Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. epyc is a full SoC; the 'chipset' as we know it is on the package itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

turonga leela case

:mods:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so can you find zen3 chips and 3[7,8]00 gpus yet or what?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. epyc is a full SoC; the 'chipset' as we know it is on the package itself

aren't all the Zen processors full SoCs? the chipset is just a PCIe expander for the ones with fewer lanes. that's what the A300 "chipset" was, right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't know enough about CPU poo poo to say if you're right or wrong tbh

epyc and threadripper are def different sockets though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
threadripper doesn't have the soc implementation and still needs a southbridge on the board for anything that isn't pci-e

the cpu cores themselves are the same between ryzen, threadripper, and epyc, afaik

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

epyc is mostly just even more cores afaik

probably has poo poo for high bandwidth interconnect between sockets too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

not so much

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

not so much

that’s naples. all the pcie/if on rome runs thru the io die instead

but yeah 2s epyc interconnect is just 64 slightly fancier pcie lanes that are available as pcie on 1s mobos

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

threadripper is as soc as epyc is

any boring or slow poo poo is fine out there in pcie bridge land

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bloody posted:

epyc is mostly just even more cores afaik

I haven't looked closely at it since zen1 but with those ones each chiplet had 2 memory channels directly attached with 4 chiplets total for 8, threadripper was the same layout except two of the chiplets had their memory channels completely disabled

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah i mostly mean the different socket part is, in part, to bring out even more channels of bus or w/e. idk about whats under the ihs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
anandtech does a rundown on the xbox series x soc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Finally got my 5900x, let me tell you... I'm jyzen4ryzen

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its good op

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
going hog wild with vms atm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont forget to set your ram speed right, if you just jammed poo poo in a case and hit the power switch it's running turtle speed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i keep checking to see if 5900x is available in my area

it isn't

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
microcenter has decent stock on 3900x's for $399 here and boy howdy if i didnt already have a chip i'd be seriously considering that. it's not like you couldn't sell it for 350 to somebody even a couple months less lucky than you eventually

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

infernal machines posted:

i keep checking to see if 5900x is available in my area

it isn't

i had two preorders in, one from day of release and one from like november 8th. day of preorder cancelled me (and is now charging $150CAD more) and the other one came in a couple days ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

microcenter has decent stock on 3900x's for $399 here and boy howdy if i didnt already have a chip i'd be seriously considering that. it's not like you couldn't sell it for 350 to somebody even a couple months less lucky than you eventually

i have one of those and it's perfectly needs suiting, i just keep checking on the 5900x because i'd like to have the rtx direct-io support as well, even though i'll need a video card i also can't buy to use it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

dont forget to set your ram speed right, if you just jammed poo poo in a case and hit the power switch it's running turtle speed

how can I check this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
download cpuz and it'll tell you all sorts of stats about your poo poo including what your current ram speed is. if you havent fiddled with it, good chance its at like 2133 mhz. most stuff can go faster. unforch due to the sheer amount of ram I have i gotta run my 3200 at 3000 for max stability, but I don't really give a poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yep. already got that but never thought to check, just assumed the bios would recognise what it was and set it correctly

had to run my old ali express ram down a step probably due to it being shut

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also reminds me i should check to see if there are any bios updates because some people who know bigger words than i do on reddit where discussing perf gains from undervolting, cos it could run at boost for longer or idk but the posited that it’d probably get fixed in a bios update 🤷‍♂️ since it seemed less like a performance hack and more like suboptimal from factory settings

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you’re rams are too slow!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Forums Medic posted:

Finally got my 5900x, let me tell you... I'm jyzen4ryzen
your image of threads being ripped isn't loading

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately ryzens only cut threads with an army of scissors

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
amd please stop, my threads can only take so much

https://twitter.com/ExecuFix/status/1365981401808580614 posted:

96-cores (192 threads)
12-channel DDR5-5200
128 PCIe 5.0 lanes (160 for 2P)
320W TDP (cTDP 400W)
SP5 (LGA-6096) socket

Genoa everyone

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

an actual frog posted:

amd please stop, my threads can only take so much
You kinda have to wonder how long Intel can just hang on through their pre-existing contracts in the face of their more lucrative products just objectively being inferior in every single way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
given the way corporatism works - a very long time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah ibm held on (still holds on) for a long time.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i use an ibm os in tyool 2021 and it works pretty good actually. just waiting on the rhel to os/3 rebranding.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
basically AMD doesn’t have the production volume even for their current demand. the big machine makers can’t replace intel because amd just can’t make anywhere near the number of chips they need.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s sickening that Intel is being rewarded for still being on 14nm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nobody ever got fired for buying IBM, except in 2021 where you would get laughed out of a job

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

sapphire rapids will turn it around lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
international butt munchers is the millennial corporation I want to be CTO of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s sickening that Intel is being rewarded for still being on 14nm

isnt their 14 just as good as everyone else’s 10?