Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dante posted:

That's just part of the story that echoes the story from the book, and from the FBI Hoffa files. In the movie it's all weird because in one scene that's a devoted adopted son literally rushing a gunman for him and then he's helping him kill him...but then we learn he didn't know he was helping to kill him?? And then he disappears from the story, with no mention of how this might be an issue. This is part of the weird "movie can't decide what it wants to be" part for me. It wants to put in all these fun little pieces from the book, but the cast becomes so large it's impossible to tell it all in a coherent way even with a 3 hour + runtime.

It's probably because the book is based on a whole bunch of lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

De Niro might have looked like a man in this mid 40s at best but he certainly didn't look like a man in his 30s.

hahaha I thought he was supposed to be in his mid 40s in those scenes oops.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah he's the Irish Richard Kuklinski.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Having a goofy stand up comic play a mob boss was more distracting than the de-aging.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, Pesci hasn’t done stand up for thirty plus years, I think we all know him as a mob guy now

Why I oughta...

Budgie Jumping posted:

I was actually surprised by how much I liked Maniscalco in that role.

Same.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I was thinking why is he calling a guy his age "kid"?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't have a problem telling those apart he just didn't look as young as he was supposed to be and there wasn't much of a progression as he aged. The CGI wasn't distracting he just looked close to the same age as Pesci when they met.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It wasn't that it took me out of the movie it's that I didn't even realize how young he/they were supposed to be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khablam posted:

There's also some weirdness around the picture quality in the film. Given there's noise over their CGI faces, and it's consistent with the rest of it, I suspect they've used digital de-noising on the whole image, and then added noise back in artificially. There's just a consistent 'digital' feel to what is apparently a film mostly shot on 35mm.

I had assumed while watching it was shot digitally since it had that look throughout.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

romanowski posted:

I have never noticed digital blood in my life and I don't care to look up examples of it because it seems like a "once you notice it" thing and I would prefer to live in blissful ignorance

I didn't even think it was one of those things you have to notice it's so obvious compared to physical squibs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't know how making it a miniseries would change anything since the proper way to watch them or regular series is to binge them anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Giving him blue eyes was stupid too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The worst part of that scene was the bad CGI glass when he first kicks the guy out. Not sure why he chose to use a wide shot there it wouldn't have looked good even with a body double.