as a clue that maybe the downsides are still bigger than the upsides.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

that's because they wouldn't be able to plant drop guns and we'd start seeing a lot fewer "clean" shoots
What? Let's assume that all police were carrying smart guns. Non-smart guns would still be a thing; they wouldn't magically disappear all of a sudden. So how would the fact that the officer's primary gun is a smart gun prevent an officer from keeping a second drop gun to plant on someone?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

but if cops had to have biometric guns, they wouldn't be allowed to regular old guns, making it a lot harder to carry a drop gun. Sure it wouldn't eliminate it, but it would probably drastically reduce it
By definition a "drop gun" is a gun that doesn't have any link to the officer, and therefore is outside regulations. "Regular old guns" wouldn't just magically disappear from the population at large, even if they were made illegal. During the course of their work, cops tend to recover guns, some/most of which would be "regular old guns", giving crooked cops a source of "regular old guns" to use as drop guns. Biometric guns wouldn't fix the drop gun problem.

MRC48B posted:

The idea is it would be part of a system with an always-running-while-on-duty body cam, GPS, and other metrics. It would make it harder (not impossible) for officers to falsify shooting incidents. Several have been caught already planting drop guns and drugs even with the basic bodycams in use today.

That said, current biometric auth methods are a joke and are no where near ready for something as critical as life-safety of a firearm.
I'm not really disagreeing you, except to ask what more do you want that current body cams don't provide, which would require a biometric gun to implement?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Um excuse me but the road markings clearly indicate that it is not a passing zone.

Technically the markings say not to cross the centerline, and the biker didn't. :eng101:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I think letting predatory animals roam loose around the heavy machinery probably isn't a good idea either.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That looks like one of those Alaska bush planes that can take off in like 10 feet.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Alkydere posted:

The one and ONLY forklift accident that wasn't the operator's fault.
Well she should have paid better attention, but it was probably difficult to see those thin forks at the angle she was at. What's the best practice for setting the height of the forks when not in use? I would assume it's relatively low, not face-height, but I don't really know. I imagine her day would've been a lot less terrible for her if her moped had crashed into the forks set at 6" off the ground instead of the forks crashing into her face at 4' off the ground.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 7, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Don't bees make electricity?
Duh, of course. Why do you think they buzz so much?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXVqTi3QrEg

I like the part where the plane pulls up after the ejection.

That doesn't really look like Florida to me.

e: It's from a 2019 F16 crash in California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9kb7_2GoWA

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 15, 2020

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

mystes posted:

This deserves jail time.
Nah I think those kids learned a good enough lesson about not walking on the tracks, without needing any additional punishment.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You have to wonder if whatever chemical they're spraying there just happened to be purple, or if there was some dye added (to look unusual/hazardous and encourage people to stay away?).

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Apollo 13’s big created-in-situ fix, the CO2 scrubber adapters, was a pre-written emergency procedure. Someone dumping a box full of random poo poo onto a table in front of a bunch of rattled engineers in response to climbing carbon dioxide levels never happened.
So if NASA knew there was a possibility that the astronauts would need to create adapters to allow using rectangular scrubbers with round holes, why wouldn't NASA just require that the command module and the lunar module use scrubbers with the same dimensions? I realize that the command module and lunar module were built by different contractors, but is it that difficult to come up with a common scrubber design and mandate that both modules use it?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's been a few years since I played GTA5 but IIRC if you hit that ramp right you can get over the fence and jump into the military base.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Get this, how about take a huge drum, stick people inside it and then spin it real fast? It'll be fun and totally not dangerous at all. https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/rotor-ride-pictures-1950-1970/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Slotducks posted:

Everyone loves to think that self driving cars is going to be this amazing traffic alleviation - but capitalism is going to demand that it will be tiered.
The biggest thing that's going to alleviate traffic is broader acceptance & implementation of telecommuting. Yeah there's large numbers of jobs where this won't work, but there are also lots of jobs where it will.