Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Butcher of The Blade
This poll is closed.
The Butcher 25 26.04%
The Blade 9 9.38%
Allie 62 64.58%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Scurll is staying with ROH they’re gonna pay him a million dollars to wrestle PJ Black in front of 23 people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what about the butcher and the blade and the bun ny

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

PublicOpinion posted:

Does anyone here only watch Dynamite and not follow the extra media (BTE, Dark, Twitter)? I've heard complaints that they're bad at getting characters/story across with just the TV, but since I'm firmly in the bubble I can't separate out and really judge it as a stand-alone product. I really like the show so I have to fight the urge to get defensive and tell people to get better at paying attention.

I've seen the 2 most recent BTEs, but I basically just watch Dynamite. I think they could do a better job of explaining characters and storylines, particularly with the women. Just a quick video package of highlights or finishing moves would be helpful. Is AEW allowed to air footage from other promotions?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Drew McIntyre posted:

i guess you had to be there, for the Young Bucks

Yeah, kinda looks like it. I’d rather see new cool people get over in AEW, I feel like the Bucks’ time has passed since AEW neither mentions their significance nor do they continue to break ground. They’re cool, nothing special though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the bucks should get tired of kenny being all weird and bad and beat the poo poo out of him. would help everyone

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I do hold out hope that they'll turn the Bucks eventually. As great as P&P are for the Inner Circle, that is a role that is tailor made for the Bucks. To the point where I would not be surprised at all to hear they were originally slotted for that role.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the bucks vs golden lovers minifeud was really good and not just because i got to see their match live in long beach

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, kinda looks like it. I’d rather see new cool people get over in AEW, I feel like the Bucks’ time has passed since AEW neither mentions their significance nor do they continue to break ground. They’re cool, nothing special though.

Smartest thing they did since starting this company was job to Private Party in the first round of the tag tournament.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

As much as I like Trent, man I hope he doesn't beat Fenix

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pollyanna posted:

This is how wrestling works though. You have the stars. The wrestlers people know. And they’re there to get others over. Jungle boy and Marko Stunt were just a couple young Indy guys a few moths ago and now they wrestle on a national television channel. They’ve only had what like 8 eps of tv. It takes time to build people. It has to be an effort from all sides. The wrestlers have to present themselves in a certain way, management has to be willing to present them in a certain way and the fans have to buy it. If the bucks ducked out they’re would be no one in that gatekeeper roll which you need. Hero’s last run on the indies was that. He was the Indy gatekeeper. He was the dude they had you wrestle if you wanted someone to get over. Also the great thing about wrestling is that it’s extremely fluid. Guys can have a hot streak for a year go away come back in a few months and get a brand new hot streak.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crapple! posted:

As much as I like Trent, man I hope he doesn't beat Fenix

This would be a matter of Fenix having more charisma than Trent, hence he should win.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

cams posted:

the bucks vs golden lovers minifeud was really good and not just because i got to see their match live in long beach

I was at that match too and man the crowd was so drat hot for that match. I just remember all of us standing like that final half hour. It ruled.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

God I wish Roddy were here instead of NXT, he would be a perfect shithead heel. I also miss reDRagon pretty badly too.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

The_Rob posted:

This is how wrestling works though. You have the stars. The wrestlers people know. And they’re there to get others over.

i don't really know the Young Bucks other than hearing about them and how they used to be spot monkeys with no psychology. i don't know what their deal is other than the things that they used to do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you think about it the current young bucks are exactly what hulk hogan was in wcw. no one had ever seen him before but knew he was a huge deal. And his action figure felt good buzzing against my penis

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

if you think about it the current young bucks are exactly what hulk hogan was in wcw. no one had ever seen him before but knew he was a huge deal. And his action figure felt good buzzing against my penis

I'm not gonna call you Ca*auro anymore because I love you and don't want to make you sad but you really do earn it sometimes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cavauro posted:

Are you sure? Them being a big deal is just kind of an informed attribute in AEW, while there’s no way Hogan wasn’t a big deal regardless of where he went, because he was all over the media.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is Marty skurll coming tonight or what

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when u just put fresh duracells in ur lex luger

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pollyanna posted:

Are you sure? Them being a big deal is just kind of an informed attribute in AEW, while there’s no way Hogan wasn’t a big deal regardless of where he went, because he was all over the media.

I mean the thing is wrestling will never reach that level of cultural relevance and mainstream fame probably ever again. The way media is now it’s about niche interests and us being able to curate our own niche interests. So while you’re right that Hulk was a huge celeb. Cavuro is right that they are in the Hogan slot right now. Just obviously on a smaller scale. Even if you didn’t watch the bucks you certainly heard their names if you were at all
Interested in wrestling in the last 10
Years.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

seems like every time i see you quoting my posts it really makes my thoughts look very wrong and dumb! starting to be afraid to read it. But i'll always read it. don't worry

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

NienNunb posted:

I'm not gonna call you Ca*auro anymore because I love you and don't want to make you sad but you really do earn it sometimes.

Cumauro.......

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

the thing is, for American indie wrestling, they more or less are Hogan. Like it can't be overstated how important they were to Bullet Club's popularity, and it definitely can't be overstated how important Bullet Club was to popularizing non-WWE wrestling in the last decade. They are essentially as famous as non-fed wrestlers physically can be. Like I get what you mean by this not coming across on AEW tv but they absolutely are a big deal in this lovely little circle of the world.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

when u just put fresh duracells in ur lex luger

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anyone who has stepped into a Hot Topic in the past 5 years has seen a Young Bucks shirt, they were part of what made Bullet Club so popular and grew NJPW audiences in the USA, and they have goddamn Funko Pops. they're popular as all heck and you don't need to "get" them to like them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Heck, I haven’t been into Hot Topic I think literally ever, and I wasn’t into wrestling at the time, and I have a denim Bullet Club vest.

(It is because I found it sitting on top of my apartment building’s recycling bin, it is now my official Watching Wrestling attire :v: )

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i initially read the above the escape goat post (the poster with the john cena avatar) as somewhat aggressive, but once i read it two more times i began to see it more as an assertive declaration and not So much a "shouting down" as it were

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

With a company that's launching itself as a mainstream thing but which has indie guys as its big guns (with the exception of Mox, Cody, and Jericho), you're always going to get these moments where some people already know them and they're brand new to others. Your choices are either to do a complete reset on their characters (which is what WWE usually tries and fails to do) or to a greater or lesser extend hope that your audience catches up. The additional problem you have with the Bucks is that to do a "greatest hits" version of them to bring people up to speed would involve them winning a lot, and they've decided that they don't want to go over too much at first because going over as EVPs makes the whole thing look like a vanity project.

If I were them I'd have worked in more of the pre-Full-Gear video stuff into episodes of the show and given newcomers a reason to care much earlier, but otherwise it's pretty much a case of either buying into their gimmick or not.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

wrestling and anime have flipped in terms of cultural significance in the last 20 years havent they

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah the fact that the bucks were able to leverage funko pops and getting their shirts sold in a hot topic while not being backed by a major fed is a huge feat. Like it blows me away that I can walk into a Hot Topic and buy a Scorpio sky shirt right now. A dude I’ve been seeing at Indy shows since like 2004.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

boxcarhobo posted:

wrestling and anime have flipped in terms of cultural significance in the last 20 years havent they

to the detriment of us all

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The_Rob posted:

I’ve had this issue from their very first AEW show. People kept saying that they couldn’t follow the storylines and all I kept thinking was that they didn’t watch anything. Like even if you take BTE out of it the stories have all been very simple wrestling stories. Cody and Dustin are brothers who have family beef. Jericho and Omega want to prove who the best is. Page is young and inexperienced but wants to prove himself. I really couldn’t figure out what people were having a hard time with.

As someone who Just Posts but doesnt watch BTE at all one issue of AEW is a tell not show attitude in they assume viewers know things. This was most explicit with Page who was hyped as this next big thing but there were people in the matches before them and after them that were better.

Its become more pronounced in the women with being told Britt Baker and, as much as this pains me, Shida. Shida is a real bad one currently as none of her matches have been anything and people have latched onto like Jamie Hayter who in one match showed more wrestling and personality.

This reached fever pitch with the butcher and the blade and the bunny and the babe and the bronco and the bruiser and the barrel and the baron and the bongos and the braise and the beef. Everyone was left befuddled and we just kept being told THE BLADE but what we saw was just confusing and left most of us headscratching. Even if they had been on BTE for the audience it wouldve been hust as bizarre.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it should have been the blade, the butcher and the babe. its poetry, it rhymes

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lid posted:

As someone who Just Posts but doesnt watch BTE at all one issue of AEW is a tell not show attitude in they assume viewers know things. This was most explicit with Page who was hyped as this next big thing but there were people in the matches before them and after them that were better.

Its become more pronounced in the women with being told Britt Baker and, as much as this pains me, Shida. Shida is a real bad one currently as none of her matches have been anything and people have latched onto like Jamie Hayter who in one match showed more wrestling and personality.

This reached fever pitch with the butcher and the blade and the bunny and the babe and the bronco and the bruiser and the barrel and the baron and the bongos and the braise and the beef. Everyone was left befuddled and we just kept being told THE BLADE but what we saw was just confusing and left most of us headscratching. Even if they had been on BTE for the audience it wouldve been hust as bizarre.

I don’t get that mentality though. Wrestling is a weird world where any group of weirdo monocle perverts can cut a hole in the ring and attack the face of a wrestling company. Even if I didn’t know them I’d still be excited because there’s two weirdos who did just that. I didn’t get the fan reaction. Why do you have to immediately recognize someone. Sometimes a cool weird moment is just that.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Like The Dark Order’s Original appearance, B&B&B either needed to do a promo immediately after their beat down or have had vignettes aired leading up to their debut.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Like The Dark Order’s Original appearance, B&B&B either needed to do a promo immediately after their beat down or have had vignettes aired leading up to their debut.

I think they can fix it this week, though with a solid promo and maybe a destructive squash (throw Silver and Reynolds to them). Not to the extent that last week won't look like a fuckup, but to the extend that people might actually care about Pepper Parks and the rhythm guitarist from Every Time I Die.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the blade, the parade, and the medicaid

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, at this point anything is fixable, and hopefully they learn from it for future shows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

I have it on good authority (the creepy guy on the fringes of my friendship group who always latches on to whatever new fad 'the kids' are getting into now, because that helps him with his creeping) that Korean stuff is primed to replace Japanese stuff as the nerd zeitgeist.

If someone starts a Korean wrestling boom or makes a kpop concept album about wrestling we will be back on top in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Could you imagine if they had aired the #JoinDarkOrder promos before they had made their debut? Can you imagine the wet fart of a reaction they would've gotten when Evil Uno was revealed, and he looks like a hard boiled egg atop a pair of toothpicks?

AEW did the smart thing by airing the promos after Dark Order began wrestling for them.