Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is awful :smith: Shits only going to get increasingly worse while nothing continues to change because :capitalism:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/11/23/koalas-functionally-extinct-after-australia-bushfires-destroy-80-of-their-habitat/

quote:

As Australia experiences record-breaking drought and bushfires, koala populations have dwindled along with their habitat, leaving them “functionally extinct.”

The chairman of the Australian Koala Foundation, Deborah Tabart, estimates that over 1,000 koalas have been killed from the fires and that 80 percent of their habitat has been destroyed.

Recent bushfires, along with prolonged drought and deforestation has led to koalas becoming “functionally extinct” according to experts.

Functional extinction is when a population becomes so limited that they no longer play a significant role in their ecosystem and the population becomes no longer viable. While some individuals could produce, the limited number of koalas makes the long-term viability of the species unlikely and highly susceptible to disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Learn to eat more than one type of leaf, bitches.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

only the strong survive

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jose posted:

This is awful :smith: Shits only going to get increasingly worse while nothing continues to change because :capitalism:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/11/23/koalas-functionally-extinct-after-australia-bushfires-destroy-80-of-their-habitat/

I think things will continue to change, but not in the way anybody wants, OP.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

mexican willie posted:

only the strong survive

only the tasty

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope Homo sapiens are next

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On one hand it means I won't be able to eat Koala, on the other hand I don't have to worry about getting chlamydia because the meat was undercooked. Fair trade.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I for one am glad that the dropbear menace is fading away.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hey op we're all functionally extinct due to climate change

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Good news! Only two or three more cute species and people might maybe start to be a little bit concerned. Mr. Dick's betting on dolphins, pandas and hagfish.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Dumb fucks.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The real thing is cuter than the stuffed thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

"Who cares, we've still got a bunch in zoos, right?"
- your uncle, this coming Thanksgiving

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's really sad. Alexa, play Despacito.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zaepg posted:

Dumb fucks.

Why y’all such assholes to a cool animal? Idgi

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Burt Sexual posted:

Why y’all such assholes to a cool animal? Idgi

Cool is a weird way to describe some STD ridden animal that’s too bougie to eat anything but some rare and exotic leaf.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

buglord posted:

Cool is a weird way to describe some STD ridden animal that’s too bougie to eat anything but some rare and exotic leaf.

It only flares up when I run out of the lotion, you smug son of a bitch.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Good gently caress koalas, WOMBATS are better in every way.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

This sucks. We are the cause of all of mother Gaia's problems. Destroy the vast majority of humans.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
the one way to prevent something being done in Australia is to mention climate change. instantly shuts down the brains of the people in charge because they count on votes from the dumb fucks who don't believe in it and ofc votes are more important than koalas

for instance they've spent most of these bushfires figuring out how they can blame other parties and spread bullshit on social media to distract from the fact they cut $40m in funding for this sort of thing

as a nation we're loving stupid and I'm sorry. RIP koalas

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

That 8th grader was right. Koala's ARENT hard and they ARE some little bitches :(

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

buglord posted:

they all just died in a big fire and its really sad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Solice Kirsk posted:

It only flares up when I run out of the lotion, you smug son of a bitch.

Yeah! And weed is by no means "rare and exotic"!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I like that we didn't get more than ten posts in before someone shamed koalas as a species for having the clap

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

When I was a kid, I learned that when there is a fire, koalas just curl up into a ball and burn to death :(

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wish I was extinct

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

This is fine, because it is a harsh reality and Koalas are just too stupid and fluffy to survive. This will have no negative consequences, and certainly doesn't foreshadow any future issues.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

vyst posted:

I wish I was extinct

Have you tried curling up into a ball in the middle of a fire

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So is my dick but you don't see me bitching about it, OP

e: and you don't know what to say or do about THAT either, do you? You flippant bastard.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 24, 2019

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Good. Koalas are losers that cry when you kick them out of a tree

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's the current population of koala's? The internet is saying it's over 40,000.

There also appears to be some kind of koala protection law in the works?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

there goes my koala burger business plan

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

luncheon meat posted:

the one way to prevent something being done in Australia is to mention climate change. instantly shuts down the brains of the people in charge because they count on votes from the dumb fucks who don't believe in it and ofc votes are more important than koalas

for instance they've spent most of these bushfires figuring out how they can blame other parties and spread bullshit on social media to distract from the fact they cut $40m in funding for this sort of thing

as a nation we're loving stupid and I'm sorry. RIP koalas

On the other hand, the GoFundMe set up to help the Koala Hospital raised over $1 million in just over 3 weeks, which will allow them to bring forward their plans for a wild breeding programme.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gif...ASAAEgJPW_D_BwE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kangaroo tastes really nice i recommend it

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
:rip: cool looking animal.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

RocktheCaulk posted:

Good gently caress koalas, WOMBATS are better in every way.
Let's start going around putting wombats up in trees, then everything will be okay.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I'm going to suggest the Koala Hospital instead. It's much more accountable than the WWF.

https://www.koalahospital.org.au/

https://www.koalahospital.org.au/adopt-a-koala

https://www.facebook.com/koalahospital/

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Colonel Cancer posted:

I hope Homo sapiens are next

We really ought to get rid of that sapiens part