Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard of rope ladders.

That’s a nope ladder.

It's a Jacobs Ladder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nenonen posted:

How the hell do you put out a fire on a nuclear submarine?? Can you fill it with CO2? Anyway I love that USS Miami's motto was "First to fire. Twice to fire." The civilian contractor set two fires...

edit: what a stupid question, I already own an accurate simulation of this

There are 2 ways. The first and recommended way is quickly. The other way is the whole sub burns and the problem is solved.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I didn't do an in-depth search but the article I read mentioned the spillgates were 90 years old and a renovation/replacement was being looked at prior to the collapse but funding was questionable. Basically it failed because the neoliberal economics that have been rampant in this country since the 1970s has let our infrastructure crumble.

Ya man, those libs don't give a dam.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Resting Lich Face posted:

Neoliberals are all about free-market capitalism which is definitely the kind of poo poo that causes infrastructure degradation.

Learn your poo poo.

Nope. Don't give a dam.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Kaisers here in the bay area do not have masks and gowns. The protest that happened, did in fact happen.

I do not know if the 'fired on the spot' thing is true tho.

https://abc7news.com/6044429/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The Russians used a smelly guy hanging off the back of the truck.

We used to do that too. Hell they would use 2 or 3 guys.

But this lets them employ less workers.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The Real Amethyst posted:

Submarines are terrifying. You'd have to be crazy to volunteer to actually serve on one in the military.
One of the more terrifying aspects of Submarines is their active sonar pings can literally rip a human to shreds if it's emitted close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In3tXzTbxAc&t=120s

http://www.oceanmammalinst.com/mgpaper.html#documented

:catstare:

LFA was experimental poo poo. Regular active sonar is at a much higher freq, like the ping in that video.

I was on a swim call once off Hawaii and a destroyer was a few miles away and saw us on the surface. They started banging away with active sonar. That poo poo loving hurt.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If it continues on it's trajectory, you'll be quickly subjected to a high radiation zone. There's not a lot of shielding between you and the reactor, the design relies mostly on the water around it to be devoid of anything sensitive to radiation.

that is not actually true. please keep your nonsense conspiracy crap out of zoomie talk tia

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

molestrios posted:

It sounded like something a coner would post tbh

even coners know better than that nonsense he posted

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You guys sure know a lot about getting your pipes cleared.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SamsCola posted:

Speaking of airport fire foam, an airport fire truck was called to downtown Chicago to put out an underground electrical fire. I imagine both the foam and whatever was burning down there added some nasty stuff into the air...

The foam is pretty.

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah, that looks like pkp which is the last thing you want for an electrical fire.

gently caress pkp forever and always

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Xakura posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress

I hate these goddamn morons who have never done anything other than computers and ipads in their lives. This would be a terrible user interface even in 1g and no vibrations.

Uhhh. That leg screen is only for AFTER launch I hope.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What in the hell was that?

Big rear end puddle of some sort of flammable liquid on the road that is coming from the yard of the building that goes up, and that cars exhaust set it off.

ORRR it was just a driveby building incineration

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

No way would this ever end badly.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

koshmar posted:

Yeah, it looks hugh in that GIF until you see it on the 747

OHSA cause that's the Challenger

All of the shuttles were an OSHA nightmare. They should have never been used.

Like Mike Mullane said, the only reason they didn't have more accidents was luck because even when they saw a problem if it hadn't broke (like the o-ring) they said well I guess it's ok!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
At least a few tons, that thing looks to be the size of a car.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

Presenting classic rocks:

This must not be in the US, there is no ticket on the rock for blocking access to a handicap bathroom.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

drgitlin posted:

If you were born in the 70s then you’ve also got a lead-poisoned brain, sorry.

My mom smoked while pregnant too. The doctor said it was fine!

:haw:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dirk the Average posted:

And it is absolutely worth remembering that radiation doesn't contaminate or linger in food or anything. I know most people here are aware of that, but I've had otherwise well educated engineers lose all common sense when radiation comes into the picture.

ZOOMIES BAD!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The ocean gives exactly zero fucks about your dumb stupid human rear end.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
eat poo poo bob

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

No plywood base? Talk about cheap skates no wonder the garbage slab broke.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Memento posted:

It's not a loving clown car mate

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

You're telling me nobody made any money off of those dead dudes?

Shameful.

The doctors made money.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Scratch Monkey posted:

Speaking of, I heard about the Ycuá Bolaños supermarket fire recently on an episode of Behind the Bastards and it was super not fun!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ycu%C3%A1_Bola%C3%B1os_supermarket_fire

More fun

https://i.imgur.com/YywlHo1.mp4

That is some dangerous poo poo. Paint sprayers will penetrate skin.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Splode posted:

It's annoying, I'd love to get a scooter or very small bike and just put put around town, but it's impossible to tell if the horrifying motorcycle statistics are entirely from lunatics or if there really is an incredibly high chance of getting pasted by inept car drivers.

yes. on all counts.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FCKGW posted:

Lane splitting is "technically" legal in California insofar that's it's not explicitly illegal. There's nothing on the books saying you can't lane split in CA but there's also nothing on the books that govern what constitutes "safe speeds" or when it's legal to split.

That being said, lane splitting is so common in CA that most riders I've seen do it safely and a large chunk of drivers will scooch over in the lane to make more room and get the little rider wave :3:

And then there are the people that get pissed off about bike riders and will open their door on the highway to make them crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsxRhbuwfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxaLRnLFwA

ded fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 29, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Z the IVth posted:

Apart from the whole "attempted murder/manslaughter" thing, wouldn't getting a biker to collide with your door you know, damage your door?

So best case for dick driver is a dinged door and a pissed off biker. Worst case is a dead biker and a spell in prison, and a dinged door.

It's dumb as poo poo to do. But people do it all the drat time. Those 2 vids I posted were a 5 second search.

People hate motorcycle drivers especially when they are in traffic and the bikes zip past.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's good that a show with fire has no close at hand ways to put out the fire if someone fucks up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kanine posted:

wasnt there that guy a bit back that murdered a woman inside a homemade submarine

yes. and he escaped from prison for a few minutes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

thats not actual cheese tho

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

too bad, the truck almost did it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TotalLossBrain posted:

the floating turd transcripts are gold.

"it ain't one of mine!"

the phantom space shitter

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

do you have a source on this?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GotLag posted:

Why the gently caress didn't they have a second qualified driver on board?

look into your heart. you know the answer already.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

that is dangerous as hell. those sprayers will inject the paint under your skin

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Powershift posted:

https://i.imgur.com/StdlS9i.mp4

Looking at the tires on the truck and the fact that he's loaded to the lid, he's got to be 10,000kgs overweight.

it fell off a truck :smug:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

you unscrew the drat plates you don't tape them :wtc:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Like everyone in the Thresher. :smith:

Thresher took over a day to sink past crush depth. :smith:

There was a declass of all the official documentation of it.

Flyinglemur posted:

Or the Scorpion. Maybe.

Scorpion died fast as hell because a torpedo had a hot run and blew up inside the boat.

Source4Leko posted:

So what's your take on the opinion that some part of the sub remained intact until it hit the seabed? I read something a while back and seemed unlikely to me but I'm just an interested layperson when it comes to submarines.

Scorpion was found by the same boat that found the titanic iirc. That was the real mission for that search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Phanatic posted:

Sonar data indicates an implosion at April 10 0918. USS Seawolf heard some things that some people think indicated that there were still people alive on the Thresher as late as April 11 2030, but it did not take over a day to sink and wind up on the seafloor. And even those sounds are very disputed:

I don't believe that's the case. Formerly classified data from the court of inquiry has been being released in batches, but I don't believe all of the data from all sources has been released.

Navy Releases Eighth Round of USS Thresher Inquiry Documents
April 29, 2021 10:40 AM
The Navy released the eighth set of documents from a previously classified investigation into the April 10, 1963 loss of USS Thresher and its crew of 129 sailors off the coast of New England.

A freedom of information lawsuit from retired Navy Capt. James Bryant, a former Thresher-class submarine commander, compelled the Navy to release the documents on a rolling basis.

The following is the sixth of 12 volumes of proceedings of the court of inquiry ordered by the commander of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. The other documents can be found here.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20986255/tresher9_10_reduced.pdf

https://news.usni.org/2021/07/09/navy-releases-latest-round-of-uss-thresher-inquiry-documents

This stuff came out a few months ago. It has actual logs and is a pretty crazy read.