Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Agreed, when i built my machine up i was amazed at how clean it looked. once you take the sata cables away and have a case with some nice cable management it looks showroom-ey

I did cable it back up a bit by buying backplates for every single USB header on the board and the serial port header, but that's just me, i'm addicted to USB gadgets and won't use hubs on my good computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my case has a usb 2.0 connector on the front but my motherboard only has a usb 3.0 header

don’t think ive ever had everything on the front panel of the case work correctly, ever

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Agreed, when i built my machine up i was amazed at how clean it looked. once you take the sata cables away and have a case with some nice cable management it looks showroom-ey

I did cable it back up a bit by buying backplates for every single USB header on the board and the serial port header, but that's just me, i'm addicted to USB gadgets and won't use hubs on my good computers

the next case i buy won't even have space for an optical drive. a stark contrast to the old inwin q500 that had every bay occupied at one point (plextor cd-reader, yamaha cd-writer, dvd drive, zip drive, creative live bay thing, and, naturally, the ubiquitous floppy drive)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah for sure that poo poo's so weird. front is Just Fans (lian li lancool 205) as is the top

It does have a couple drive bays down in the bottom bit, and i was thinking of doing a 2x1t raid stripe with sata drives just for a scratch disk, but then i thought about it and i can just get two nvme drives for a few bucks more and put them on a $20 pcie card and have the same thing but faster.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
now with going all 2.5 inch ssd and nvme, my case is too large. it’s basically a motherboard, a gpu, and the psu in its tunnel. everything else is empty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

now with going all 2.5 inch ssd and nvme, my case is too large. it’s basically a motherboard, a gpu, and the psu in its tunnel. everything else is empty

a popular one from r/amd recently, with the title `I paid for the whole case, so i'm going to use the whole case`

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

consumer level atx, or the even larger e-atx, boards are still common even though the vast majority of people have no use for more than one pcie slot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
since this is general chipchat: what the gently caress is even happening here?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

what do you mean? intel ported the little/big core approach from mobile devices so they could up core count without actually having good fabs, as well as allowing people to run a 12th gen chip without needing a cooling pond. it's simple really

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you could start by reading the second page, titled "Intel Disabled AVX-512, but Not Really" and go from there, i guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buddy i didnt even click the link

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no poo poo?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel doesn’t have avx512 in their little cores, so you can either have little cores or avx512, but not both. intel is dumb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes. complicates things a bit, having to manually set the option isn't great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

intel doesn’t have avx512 in their little cores, so you can either have little cores or avx512, but not both. intel is dumb.

lmfao loving clowns lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

since core2 duo and ssds specs haven’t that much practical impact for desktop use and that’s a really good thing imo

i still like big number computer tho :kiddo:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Gentle Autist posted:

since core2 duo and ssds specs haven’t that much practical impact for desktop use and that’s a really good thing imo

i still like big number computer tho :kiddo:

personally i would put that at sandy bridge, but thats cause thats where i stopped lol

my 2500k desktop runs the internet fine, but my core2 laptop is starting to show its age. still works, but you gotta wait for it enough that you notice it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

buddy i didnt even click the link

Buddy, they wont even let me read it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raluek posted:

personally i would put that at sandy bridge, but thats cause thats where i stopped lol

my 2500k desktop runs the internet fine, but my core2 laptop is starting to show its age. still works, but you gotta wait for it enough that you notice it

web browsing got noticeably faster when i jumped from an i5-4670 to a ryzen 5800x

the modern web is hot dogshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a rather unexpected wrinkle with efficiency cores and really lovely drm

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

so glad some of the world's richest game companies need to use the shittiest drm possible, drm so lovely that some of them apparently patch denuvo out a year or two after release

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's cool how all the thinkpads with ryzen also have lovely 1080p screens.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lenovo absolutely adores low res garbage screens. I came across a thinkpad the other day with an 8th gen i5 and a 1366x768 screen.

like, who is that for?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they know no one cares because most lenovos are gonna get permadocked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lenovo absolutely adores low res garbage screens. I came across a thinkpad the other day with an 8th gen i5 and a 1366x768 screen.

like, who is that for?

best buy discount bin. that laptop will be sold for like $800 and someone will buy it because it has an i5 and 8gb ram and probably even an ssd

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

when I first got hired i was issued a thinkpad w540 with 16 gigs of ram, a high end haswell i7, a quadro, but a 5400 rpm hard drive and a 1080p tn screen. I hated that laptop.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love lenovo and hp selling business targeted systems with the absolute shittiest mechanical drives on the market

then again apple only stopped like a year or two ago

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love getting an ssd in my work laptop but the corporate spyware still makes it take 2 minutes to boot

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ours made onedrive a requirement and started doing some weird thing where all our files are kinda on our laptop but really on onedrive and it takes forever to load things and its impossible to tell if files are getting synced properly and really easy to lose progress which is awesome

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah we recently did the same. the option to have files always on device is greyed out so that’s going to be great when traveling someplace with sketchy internet

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jenny Agutter posted:

I love getting an ssd in my work laptop but the corporate spyware still makes it take 2 minutes to boot

now imagine corporate spyware and a spinning platter drive

i think it took me 15 minutes to boot, log in, and load lotus notes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

ours made onedrive a requirement and started doing some weird thing where all our files are kinda on our laptop but really on onedrive and it takes forever to load things and its impossible to tell if files are getting synced properly and really easy to lose progress which is awesome

same

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if i try to open any office file and its actually in the cloud and not on my computer, then after the file finishes downloading that particular office program (excel, word, etc) will totally crash. cool!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

carry on then posted:

now imagine corporate spyware and a spinning platter drive

i think it took me 15 minutes to boot, log in, and load lotus notes

my company, until 2019, didnt allow anyone under director level to have an ssd.

i used to go to the break room and hand grind some beans and make some french press coffee and come back and it still wouldnt be done booting

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HR briefly outsourced the provisioning of new starters to some startup and picked some lovely extremely overpriced foldable as the only option for everyone, including devs. It was the price of a MacBook Pro or an ok thinkpad and 100x worse for actual work

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the ryzen 1800x I got like 4 years ago still performs so well that I am not considering replacing it, while every PC I've had in the past had fallen way behind within 3 years of being built

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i figured with my 5900x setup i'd be good for 6-7 years. feeling fine about that decision

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m a core whore so yep 5900x still delivers those beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a 1080ti and a ryzen 5 2600x and despite both of them being a couple gens old and the 1080ti being a monster of a GPU when it was new, I feel like the ryzen will be fine for a while yet, and im looking at a replacement for the 1080ti.

ryzen good