Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how many of the currently sold nvidia gfx are a 1080ti w/dlss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a 1080ti and a ryzen 5 2600x and despite both of them being a couple gens old and the 1080ti being a monster of a GPU when it was new, I feel like the ryzen will be fine for a while yet, and im looking at a replacement for the 1080ti.

ryzen good

I built my PC with a 1050ti because it was at a time when GPU prices are stupid and I was going to buy later when it calmed down (narrator: "it didn't") but I still get playable performance in everything I've played on max settings - although I haven't tried some of the stuff that really push hardware (or are hideously unoptimized) like cyberpunk. That said, it has still lasted longer than any video card I've ever had - things used to get painful within 2-3 years while right now I don't have plans to replace it - though video card prices being insane is definitely a factor in that

the incredible beefiness of the 1800x and the relative mediocrity of the video card leads to some fun situations like the division running way better in dx10 than dx11 because dx11 pushes more stuff from the CPU onto the GPU, which with this combo is actually counterproductive

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i figured with my 5900x setup i'd be good for 6-7 years. feeling fine about that decision

your last desktop computer?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hobbesmaster posted:

the 2070 and 3060ti and cards around that level are basically this with rtx cores too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

your last desktop computer?

Basically yes.

when apple releases the m2 with 128gb of ram support, that'll be my last laptop too

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Intel cements a decisive lead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
290 you upgraded gfx card lately huh can I ask what you got? i missed it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

Intel cements a decisive lead

brutal takedown by intel there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

290 you upgraded gfx card lately huh can I ask what you got? i missed it

yeh i got lucky and got an evga 3070ti

it cranks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat yep that’s solid. I could only squeak in a 3060ti :cry: but no seriously it’s borderline ruined my rendering workflow because I used to set something up and then go off do something else but with all these cpu and rtx the rendering is done too fast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

you can’t reliably outpace a 1080ti today (on non-rtx workloads obvs) until you get to a 3070ti. we shan’t speak of the wet fart that was the 2xxx series, the 2080ti will outperform a 1080ti but not to a level that really justifies the upgrade.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lenovo absolutely adores low res garbage screens. I came across a thinkpad the other day with an 8th gen i5 and a 1366x768 screen.

like, who is that for?

lovely penny pinching it managers who report to the cfo

the extra $5 to go from i3 to i5 can be justified but saving the $200 to go to a non-poo poo screen will look real good come budget time

(this is also why they still sell platter drives)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

carry on then posted:

when I first got hired i was issued a thinkpad w540 with 16 gigs of ram, a high end haswell i7, a quadro, but a 5400 rpm hard drive and a 1080p tn screen. I hated that laptop.

carry on then posted:

now imagine corporate spyware and a spinning platter drive

i think it took me 15 minutes to boot, log in, and load lotus notes

tell me you worked for ibm w/o telling me you worked for ibm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
motorola gave me this hideous hp elitebook 15" with a loving numpad and three video outs and 90 minutes battery life. and a 640gb platter. in 2013.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just discovered that amd added resizable BAR support to the 3xxx series CPUs in like august or something. i've enabled it and lost my only reason to upgrade to a 5xxx series cpu for the foreseeable future

thanks amd!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i got your resizable bar right here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

i got your resizable bar right here

weird, looks like somebody clicked the minimize button

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i was playing with a ouija board earlier and received a message for yinz:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm jizzin' for ryzen!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

weird, looks like somebody clicked the minimize button

:negative:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

i just discovered that amd added resizable BAR support to the 3xxx series CPUs in like august or something. i've enabled it and lost my only reason to upgrade to a 5xxx series cpu for the foreseeable future

thanks amd!

nice.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'd really like the new 5800x3d but as the ultimate single-core performance chip of a popular socket I'm guessing it'll be impossible to get

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

big cooler

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
HFS

Apr 7, 2003

I’m jizzin’ for Ryzen!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's incredible, i figured you'd have tuckered yourself out by now

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

happy easter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he has ryzen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

close thread

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

and then reopen it 3 days later

Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!!!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is what i saw when i opened this thread

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ordered a 5600x on big discount, will be nice to see how little difference there is between it and the 3100 i am upgrading from

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gentle Autist posted:

ordered a 5600x on big discount, will be nice to see how little difference there is between it and the 3100 i am upgrading from

it looks pretty similar really. it’s when you put it into a motherboard with other components and turn it in that you notice a difference

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
5800x3d has been available on amd.com for the last few hours. I posted that in the amd thread, forgot about here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
saw a thing where they confirmed ECC ram works on the 3d line too. neato

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
does it actually work though because there are so many situations which they say works but not in the way you expect.

like “ecc works!” but what they mean is that your pc will post and boot with ecc but it won’t do any error correction
or it works in that it just hard locks
or it works properly
etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

would simply buy memory that doesn't generate errors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what use do normies have for ECC anyway