Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Jotego is setting up the CPS1 core github, so it's officially a work in progress. Who knows when we'll see the first public test release but it's good to know this is on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

elf help book posted:

The pack is also like a year old so it's missing many of the arcade games anyway.

Yeah that’s what I thought, Is there a newer version? I thought Smokemonster stopped releasing packs.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

There’s a script for an arcade specific pack, called Retrodriven. But also they’re just plain mame zips so you can find them pretty easy now.

Also the newest official update script should grab the MRA files, so if you’re seeing that extension in the _Arcade directory, you’re set for those.

ugottagroove
Sep 21, 2003

Crazy Taxi?
Hey, thread. Sorry if this is a taboo subject. I’m building my first MiSTer and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the BliSTer https://misteraddons.com/product/blisster-2/ as an option for low latency inputs/using old controllers. It’s a USB hub that has 2 ports that support Bliss Box controller adapters (I just learned what that is too).

Seems to have a number of drawbacks like not being officially supported, having to download modified cores to support the low latency ports, and having to buy adapters ($5-10 each).

That said it’ll still function as a regular USB hub and it does have a power switch so that’s neat. It isn’t much more expensive than a regular USB hub. Oh there’s experimental light gun support too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

vkeios posted:

There’s a script for an arcade specific pack, called Retrodriven. But also they’re just plain mame zips so you can find them pretty easy now.

Also the newest official update script should grab the MRA files, so if you’re seeing that extension in the _Arcade directory, you’re set for those.

elf help book posted:

If you open your _Arcade folder, do you see a bunch of .mra files? or a bunch of .rbf files?

They are like 99.9% of the way to moving all to a new, easier, arcade standard that just uses mame roms instead of custom built rom files. If you're using a premade set, it's probably set up the old way, but the update script may have set up your file structure the new way, so things aren't auto-loading for you.

Thanks for the tips, seems like the problem was the file structure was incorrect and wasn't putting the roms in the right folder. Aside from a couple of games that said I'm missing .rbf files, everything was working great. It was already brought up, but some of these games are really awkward without a arcade stick with the right gate... finally gives me a reason to eventually pick a stick up.

Also fixed my controller input lag problem, had to change vsync_adjust to low latency in the MiSTer file in case anyone runs into the same issue.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ugottagroove posted:

Hey, thread. Sorry if this is a taboo subject. I’m building my first MiSTer and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the BliSTer https://misteraddons.com/product/blisster-2/ as an option for low latency inputs/using old controllers. It’s a USB hub that has 2 ports that support Bliss Box controller adapters (I just learned what that is too).

Seems to have a number of drawbacks like not being officially supported, having to download modified cores to support the low latency ports, and having to buy adapters ($5-10 each).

That said it’ll still function as a regular USB hub and it does have a power switch so that’s neat. It isn’t much more expensive than a regular USB hub. Oh there’s experimental light gun support too.

I've got an order in for one whenever the next batch is available. My understanding is that the Bliss Box ports on it can be used as USB devices when LLAPI is not in use, so with the upcoming 1ms polling for USB devices in MiSTer, I'm honestly less concerned about being able to use LLAPI on it than I am being able to use my actual controllers. It'd be nice to have LLAPI integrated into everything (and, who knows, maybe the LLOAD will be enough reason to add LLAPI in as a stock option), but if that doesn't happen, I'm OK with that, too.

Regarding the adaptor cost, the benefit, as I see it, is that getting an adaptor for a new controller is going to be cheaper than buying a whole new USB adaptor for it.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Its only taboo on the other forum, because the mr dev has some kind of hate-on for them, which began when bb dev requested attribution for the protocol, triggering mr dev so hard that now any mention on that forum apparently results in locked thread, or reportedly(I haven't gone on there yet) banning from discord, etc.

Honestly slightly worried s*rg will find this post somehow and punish me on the other forum, since I reg'd with same nick before realizing all this weird drama. seems like a difficult personality overall, that others end up tip-toeing around.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
sorg is gonna kick your rear end

ugottagroove
Sep 21, 2003

Crazy Taxi?

Kreeblah posted:

I've got an order in for one whenever the next batch is available. My understanding is that the Bliss Box ports on it can be used as USB devices when LLAPI is not in use, so with the upcoming 1ms polling for USB devices in MiSTer, I'm honestly less concerned about being able to use LLAPI on it than I am being able to use my actual controllers. It'd be nice to have LLAPI integrated into everything (and, who knows, maybe the LLOAD will be enough reason to add LLAPI in as a stock option), but if that doesn't happen, I'm OK with that, too.

Regarding the adaptor cost, the benefit, as I see it, is that getting an adaptor for a new controller is going to be cheaper than buying a whole new USB adaptor for it.

I’ll keep my preorder. Off chance do you know if the NES/SNES Mini controllers will with work the Wii adapter in LLAPI mode?

Also https://twitter.com/smokemonstertwi/status/1216502827557646336?s=21

Edit forgot word

ugottagroove fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 13, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

katkillad2 posted:

For a lot of them, seems you need to know the actual syntax to get some games going.

That's normal for emulation/simulation of old computers and micros, at least for games on disk or tape. Systems that could use carts (C64, MSX etc) will autoboot to those if present.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ugottagroove posted:

I’ll keep my preorder. Off chance do you know if the NES/SNES Mini controllers will with work the Wii adapter in LLAPI mode?

Also https://twitter.com/smokemonstertwi/status/1216502827557646336?s=21

Edit forgot word

I dunno offhand. I'd be curious to know the answer to that, though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/owlnonymous/status/1106261353390637056

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Rampage and a couple of other games on the MiSTer!

This doesn't contain the mame roms you need so I assume safe to post: https://github.com/alanswx/Arcade-MCR3Mono_MiSTer/tree/master/releases

Since I'm pretty new to this stuff, how soon does things like this work their way into the automatic scripts? Just trying to figure out if I need to stay on top of arcade releases and manually include them or if I wait a week or two they show up on scripts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The normal update script just parses the core list on the wiki page, so as soon as it's on there, it's included in the updater, and that normally happens as soon as it's pulled into the official repo

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Arcade-Cores-List
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-MCR3Mono_MiSTer

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Unless it's something I'm really really excited about, I don't worry about it until it's on the official repo, and gets pulled in by the updater.

Outside of jotego's arcade stuff. He's keeping his stuff separate, but has his own update script anyway.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Anyone happen to know what’s the difference between the current / old version of Blisster vs the new one coming out in February? Other than the power button.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Bonobos posted:

Anyone happen to know what’s the difference between the current / old version of Blisster vs the new one coming out in February? Other than the power button.

The ports shouldn't rip off as easily in the upcoming batch. Apparently the factory that made the first run didn't bake them long enough for the solder to adhere properly.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

The ports shouldn't rip off as easily in the upcoming batch. Apparently the factory that made the first run didn't bake them long enough for the solder to adhere properly.

Lovely. Wonder if it’s worth upgrading. I have the old version but I haven’t even installed it yet.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I got my RAM and IO board today, so I've been testing them out. They work great, though I did have to change one thing on my IO board. The fan it came with was really loving loud. Changing it from running at 5V to 3.3V fixed that, though, since it's running at a lower speed now. If anybody else runs into the same issue, this is what you need to do:

Move the jumper next to the fan power from where it is in that picture to where is circled on it. That'll swap the power to the fan from 5V to 3.3V. Some of the sellers like the guy who runs Mister Addons (he was actually the one who suggested it to me) do that for the boards they sell before shipping them out, so I'm assuming it's reasonably safe.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
You know those 8Bitdo wireless Gamecube/Wii controller adapters that are on sale every other day? I picked one up to see if I could use my SNES Classic controller on the MiSTer, and sure enough it works. It's a wireless adapter but you can just plug the USB cable right in and use it in wired mode. The adapter's buttons can also be mapped in MiSTer so you could do something like set the little home button to pull up the menu.

Pretty cool if you have an NES/SNES Classic, Wii Classic, or GameCube controller laying around. I'm very happy with my Retrobit Saturn pad for Sega stuff, but Super Mario World didn't quite feel right with those buttons.

Also, I played Kirby's Block Ball for the first time today and it rules.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 18, 2020

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If anybody wants to see my legendary QA skills at work at stumping the ever living hell out of Jotego, check his discord.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

If anybody wants to see my legendary QA skills at work at stumping the ever living hell out of Jotego, check his discord.

Took a couple days of checking back, but if you were getting hit by invisible bullets in the 1942 core? It's fixed now. :v:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The Linux update with 1ms polling is out. Just update your Linux image and then create a u-boot.txt file in /media/fat and reboot to turn it on. There's an example one in there with the settings to enable 1ms polling, so you can just copy that to u-boot.txt or rename it.

Also, apparently Terrasic and/or Intel was too cheap to buy MAC addresses for this thing, which is why MiSTer uses 02:03:04:05:06:07 (otherwise it generates a random MAC address on each boot). So, if anybody has two of them that they have problems using on ethernet at the same time, that's probably why.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Well uh

Glory be

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1221777040782897153?s=21

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Aight, now I'm in.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I finally pulled the trigger last week on a kit from ultimatemister.com, which I believe is a reputable seller.

I’d been fence-sitting on getting one for about a year, but everything reminds me of that amazing emulation rush of the late 90s/early-2000s. I kind of missed that exciting feeling I had of “oh, I wonder if someone is gonna do Mortal Kombat / oh poo poo, there it is!” that projects like MAME and others had back in their younger days.

Kudos to the people working on this, it really is something to watch this happen again in real-time. It’s not often you get to experience a magic trick twice and enjoy it in the same way.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

TealShark posted:

I finally pulled the trigger last week on a kit from ultimatemister.com, which I believe is a reputable seller.

I’d been fence-sitting on getting one for about a year, but everything reminds me of that amazing emulation rush of the late 90s/early-2000s. I kind of missed that exciting feeling I had of “oh, I wonder if someone is gonna do Mortal Kombat / oh poo poo, there it is!” that projects like MAME and others had back in their younger days.

Kudos to the people working on this, it really is something to watch this happen again in real-time. It’s not often you get to experience a magic trick twice and enjoy it in the same way.

My dude, this very much encapsulates how I feel about the project too, but even moreso I have a chance to actually contribute to it! Extra gratifying.

The latest additions of the MCR cores are also fabulous: Tapper, Tron/Discs of Tron, Spy Hunter, Rampage, Journey (no cassette) and more have just hit the scene.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

My dude, this very much encapsulates how I feel about the project too, but even moreso I have a chance to actually contribute to it! Extra gratifying.

The latest additions of the MCR cores are also fabulous: Tapper, Tron/Discs of Tron, Spy Hunter, Rampage, Journey (no cassette) and more have just hit the scene.

There are so many arcade games that I’ve never had the chance to play in hardware or software emulation that the current activity level on core coding is making me giddy for.

I know I could spark them up in MAME, but I really have more of a desire to play them as close to if not exactly as they were back when my family wouldn’t let me go as a kid to the local arcades. 😀

Thanks for your contributions to this. This really is a magnificent project, both for revisiting the classics and for historical preservation.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is anyone working on a mister version that connects to a jamma harness to plug in to my arcade board? I'd love to play Sega system 16-ish era stuff.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

falz posted:

Is anyone working on a mister version that connects to a jamma harness to plug in to my arcade board? I'd love to play Sega system 16-ish era stuff.

Gonna say “too early” on System 16. Mister-X is working on Sega System 1 and 2 currently.

As far as jamma harness, I’m gonna plead ignorance on that but expect it will come up once Jotego nails CPS1 (in progress).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

falz posted:

I don't know if this answers your question, but I noticed this video posted of someone getting MiSTer working on his jamma candy cab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaWLJGcA88

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Gonna say “too early” on System 16. Mister-X is working on Sega System 1 and 2 currently.

As far as jamma harness, I’m gonna plead ignorance on that but expect it will come up once Jotego nails CPS1 (in progress).

Ahh bummer. I don't have any mister stuff so wasn't sure how powerful it is, or how much love it's gotten in the arcade area.

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know if this answers your question, but I noticed this video posted of someone getting MiSTer working on his jamma candy cab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaWLJGcA88

Haven't had a chance to watch entire thing yet, but this dude just made his own using https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/j-pac-en/j-pac-jamma-interface/

Not having a mister (yet), it looks like video just passes through.

Can mister output 240p 15khz over the vga output?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does anyone in here go on the atari forum, and did it get deleted today or something?

edit: nm, its back. Was basically 404ing most of the day.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 8, 2020

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

38 days for my official MiSTer case to arrive... Ordered from Misteraddons. I understood from the beginning it was going to take a while though, so wasn't too upset with the wait. Was just excited to finally get it.

Turns out, that it doesn't fit with how my USB hub was made. If you get a case from Misteraddons make sure your USB hub has the male to male connector for the bridge. Originally I was kind of pissed at whom I ordered the USB Hub from, but had some people confirm that's how theirs was also built and was common. There's pictures from ultimate mister showing the official case with enough room to fit how my USB hub was made. So why would someone make the change to make the slot smaller to only fit how a specific type of USB hub was built? A very cynical me would say they changed it in a way so only their USB hub would fit. Why wouldn't you err on the side that would accept all USB hubs like the other official case makers do?

So I either have to order another USB hub or butcher the case to make it fit... not very happy.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

katkillad2 posted:

38 days for my official MiSTer case to arrive... Ordered from Misteraddons. I understood from the beginning it was going to take a while though, so wasn't too upset with the wait. Was just excited to finally get it.

Turns out, that it doesn't fit with how my USB hub was made. If you get a case from Misteraddons make sure your USB hub has the male to male connector for the bridge. Originally I was kind of pissed at whom I ordered the USB Hub from, but had some people confirm that's how theirs was also built and was common. There's pictures from ultimate mister showing the official case with enough room to fit how my USB hub was made. So why would someone make the change to make the slot smaller to only fit how a specific type of USB hub was built? A very cynical me would say they changed it in a way so only their USB hub would fit. Why wouldn't you err on the side that would accept all USB hubs like the other official case makers do?

So I either have to order another USB hub or butcher the case to make it fit... not very happy.

Use the contact form on the site to ask about what can be done for you here. The guy who runs it tends to be pretty willing to figure out solutions for folks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Use the contact form on the site to ask about what can be done for you here. The guy who runs it tends to be pretty willing to figure out solutions for folks.

In the discord I was complaining in trying to get this figured out, someone already brought it up to him and he suggested filing it down to make the hole bigger... I don't have the tools to do that and there's no way that will turn out good. If you look at the USB hub on their site and select with bridge it has a comment saying the bracket type bridge does not work on his case. There's no warning on the case page though which is the only thing I ordered and looked at from them.

The only real options seem to be wait months for another case from a different seller with the bigger slot or buy another USB hub with the male to male connector.

If anyone is looking for a cheap USB hub I'll sell mine for $30 shipped(US Only). It's v2.1 and perfect if you aren't overly interested in a full case and/or you get the case from Ultimate Mister or Retroshop.pt when they start selling them again. If interested let me know and I'll make an SA mart post, otherwise I'll put it on Ebay in a few days.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Has anyone used a hard drive with their MiSTer yet, and if so, what’s your drive/USB setup?

I happened to have a 4TB portable USB drive kicking around and tried it out, but I can’t get it working. The light on the USB hub comes on, the light on the drive flashes a few times, then comes on, but I can’t see the files. Supposedly, if you create a /games folder there it will work seamlessly as long as you delete the matching sub folders on the SD, but no luck.

I have a sneaking suspicion the hub doesn’t provide enough power (it’s the kind that uses a splitter on the DE10’s power supply) for the larger drive, so I probably need a smaller one, a separately powered one, or an SSD. The drive clicks a few times on power up, which it doesn’t do connected to my PC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is the drive ExFAT and not NTFS or AFS or something?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

https://twitter.com/mrx_8b/status/1227243397229899777?s=21

It’s comin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i guess i'm not one who understand it, but just looked it up and its basically galaga + tempest(radial movement)? Doesn't seem that exciting :shrug: