Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
This guy is hosed up, but as far as I can tell from the way it ended up presented in the news, the police and media combined are way more hosed up.

In that the news reported "the police say the guy needed medical help, the police say they were responding to a domestic disturbance involving his wife".

Meanwhile the immediate observable facts were the police went to the guy's house with an armored car and surrounded it with a SWAT team, which pretty much contradicts their story, and someone else's story is the police opened with threatening his wife that they'd call CPS if they couldn't immediately confiscate his guns, and that that was the "domestic disturbance involving his wife" - a technically true statement from the police but strongly implying "he was assaulting his wife," which nothing seems to corroborate (other than reasonable assumptions because the guy is clearly hosed up).

Just everything about what the police and reporters did seems tremendously irresponsible and incompetent, maybe even worse if they're telling the truth that they thought he needed medical help, which they're almost certainly not.

Also it sounded like the guy's one 'demand' was to get in writing that they aren't going to put him in jail or shoot him. This apparently led to a seven hour standoff. Surely this is a situation that could have been resolved peacefully and quickly, by saying "yes, okay, that's reasonable enough, we just want to take the illegal gun and that'll be the end of it." Problem solved, no seven hour standoff. Especially given they were meanwhile saying to the news "no intention of charges".

America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
:hmmyes: the dude who threatened to murder people if he wasn't promised no jailtime for the laws he admitted to breaking was reasonable

I just wish the police showed as much patience and understanding for militia psychos and freemen on the land to black children with backpacks who dared to be in the same neighborhood as the cops

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Serious question but do they explain how they would take on a drone dropping a bomb on their house?

Drones bombing weddings didn't make friends in Afghanistan what makes you think it would work here?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

shame on an IGA posted:

There was a dude in the replies burning his thin blue line flag and wish I could shoot that post straight into my engorged throbbing dick veins

There's a 100% chance he's still a Nazi.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

CPL593H posted:

There's a 100% chance he's still a Nazi.

I think you're working off a very different definition of Nazi than a normal person has

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JK Fresco posted:

I think you're working off a very different definition of Nazi than a normal person has

I took the post to mean that the guy burning the blue lives matter flag owned said blue lives matter flag before he decided to destroy it. I don't think people who own those think very highly of minorities.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

roomforthetuna posted:

This guy is hosed up, but as far as I can tell from the way it ended up presented in the news, the police and media combined are way more hosed up.

In that the news reported "the police say the guy needed medical help, the police say they were responding to a domestic disturbance involving his wife".

Meanwhile the immediate observable facts were the police went to the guy's house with an armored car and surrounded it with a SWAT team, which pretty much contradicts their story, and someone else's story is the police opened with threatening his wife that they'd call CPS if they couldn't immediately confiscate his guns, and that that was the "domestic disturbance involving his wife" - a technically true statement from the police but strongly implying "he was assaulting his wife," which nothing seems to corroborate (other than reasonable assumptions because the guy is clearly hosed up).

Just everything about what the police and reporters did seems tremendously irresponsible and incompetent, maybe even worse if they're telling the truth that they thought he needed medical help, which they're almost certainly not.

Also it sounded like the guy's one 'demand' was to get in writing that they aren't going to put him in jail or shoot him. This apparently led to a seven hour standoff. Surely this is a situation that could have been resolved peacefully and quickly, by saying "yes, okay, that's reasonable enough, we just want to take the illegal gun and that'll be the end of it." Problem solved, no seven hour standoff. Especially given they were meanwhile saying to the news "no intention of charges".

America.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

a drone dropping bombs on house(s) would frighten the populace and further galvanize the people/ lend credence to the narrative that the government is corrupt and dangerous

"why don't we just drop bombs on marigold lane Osage Ave. and wipe out the traitors" -- an actual question from a real person with real thoughts decision by the Philadelphia PD

gently caress

as we've said about so many things in this thread already, offer only valid when applied to white reactionaries

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/MOVE-Bombing-Anniversary-509838961.html

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

shame on an IGA posted:

as we've said about so many things in this thread already, offer only valid when applied to white reactionaries

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/MOVE-Bombing-Anniversary-509838961.html

So it worked and Philadelphia is a peaceful and obedient place now right?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

JK Fresco posted:

Drones bombing weddings didn't make friends in Afghanistan what makes you think it would work here?

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

a drone dropping bombs on house(s) would frighten the populace and further galvanize the people/ lend credence to the narrative that the government is corrupt and dangerous

"why don't we just drop bombs on marigold lane and wipe out the traitors" -- an actual question from a real person with real thoughts

gently caress

I think you both are reading a little too into this. My point is if they need this stockpile of ammo and mass weaponry to "protect them against the government" it's going to do fuckall if the government actually wants to take you down.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

JK Fresco posted:

So it worked and Philadelphia is a peaceful and obedient place now right?

Quite the opposite. The MOVE bombing kicked off the second American Revolution because people were so upset about it. Thousands flooded in to raid Philadelphia PD and overturn the state government. From there it grew and now black men are no longer harassed by police.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

He seems like a Nazi and I hope he suffers.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

roomforthetuna posted:

America.

drat, dude, you broke this whole psy-op wide open

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

,Me getting wasted on cheap bourbon in my attic as I check out the SWAT vans parked outside: "YOU BETTER ORDER ME A PIZZA LARGE PAPA JOHNS ANCHOIVE AND BLACK OLIVE OR THERE WILL BE BLOOD THIS WILL NOT END HOW YOU THINK IT WILL"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

America.

the police probably knew he had guns and likely had some credible evidence (whatever it was ) from his wife that this guy is willing to use them
thats why they used an armored car. it would be loving stupid not to use an armored car.

(i dont like police but i cant blame them for not wanting to die for a domestic disturbance)

p.s. it wasnt about illegal guns, thats just what he said it was about

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 25, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

JustaDamnFool posted:

These people would be more dangerous but they are all (so) hyper-individualised.

Good point. The very mechanism that allows an infinite variety of broken brain types ensures that they never become a large enough group to actually be a serious threat. It’s like the People’s Front of Judea sketch turned to eleven.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

seriously i agree that ACAB x twelve billion but you have to respect sound tactical decisions

reminder: nobody died here

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

roomforthetuna posted:

America.

Your narrative is entertaining and all but it's way more likely that the SWAT van showed up after he barricaded himself in his house and threatened to start shooting at the police

Like I'm the first to acknowledge that the police do hosed up fascist poo poo but they're also extremely lazy and showing up all rioted-out for a routine call is simply not their M.O.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also lets remember this dude fits the exact profile of people likely to actually shoot at cops unlike, say, a special needs nurse already spread eagled on the pavement or a 12 year old

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He doesn't fit the profile of people shot by police though, he is too white and right wing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GolfHole posted:

seriously i agree that ACAB x twelve billion but you have to respect sound tactical decisions

reminder: nobody died here

I know, that's why this is so dissapointing

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That dude's smug face looks amazingly slappable.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Your narrative is entertaining and all but it's way more likely that the SWAT van showed up after he barricaded himself in his house and threatened to start shooting at the police

Like I'm the first to acknowledge that the police do hosed up fascist poo poo but they're also extremely lazy and showing up all rioted-out for a routine call is simply not their M.O.

i mean, remember when they went full SWAT raid on that bar for an expired liquor license? they do dumb poo poo all the time

gotta use the toys to justify having them

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm gonna say it. If this was a black dude pulling the same poo poo the APC would have been through the living room and over the family dog and newborn and he would've been MP5'd

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

i mean, remember when they went full SWAT raid on that bar for an expired liquor license? they do dumb poo poo all the time

gotta use the toys to justify having them

Much as I don't think they were necessarily out of line in this case, yeah this is basically true. I am friends with a number of cops, and the mental and moral gymnastics they go through to try and justify why every small town in america needs an APC is mind boggling. We mostly just give them poo poo about how stupid it is and what a wast of resources it is, and silently thank jeebus that they live in an overwhelming white area where they can't run them through black peoples home because "drugs".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Biohazard posted:

I am friends with a number of cops,

:sever:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Remember a few years back when some cops were raiding a house for drugs and they threw a flash bang grenade into a baby's crib and were also at the wrong house?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

no, radicalize them! they can be the ones that unlock the weapon cabinets and supply their fellow workers when the revolution comes
they can be double class traitors

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CPL593H posted:

Remember a few years back when some cops were raiding a house for drugs and they threw a flash bang grenade into a baby's crib and were also at the wrong house?

Years?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

It feels like it's been years since that would be an actual news stort, yeah. Now it'd just be a Wednesday

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The fact that these guys feel like they have to fight the government during their moment of greatest power (save, perhaps, 2017) makes me think they might just really be in love with the idea of being the heroes of "Red Dawn"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's the same need to be a martyr that leads Christians living in a predominately Christian country to claim there's a "war on Christmas." Some people can't be happy unless they're suffering.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nessus posted:

The fact that these guys feel like they have to fight the government during their moment of greatest power (save, perhaps, 2017) makes me think they might just really be in love with the idea of being the heroes of "Red Dawn"

So many of these people truly want the Red Dawn scenario to happen, or rather cops or the military coming to take their guns and they'll stand up and fight.

Nope. They'll all sit there and take it. They are all cowards. There will be a few holdouts which will be quickly dispatched and every other chud will be in line ready to deposit them in the police gun collection pile.

I probably will. :shrug:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

It's the same need to be a martyr that leads Christians living in a predominately Christian country to claim there's a "war on Christmas." Some people can't be happy unless they're suffering.

Is this a thing with Christians? When my oldest was in Boy Scouts, it was mainly run by evangelicals, and every outing seemed like some kind of competition to out-suffer one another.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rad-daddio posted:

Is this a thing with Christians? When my oldest was in Boy Scouts, it was mainly run by evangelicals, and every outing seemed like some kind of competition to out-suffer one another.

When there's no actual hardships in your life you have to make some up or else you'll be forced to acknowledge your privilege

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

THE CIA MURDERED MICHAEL HASTINGS!!!!!!!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rad-daddio posted:

The history of Christianity is all about martyrdom, the teachings are all about suffering now for a better afterlife, saints being killed for their beliefs, etc. Modern Christians don't know how to cope with being the majority in the first world.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

The history of Christianity is all about martyrdom, the teachings are all about suffering now for a better afterlife, saints being killed for their beliefs, etc. Modern Christians don't know how to cope with being the majority in the first world.

In my case, it wan't Christians being fed to lions so much as Christian moms not being able to play Candy Crush on their phones because their kids were acting up.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rad-daddio posted:

It's been in the dna of the church since it was an 'outlawed' cult.
They were never really that persecuted, and the narrative of the Christian martyr was a fabrication to justify the oppression of other faiths once they came to power https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2017/11/darkening-age-how-christians-won-brutal-culture-war-against-rome
Like roman governors frequently had trouble with every christian wanting to be some murdered hero of their faith and there's a ton of correspondance complaining about the weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

It's been in the dna of the church since it was an 'outlawed' cult.
They were never really that persecuted, and the narrative of the Christian martyr was a fabrication to justify the oppression of other faiths once they came to power https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2017/11/darkening-age-how-christians-won-brutal-culture-war-against-rome
Like roman governors frequently had trouble with every christian wanting to be some murdered hero of their faith and there's a ton of correspondance complaining about the weirdos.

lol

"Look, if you all keep asking to be martyred we'll have no choice but to actually do that."