Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I thought a lot of the video settings flags don't affect the analog video output at all, or does turning on scan doubling change that? (I only have 15khz monitors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

HKR posted:

I can't seem to find any method for doing that however. Does anyone know if there are ini settings I can apply that only affect the analog video out as opposed to both HDMI and analog?

The ini implies that the CRT options rely on the FPGA Scaler being used so any of those settings will have to impact both HDMI out and CRT out afaik. (You either get the analog signal scaled to your digital HDMI output and the raw analog signal coming from the core, or you get a scaled analog signal)

I believe the settings.sh script will only affect the mister main settings and won't actually read or apply to per core changes. You're better off manually editing the ini anyway and potentially having multiple ini files to swap between instead of relying on the shell script which is intended for beginners.

I'd be curious as to why your vhd files are getting corrupted when you have a video mode set weirdly, but I'd assume the game on load or DOS is trying to force a resolution it can't support/some monitor setting like CGA/EGA and it's not smart enough to reset it when you revert the config.

looking at the examples in that wiki, it's weird that vga_scaler=1 isn't set for all of ao486 examples. It probably should definitely be set.

Reading the forum thread: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=2375&start=120
there's a ton more options for CRT including cvt timings, but also a few people also describing crashes like you're seeing but with no real resolution other than to slow the CPU down and then speed it up after. /shrug

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 17, 2024

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Saoshyant posted:

Oh look, a newer FPGA that isn't actually vaporware! It's being chatted about on the Jotego Discord and seems like it's a step up from the DE10, with an open architecture so it can be built by anyone.

That sounds fantastic as it addresses some issues the Mister is missing in my humble opinion. So far there seems to be one guy who is selling from Spain. Hope there'll be more coverage of this device soon as well as more resellers (and perhaps a nicer case).

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Got the 0mhz games loaded onto my Mister.
It'd be nice if the collection I got included Mechwarrior 2, but that's a game that really only ran properly on a Pentium II, even though the initial spec was 486SX (no fpu)

Played Doom, the 0mhz version includes a version of Fast Doom which - yeah original Doom only plays properly on a Pentium system. This sourceport runs 30% faster than original, which is funny and interesting. "Who cares? Maxing out performance on DOS doom 486 is a nerd parlor trick" but on mister this is an essentil

I also loaded the top 300 collection. They have a collection of bootable floppies organized by year. I'd forgotten that the IBM PC actually had games that booted directly from floppy. The only time I'd ever booted from floppy on actual hardware was in the slim few years before systems supported booting an OS installer from CD. Growing up I went from Apple II to Windows 95. Anyway, these games are old and you really need to adjust the CPU speed because their timing is tied to the clock. Thankfully Mister makes it easy (or at least easier than dosbox) IBM port of Lode Runner runs properly on XT @ 7mhz and too fast at XT @ 8mhz.

Fun thing, you can set the clock speed to "max (unstable)" and Doom will crash and dump the contents of its registers and stack to the screen using graphics mode. Not sure if that's part of the Fast Doom source port, but I guess that's how people debugged dos games back in the day.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I didn't catch this when it happened, but the TMNT arcade core (which also runs PunkShot + Missing In Action) moved from Jotego's paywall to a public release. You can grab it manually or on update_all.

Also, I've never messed around with Amiga stuff but Skidmarks looks rad in a Super Off Road / RC Pro-Am sort of way:

https://twitter.com/dantemendes/status/1782041130059682134

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I wrote a basic wrapper for chdman after I got sick of moving the binary around when I downloaded a new pack of stuff for disc games that use .bin/.cue. Maybe it's useful for somebody else here so I put up a gist of it.

https://gist.github.com/jski/ffc18c525f237302c800a9c0aee8ab31

.chd output seems to work on the mister cores I've tried it on, so it's nice to have everything in one file instead of worrying about folders and stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

root of all eval posted:

The onboard Linux OS has on MiSTer feels like a pretty big feature and ecosystem beyond basic io. Am I just not thinking about it right?
The hard ARM core running Linux provides MiSTer with its file access and non-SNAC input capabilities. If you have the right kernel modules loaded MiSTer can support loading ROMs from any filesystem Linux can mount and using any input device Linux recognizes as a keyboard, pointing device, or game controller. I'm with you, that's a substantial thing for a lot of users.

Basic things like loading ROMs from a FAT32 SD card and standard USB peripherals wouldn't be too hard to support with any kind of microcontroller or soft core, and of course "SNAC" style native controller stuff goes direct to the core anyways, but someone like me who's mounting their ROM directories over SMB from WiFi while playing with a combination of Xbox pads, DIY controller adapters, and Wiimotes is going to have a serious uphill battle without Linux.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

wolrah posted:

The hard ARM core running Linux provides MiSTer with its file access and non-SNAC input capabilities. If you have the right kernel modules loaded MiSTer can support loading ROMs from any filesystem Linux can mount and using any input device Linux recognizes as a keyboard, pointing device, or game controller. I'm with you, that's a substantial thing for a lot of users.

Basic things like loading ROMs from a FAT32 SD card and standard USB peripherals wouldn't be too hard to support with any kind of microcontroller or soft core, and of course "SNAC" style native controller stuff goes direct to the core anyways, but someone like me who's mounting their ROM directories over SMB from WiFi while playing with a combination of Xbox pads, DIY controller adapters, and Wiimotes is going to have a serious uphill battle without Linux.

Yeah, pretty much all of this. I've also got my stuff mounted over my LAN, and that's huge for me. It means I can live with just small microSD card in my MiSTer while having everything available all the time. Pretty much nobody's going to put the work into a bespoke SMB implementation, so without something like a Linux distribution, that's not likely to be an option. I really do think that the work that's been put into the Linux environment on MiSTer is seriously overlooked by a lot of people for how much it contributes to the overall experience.

On a semi-related note, I've been dinking around with wizzo's TapTo and it's a really neat way of making things pretty accessible and easy for launching favorite games or cores. I'm going to need to take some time to design some nice labels to print on my cards, though.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is it safe to run update_all now or am I going to lose some arcade cores?

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

bone emulator posted:

Is it safe to run update_all now or am I going to lose some arcade cores?

You could, just like, back up your main and .rbf files, then rollback if things aren't to your liking.
One of the reasons this box is better than RPi or the like.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, the issue is supposedly fixed, but it doesn't hurt to backup the SD card (or whatever) before you run the script. In fact, start doing this as an habit so you don't get caught by surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Don't know why I never checked out the computer cores before. There's something novel about loading Dark Forces on this tiny device, pulling up the OSD and tinkering with scanlines.

It is weird that the 486 core doesn't have remapping options in the menu, though. I'd like to try using a controller's right analog stick as a mouse, put WASD on the left stick, interact and jump on face buttons, etc.