Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Butcher of The Blade
This poll is closed.
The Butcher 25 26.04%
The Blade 9 9.38%
Allie 62 64.58%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

rob never said not to talk about ratings he was just saying it isnt interesting for him

The_Rob is The_Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have front row tickets to the 12/18 dynamite i am excited

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

gently caress yes! Enjoy!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh thank you sweet baby Jesus for this bountiful gift of another Wednesday (my Judas) :pray:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lid posted:

As someone who Just Posts but doesnt watch BTE at all one issue of AEW is a tell not show attitude in they assume viewers know things. This was most explicit with Page who was hyped as this next big thing but there were people in the matches before them and after them that were better.

Its become more pronounced in the women with being told Britt Baker and, as much as this pains me, Shida. Shida is a real bad one currently as none of her matches have been anything and people have latched onto like Jamie Hayter who in one match showed more wrestling and personality.

This reached fever pitch with the butcher and the blade and the bunny and the babe and the bronco and the bruiser and the barrel and the baron and the bongos and the braise and the beef. Everyone was left befuddled and we just kept being told THE BLADE but what we saw was just confusing and left most of us headscratching. Even if they had been on BTE for the audience it wouldve been hust as bizarre.

Page's early push was bad but that was borne out of 1) some circumstances beyond their control 2) it not being abundantly clear this brand-new promotion wasn't actually going to make Adam Page their first champion. In retrospect it was probably smart to make him the sacrifice necessary to get Jericho the belt & any other choice would have brought their own problems

Stuff like that or Britt Baker isn't necessarily a "storytelling" problem as much as it is them pushing a wrestler that a lot of people are not particularly entertained by. If you're relying on people's in-ring work to tell the majority of the story, they have to be good in the ring. Most of AEW's wrestlers are good at that so it sticks out when a few don't.

But they've done a good job of building Page up once Dynamite started without devoting a ton of airtime to him outside the confines of matches. That and the Dark Order makes me pretty confident they're not ever going to just leave an important thread dangling or keep forcing something that isn't working without trying different approaches. In that regard, a lot of the complaining about the Butcher/Blade/Bunny debut feels like a fundamental misread. You're not supposed to know who they are, or else they wouldn't have JR on commentary going "Who the gently caress are you talking about?" They're an unknown entity who debuted, attacked Cody and who we will assuredly learn more about.

The women's division is struggling from a storytelling perspective because it's clearly not getting the same level of care from production — it's not really that they're doing things more poorly than with the men's division; they've barely been doing things outside of the ring at all (save Brandi/Kong). Based on how everything else has gone to date I'm going to assume 1) they know it's an issue and 2) there's some reason they've been tossing out a hodgepodge of wrestlers instead of jumping in and addressing it right away. Possibly to ensure they have a more solid grasp on their talent before running into another issue where you're pressing someone like Britt into a spot she's not really ready for?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Excalibur knew who the Butcher and the Blade and the Bunny were, he just didn't explain it to anyone else

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Drew McIntyre posted:

Excalibur knew who the Butcher and the Blade and the Bunny were, he just didn't explain it to anyone else

Exactly. Any degree of coverage would have helped there. Even something like "They've been carving a path through the indies, but what are they doing here?"

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Wont be watching this week. Enjoy the show, everyone

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

PublicOpinion posted:

Does anyone here only watch Dynamite and not follow the extra media (BTE, Dark, Twitter)? I've heard complaints that they're bad at getting characters/story across with just the TV, but since I'm firmly in the bubble I can't separate out and really judge it as a stand-alone product. I really like the show so I have to fight the urge to get defensive and tell people to get better at paying attention.

i do not care for being the elite and do not follow the indy wrestling scene. i only started watching because i got a hankering for wrestling after watching GLOW and this was supposed to be the new wcw. from my perspective, the bucks are essentially the hardy boyz with unfortunate hair cuts and kinda lovely ring gear. i like their flips but sometimes their matches go on too long and it starts feeling like just a bunch of stuff happening. also the meltzer driver has a great name but in execution it is "not so great." i like the SCU version better

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yea ok posted:

are you gonna go next week

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I keep waiting for them to announce California. I can’t wait.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The_Rob posted:

I keep waiting for them to announce California. I can’t wait.

One of the Bucks indicated they were doing SoCal in the spring, and I’m hoping they work their way up the rest of the west coast.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

are you gonna go next week

is that the garland show? i thought about it but ultimately wednesdays are bad for me

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/EvilUno/status/1202336983424610305?s=20

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

Enjoy the sex, buddy :snoop: :quagmire:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thank you. Please check the General thread for something I said to you

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the issue with the butch and the bae is that they popped out of a hole in the ring, did a lovely looking double team and then stood about regarding the audience. if they had popped out of a hole in the ring and given cody ten piledrivers in a row it would have been more good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waiting for the day that Evil Uno registers a forums account to give us our orders :tinfoil:

#JoinDarkOrder

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
already did

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
More like the Dork Odor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ThePariah posted:

More like the Dork Odor.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

[in the style of larry zbyszko] the dark odour

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

evil uno is a big guy

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

PublicOpinion posted:

Does anyone here only watch Dynamite and not follow the extra media (BTE, Dark, Twitter)? I've heard complaints that they're bad at getting characters/story across with just the TV, but since I'm firmly in the bubble I can't separate out and really judge it as a stand-alone product. I really like the show so I have to fight the urge to get defensive and tell people to get better at paying attention.

I watch Dynamite and Dark but I don't really care for the Young Bucks as personalities or for their sense of humor so I don't watch BTE and I'd like it to remain separate from the TV show. Although I do like Chris Jericho making fun of the VP's self indulgences like with being the inner circle or his parody of Cody's very serious "I must win the championship" video.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Folks lets remember to wear suits and ties as we watch the funeral of AEW tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, kinda looks like it. I’d rather see new cool people get over in AEW, I feel like the Bucks’ time has passed since AEW neither mentions their significance nor do they continue to break ground. They’re cool, nothing special though.

Yeah, the Bucks explicitly have said their style of wrestling burnt twice as bright and three times as fast and that they are on the downswing until they can be full time AEW office staff rather than be full time office staff that also have to be one of the biggest draws.