Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Varkk posted:

I heard that most car fires are from the hydraulic fluid leaking. Most have a lower flashpoint than fuel. Also tend to be run around areas they are more likely to be damaged. So car hit the standing water too fast. The shock of the impact knocked a hydraulic line, possibly either brakes or power steering. Then the fluid hit a hot surface and a ignited.

hydraulic leaks are also typically aerosolized because of the pressure involved, making it all the easier to ignite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

haunted bong posted:

idk that looks awesome as hell

Agreed.

DandyLion posted:

TSA confiscated a pack of toothpicks I had in my carry on bag. Its beyond parody at this point.

TSA is security theater and a chance for people to get felt up by strangers on a routine basis. I personally had never experienced my genitals being patted down until they started using the backscatter machines.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nocheez posted:

I've twice been popped for a random check that meant having some rear end in a top hat drag his knuckles across my dick. They say they're checking pockets but it's still the most humiliating bullshit I have been through.

If it was following the backscatter, it wasn't random. Prior to 2016, the backscatter scanners produced a near perfect image of your naked body that some agent would look at. Because people obviously were pissed when that became public knowledge, TSA switched to their current system. Now the scanner has expected scans of men and women's bodies. Instead of a person looking at you naked, now there is just a small screen that shows a bathroom door figure with a box around the anomaly. It anticipates nothing in your pockets, but if your dick is hanging down instead of being tucked up, for example, it marks it as an object in your pocket. Unless you can pull something out of your pocket, they must pat you down. I've went to supervisors and was told I either consent to the patdown or I don't fly. I know there are trans goons that have ran into the same problem. I agree that it is humiliating every time. The most recent time the agent doing the patdown spit out the minute long preamble about it in seconds because he has to do this poo poo so often.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Any landing you can walk away from, right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If following proper safety precautions costs you $100k/yr on top of a loss of $100k/yr, you should not be in business.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Could tell what was going to happen before it did with how common this situation seems to be. We could probably do an hour long montage of people not setting the parking brake on a flipped vehicle before flipping it back over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Propaganda Hour posted:

Forgive my dumb question, but what would a parking brake look like in an APC?

On a lot of of them it is a lever that looks just like any other parking brake. This is true for tracked personnel carriers as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mSSvIE6.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/r2DK6DE.gifv

Gonna need to learn how to build stuff like this when the apocalypse hits this summer.

not too complicated. all of the motor and such is at the back. he just has control cables running to the front.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KoRMaK posted:

it's low voltage but still, not to best practicies

This is one of my favorite pictures.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Humphreys posted:

drat I miss being on them sometimes. Im an rear end in a top hat that grew up on commercial vessels so anything a little bit rough I shrug off. That GIF is a rollercoaster for me. Experienced a few times with glee. It' aint worth the ticket if the hull doesnt flex! If the conditions and coworkers weren't completely garbage I'd live on those ships.

Gotta love it when you get waves that smack the pilothouse ~150ft up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Memento posted:

I just fell down a loving rabbithole of 1970s prog rock

It ruled, fyi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_Jh3NpdGU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Scratch Monkey posted:

What the hell did he pour on him?!?!

His buddy was doing some heavy day drinking on a the sly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Explosionface posted:

To crush your enemy, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

I'm sorry, it's women, of course, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was probably an AN/SQS-53C. I don't know much about them, personally, but you can google it and unclassed it says 240db. Those things are loud as fuuuuuuuuck on active.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Another example is Miami, TX. If you say it anything like Miami, FL, people know you’re not from around there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tyson Tomko posted:

Same here in Illinois with Cairo and El Dorado.

There's a Cairo in Southern Georgia pronounced kay-row. (Miami, TX is my-amma)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I would say become an electrician or plumber over a lawyer 100% of the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zedprime posted:

If anyone doesn't know what to do after highschool do this. The downsides were mentioned but you can also play your cards right to have a retirement nest egg or demote yourself to a clerk to avoid the backbreaking stuff later.

There will never be a shortage of need for people who know how to actually wire up a house/building or install plumbing. There is already an overabundance of lawyers in the country, and it gets worse every year. I make less an hour as a practicing attorney than some landscapers I know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah, that looks like pkp which is the last thing you want for an electrical fire.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it is absolutely a boomer move to decide it's too much work to unshackle the boat by yourself so instead you spite drive the drat boat around holster and all

I like the think the dude had some reason to transport the boat and trailer but no truck like he sold it or something and that was the easiest way to get the boat and trailer across the bay. He can get an uber home from the destination, but there isn't an uber he can get to tow the thing however far down the road.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pickled Tink posted:

On the subject of truckfuckling from the previous page, our beloved bridge has struck again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrOcCXNq5c

Dude did not loving care. That truck doesn't slow down in the slightest with a red light in front of it or after it scrapes a bridge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Memento posted:

"flamethrower" doing a hell of a lot of work in this sentence

Yeah that's a roofing torch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Collateral Damage posted:

Self driving cars are perfectly possible. There are technical challenges, but nothing insurmountable.

:hmmno:

Self driving cars are decades away if they even are possible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

finding out who currently owns the g-haus involves rifling through public registry records that probably aren't obviously accessible

so yeah, it's still kinda doxxing

I'm not supporting doxxing or anything of the sort, however, property records are universally public records and are searchable online. Googling county name state name property appraiser will generally get you to the right website.

The only way to hide property ownership in the united states generally is to have some sort of corporate entity hold the property instead. Most apartment complexes and other such large developments do this so ownership can change without deeding the land and recording the value of the sale.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Property records have been public going back probably more than a thousand years if we're tracing through british common law. Obviously in America they only go back ~500 years at most, but they're available for public review. For older stuff you may literally have to read through property book recordings that are old as gently caress, but the records are there back to whenever the land was originally deeded when it was stolen from the natives. Some systems have full electronic records and you can see back to the first colonization of your area for each plot of land.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s up with these links? There’s been a few of them recently and I can’t open them. Just prompts me to download a file and lol gently caress that.

they're webms. You must be browsing from an iphone or safari on mac. they cannot natively play webms. That one in particular is from 9gag. Imgur and others serve mp4s for iphones so you've never noticed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Only 1 car made it clean through there. I think there were 3 others that went partially off the road and the one that went completely off but was able to return and keep going.

I enjoyed the drivers hanging out to watch other drivers crash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pail Ale posted:

I badly wanted him to bean himself with the tyre.

What tire? There’s only a wheel there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Craptacular posted:

I think that's just the rolling shutter effect from the camera.

nah right when it crashes it stops for a second then starts to pick up speed again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is a major us navy vessel burning down osha? because, yeah, that's happening in san diego.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So is the ship a loss then? What kind of vessel was it?

LHD - Wasp class amphibious ship. In any other navy in the world it would be an aircraft carrier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sharkytm posted:

LHD. They'll fix it.

They're likely not going to be able to fix it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Real Amethyst posted:

Some guy on a shipping forum said it might have been bank effect that caused this.

There are some channels that are narrow enough for wide ships they have to basically drive straight at each other and turn at the last moment because of bank effect and other forces at play. I'll see if I could find a video with an example.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First time, dude gets out to see if he can open while dude in car is like "yeah gently caress it I can DO THIS" and guns it. he does successfully get through, but now other dude is loving stuck on the other side, and poo poo he's the whole reason we're here. Now he has to go get the other dude, but he gets lifted off the ground and doesn't make it through. If at first you don't succeed, try again with more gas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah, this ship is hosed:

AlternateNu posted:

Some more pictures are coming out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BRBLFfO.mp4

Tugboat operator hauls rear end to prevent crash.

That's good poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Moo the cow posted:

For a long time, I used to imagine that a car falling on you would be like this:

Then I read a few reports and actually it is a slow process where you can't move your ribcage and so take a breath. Which seems more terrifying to me.

Diaphragm chokes are a real thing in grappling competitions, also. For example, Dean Lister vs Josh Barnett. At the end of the match, Barnett gets Lister into basically a judo scarf hold. He then puts all his weight on Lister's chest and the compression between the two makes it so once Lister exhaled, he could not inhale again. It's a very different kind of choke than most people are used to, and Barnett made the big guy tap as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2TC9-oEk4&t=1237s

e: and Barnett explaining the choke step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0VxxSNu-g

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lots of people have cracked windshields like that in texas because its dry so there's lots of rocks and there's wild temperature variations that cause chips to turn into cracks with a quickness. I don't believe an uncracked windshield is part of the texas inspection, but then again I haven't had to do a texas vehicle inspection in over a decade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Americans have some ... odd priorities with car maintenance.

Tyres smoother than Patrick Stewart's head? Yeh, i should start thinking about replacing them.

Windscreen with massive cracks in the drivers vision? When I start feeling wind through them then I will replace it.

3,000 miles since the last oil change? OMG THE ENGINE WILL EXPLODE.

I can understand (via stupidity) doing no maintenance but how uptight the average American is about one thing but then laissez faire about everything else is strange.

The 3000 mile oil change is an anachronism that dates back to garbage us cars built in the 70s and 80s. Everything built in the last 10-20 years or so has a service interval of 5-10k that I've seen.

Also, the windshield thing depends on the state. In Florida, every auto policy must fix windshield chips and cracks free of deductible. So you don't see cracked windows often unless the car is a $500 beater that barely runs anyways. its different elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Aramoro posted:

Still sounds like the US needs to do a bit of work, my Golf and Cactus both have a service intervals of 20,000 miles

They keep them as low as 10k to allow dealerships to make money off of service because they make more off of that than on actual new car sales.