Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Blistex posted:

I've caught raccoons out in the open and put the boots to them, and I'm sorry to say that it was neither an easy or a relatively quick death for them. Even with a pair of steel-toed work boots, you're going to have a hell of a time killing them. The two times that I did kill them without a weapon it required probably a minute or so each, with me eventually having to jump on their head to make sure they died. Their bodies are very resilient, and they have enough fat on them to cushion a lot of blows that would kill a similarly sized animal.
:gibs:

:circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Blistex posted:

We used to trap them in live traps on the farm, and would sometimes catch as many as 5 per evening (sometimes two to a trap). The trick was to get a clean hit on the top of the head with the first blow of a baseball bat, or else you're going to just injure them instead of knocking them out or outright killing them (I've probably killed ~200 this way). Raccoons have a surprisingly tough skull, and if you don't have a weapon of some sort, you're going to have to somehow crush it to kill them. I've caught raccoons out in the open and put the boots to them, and I'm sorry to say that it was neither an easy or a relatively quick death for them. Even with a pair of steel-toed work boots, you're going to have a hell of a time killing them. The two times that I did kill them without a weapon it required probably a minute or so each, with me eventually having to jump on their head to make sure they died. Their bodies are very resilient, and they have enough fat on them to cushion a lot of blows that would kill a similarly sized animal. Back when we used to grow feed-corn we could shoot somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 per night. They are the absolute most wasteful animal on the planet next to humans. They'll knock down a cornstalk, take a single bite from a cob, knock down another, take another bite, knock down another, etc. A raccoon can knock down a area of corn the size of a typical above ground swimming pool in a single night, and a full family can clear enough room for a game of half-court.

Lining them up and fighting them sequentially? It would be all about your stamina and footwear. If you're wearing runners, then you're probably going to break a toe on the first or second one and be done. If you have steel-toed boots, then it just going to be a manner of how long before you can no longer kick effectively. If I had to put a number down, I'd say about 15 raccoons, maybe 20 (max) as 15-20 minutes is probably the longest I could keep up that kind of exertion.

Also you should stay away from any place that has a lot of racoon feces. Their poop can carry parasite eggs that can kill you if inhaled.

also despite my labeling you a psycho thanks for letting us know what it takes!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Colonel Cancer posted:

JFC you are a loving psycho.

Yeah, it was not something I enjoyed, but more a protection of livelihood issue. Back then we had an issue with them contaminating water in barns (making GBS threads in it) and resulting in young cattle actually dying from it. We looked into different methods of controlling the population (which was insanely massive due to the feed corn in the fields at the time), but nothing worked until we moved away from corn and replaced it with wrapped hay, which raccoons don't seem to like. After that the population settled down and we were no longer inundated with them.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Colonel Cancer posted:

JFC you are a loving psycho.
Nah raccoons are the real psychos. I used to volunteer at the zoo. One time a couple raccoons managed to break into the aviary and they murdered several flightless birds. Didn't eat them, just left them there dead. It was sick.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Nah raccoons are the real psychos. I used to volunteer at the zoo. One time a couple raccoons managed to break into the aviary and they murdered several flightless birds. Didn't eat them, just left them there dead. It was sick.

They did the same with a litter of barn kittens I stumbled upon. It was pretty ghastly. They're cute animals, but everything about them is dangerous/viscous/destructive or infectious.

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic
Zero. My dog scared one up onto the top of my fence last week. It seemed to be a little apprehensive about getting back down, and perched up there for a good 10 minutes. I closed all the windows and pulled out my pistol just in case it attacked.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I would just be friends with the raccoons

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I would just be friends with the raccoons

Lol they'll just eat your face you jackass

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

These are all of my raccoons.

I don’t fight them, they fight for me. Then I take the champion as my house coon.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm assume that for this fight I would be nude, the raccoons would be nude too?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

These are all of my raccoons.

I don’t fight them, they fight for me. Then I take the champion as my house coon.

Foul breeder of vermin. May they eat you while you sleep.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm assume that for this fight I would be nude, the raccoons would be nude too?

Sure

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BigBadSteve posted:

Foul breeder of vermin. May they eat you while you sleep.

Alas, he has made an offering of the rotisserie chicken. They will not eat him. They will warm him with their bodies during his slumber, and protect him to the last member of the gaze. He has become one with the nursery, the Coonfather.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

need help dealing with 30-50 feral raccoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Savage For The Winjun posted:

need help dealing with 30-50 feral raccoons

catch one with a net, nail it to a cross as an example and place a crown of barbed wire on its head, hang a sign around its neck saying that raccoons do not have jesus and no god is coming to save them

that'll show em