Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

peepsalot posted:

i guess i'm not one who understand it, but just looked it up and its basically galaga + tempest(radial movement)? Doesn't seem that exciting :shrug:

It is when there hasn’t been a decent port of it since the PS1. Nobody gets the sound right, and it’s crucial because that game heckin slaps. I’ll admit that, at face value, it doesn’t seem like much. I may be bent toward nostalgia and being mesmerized, but it’s my favorite video game and I’m tired of seeing Gyruss crash on Raspberry Pis, so now I will have a Gyruss I can take with me wherever I go, and not even Hamster has stepped up to give me that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is the most superficial of questions, but what sort of case or enclosure are people using for their MiSTer boards?

There seem to be a myriad of 3D printed options out there either on Etsy or eBay...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

This is the most superficial of questions, but what sort of case or enclosure are people using for their MiSTer boards?

There seem to be a myriad of 3D printed options out there either on Etsy or eBay...

It’s not a bad question at all, or superficial to my understanding. I got an acrylic one cut from MisterAddons, but he doesn’t sell it anymore. It’s fragile and I’ll probably replace it soon. As for what I recommend, that I am not sure of.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

In case anybody wants to see Journey with the cassette tape replicated, look no further (skip to 3:33 for that sweetness):

https://youtu.be/TDgKkLOX_BA

I don’t usually get to make this joke, but dammit, it was worth it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I don't think anyone is selling these yet, but these are the coolest one's I've seen if you aren't worried about dust:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

My 2nd USB hub that I had to purchase because the first one didn't fit arrived and now I can finally appreciate my case:

Someone made a good point against a case like this though, kind of removes the ability of it to be modular if any add-ons become available down the line I might want. Whatever though, I love this case and I'm happy with how the MiSTer currently performs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

katkillad2 posted:

My 2nd USB hub that I had to purchase because the first one didn't fit arrived and now I can finally appreciate my case:

Someone made a good point against a case like this though, kind of removes the ability of it to be modular if any add-ons become available down the line I might want. Whatever though, I love this case and I'm happy with how the MiSTer currently performs.

Where did you get this one? I saw a similar case but it had seams at every vertex whereas this one seems to be a legit box.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Where did you get this one? I saw a similar case but it had seams at every vertex whereas this one seems to be a legit box.

Probably just a lovely pic on my end seeming that way. It's 6 pcb plates you fit together. I got it from Misteraddons.com, but he's temporarily stopped pre-orders for cases.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Does anyone know a good supplier of these in the UK? I
MiSTer is surprisingly frustrating to google.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Gaz2k21 posted:

sorry no, but...

Gaz2k21 posted:

usually adding "fpga" to the search terms helps

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Gaz2k21 posted:

If you mean the official case then ultimatemister.com is based in Portugal and shipping to the UK takes about a week in my experience.

If you're looking for Mister stuff in general then I recommend misterfpga.co.uk or this guy on eBay. I've used both and had great service from them.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
CPS core beta begins today, presumably only for jotego's Patreon supporters.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1231210959504539648

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

CPS core beta begins today, presumably only for jotego's Patreon supporters.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1231210959504539648

That is correct. Scuttlebutt is that it’s a decent proof of concept but it’s got a LONG way to go. 3 cores available: Ghouls n Ghosts, Willow, and Final Fight.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Hell yeah Willow owns.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The Gyruss core got released, so I put it through its paces. It’s good, but will get better once the sound timing is adjusted.

https://youtu.be/gPP9513AAgA

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My expansion board is on the way but I've held off on getting the ram expansion module due to a couple of the reputable sellers postponing sales until verified units can be sourced.

Anyone have a current seller who is moving SDRAM modules for the DE-10 that are verified to be what they say they are?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

My expansion board is on the way but I've held off on getting the ram expansion module due to a couple of the reputable sellers postponing sales until verified units can be sourced.

Anyone have a current seller who is moving SDRAM modules for the DE-10 that are verified to be what they say they are?
What size are you looking for? For 32MB module I got one from ebay dailydeals1001 and ran the memtest just fine for hours at 150MHz. Even shipped surprisingly fast.
Only negative I would say is that the board came to me absolutely covered with liquid flux or something, had to douse and wipe with a lot of rubbing alcohol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is 32MB sufficient for the current slate of available cores?

I figured I'd just get a 128MB module and not have to mess with it again. I've seen prices for the 128 capacity modules that are around $60 but I'm not interested in buying ones that aren't clocked correctly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
32mb is fine unless you want to get into NeoGeo where you might need up to 100MB. Also some of the fatter GBA games might not work because they need 33.5MB.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are there multiple versions/revisions of the expansion board out there?

I bought an expansion board from zerohimself on etsy but it doesn't match up exactly with what is shown here: http://www.legacypixels.com/docs/mister_install_guide.pdf

I'm pretty sure this is why the case I bought doesn't work 100%. The main problem is that the buttons are not in the right spot to work with the spots that are cut out on the case. A secondary issue is that the extra USB port that the expansion board offers is completely blanked off by the case because the case doesn't expect it to be there at all.

I mean, the case is a dumb protection for the device but I feel like it should be easier than this.

Update: the seller of the case is really good at responding and he let me know that the board I bought from zerohimself is different than the one that cbmstuff.com sells/sold. He's going to update the design and send me a new one for shipping costs.

So if you need a case the corei64 dude seems a solid source since he not only sells them but he designs them himself.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 16, 2020

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is the drive ExFAT and not NTFS or AFS or something?

Took a while to resolve, but I'm pretty sure it was a power issue. I tried a y-cable like I needed on the Wii U and it still didn't work. Just last night, I found an old 1TB PiDrive I wound up not using for a Retropie project and set that up - copied the exact folder structure from the drive that didn't work. And it worked just fine.

It might have worked with a beefier power supply, but this drive should be enough for now. If we get a PSX core, I might try a 2TB and see if that works.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Anyone know of a place to find a MiSTer case like this that includes a section for the USB hub?

Just trying to find a lightweight case for my first build.

40-Degree Day fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 11, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is there any way for this to play GB/GBC games as if they're going through a Super Game Boy?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there any way for this to play GB/GBC games as if they're going through a Super Game Boy?

Not currently. That would probably take some time and talent to figure out, and I wouldn’t say impossible, but it’s not there yet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I didn't even think about that but that would be super loving cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Due to the way the Super Game Boy works that'd require basically running a Game Boy core inside of a SNES core, which probably isn't a trivial task.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The Kins posted:

Due to the way the Super Game Boy works that'd require basically running a Game Boy core inside of a SNES core, which probably isn't a trivial task.

Correct. It is definitely not trivial.

For content - in case anybody likes playthroughs with dogs on lap, here’s a run of Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker on the Genesis core: https://youtu.be/aPGPkZeL8Q4

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got my hands on a DE-10 nano last week and 128MB SDRAM just before the weekend.

I'd been contemplating purchasing an Analogue Super NT for ages, the Super Nintendo is one of my favourite systems of all time - it was my first console, I still have my original SNES sitting in a box in my spare room along with the games I had as a kid. I was working a night shift, so I set up the SD card, took it with me so I could hook it up to my monitor on break and get some sweet sweet gaming in. Except that I couldn't, because a bug in the most recent core at the time means that your input mapping won't save as it isn't creating the config/inputs.ini file and folder properly; I wouldn't learn this for a day or two though.

Really this was presaging the tinkering I was going to have to do to get this thing up and running - every problem I solved seemed to generate a new one. Okay, awesome, I've solved my input mapping woes; why can't I get any HDMI display? Okay, I've got through the ini settings and tried to tailor things to my display and...mm, nope, still happening? Did I download a corrupt rom? Oh, wait, no, cool, the Genesis core is working. Wait, now it isn't, but the Arcade ones still are. Now nothing works? Wait, poo poo, hang on...

And on and on. My SDRAM wasn't inserted properly and was wigging everything out giving me many and varied weird effects that were resolved by me unseating and reseating it properly

It may sound like I begrudge this process. While I definitely had a few grumbling thoughts of "if I'd bought the Super NT I'd be up and running by now", I actually love the feel of slowly tinkering and personalising the MiSTer. Someone upthread compared it to the early days of MAME and I definitely notice the resemblance.

Well, it's up and running now and already I'm planning out ways I want to organise my ROM collection and what other cores I want to explore to catch up on retro gaming I never really had access to as a kid (Sega CD here I come!).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Correct. It is definitely not trivial.

For content - in case anybody likes playthroughs with dogs on lap, here’s a run of Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker on the Genesis core: https://youtu.be/aPGPkZeL8Q4

Yeah there was some very brief discussion about how one would implement it on RetroArch/the Pi but it never really went anywhere. I believe Higan can actually do it but IIRC the GB emulation itself isn't great, and there's other emulators that can add the borders and sort of approximate it but no real all around solution to it. I asked about it for this because maybe the only way it could really happen is if an entire SGB core was made or even specific ones for each game like what folks are doing with arcade games for the MiSTer.

Mode 7 posted:

Got my hands on a DE-10 nano last week and 128MB SDRAM just before the weekend.

It really is fun, I'm really interested in seeing this develop more because I was in the middle of getting the stuff to assemble a supergun but if this can do FPGA Neo Geo and other arcade games for slightly less work than that? :perfect:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah there was some very brief discussion about how one would implement it on RetroArch/the Pi but it never really went anywhere. I believe Higan can actually do it but IIRC the GB emulation itself isn't great, and there's other emulators that can add the borders and sort of approximate it but no real all around solution to it. I asked about it for this because maybe the only way it could really happen is if an entire SGB core was made or even specific ones for each game like what folks are doing with arcade games for the MiSTer.

BSNES on PC Retroarch can do it. The only glitch I’ve noticed is a bit of weirdness with the Donkey Kong border, the actual gameplay, including the “Help!” sound, seems to be ok.

I think the Higan core does do it as well, but I haven’t had any luck getting it to work with my front end.

But it is literally emulating the full SGB alongside the SNES emulation, down to the startup and menus. If the FPGA has enough space for both the SNES core and Game Boy core at the same time, it’s likely doable. I assume something like the SA-1 is at least as complex as a Game Boy, so if it loads addon chips on demand instead of all at once, it could work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are there multiple versions/revisions of the expansion board out there?

I bought an expansion board from zerohimself on etsy but it doesn't match up exactly with what is shown here: http://www.legacypixels.com/docs/mister_install_guide.pdf

I'm pretty sure this is why the case I bought doesn't work 100%. The main problem is that the buttons are not in the right spot to work with the spots that are cut out on the case. A secondary issue is that the extra USB port that the expansion board offers is completely blanked off by the case because the case doesn't expect it to be there at all.

I mean, the case is a dumb protection for the device but I feel like it should be easier than this.

Update: the seller of the case is really good at responding and he let me know that the board I bought from zerohimself is different than the one that cbmstuff.com sells/sold. He's going to update the design and send me a new one for shipping costs.

So if you need a case the corei64 dude seems a solid source since he not only sells them but he designs them himself.

All that said, since I'm getting an updated case design to work with the zerohimself expansion board, if anyone in this thread has the older style expansion board that cbmstuff.com sold and wants a case for their setup, I'll send it to you for shipping costs. It's kind of useless to me since that board revision doesn't seem to be widely available anymore. The one I have is gray with a black fan vent and a multi-color button pack. Shoot me a pm or an email (brian@iamserio.us)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

The Double Dragon arcade core is now up for the public. Definitely going to check this out tonight, I think my only experience with the game was on NES.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The Double Dragon arcade core is now up for the public. Definitely going to check this out tonight, I think my only experience with the game was on NES.

Hot tip: Jump + Punch = Back Elbow, Jump + Kick = Jumping Back Kick

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hot tip: Jump + Punch = Back Elbow, Jump + Kick = Jumping Back Kick

:hellyeah:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Aaand here's Double Dragon 2. Jotego's on a roll.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Needing some help from you fine folks.

I just got my MiSTer today and was testing it on my kv-13fs100. I got the SNES core to work fine but the Genesis core looks like this. This is using a VGA to Component cable with YPbPr set to 1 in the ini file. The video_mode in the ini file is set to 2; I saw this on an Atari Age forum post, not sure what it does. This is a USA rom and the Region is set to USA. I fiddled with the settings in the core but nothing I did worked. Is whats wrong easily identified from the video? Any other ideas?

Another question:

Do I need anything other than the release file from the github for all the cores? If I downloaded any of the other files in the githubs where would I put them on the SD card? I saw that there is an opensource BIOS for the GBA core already on there and it said you could change it to the Nintendo BIOS but I'm not sure how.

Any help would be great!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Do you have scandoubling turned on?

You could try setting composite_sync=1

It looks to me like your screen is rolling because you don't have proper vsync. Which would make sense if you're only getting hsync through Y.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 28, 2020

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Do you have scandoubling turned on?

You could try setting composite_sync=1

It looks to me like your screen is rolling because you don't have proper vsync. Which would make sense if you're only getting hsync through Y.

I downloaded this ini file from here: http://atari-forum.com/download/file.php?id=41230 and it seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure why. I think I need to get more proficient with all these technical terms.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

40-Degree Day posted:

I downloaded this ini file from here: http://atari-forum.com/download/file.php?id=41230 and it seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure why. I think I need to get more proficient with all these technical terms.

Thanks for sending me the ini's :)

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Zaxxon got released, and it rules:

https://youtu.be/oF8-kjzxjac