Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp submission sent. Looking forward to being solidly mid-pack, as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

How did you determine the Corvette / C8 Corvette delineation, MrChips? I can see an argument either way.

I also defy anyone to look at a current base spec Ford Escape and show me something more boring.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Whoever put Tesla for Number 6 is wrong.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fiat / Chrysler / Fiat-Chrysler should all count as the same answer, imo. It's one company.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sharkytm posted:

I clarified my answer as such. FCA is the parent company.

MrChips posted:

You could make a case they should all be put together, but I took a pretty hard line when it came to combining answers for this question in particular, since it didn't really seem right for someone who said Chrysler specifically to be combined with someone who said Alfa specifically, same parent company or not. Plus, I did the same thing on the opposite question, breaking Lexus and Toyota apart.

Yeah, this makes sense. I should have read closer. The question asked for "Brand," Fiat - Chrysler is the Manufacturer. It is interesting, though, that the most and least reliable Manufacturers had more than half of the repsondant answers! AI likes Toyota and doesn't like Fiat - Chrysler.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

Mercedes SLS - 2
Elmnt80
meatpimp

:drat: I thought that'd be an ace, but Elmnt80 knows what's up.

quote:

Question 8: This piece of technology redefined the car as we know it today.

Heated steering wheel - bolind

Lots of solid arguments to be made here, but I think bolind was the only one that was correct.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:lol: Mondial. That's like the guy with the Jalpa that we laughed at in the late '80s because it was the baby Lamborghini. Seriously, though... did Jalpas do anything other than fade into ignominy?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I feel like the 100hp/liter thing is outdated. Everything is a 200+hp 2.0L turbo 4 these days.

100hp/liter has always been an NA benchmark. Forced induction changes the math entirely.

I'm surprised that "Maserati" was an ace for number 10.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lots of legitimate and quality answers for Number 14.

I'm kinda nervous about Number 15. I went with what I thought was sheep. :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

a) Wow, I've never been close to a top 5 finish.

b) There are a ton of great stories that have come out of AI, we should have an index.

c) Y'all answered W8 and W12, but only SharkyTM had the correct answer -- W16.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 31, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

There were a number of people who referred directly to said person, but I decided to put all those answers into ExplodingSim's truck, since, in my opinion, his own personal journey with the truck, if you can ignore everything else, is a worthy candidate in and of itself.

And yes, I think it's time to put the final nail in this story and move on once and for all.

Now, being meatpimp, I must take a contrary view. Presented for your consideration:

The ExplodingSims truck story was a great journey, agreed. But it dovetailed in with the larger epic saga of a poster that started on SA with a pic of himself licking his own flabby tit. And then it got weird.

That poster challenged a lot of us over the years, often in a direct and personal way. During the time of the Sims' truck journey, AI mobilized in a way that many would not believe would come from such a disparate group of people spread all of the world that happen to like cars. We organized physical equipment, money, and time to give that dude the support that... let's be honest, we'd collectively do for any one of us. We did it because this group is full of some damned good people that care and, just because the poster ultimately revealed that he was an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't mean that the entirety of the story is a bad one.

Before I go further, I'll point directly to Tremek and say again -- that dude went so far above what was reasonable to help. THAT is one of the things that should be remembered. Tremek put in blood, sweat, and tears for that poster and we will always recognize his sacrifices. That the situation went tits-up in such a lovely way is also something we'll remember, but for that to be the sole focus diminishes what he did and what we did as a community.

We were all engaged with the saga. And let's face it -- it wildly exceeded the excitement and drama that you'll find on a screen. During many times it bordered on the unbelievable. I know I shared developments on a sometimes daily basis with my wife, "so today Meth Guy did this..." And if you weren't watching it real-time, it'd be overwhelming.

But in that list of Number 15 answers, you can see that we have, collectively, done a lot of crazy poo poo of the years, and truly helped some people in an honest and personal way, and we should all feel proud of that. Just because one poster revealed that he was ultimately an rear end in a top hat doesn't cast much of a shadow on us as a whole.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

Well put.

Mr Chips, thanks again for the game!

Thanks.

And also, thanks to MrChips for another great game. I thought I was permanently mid-pack, with a mix of sheep and ace answers. This time just had some big point sheepers that worked out for me. I can't wait to see the metrics for this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thanks again, MrChips, the stats are always a fun way to wrap up a fun game. Your time and effort is appreciated!