Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The_Franz posted:

there was also some issue with threadripper where it was apparently really easy to wreck the socket if you weren't extremely careful when installing it. that seems to be a tradition with amd though. remember people wrecking motherboards and crushing cores while installing the heatsinks on old athlons?

no, because i wasn't a ham fisted goober and i could follow simple written instructions, but i know plenty of people did.

turns out an exposed die isn't a great idea

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

no, because i wasn't a ham fisted goober and i could follow simple written instructions, but i know plenty of people did.

turns out an exposed die isn't a great idea

:same:

being able to unlock those early durons with a pencil and see quad digit cpu speeds on a budget chip was pretty sweet though

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i wrecked a motherboard just recently, it was an intel socket though. good times. for some reason i was given a full refund even after admitting full fault in being extremely bad at touching computers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

it's pretty clear that ~*gamerz*~ are their primary market because they couldn't even be bothered to try and boot a remotely modern linux distro on them to see that it didn't work because their rdrand implementation was hosed up

this doesn't happen on epyc or threadripper

it's only the consumer stuff that has been trouble

The_Franz posted:

there was also some issue with threadripper where it was apparently really easy to wreck the socket if you weren't extremely careful when installing it. that seems to be a tradition with amd though. remember people wrecking motherboards and crushing cores while installing the heatsinks on old athlons?

yeah it is extremely fragile and complicated, which is why it comes with a torque wrench and extremely specific instructions

it reminds me of sun sockets in the 1990s

poo poo was crazy fragile so they literally shipped a special-purpose torque wrench with every upgrade kit

it took me about ten minutes to figure out the amd threadripper installation instructions. it all went perfectly ok. the hardest part was getting it out of the packaging. i'm not kidding

the packaging was more challenging than the torque wrench or instructions

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

they should go back to those huge cartridge set ups they had for the p2 and athlon xp imo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

they should go back to those huge cartridge set ups they had for the p2 and athlon xp imo

i very much doubt this is physically possible in 2019

so much fuckin power routed through board traces

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

my stepdads beer posted:

didnt slot a die before the XP

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

yeah there's no reason to buy intel in 2019.

I have a 9700k because I effectively got it for 300 CAD but without that there's absolutely no way I would and don't suggest it to anyone.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

g5 was the most epic slot/socket

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

g5 was the most epic slot/socket

And here I thought Pentium IIIs were the goofiest

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
slot A ruled. it’ll never come back because it interferes with cooling and just takes up too much space. and also it would need a 2000 pin slot so it would be huge.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

The Management posted:

slot A ruled. it’ll never come back because it interferes with cooling and just takes up too much space. and also it would need a 2000 pin slot so it would be huge.

the new modular nuc concept looks quite similar imo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this doesn't happen on epyc or threadripper

it's only the consumer stuff that has been trouble

p. sure modern threadripper needs a boot flag to turn off mce or it won't boot in many cases

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
didn't slot 1/A only really make sense anyway because most of the cache was still off-die?

also those mini-ITX boards are like, what, just 2.5x the size of the slot cartridge?

whatever, when i buy a CPU any more it's basically permanently mounted to the motherboard i buy for it. it's been about five years since i bought my current desktop CPU, and it was about five years before that when i bought the previous one.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

p. sure modern threadripper needs a boot flag to turn off mce or it won't boot in many cases

this was with the newest zen 2 threadrippers: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Boot-Threadripper-Zen2MCE

you're right, it doesn't seem like they bother to test anything

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Epyc chips are Epic lol!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tankakern posted:

this was with the newest zen 2 threadrippers: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Boot-Threadripper-Zen2MCE

you're right, it doesn't seem like they bother to test anything

The biggest problem with AMDs comeback is that intels margins are so fat they can just cut pricing for important customers to match AMD and not lose any hyperscaler sales.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Epyc chips are Epic lol!

but not EPIC lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

The biggest problem with AMDs comeback is that intels margins are so fat they can just cut pricing for important customers to match AMD and not lose any hyperscaler sales.

last time this happened intel had a considerable process leadership advantage and AMD was a fabrication mess that couldn’t get good yields. this time AMD is fabbing with TSMC and has the process advantage and reasonable yields. and it doesn’t have to cover the full cost of the process research because that’s shared by the rest of tsmc’s customers. each intel chip needs to amortize the full cost of their 10nm disaster.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

but not EPIC lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we’ve fallen so far from 420nm process :cry:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

didn't slot 1/A only really make sense anyway because most of the cache was still off-die?

also those mini-ITX boards are like, what, just 2.5x the size of the slot cartridge?

whatever, when i buy a CPU any more it's basically permanently mounted to the motherboard i buy for it. it's been about five years since i bought my current desktop CPU, and it was about five years before that when i bought the previous one.

yes, it was a weird 2 year kludge to fix a specific problem: L2 Cache

Way _way_ too expensive and not really tenable to have it on die in 1997, but it's too slow on the board (and lovely cheap boards without any crippled the processor and people blamed Intel instead of their 30 dollar chinese special motherboard). The solution was to have half-speed cache on the multi chip module. Tech caught up fast though, and by mid-1999 256k of on-die cache was plausible so intel adopted that and AMD followed shortly after. It was half the size, but ran at full speed. Apple continued to do this, the G4 has off-die cache but a shitload of it (up to 1mb for some of them)

I love it because it was a garbage fire that made cooling hard, made everything more expensive, and it only came to be because competition was extremely active.
I also love it because Slot 1 Pentium 3 600mhz + are literally just an on-die cache chip on a module in a plastic shell, they don't need to be at all but slot 1 had momentum and 370 was only starting to be used.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
intel also had Slot 2 for the Xeon processors, i've got a couple of new-in-box P2 xeons squirreled away somewhere in my mom's house. those suckers were big

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I had a quad-xeon from 1999 once. My plan was to replace the fans to make it a quiet (but stupidly large) workstation with a nice video card. Didn't work.

The xeons weighed like a pound without the heatsink, and _with_ them holy poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jesus christ i remember in high school around 2001 we had some donated quad-xeon system for the computer lab. we called it "cessna" because it sounded like a drat plane on takeoff. that thing was bonkers gigantic, thinking back i'm wondering if it was 6-8U tall

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i had a dual 2-core woodcrest xeon setup. those things came with a six lb. copper block for a heatsink. you had to use a special backplate to mount them so they wouldn't hang off the motherboard, because it'd break

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The original mac pro was similar, but ran pretty cool and quiet because of it.

E: also lol that within 2 years the Core 2 quad put the processing power of that dual processor system on a single processor + faster.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 25, 2019

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

fond memories of the screaming fans on my slot-a athlon. they were a weird-rear end size, too, 50mm i think. i remember replacing them at some point, probably with some poo poo pair from a sketchy computer show or directron.com :allears:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus christ i remember in high school around 2001 we had some donated quad-xeon system for the computer lab. we called it "cessna" because it sounded like a drat plane on takeoff. that thing was bonkers gigantic, thinking back i'm wondering if it was 6-8U tall

i used to have hp k-class machines at $WORK

they were literally the size of a refrigerator, sounded like a jet engine, but they topped out at 6 CPUs

edit: picture

thing was literally 6 feet tall, to hold 6 hot, nasty pa-risc chips

not my picture of course, this looks like it came out of a school or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress does that even do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
serious question.. modern iphones are faster from commercial grade servers from what era?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

the iphone 7 and above has a GPU faster than a PS3 so yes absolutely.

It's plausible that there's some edge-cases or multitasking things those systems could still win at, but overall your phone is undoubtably wildly faster.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
ryzen is a superior product but also gently caress buying intel they're on the bds list

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i used to have hp k-class machines at $WORK

they were literally the size of a refrigerator, sounded like a jet engine, but they topped out at 6 CPUs

edit: picture

thing was literally 6 feet tall, to hold 6 hot, nasty pa-risc chips

not my picture of course, this looks like it came out of a school or something

wow dang that's beefy

i guess my current job used to have a bigass IBM RS/6000 installation in the old days, took up two 42U cabinets by itself. it was long gone by the time i got here though.

echinopsis posted:

what the gently caress does that even do

guessing the bottom chunk of the stack is battery backups.

middle chunk might be storage? and/or I/O cards for like networking and such.

probably a hell of a lot of power regulation going on in there too.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
beginning of this year i junked some stupid dell server from like 2008 and replaced it with an athlon 200ge. its twice as fast and uses a third the power and is silent at full load

computers are good again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i looked up the hp k-class online and a few hops later found out that there was a product named "HP Superdome"

why is it called the superdome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it needed to sell in louisiana

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

HorseLord posted:

beginning of this year i junked some stupid dell server from like 2008 and replaced it with an athlon 200ge. its twice as fast and uses a third the power and is silent at full load

computers are good again

why are you replacing server gear with consumer grade garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably because it sits in a closet to run plex or something