Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

stev posted:

Vagina doesn't actually smell of fish. Hth

This is the set up to a joke.

Also, why is it in every movie about the Teamsters all their member seem to be in their 50s. Aren't there any young Union truck drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SimonCat posted:

This is the set up to a joke.

Also, why is it in every movie about the Teamsters all their member seem to be in their 50s. Aren't there any young Union truck drivers?

Seniority.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Gatdang millenials don't wanna drive trucks, no need for benefits you can't convert to loot crates on steam

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Some dude who does deepfakes hosed around with the de-aging and it's still not perfect but I think he did a better job overall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRvbFhknRc

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I think it was just a fish, and the conversation is to demonstrate that Frank has his radar on high alert for threats and is pulling at any tiny thread he notices that might indicate something is amiss, AND Jessie Plemons character is an oblivious idiot who will go pick up a fish and deliver it without even noticing what type of fish it is.

Frank doesn't want to sit in the front seat with the other guy behind him. The other guy, by harping on about the fish, is trying to tell Frank that it wasn't a set up and that there really was a fish in the back, but Plemons is dumb and the conversation doesn't go anywhere useful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BiggerBoat posted:

Some dude who does deepfakes hosed around with the de-aging and it's still not perfect but I think he did a better job overall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRvbFhknRc

Henry Cavill's moustache and now this. The deepfake tech is better for facial modelling than building a digital model over the actor's face IMO.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Henry Cavill's moustache and now this. The deepfake tech is better for facial modelling than building a digital model over the actor's face IMO.

It still doesn't look quite right but I think it's better. Honestly, I wonder how much I'd notice if I didn't already know about it and how the actors looked in real life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Right, but this is the results form a single amateur with zero budget who trained and rendered it himself. Imagine if you actually had a Google consultant who was an expert in tensor AI poo poo helping the studio and 5 different guys working on this and could actually get high-res photogs of DeNiro or 8k scans of his 80s film frames. Good poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Imagine if you got someone with a functional nervous system and lubricated joints to play a 40 year old man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

JBP posted:

Imagine if you got someone with a functional nervous system and lubricated joints to play a 40 year old man.

Problem is that you lose DeNiro's performance. And yeah I'm not arguing that his performance as "a human who moves like a 40 year old" is convincing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JBP posted:

Oddly, one of the biggest times I was taken out of the film with young Frank had nothing to do with his face but when he was beating up the shopkeeper who gave his daughter some poo poo.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
that's probably the moment JBP's circuitously referring to

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Oddly, one of the biggest times I was taken out of the film with young Frank had nothing to do with his face but when he was beating up the shopkeeper who gave his daughter some poo poo.

Yeah that's the one. I noticed things like the slim suits and general fluidity of his movement throughout the entire movie though.

De Niro is a good actor but there are also 40 year old good actors. I didn't really love the movie in general but I do appreciate it as a bit of a victory lap for the director and his mainstay actors.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Giving him blue eyes was stupid too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Giving him blue eyes was stupid too.

Yeah he already looks like a Mediterranean gentleman just leave his eyes brown. You're doing speculative/alt history stuff his eyes don't matter.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

JBP posted:

Yeah he already looks like a Mediterranean gentleman just leave his eyes brown. You're doing speculative/alt history stuff his eyes don't matter.

Yeah, I think this was the biggest mistake with their aging tech.

We all know what DeNiro and celebrities like him look like in our minds eye, but if asked on the spot (without looking at a picture) what colour his eyes are, chances are the answer would be a guess.

I didn't know they weren't blue, he just looked wrong. The first instinct is that it must be the de-ageing tech at fault. If they were his natural colour it probably wouldn't have stood out so much.

I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen more Deepfake tech in Hollywood movies. It seems so easy. I wonder if there's a licensing issue since you're effectively using images and video from earlier performances you may not have the rights to reproduce...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The oddness of the de-aging works on a narrative level because it's a story being told to us. If you were the priest or anyone talking to Frank in 2000, what reference do you have about his stories besides his current appearance and some moldy photos? Sort of reminded me of how the narration and visuals purposely don't always match in Tarsem's The Fall because we're essentially hearing the story from one person and the visuals as imagined by another.

I don't know why people keep bringing up the grocery store scene since something about the sound effects made it more disturbing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When I imagine someone younger than now they don't look bizarre and distracting unless I choose to make them that way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The grocery store scene did look odd to me, but is it really because Robert De Niro cannot exert himself physically? The man has looked perfectly fit any time I’ve seen him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vegetable posted:

The grocery store scene did look odd to me, but is it really because Robert De Niro cannot exert himself physically? The man has looked perfectly fit any time I’ve seen him.

Hes like 80 years old, nobody can really move that well at that age.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I met Jack Lalanne when he was in his 90s and he could. But he was also a pretty atypical dude.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I met Jack Lalanne when he was in his 90s and he could. But he was also a pretty atypical dude.

He hoarded the power of futuristic juices, he doesn't count.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vegetable posted:

He can by physically fit and not be able to convincingly beat the poo poo out of someone and make himself look 40 years younger while doing it. At that age you'll just naturally move with a bit of stiffness.

I don't see why they couldn't have just used a body double for that scene the same way you'd use a stunt double for anything overly exerting or dangerous.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The worst part of that scene was the bad CGI glass when he first kicks the guy out. Not sure why he chose to use a wide shot there it wouldn't have looked good even with a body double.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
And I've posted this before, but it's not just about seeing any 80 year old guy try to play a 40 year old, this is Robert De Niro. We all know what kind of body he had and how he moved when he was in Raging Bull and there's a difference .

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Vegetable posted:

Compare how he moves in that scene to this scene from Goodfellas (starts around 2:45)

https://youtu.be/FwkPgFIjmmA

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I enjoyed the movie, but the thing I appreciated about it most was finally realizing why the Teamsters are called the Teamsters. I am dumb; I guess I thought they were just a generic all-kinds-of-trades union and that "teamster" was some kind of solidarity slang rather than what was originally probably shorthand for "horse wagon driver."

Also, almost all of the on-screen death texts were from 1979-1981. Was there a huge crackdown on organized crime around then?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

surf rock posted:

Also, almost all of the on-screen death texts were from 1979-1981. Was there a huge crackdown on organized crime around then?

Looks like Angelo Bruno's death in '80 kicked off a gang war. Couldn't tell you about '79.

Wikipedia posted:

Several factions within the Philadelphia family began conspiring to betray the aging Bruno. On March 21, 1980, the 69-year-old Bruno was killed by a shotgun blast in the back of the head as he sat in his car in front of his home at the intersection of 10th Street and Snyder Avenue in South Philadelphia; his driver, John Stanfa, was wounded.[9] It is believed that the killing was ordered by Antonio Caponigro, Bruno's consigliere. A few weeks later, Caponigro's lifeless body was found, battered and nude, in the trunk of a car in The Bronx.[10][11] The Commission had reportedly ordered Caponigro's murder because he assassinated Bruno without their sanction. Other Philadelphia family members involved in Bruno's murder were tortured and killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

surf rock posted:

I enjoyed the movie, but the thing I appreciated about it most was finally realizing why the Teamsters are called the Teamsters. I am dumb; I guess I thought they were just a generic all-kinds-of-trades union and that "teamster" was some kind of solidarity slang rather than what was originally probably shorthand for "horse wagon driver."

Yes.

It was roughly around the time when the real teeth behind the RICO statutes started to work and when more and more gangsters were dealing more and more in narcotics. Wiretaps, undercovers and surveillance were becoming a bigger thing too. Tougher sentences led to more squealing and informants.