Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does the psx core work with .iso?
.bin/.cue, .chd, and .exe are what it prefers but I vaguely remember some people testing .iso in the discord.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Speaking of Tomba 2, do you need to patch for lybcript or whatever when using the core?
I've never quite understood the lybscript interaction but if you let update_all grab the BIOS files (there might need to be none in the folder beforehand? Not sure) it should grab a sbi.zip file that handles lybscript decryption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

i’ve been playing around with the playstation core and it rules. the playstation has such an incredible library and this is just so easy to load up a game onto.

if i wanted to hook up a playstation beatmania controller or a negcon, are there any good usb adapters for that for the average player? or am i going to need to shell out the big bucks for a blisster board/digital IO board?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I just have a dirt cheap ps1 to usb cable off ebay and it works fine.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Spoderman posted:

i’ve been playing around with the playstation core and it rules. the playstation has such an incredible library and this is just so easy to load up a game onto.

if i wanted to hook up a playstation beatmania controller or a negcon, are there any good usb adapters for that for the average player? or am i going to need to shell out the big bucks for a blisster board/digital IO board?

There are plenty of adapters but for something like beatmania you might want to check what the input lag is. I'd imagine for a music game 2-3 frames might be enough to throw you off. There's a compiled list of common controllers and their lag for mister

https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KlRObr3Be4zLch7Zyqg6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit#gid=0

I don't know if there's PSX stuff in there yet, but likely will be soon.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 13, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SNES core (unstable builds) now supports MSU-1 audio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gi5bMRanuo

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Crackbone posted:

There are plenty of adapters but for something like beatmania you might want to check what the input lag is. I'd imagine for a music game 2-3 frames might be enough to throw you off. There's a compiled list of common controllers and their lag for mister

https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KlRObr3Be4zLch7Zyqg6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit#gid=0

I don't know if there's PSX stuff in there yet, but likely will be soon.

thanks! i’ll keep an eye on this for decent psx adapters as time progresses. i’ve got a cheapo one that doesn’t even detect my beatmania controller, much less make it lag.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Saoshyant posted:

That's actually really impressive. Last I heard it was a huge amount of work to implement MSU1 based on how the SNES core(s) work, and none of the devs were interested in putting in the time.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Can they implement save states yet? :-/

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Saoshyant posted:

Welp, there goes the only reason I had to keep my SD2SNES Pro around.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

it doesn't work particularly well does it?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Can they implement save states yet? :-/

Don’t count on it. SNES audio hardware doesn’t work with savestates, and Mister emulates the original hardware. Mister devs have worked some magic before but this one might not be possible.

It’s a starting point on the unstable dev branch, what did you expect?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a save state implementation on the FXPak Pro beta firmware but I don't care much for the implementation.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
To the person asking about air combat, it works great and the widescreen hack works perfectly with it

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Automator posted:

To the person asking about air combat, it works great and the widescreen hack works perfectly with it

Thanks. That was me! I saw it made it onto the compatibility list, finally.

Here's that list again if you'd like to take a peek:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TfB47P0f4Tj4745y4eQbDvn4jEKZpccfkeUZvXZge0M/edit#gid=626332444

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
What’s the current state of CRT/NTSC shaders on mister? I thought it couldn’t handle much more than basic scanlines but I feel like I’ve been seeing people posting some pretty convincing stuff on twitter lately.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bear named tators posted:

What’s the current state of CRT/NTSC shaders on mister? I thought it couldn’t handle much more than basic scanlines but I feel like I’ve been seeing people posting some pretty convincing stuff on twitter lately.

Close to excellent when profiles were implemented. If you haven't updated recently, do so and give them a try!

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah they’re really good and when using my hdtv I almost always have one on. I really like the trinitron preset on my particular tv. It makes a big difference on psx

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The presets are all a little soft/blurry for my taste, but it's super cool that you can adjust each element. The Retrotink shadowmasks (particularly Consumer 2 and Slot) also seem pretty close to my 5x.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Tried to update last night and got some weird errors so I guess I’m doing a clean install. Was update_all replaced or something?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pegnose Pete posted:

Tried to update last night and got some weird errors so I guess I’m doing a clean install. Was update_all replaced or something?

No it's still used, but there was a major change a few months ago that might have affected some installs if you didn't keep your setup relatively up to date.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

it's better today, there was an update pushed last night that seemed to fix up a lot of issues with it. i tested ff6 with the dancing mad patch and it worked for like the first 10 minutes of the game so far

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

If I make changes to downloader.ini to filter out certain cores/cheats/whatever, will update_all use those filters as well, or do I need to modify a separate file?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Uses the same filters

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I had trouble running updater script on my mister so i decided to run MrFusion image on a fresh card, and start from scratch. Updater seems to work fine now but it doesnt seem to download all the "ancilliary" files needed to run some cores. Is that a new change to the script that tries to keep the project out of legal trouble or am I missing something?
The best part of that script was the "run and forget" nature of it.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

I had trouble running updater script on my mister so i decided to run MrFusion image on a fresh card, and start from scratch. Updater seems to work fine now but it doesnt seem to download all the "ancilliary" files needed to run some cores. Is that a new change to the script that tries to keep the project out of legal trouble or am I missing something?
The best part of that script was the "run and forget" nature of it.

the included updater script is different than update_all (https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer) which is the one you want. put that on your sd card, it's the run and forget script.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
If there are any other Mac users (or folks on systems that run zsh), I wrote a quick script to recursively compress BIN/CUE images to CHD:

Zsh code:
#!/bin/zsh

for i in /Volumes/MiSTer/Games/PSX/**/*.cue;
do
	tmpcue="$i:r"
	if [[ ! -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
		echo "Processing: $tmpcue.cue"
		chdman createcd -i "$tmpcue.cue" -o "$tmpcue.chd"
		if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
			if [[ -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
				rm -f "$tmpcue.chd"
			fi
			echo "Error processing: $tmpcue.cue"
			exit 1
		elif [[ ! -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
			echo "Error creating: $tmpcue.chd"
			exit 1
		fi
	else
		echo "Found: $tmpcue.chd"
		echo "Skipping: $tmpcue.cue"
	fi
done;
This assumes that chdman is in your path, and that you have an SD card or network share mounted at /Volumes/MiSTer with all your stuff in it. If there's an error, it'll quit, and it'll also skip existing files that already have a CHD file, to make it faster to start back up after an error.

The one thing I haven't bothered to fix that I know is a problem is that it chokes on filenames with a dollar sign in them, since the shell interprets part of the filename as a variable name. That's rare enough that I just haven't worried about it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s terrific thanks

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I had a bad incident a few months ago where I cracked an SD card putting it into my MiSTer because I'm a klutz and the SD card slot in the case is hard to use. That card contained game saves with hours of progress on them which sucked.

I looked at available solutions to prevent this scenario from happening again. I thought about creating a script to use my desktop FTP client but saw that rclone is included in the scripts folder of MiSTer.

With rclone configured you can upload/download game saves and MiSTer config with premade scripts. Your destination can be just about any online provider or local storage, I am using OneDrive. I feel better having a backup of both and you can run backups either from the scripts menu on the device itself or SSH.

However, rclone was difficult to configure. I found little documentation or forum posts and ran into a couple of issues while trying to set it up.

There is a guide:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts_MiSTer/blob/master/rclone.md

I was able to complete the first part of the configuration without issue which was to download the rclone client on my pc, run a command to create the configuration file, and then copy that to the scripts folder on my MiSTer.

It fell apart when I started to try to use the scripts on the MiSTer. The first issue was an error when running the rclone script, it said I needed to run security_fixes.sh to update the SSL CA certs. But the version of security_fixes.sh on my MiSTer was out of date and said it wasn't compatible with the version of Linux installed. I grabbed a new version from the following link and then was able to update SSL.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Scripts_MiSTer/blob/master/security_fixes.sh

I tried to run rclone again and it failed saying bsdtar was an unknown command. The rclone script tries to download and install rclone if it doesn't already exist on the device. But the script depends on bsdtar which no longer appears to be part of the Linux included with MiSTer.

I found a reference in the rclone scripts to where it downloads rclone for install. https://downloads.rclone.org/rclone-current-linux-arm.zip
I extracted the rclone application to /media/fat/linux

After all this now I was able to successfully run the rclone scripts. They are relatively self-explanatory:
rclone_config_download.sh - Restores MiSTer config from cloud backup.
rclone_config_upload.sh - Backs up MiSTer config to cloud.
rclone_saves_download.sh - Restores MiSTer game saves from cloud backup.
rclone_saves_upload.sh - Backs up MiSTer game saves to cloud.

Now that I have it configured I'm looking at creating additional backup commands to include game save states.

I was able to make it run as a startup job for uploading my game saves when MiSTer starts.

I placed a user-startup.sh file under /media/fat/linux

Contents of file:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
/media/fat/scripts/rclone_saves_upload.sh
echo "***" $1 "***"

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 18, 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mounted saves, savestates, and a few other folders to a NAS with the cifs script which in turn gets backed up a million other places externally.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I need to get around to fixing my CIFS setup so it works read/write, for now my saves go to SD card and the updater script complains every time about not being able to write BIOSes in certain places.

It is really nice though and I strongly recommend using CIFS to anyone who has a NAS or other always-on file server and keeps their MiSTer networked. It's a bit of setup but it's worth the effort to never have to really care about the SD card. I'm still using the one that came with the DE10.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Anybody have a good PSX Dualshock solution for the Mister? I've been using the PSX Digital controller for it and it's been very good, but if I want a Dualshock experience it looks like I'm going to need to find an old refurbished PS1 or PS2 one and an adapter, and there's potential latency in there.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Anybody have a good PSX Dualshock solution for the Mister? I've been using the PSX Digital controller for it and it's been very good, but if I want a Dualshock experience it looks like I'm going to need to find an old refurbished PS1 or PS2 one and an adapter, and there's potential latency in there.

Dualshock 4 works great. YMMV over Bluetooth but it's basically perfect via USB.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there something wrong with the dualsense? I use an 8bitdo Pro+ since it has a similar shape

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Sorry, I want as authentic feeling of a controller as I can. Maybe I'll go with a Dualshock 4 if there's no better solutions, but it's a compromise.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Sorry, I want as authentic feeling of a controller as I can. Maybe I'll go with a Dualshock 4 if there's no better solutions, but it's a compromise.

Dual Shock 3s are hard to come by these days but it might be the best approximation for what you want.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
if you need it to feel super authentic, then there isn't a substitute. the DS4 is pretty close but modern and works great with mister. i've been using a dualsense for a while and it's really good. i was also using them on a real ps1 and they worked great there, too.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Does Blisster work with the Playstation Core?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Funny you should ask about that, since this just showed up on Twitter today: https://twitter.com/gdzjhgq/status/1527298632508051456?s=20&t=wjDouywBxLdVas29Qv8l6A

No word on if this is something that might get sold/open sourced yet that I can see, though.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
that's sick as gently caress, is the rca port for a guncon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I rearranged a steel shelf and gave it casters so I’ve now got a 14” PVM / shielded speaker mister cart. Hadn’t updated in a while so did a fresh install. I was having sync issues where white screens made my pvm freak out, but turning on composite sync and using ext sync on the pvm fixed it up.
Now I’ve got pretty much the whole PS1 library streaming from my NAS. What a time to be alive!

I assumed that update_all would grab the Japanese bios, but I get an ED error when I try to load JP region games. Is there something special you need to do to add more than one bios?