Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I'm queer as gently caress and have watched wrestling since mid-94 for some reason. The Nobodies are great even if their recent thing of some kind of reclaiming of the f-slur makes me hell of uncomfortable. I don't really have other interesting things to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

TTBF posted:

My understanding about Asuka (talking about the Japanese wrestler whose name is written in kanji and not the Japanese wrestler ASUKA who works for WWE and whose name is written in English) is that they are agender, but I've also heard they're a transwoman.

Queerness in Japan is hard for me to get information on. Years ago I helped fund (via kickstarter) a documentary about queerness in Japan. I funded high enough to get a physical copy. It was released several years late, and played at a few festivals. I got a card informing me of the festivals two days before the last showing. I did not get the DVD. So that was great.

Otherwise my main source of info on queer culture in Japan comes from manga made by queer authors about being queer. My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness is great but also a universal tale - which itself is great, but not for insight into Japanese queer culture. My Brother's Husband is a much stronger look not just into Japanese queer culture but also how Japanese homophobia functoins and how homosexual relationships and interracial relationships are viewed in Japan. The end of chapters tend to talk about queer culture around the world. While it's more there to inform Japanese readers, non-Japanese readers can learn a bit about the culture by seeing what they find odd or unusual about our culture.

You can buy official English translations of both from Amazon.

A nice cute story I've been reading recently is My Son Is Probably Gay. It's about a mom who has two sons, one of whom is in high school and the other in middle school. The high schooler tries his best to hide his orientation, and his mom tries to support and comfort him. The dad, however, is totally clueless and tries to urge his son into pursuing more typically masculine actions. The mom and the younger brother will always try to either distract the dad or give reasons to support the high schooler's actions. It is very, very cute. I'm unaware of any official translation as it's a rather new comic.

It felt kinda Baby's First Queer Literature, but I recently read and enjoyed The Bride Was A Boy, a collection of a Japanese trans lady's webcomic autobiography.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

gently caress Lowtax, happy new year, hail satan

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Rarity posted:

NJPW is good and so is being queer

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Congratulations. Self-knowledge is cool and good.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Willy is off to his forever home and we've now decided to get a permanent doggo, meet Ava

She is a rescue who is borderline criminally underweight so she's currently eaten about her entire body weight in all protein high fat food and has since gone into a food coma on the bed

Good dog

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I am so bored. I haven't set foot out of the house in a week or so. I miss doing theatre.

Abolish prisons.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Happy Trans Day of Visibility, queer thread!

You too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Congrats!