Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Memento posted:

This is a lithium polymer battery though. Li-ion batteries will react with air but not nearly as violently.

That's not reacting with air, the knife is shorting it out internally and it's entering thermal runaway, damaging more cells and dumping it's whole charge in a few seconds, making a shitton of heat and oxygen. Most things are combustible with enough heat and oxygen, so it bursts into fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Spinz posted:

So 1 mpg?

160 miles road range for 160 gallons, so yeah 1 mpg, or about 0.45 offroad at a whole 75 miles range.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Victory City ?

http://www.landscapeandurbanism.com/2008/12/07/another-utopia-victory-city/

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Pvt. Parts posted:

I'm no Military Expert but aren't those foremost shovels supposed to already be buried so the whole thing doesn't kick back like that? Totally fucks your aim

It's supposed to bury itself in on the first shot but you have to set it up properly.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I cannot loving believe I'm agreeing with Caro, but all French tech divers I've ever interacted with are genuinely insane.

I'm French, my Dad dived for Comex in the late 70's, can confirm. He didn't last long, but the lifers are all insane people.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Using a game controller is fine. Using a knockoff wireless one from 2005 that's notoriously unreliable really isn't.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

GD_American posted:

we kind of have had two decades of "carbon fiber = better than" propaganda, haven't we?

The idea of a pressure vessel made out of what is still in essence a fiber weave is insane. RIP you dumb rich schmuck

You can make pressure vessels just fine out of carbon fiber, high performance tanks often are CF now. But that only works if the inside of the cylinder is the high pressure bit, carbon fiber doesn't do poo poo in compression so using it for a sub is stupid as hell.

I'm pretty sure they used it because making one-off steel pressure vessels is expensive, making a one-off carbon fiber anything is really cheap.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sentient Data posted:

What about a using the same lathe and form setup with a heavy duty cnc arm that has a big free spinning ball bearing on its tip?

The point of spinning is that you can do it with some random lathe that's so worn it's useless for anything else, if you're going to buy actual equipment for it you may as well stamp it out it's faster.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Jabor posted:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to see how it could destroy an actual camera with a big fat lens. (Contrary to what Phanatic seems to think, a big lens is going to focus more light and thus heat onto the sensor, that's literally the point of a big lens). But that post is about your dinky cellphone camera with it's 5mm lens, which is also designed to not destroy itself if you have it out in the sun with an uncovered lens even when not using it as a camera.

Phanatic is right in that just a larger zoom factor doesn't influence point heating on the sensor, since the image of the sun will spread out over more of the sensor aera. But physically larger lens diameter will gather more light overall and that will be able to heat the sensor more, and large zoom lenses tend to have large lens diameters.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It's not even 'just' getting blasted with a laser, the laser is removing the surface layer of the pan. You're getting a surface that hasn't seen the light of day since it got fed into a furnace to be cast at the factory.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
If you are building ON the ice it's easy enough to have an insulation layer between your foundation and the habitable quarters, so that you're never transferring significant amounts of heat into the ice. You want to do that anyway or you're going to need tremendous amounts of energy to stay at habitable temperatures. It's not much different than building in low temperatures on earth, probably on some short pylons to minimize surface contact.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Given that Calisto doesn't really have an atmosphere to speak of you'd basically end up building a space station on stilts.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

redshirt posted:

What if you wanted to build into the ice, deeply, to use as protection against radiation and thermal gain?

Then you basically end with a submarine built like a Thermos flask to minimize heat loss to the environment.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Yes but what is the purpose of making it underground, digging out large quantities of ice is not trivial when you have to carry every bit of equipment to a foreign planet. Rad shielding would be way easier to do by simply digging a lot less ice and putting it up the walls of your construction on the surface, be it inside the insulation layer as double duty water/electrolysis feedstock or just bulk ice on the outside

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The larger the building the more you save on digging by going that way by virtue of the square/cube law.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The basic water needs of a human is something like the volume of a small car per YEAR, completely open loop, and that includes oxygen. You're not drinking your living space unless you take a decade to excavate it.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like rather than digging you should just use a nuclear powered melter machine. Like a TBM but with radiators on the front instead of drills. Suck up the water and pump it through an insulated pipe up to the surface and dispense it as snow.

I was curious so I did some math, by the power figures given for LA-class nuke sub it would take about 2 weeks for it to melt it's own displacement worth of -150c ice using the full thermal power of it's reactor. Of course that doesn't count thermal conduction to the ice you're not currently trying to melt, so it would be quite a bit slower still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Karia posted:

That is a serious loving nuclear reactor, jesus. Looks like an S6G weighs about 150 tons for the entire package, for 156 MW thermal. That's a thousand times more thermal output than any reactor put into space. I guess if you were going to put that into space you'd just position it far away from everyone and drop a lot of the shielding? And really, really hope you don't crash.

The sub has the advantage of being surrounded by a free, convenient heatsink after all, shedding the waste heat in space would be quite an endeavor.