Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
But what if were to take large stretches of Roman history, set it in space, and disguise it as my own creativity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angry Salami posted:

But what if were to take large stretches of Middle Eastern history, set it in space, and disguise it as my own creativity?

Honestly you could probably substitute literally anything there.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I have heard of several classical authors and romance poets, which my characters will endlessly quote in order to demonstrate my their culture and knowledge.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

(Thinks up idea for the new book's token sex scene, a wild act surely never yet performed anywhere on earth: EATING rear end.)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Dean of Swing posted:

The female character is 16 years old.

16 years old on Mercury, maybe.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Angry Salami posted:

But what if were to take large stretches of Roman history, set it in space, and disguise it as my own creativity?

Hoho, delightfully devilish Isaac!

naem
May 29, 2011

after a lucrative film/tv/video game licensing deal late in life and late night talk show appearances, frumpy sci-fi author leaves longtime wife for a much, much younger woman

in a wild divergence in tone the following book in series is a comedy sex romp

the next book a year later is a bitter tale of betrayal with evil minx girl aliens after new wife leaves with half his money

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What started as a fairly realistic, grounded and gritty series which infamously killed its presumed lead in book 2 has slowly morphed into a slapstick romp. Long time fans have complained about this change but the latest books bit with the gelatinous ooze with indigestion was, grudgingly, admitted to be hilarious.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Possible ideas:
Lizard man
Plant man
Insect man
Dog man
Cat man

naem
May 29, 2011

every book since 1994 has a stereotypical gen x style alternative/counterculture girl character with goth makeup and tattoos/piercings and an attitude, presented as super edgy

by the late 2000’s this trope got kinda dated

by 2020 it’s cycled around to being accidentally retro and stylish again

naem
May 29, 2011

comfortably well off author popular since the original 90’s tech boom whose life has been pleasantly sheltered by money is completely psychologically broken by the Trump election

unable to process why working people abandoned by the status quo and 40 years of wage stagnation might be manipulated into protest voting for such a divisive candidate, the author writes a near future book where anyone not living in a large coastal city has gone offensively feral and toothless in a cornfield somewhere firing shotguns wildly in the air nailing each other to crosses

book still not as scary as reality

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Look, her home planet has 3 suns so technically she's 18

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Drunken Baker posted:

The main character is also the bad guy and has blue skin and red eyes. He's super smart and super strong because he has a chair that injects him with needles that massage his muscles into being big. He also farts a lot, but the farts make women super horny and he is also the best at sex and has a massive nob.

Shadows of the Empire?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

In a drawn out scene, far more graphic and detailed than pretty much anything else I ever wrote, a female character is raped by an eight foot tall furry who had just finished killing her friends right in front of her with all of the exaggerated blood and gore of a cheap slasher flick.

I like to think of these novels as my love letter to fantasy classics like Lord of the Rings, the Narnia series, and Harry Potter.

hi bakker!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Time_pants posted:

Shadows of the Empire?

Yeah! I knew it was Star Wars but didn't want to google "blue skin good shagger".

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Applewhite posted:

Hoho, delightfully devilish Isaac!

At least he made fun of himself for it.

"So success is not a mystery, just brush up on your history, and borrow day by day.
Take an Empire that was Roman and you’ll find it is at home in all the starry Milky Way.
With a drive that’s hyperspatial, through the parsecs you will race, and you’ll find plotting is a breeze,
With a tiny bit of cribbin’ from the works of Edward Gibbon, and that Greek, Thucydides."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Groke posted:

At least he made fun of himself for it.

"So success is not a mystery, just brush up on your history, and borrow day by day.
Take an Empire that was Roman and you’ll find it is at home in all the starry Milky Way.
With a drive that’s hyperspatial, through the parsecs you will race, and you’ll find plotting is a breeze,
With a tiny bit of cribbin’ from the works of Edward Gibbon, and that Greek, Thucydides."

Like all goons, Asimov was rubbish at meter.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"We've travelled into a parallel universe, my friends, one where we're merely fictional characters! And this man before us is our author!" said Corporal Spacejones, still processing the information.

I stood in front of them, shocked to see my creations become real. Corporal Spacejones, handsome and well-muscled. I could see the scar on his chin from fighting the Glorblax, I could even smell the faint aroma of Venet-X Cologne that he loved so much. Next to him stood Alicia Cyberstone, beautiful and busty. Her breasts swayed in the wind, her nipples protruding from her thin shirt. It was significantly colder in my living room than on her home planet, and I could notice it made her nipples perky.

"You must be a well respected man on your world, a legendary mind like yours must be respected and revered!"

I looked away for a moment, sadly. This was mostly true, except for my ex-wife, Sandy. loving Sandy, who had decided that she wanted more from life than the amazing world I was able to give her. Who claimed my writing was derivative and had a "bizarre" focus on breasts. I could feel the righteous anger flow inside me, rage unlike any I had felt, rage like Spacejones had felt only when he came against the Dark Lord, Gigalazz. At this moment I remembered that Alicia was an empath. She was weeping, the tears flowing over her bountiful bosom. She looked at me.

"I am so sorry that you had to go through that horrible divorce. Sandy didn't know how good she had it, and her lawyer was a disgusting pig who screwed you over in the settlement. What did she bring, financially, to your relationship anyway? Nothing. You wrote the books, you did the tours, she did NOTHING!"

I could feel her anger rising, and she was right to be angry. Spacejones was reaching for his Atomic Destroyer pistol, you could tell he was ready for blood.

"No, my friends, I am the bigger person in this. Sandy can enjoy her pathetic life living without me. She's a terrible person and her judgment will come one day. Very soon, I assume, as she's very old for an Earth woman!"

We all laughed at this joke, because it was true and very funny. Little did I know at the time that Sandy was currently dying of a mysterious space plague that we would soon investigate. Her death was horrible and violent. We would later meet the Space Coroner and he said it was possibly the most violent and awful death he'd ever seen, and that she had suffered for hours. No great loss.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The spaceplague ends up being a bioweapon developed by politically deviant elements originating from space universities throughout the sector. The students calls for radical political reform threaten to destroy society as we know it, and serve as a thin disguise for pushing their disgusting social and sexual values onto an unwitting populace. Spacejones and his ragtag group of war veterans, space police, and wealthy philanthropists infiltrate the space universities posing as space navy recruiters. There, both the true depth of the students villainy is revealed, and also a spark of hope in the youth is kindled when Spacesteve Johnson enlists out of patriotic duty on day one and becomes enmeshed in intrigue almost immediately.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A book series about a group of young hopeful people swept up in a revolution to bring democracy and freedom to their country ends with them being gun downed and the books epilogue makes it clear the world continued on and their sacrifice was ultimately meaningless and unmourned

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

naem posted:

comfortably well off author popular since the original 90’s tech boom whose life has been pleasantly sheltered by money is completely psychologically broken by the Trump election

unable to process why working people abandoned by the status quo and 40 years of wage stagnation might be manipulated into protest voting for such a divisive candidate, the author writes a near future book where anyone not living in a large coastal city has gone offensively feral and toothless in a cornfield somewhere firing shotguns wildly in the air nailing each other to crosses

book still not as scary as reality

No, they voted for D'nald the Tromp out of their space anxiety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
“Why, that woman just lightly made front of me in front of a bunch of con-going nerds! I KNOW!”

- Sexually assaults her on stage