Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If a Ryzen lasts more than 4 hours, consult your doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jizzin' for Ryzen at least three times a week is associated with a decreased lifetime risk of fail aids.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
faids

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
let's not

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I just upgraded from a i7 3770 / 16 gigs of DDR3 @ 1600Mhz to a Ryzen 5600X / 16 gigs of DDR4 @ 3600mhz

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen

Nice!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol i run a 6700k @ 64g for my linux box and its a pig compared to my 5900x with 128g

i cant imagine going from a 3xxx to a ryzen.

Hope you're jizzin', friendo

and yes, i am a bigram slut

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's a whole new world. I use a MBP for mostly everything but needed to update my win machine for obvious reasons.

This little budget build whoops rear end though. ~$360 for mobo + CPU + ram.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
AMD's pretty shook rn so any 3xxx or low end 5xxx is like an insane budget deal right now. you can get ridiculous teraflops or whatever for a couple steak dinner's worth.

team red retains the crown. only contrarian jackasses are buying 12700k's or whatever they are

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been an AMD fan since the Atheron days. This i7 was gifted to me at the beginning of covid and got me messing with non-Apple stuff.

Fun to be back!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I just upgraded from a i7 3770 / 16 gigs of DDR3 @ 1600Mhz to a Ryzen 5600X / 16 gigs of DDR4 @ 3600mhz

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen

this is what i have but i jizz for other reasons (text me)

Apr 7, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

this is what i have but i jizz for other reasons (text me)

I’m sure you do.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The GHz giving me spurts

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

gigaspurtz

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gsz

Apr 7, 2003

Another day, another opportunity to boot up the ol’ Ryzen system and do some serious computing.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
our engineering leads somehow convinced the beancounters to splash out for those new lenovo workstations and lemme tell ya, our threads did not see that coming.

an elderly relative also walked the ivy bridge -> 5600x path recently and is blown away by how well train sim 2020 runs with that and his new GPU. I assume he's jizzin for simmin', but it's rude to ask.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm running a 5800h in my Alienware/Dell and been really happy with it. I had an Asus ROG A15 with the 4800h, really enjoying their mobile Ryzens.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

my Alienware/Dell

:whoptc:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Another day, another opportunity to boot up the ol’ Ryzen system and do some serious computing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I mean, it is a Dell. The Alienware series largely shares the same parts with the Dell G15, just they offer slightly better GPUs in the Alienware models.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve got a Dell G3 with a gtx1650 and it’s deece for bedtime gaming. that plus a Switch is :discourse:

Alienware stuff is mostly like the Dell stuff with every knob cranked to 11

no ryzen cpu in either though, which is shameful

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 14, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve got a Dell G3 with a gtx1650 and it’s deece for bedtime gaming. that plus a Switch is :discourse:

I came from a Dell Precision with the Xeon, and the Ryzen beat that out of the water. Ironically the Ryzen even takes the ECC DDR4 RAM, even though the motherboard doesn't support ECC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, it is a Dell. The Alienware series largely shares the same parts with the Dell G15, just they offer slightly better GPUs in the Alienware models.

I think they’re just referring to alienware/dell being trash. idk what the laptop market is like but the desktops are comically bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulhFi5N2hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvxSkqJ8ic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Alienware stuff is mostly like the Dell stuff with every knob cranked to 11

you had me at cranked knob

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just the idea of a presumable adult buying an Alienware is bizarre to me. honestly thought they were only bought by kids entering college. their design is like purposefully offputting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We have a bunch of Alienware at school because we needed RTX cards for VR/AR stuff but the school has a deal to only buy Dell products.

They're fine I guess

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jenny Agutter posted:

just the idea of a presumable adult buying an Alienware is bizarre to me. honestly thought they were only bought by kids entering college. their design is like purposefully offputting

Its been a perfectly functional workstation, main reason I got it was to keep using Ryzen but wanted a 3080 plus both SODIMMs. Big issue I've had with Ryzen machines is a lot of the higher end ones often come with at least one SODIMM soldered to the board, the Alienware was one of the few with both SODIMMs as socketed. Most of the ASUS ROG series with 30xx series Nvidia have only one accessible SODIMM.

I've been pretty happy performance.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

We have a bunch of Alienware at school because we needed RTX cards for VR/AR stuff but the school has a deal to only buy Dell products.

They're fine I guess

maybe if you aren’t looking at them thermal throttling

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I’m sure they’re perfectly functional but: lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That has Lightning, that's the Intel model, granted its hilarious they put the SD reader on the back?

Jenny Agutter posted:

I’m sure they’re perfectly functional but: lol

There isn't yet a good Workstation model with Ryzen 7/9 series, or I wouldn't be focusing on gaming laptops but as a bonus I get a decent GPU so I can remain mobile.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thing literally looks like stebe's yacht tho lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

freiza checking his emails on that thing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ultraviolet background prop looking laptop

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

CommieGIR posted:

Most of the ASUS ROG series with 30xx series Nvidia have only one accessible SODIMM.
i bought their G14 gamer trash model as a way to get a 30xx at the start of the pandemic and it's been riddled with constant driver issues and I hate it.

You can make it do this though, so who can say whether it's good or bad imo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

an actual frog posted:

:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

thing literally looks like stebe's yacht tho lol

gently caress it does too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

an actual frog posted:

i bought their G14 gamer trash model as a way to get a 30xx at the start of the pandemic and it's been riddled with constant driver issues and I hate it.

I had the G15 (506IU) and I was really happy with it:
Ryzen 7 4800h
2060 Ti
2 NVMe slots and a 2.5" Bay
2 SODIMM slots

It was severely lacking in cooling, however. Heatsinks were massively overwhelmed by both the 8c/16t CPU and the 2060.

I just keep laughing that if you pay more and get the "premium" ROG laptops, they give you less expansion options. Why would I pay more and get less? I really wanted the Duo model with the dual screens for no good reason

But losing a SODIMM slot was a deal killer.