Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just as much as the face the problem seems to be that they didn't CGI De Niro's body and he moves like a stooped over 75 year old man, because that's what he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's definitely true that Pesci and Pacino are the main draw here but man, this was a performance unlike anything I've seen Pesci do. He can definitely walk away from this and say it was totally worth coming out of retirement for because he owns every scene he's in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't find the de-aging too distracting, but it was sometimes difficult to keep up what time it was supposed to be. One thing I didn't quite get is the setup with the wedding meeting. Were they planning on killing Hoffa all along? Since Frank was supposed to be at that meeting, what's with all the poo poo about going/not going at the last moment, then flying to Detroit for some reason? Why have Frank kill him at all, and not the other guy's minion?

At first Frank was setting it up as an honest meeting to make peace, but then at the last minute he was told that they wouldn't be attending after all, with the obvious meaning implied that the decision had been made to kill Hoffa. It seems that Russell or others then either reconsidered or didn't like the way Frank reacted to the decision(he was obviously unhappy), and they decided to test his loyalty by having him do the deed. They aren't sure if he is going to side with Hoffa. And he almost does, Russell warns him not to call to warn Hoffa and Frank is shown staying up all night in bed staring at the phone considering it.

That's why Frank doesn't want to sit in the front seat of the car, he thinks he might be killed as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sheeran's claim about the murder of Hoffa is pretty interesting because there was blood found at the house right around the same spot where he said Hoffa was killed, but it was decades old so no DNA could be extracted.

I dunno, his story feels very plausible. It's a house only minutes away from where Hoffa was last seen, and in addition to the mystery blood stain that couldn't be tested, there was also a different blood stain that did have testable DNA and it wasn't Hoffa's. So the idea that this house was used multiple times to stage executions and dispose of bodies seems to line up with the evidence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

It’s presented in such a sudden, awkward way. The film’s been building to it for hours and then it’s just done.

I liked the way De Niro played it. He's hesitant all the way up to the final moment, to the point where he almost makes the mistake of allowing Hoffa to walk back out of the house. When Hoffa says "lets get outta here Frank" and turns to leave, you can see Frank's mind reeling as he tries to make the decision whether or not he's going to let him leave. And he almost waits too long.

It's also tragic how Hoffa turns and sees Frank clearly standing there with the gun but even then, he doesn't put 2 and 2 together because he thinks Frank is protecting him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The faces were really like any CGI heavy film, I kinda just flip that switch in my brain that says "there's fake poo poo in this movie but you're gonna accept it as real" and after a few minutes I barely thought about it outside of one or two specific shots.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unoriginal Name posted:

The blue eyes were infinitely worse than the deaging. DeNiro looks like he has advanced glaucoma in a couple scenes, on top of having like 4 seperate eye colors.

I honestly thought he was supposed to have glaucoma in a few of the later scenes, I really didn't even understand that it was just because the real Frank had blue eyes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depends on how young the story calls for, because I definitely feel like the kids they cast in Once Upon A Time In America bring the whole thing to a screeching halt. I wish Leone had just made a whole movie with De Niro and Woods(obviously the story would've needed a re-write).

The Irishman is different though, they could've cast a 25-30 year old actor who is actually talented in their own right, ala Jason Gordon-Levitt in Looper.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

I feel like if you do this with relatively unknown actors, people pretty much just accept it. Moonlight should be all you need to see for that to ring true.

That's definitely a part of it. Especially with a guy like De Niro, who's physicality was always such a huge part of his presence. It's hard to not notice when I have these images of him in Raging Bull or Taxi Driver or even later stuff like Ronin tattooed on my brain because he's such an iconic actor.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post but my point still stands

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s the inverse of his character in Goodfellas

Yea that's what is so impressive about it. I knew Pacino and De Niro were capable of the kind of performances they gave in this movie, but Pesci's came completely out of left field. He was already a legendary actor but I think this elevates that legend to an even higher level than it was before.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think it was just a fish, and the conversation is to demonstrate that Frank has his radar on high alert for threats and is pulling at any tiny thread he notices that might indicate something is amiss, AND Jessie Plemons character is an oblivious idiot who will go pick up a fish and deliver it without even noticing what type of fish it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

It seemed more abnormal to me that someone would expect him to know what fish he delivered.

It would be normal for a guy who actually takes ownership of his job and has a basic awareness about him to know something like that, but Plemons character just isn't that type of guy. He's more of a guy who you tell to go from point A to point B and drop off a fish and he never puts a single thought into it.

That's why they could use him to set up his father, he's a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
And I've posted this before, but it's not just about seeing any 80 year old guy try to play a 40 year old, this is Robert De Niro. We all know what kind of body he had and how he moved when he was in Raging Bull and there's a difference .