Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Butcher of The Blade
This poll is closed.
The Butcher 25 26.04%
The Blade 9 9.38%
Allie 62 64.58%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Drew McIntyre posted:

i just woke up, can someone tell me about the ratings

Edge was the Rated R Superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drew McIntyre posted:

i just woke up, can someone tell me about the ratings

they are bad, aew died

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Big Huski Boi posted:

Stop acting like this. No one is saying you're required to find anything interesting. There are a lot of topics I don't find interesting and I largely just don't post about them. You are free to do the same. My problem with you and others is the crybaby loving bitching at those of us who do care about ratings. It makes it seem like you care a whole lot.

maybe they want to talk about aew without going through 30 "IS THIS GOOD, ARE THESE NUMBERS BAD, GUYS NUMBERS" and "it's fine shut up" posts after every show

actual aew discussion: i like when the wrestler used a wrestling move on the other wrestler

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
be nice to my friend big huski boi

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sorry, math makes me upset

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Does anyone here only watch Dynamite and not follow the extra media (BTE, Dark, Twitter)? I've heard complaints that they're bad at getting characters/story across with just the TV, but since I'm firmly in the bubble I can't separate out and really judge it as a stand-alone product. I really like the show so I have to fight the urge to get defensive and tell people to get better at paying attention.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i only watch dynamite and the occasional dark match that i am interested in but it's impossible to not be kind of aware of peripheral stuff from being on here. i'm sorry for failing you

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

PublicOpinion posted:

Does anyone here only watch Dynamite and not follow the extra media (BTE, Dark, Twitter)? I've heard complaints that they're bad at getting characters/story across with just the TV, but since I'm firmly in the bubble I can't separate out and really judge it as a stand-alone product. I really like the show so I have to fight the urge to get defensive and tell people to get better at paying attention.

I’ve had this issue from their very first AEW show. People kept saying that they couldn’t follow the storylines and all I kept thinking was that they didn’t watch anything. Like even if you take BTE out of it the stories have all been very simple wrestling stories. Cody and Dustin are brothers who have family beef. Jericho and Omega want to prove who the best is. Page is young and inexperienced but wants to prove himself. I really couldn’t figure out what people were having a hard time with.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I’ve had this issue from their very first AEW show. People kept saying that they couldn’t follow the storylines and all I kept thinking was that they didn’t watch anything. Like even if you take BTE out of it the stories have all been very simple wrestling stories. Cody and Dustin are brothers who have family beef. Jericho and Omega want to prove who the best is. Page is young and inexperienced but wants to prove himself. I really couldn’t figure out what people were having a hard time with.

"where's all the talking"

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

PublicOpinion posted:

i only watch Dark and not BTE or twitter. they could be doing a better job explaining some characters. i don't know what the Young Bucks deal is, Darby Allin has been missing for a month, the women get thrown into random tag matches and Emi Sakura is a face and a heel at the same time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody seems to be cuckolding any other members of the roster and it's totally ruining my suspension of disbelief

They also do too many moves

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drew McIntyre posted:

i only watch Dark and not BTE or twitter. they could be doing a better job explaining some characters. i don't know what the Young Bucks deal is, Darby Allin has been missing for a month, the women get thrown into random tag matches and Emi Sakura is a face and a heel at the same time

I'm amazed that you can't tell what the Bucks deal is just by looking at them. They're cocky early 00s create a wrestlers.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The_Rob posted:

wrestling matches are insanely simple forms of visual storytelling and wwe have apparently made a ton of people completely unable to follow it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

lol look at this bad post:

how fFUCKIN dare they say "yuo should watch our show, its better". the gaddamn temerity to try to convince people two watch their shwo, who do not they thinks they are??/?

how did you get all that from my post, seems like some serious projecting to me

I want them to go harder on it so WWE will have to react because Vince getting involved in poo poo is hilarious

PublicOpinion posted:

Stop fighting the urge imo. I tried doing that earlier but got ignored so I gave up, maybe if more people do it it'll work.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The_Rob posted:

boomers need 20 minute promos to follow what's going on

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm amazed that you can't tell what the Bucks deal is just by looking at them. They're cocky early 00s create a wrestlers.

i dont think they've ever talked on tv

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Yinlock posted:

boomers need 20 minute promos to follow what's going on

I'm gonna need CG stink lines around one of the people in the ring so I know who the bad guy is

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
gently caress the ratings talk. What do you think Jungle Boy's hair smells like?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the bucks are DX ballard brothers and it's not ironic or performative. it's what they think is the coolest poo poo in the world. that can be cool if you like

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Really? I have no background in wrestling, and to me they’re just some dudes who wrestle.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Waffleopolis posted:

gently caress the ratings talk. What do you think Jungle Boy's hair smells like?

Bananas and fresh rainwater.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the story of AEW is that there’s this guy called the butcher....

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drew McIntyre posted:

i dont think they've ever talked on tv

They don't need to. Look at their gear and the way they carry themselves both in ring and during their entrances. I'm sorry that doing a bunch of flips and cool kicks while yelling things like "you're dead!" isn't enough for you for whatever reason.

These kinds of conversations always baffle me in the same way talking to people who say Fury Road has no story or character development baffles me. Visual storytelling is a thing, and it's especially a thing in wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pollyanna posted:

Really? I have no background in wrestling, and to me they’re just some dudes who wrestle.

They pretty much got over by breaking every unspoken wrestling rule and just embraced being indyriffic wrestling dorks. Old timers told them to slow it down so they sped it up. They told them to not do so many super kicks so they did twice as many super kicks. They started doing crotch chops and 2 sweets because they thought it was cool when they were kids. People criticized the indie taker move so they added a flip to it and named it after Dave Meltzer. The bucks are cool.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
What if Marty Scrull appears tonight an immediately shits his pants for 5 minutes?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

What if Marty Scrull appears tonight an immediately shits his pants for 5 minutes?

RAW isn't until Monday night

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that would be at least 2 stars better than if he debuts in a match

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Waffleopolis posted:

Then ratings will go through the roof baby. And I will actually want to talk about the ratings.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Waffleopolis posted:

Dreams

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The_Rob posted:

They pretty much got over by breaking every unspoken wrestling rule and just embraced being indyriffic wrestling dorks. Old timers told them to slow it down so they sped it up. They told them to not do so many super kicks so they did twice as many super kicks. They started doing crotch chops and 2 sweets because they thought it was cool when they were kids. People criticized the indie taker move so they added a flip to it and named it after Dave Meltzer. The bucks are cool.

That’s cool. Had no idea about this, none of it comes up in AEW - so I didn’t understand their significance. I assume that means they were groundbreakers in some way?

They’re still kinda just dudes to me though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Poop poop

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

The_Rob posted:

did they stop wrestling like this at some point. it's not coming across for me on tv, sorry if that offends you or anyone else, like Vince MechMahon

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like AEW isn't a great first introduction to the characters of the Bucks. To me, they're best when they get to be the main underlings of a charismatic heel leader. Crass, disrespectful, unoriginal, nasty little pricks who you desperately want to see get their comeuppance. Devotedly loyal right until another charismatic shitheel leader usurps the former king.

The issue with that was, the fans love them. Certain crowds physically can't not love them. So to make the show work they have to be this watered down, smiling babyface version of themselves. And like, the wrestlings still good so I'm not complaining too hard. But I'd love to see that era of Indy Taker/Corporate Kane again.

Also I feel like the only reason Jay White doesn't work as a Bullet Club leader as well as AJ or Kenny did is because the Bucks aren't there to sell him the way they did the other two.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pollyanna posted:

That’s cool. Had no idea about this, none of it comes up in AEW - so I didn’t understand their significance. I assume that means they were groundbreakers in some way?

They’re still kinda just dudes to me though.

They are very much groundbreakers in that I’d say they’re a big part of the reason the Indy landscape looks the way it does these days. Lots of people going out and doing their own things rather than just trying to recreate the past. Not to mention they’re one of the first Indy wrestlers I really remember merchandising themselves in a way that no one else was doing. Indy wrestlers would have shirts but they were usually kind of bland and generic and they would be few and far between. The bucks really figured out a way to monetize themselves In a way no-one else In the wrestling scene had. The way Indy wrestling merch works now owes a lot to
The bucks in my opinion.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 4, 2019

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Drew McIntyre posted:

did they stop wrestling like this at some point. it's not coming across for me on tv, sorry if that offends you or anyone else, like Vince MechMahon

I mean the thing with wrestling is once you get over you stay over. When wrestlers are young and trying to get over you do big crazy things so you can get noticed. Once you get over though you don’t really have to do much. The Bucks are over. They can go out have a super kick party and go home. They’re a brand in their own right and they’re probably thinking about their future at this point so they can retire and be mostly healthy. I can def see them having one last big heel turn though.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The_Rob posted:

They are very much groundbreakers in that I’d say they’re a big part of the reason the Indy landscape looks the way it does these days. Lots of people going out and doing their own things rather than just trying to recreate the past. Not to mention they’re one of the first Indy wrestlers I really remember merchandising themselves in a way that no one else was doing. Indy wrestlers would have shirts but they were usually kind of bland and generic and they would be few and far between. The bucks really figured out a way to monetize themselves In a way no-one else I’d say the way wrestling scene had. The way Indy wrestling merch works now owes a lot to
The bucks in my opinion.

The way they built their fan base through BTE and through doing so many meet and greets and stuff was also pretty revolutionary. They really connected with the fans in a way no one else really had before.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If Scurll debuts tonight I am pre-apologizing to J-Ru for getting probated spamming both threads and the dark thread with woop woop

I don't think he is, though

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i guess you had to be there, for the Young Bucks

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The_Rob posted:

They pretty much got over by breaking every unspoken wrestling rule and just embraced being indyriffic wrestling dorks.
To this point, it was a great spot when one of them pulled off Penta's mask during the All In ladder match. They embraced the role of disrespectful little shits, the crowd reacted and the conclusion of the match felt very cathartic. And I say this as a latecomer who hasn't quite warmed up to the Bucks in general yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think Marty shows up till after Final Battle.