Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I assumed that update_all would grab the Japanese bios, but I get an ED error when I try to load JP region games. Is there something special you need to do to add more than one bios?

The bios getter script will get all psx region bios as boot0, boot1, and boot2 in games/PSX/. So check if that is enabled in the update_all config. If it is, then it may be placing the bios files on your SD card instead of with the games themselves on your NAS. However, I am not a CIFS/NAS user, it sounds like if the bios files are on the SD card then you cannot load games from external sources.

Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Daddys hot grill posted:

The bios getter script will get all psx region bios as boot0, boot1, and boot2 in games/PSX/. So check if that is enabled in the update_all config. If it is, then it may be placing the bios files on your SD card instead of with the games themselves on your NAS. However, I am not a CIFS/NAS user, it sounds like if the bios files are on the SD card then you cannot load games from external sources.

Good luck

Oh I bet that’s what it is! I’ll move the bios files from the SD card to the NAS when I get home tonight. Good call. I had the USA bios on my NAS from when the core was in beta stage.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Should able to play all games with one Bios though. Not sure what's up with that.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Not been a good month for my MiSTer. Something went awry with my SD card, and it seems to have failed pretty bad. Couldn't get updates running, would get all sorts of segfaults and corruption errors. Bit the bullet and formatted the card and did a fresh install, still couldn't get it working. Finally went and bought a new SD card, worked like a charm, all good there. Fine, okay, started setting stuff back up, all good.

Discovered last night my SDRAM module is dead. It had been temperamental for a little bit but now it's failing memtest at any sort of reasonable speed. It's version 2.4 from early 2020 so I suppose it's had a good run as from googling I gather there were some fairly high failure rates around then with poorly manufactured SDRAM. Got a new v2.9 on the way but it's shipping out of Portugal so I imagine that'll be a little while to get to Australia.

I love the MiSTer and I love tinkering with it and tweaking it and got a lot of satisfaction out of putting it together and seeing the way it's evolved over time - can't believe we have a PSX core! - but there are days where I pinch the bridge of my nose and think "I could just grab a ROM and an emulator on my PC..." :v:

What's everyone's favourite non-SDRAM-requiring games at the moment? I'm taking the time so far to explore some Genesis/Mega Drive SHMUPs.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Next time buy from Australia? https://ozmistermods.com/

Lots of hit and miss stories online about Ultimate Mister.

Check out Xenocrisis on the Genesis core. Other favourites are the translated JP version of Contra Hard Corp (I need those extra hits) and Castlevania Bloodlines.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1527421257498492929?t=i5NcHRUOK1596Howq3okzw&s=19

Oh excellent, hopefully mine is part of this batch.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Next time buy from Australia? https://ozmistermods.com/

Lots of hit and miss stories online about Ultimate Mister.

Check out Xenocrisis on the Genesis core. Other favourites are the translated JP version of Contra Hard Corp (I need those extra hits) and Castlevania Bloodlines.

That's weird and frustrating. I specifically was searching for MiSTer retailer stuff and the only hits I was getting off Google were for CAM Inventions which is where I bought this RAM from two years ago and the dude behind it doesn't seem to have updated his storefront since. I wonder if I can cancel the order..

Edit: Of those I don't think I've ever played Xenocrisis, I'll definitely give that shot, thanks!

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 20, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pegnose Pete posted:

I rearranged a steel shelf and gave it casters so I’ve now got a 14” PVM / shielded speaker mister cart. Hadn’t updated in a while so did a fresh install. I was having sync issues where white screens made my pvm freak out, but turning on composite sync and using ext sync on the pvm fixed it up.
Now I’ve got pretty much the whole PS1 library streaming from my NAS. What a time to be alive!

I assumed that update_all would grab the Japanese bios, but I get an ED error when I try to load JP region games. Is there something special you need to do to add more than one bios?

You might have to set the BIOS to use in the core first, been a while since I looked the core's menu. But the update_all for does get the JP region bios.

Edit: Oh, new page. Guess it's been answered already.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Does Blisster work with the Playstation Core?

It works with every core, as long as you don't care about LLAPI stuff (there's no PSX LLAPI core). That's the main reason why I use mine, really. It makes it really having BlissBox ports built into a USB hub in my MiSTer, since I like using original controllers with stuff.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Sorry, I want as authentic feeling of a controller as I can. Maybe I'll go with a Dualshock 4 if there's no better solutions, but it's a compromise.

Be interested in hearing what you end up with. My PS3 controllers have died and would like something similar.

I have a PS4 controller but don't like the sticks, and thinking the 8bitdo would be similar. Is it the concave top I don't like?

I can get way higher scores on Robotron with the PS3 controller despite it supposedly having more latency.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1527737557546582020?s=20&t=vOaMdYtC3rssaLdnTGhymA

Didn’t know the Neogeo Pocket was still being worked on

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw2QfPREu-Q

Can MiSTer with CRT shaders pretty accurately represent a CRT like seen here? I haven't found a great YT video comparing MiSTer to original hardware, just comparing MiSTer to emulators mainly.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
i think it's pretty close. i've been playing some games that really benefit from crt blurriness and mister gets close.

it sucks because mister is super loving great and really makes me feel bad for basically wasting a bunch of money over the past few years

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Disappointing Pie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw2QfPREu-Q

Can MiSTer with CRT shaders pretty accurately represent a CRT like seen here? I haven't found a great YT video comparing MiSTer to original hardware, just comparing MiSTer to emulators mainly.

I was playing mister on my PVM with RBG cables and I got the left dracula. whoops, went too far towards quality.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

The Automator posted:

i think it's pretty close. i've been playing some games that really benefit from crt blurriness and mister gets close.

it sucks because mister is super loving great and really makes me feel bad for basically wasting a bunch of money over the past few years

I agree it’s pretty good and will have to do until if/when I find a small CRT. The filters in mister are a lot easier to use now then they were a few months ago when I tried. There are a handful of presets like Sony PVM and VGA monitor that are easy to select and try out. They take a little bit for yours eyes to adjust to and then they look a lot better. It’s similar to switching your TV from the super bright and high contrast store mode to a cinema mode where the colors are a lot more realistic. At first you think it’s worse but it is more true to form.

I don’t think the filters replace a CRT but it helps the games look closer to how they did back in the day. I would be interested in a goon opinion on how the filters compare to a real CRT.

The genesis core even has a composite blend option which some genesis games really depend on. For example the waterfall in sonic looks realish versus solid lines falling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVbyEUBA8QE

Work is currently being done on adaptive scan lines. You can find betas on the mister discord:
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=4149

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Adaptive scanlines were added to the official releases for most cores a few months ago and they look great. I don’t use them with any added blur and they add a good deal of depth and CRT-ness.

They also added MSU-1 audio and video support to the official SNES release this week and it also works great. I’ve never used MSU-1 hacks before and wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s neat and sort of exciting hearing the better quality soundtracks. Overall quality depends on the hack, but Super Castlevania and Super Mario World were both cool to listen to. I downloaded 15 gigs of hacks off of Archive.org and I would say it was worth it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Adaptive scanlines were added to the official releases for most cores a few months ago and they look great. I don’t use them with any added blur and they add a good deal of depth and CRT-ness.

They also added MSU-1 audio and video support to the official SNES release this week and it also works great. I’ve never used MSU-1 hacks before and wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s neat and sort of exciting hearing the better quality soundtracks. Overall quality depends on the hack, but Super Castlevania and Super Mario World were both cool to listen to. I downloaded 15 gigs of hacks off of Archive.org and I would say it was worth it.

I tried my LTTP MSU1 that I had on my sd2snes and it failed at name creation. Did you run into that?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

If there are any other Mac users (or folks on systems that run zsh), I wrote a quick script to recursively compress BIN/CUE images to CHD:

Zsh code:
#!/bin/zsh

for i in /Volumes/MiSTer/Games/PSX/**/*.cue;
do
	tmpcue="$i:r"
	if [[ ! -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
		echo "Processing: $tmpcue.cue"
		chdman createcd -i "$tmpcue.cue" -o "$tmpcue.chd"
		if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
			if [[ -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
				rm -f "$tmpcue.chd"
			fi
			echo "Error processing: $tmpcue.cue"
			exit 1
		elif [[ ! -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
			echo "Error creating: $tmpcue.chd"
			exit 1
		fi
	else
		echo "Found: $tmpcue.chd"
		echo "Skipping: $tmpcue.cue"
	fi
done;
This assumes that chdman is in your path, and that you have an SD card or network share mounted at /Volumes/MiSTer with all your stuff in it. If there's an error, it'll quit, and it'll also skip existing files that already have a CHD file, to make it faster to start back up after an error.

The one thing I haven't bothered to fix that I know is a problem is that it chokes on filenames with a dollar sign in them, since the shell interprets part of the filename as a variable name. That's rare enough that I just haven't worried about it.

I updated this and put it on GitHub. The new version can also merge directories with different discs for the same game (Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc.) into a single directory, and organize games by region (NTSC-U, NTSC-J, or PAL).

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I tried my LTTP MSU1 that I had on my sd2snes and it failed at name creation. Did you run into that?

I have not, sorry. I know folks on the Discord are recommending the newest Archive upload or the latest files on Zeldix, but I am not sure what is specifically different between the older files and what works with Mister.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I have not, sorry. I know folks on the Discord are recommending the newest Archive upload or the latest files on Zeldix, but I am not sure what is specifically different between the older files and what works with Mister.

Grabbing fresh from Archive seemed to be my easiest route. Thank you!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Jesus, first unstable build of the Saturn core just dropped! There’s a compiled version available on the discord or the (uncompiled) Github is here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nightlies/Main_MiSTer/releases/download/unstable-builds/MiSTer_unstable_20220522_128ef0

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Automator posted:

Yeah, I mean I get the desire for "the real thing" but Mister makes it hard to justify. Two original consoles + flash carts + upscaler is likely more than the cost of a Mister setup. I'll give up a tiny bit of CRT realism for everything else it offers.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How many of yall are running your MiSTer into CRT's or are you just going straight into an HDMI monitor / TV?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I use HDMI exclusively, my CRT only does composite and S-Video and the adapter I bought makes the video looks weird

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I actually run it to both. I have a crt sitting on one side of the living room and an hdtv on the other. Depending on my mood I’ll play on one or the other.

My girlfriend has covid right now so it’s kinda convenient, she can sit across the room and we can play games together. We’ve been playing an msu-1 version of donkey Kong country and the music is pretty good

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

crt mostly. I only use hdmi when I'm doing arcade cores that need a different resolution or need the screen tate'd

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
14” PVM for me. Though I have played around with the mask and scanlines options on HDMI and find them pretty pleasing. Still can’t replace the glow and motion clarity of my CRT though.
I actually really loved how mister looked on my plasma TV, but it’s basically in the storage room now as my daughter is too young and wild for us to use it.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

32 inch vvega trinitron. Analog i/o board doing component out. It’s a thing of beauty.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

If there are any other Mac users (or folks on systems that run zsh), I wrote a quick script to recursively compress BIN/CUE images to CHD:

Zsh code:
#!/bin/zsh

for i in /Volumes/MiSTer/Games/PSX/**/*.cue;
do
	tmpcue="$i:r"
	if [[ ! -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
		echo "Processing: $tmpcue.cue"
		chdman createcd -i "$tmpcue.cue" -o "$tmpcue.chd"
		if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
			if [[ -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
				rm -f "$tmpcue.chd"
			fi
			echo "Error processing: $tmpcue.cue"
			exit 1
		elif [[ ! -f "$tmpcue.chd" ]]; then
			echo "Error creating: $tmpcue.chd"
			exit 1
		fi
	else
		echo "Found: $tmpcue.chd"
		echo "Skipping: $tmpcue.cue"
	fi
done;
This assumes that chdman is in your path, and that you have an SD card or network share mounted at /Volumes/MiSTer with all your stuff in it. If there's an error, it'll quit, and it'll also skip existing files that already have a CHD file, to make it faster to start back up after an error.

The one thing I haven't bothered to fix that I know is a problem is that it chokes on filenames with a dollar sign in them, since the shell interprets part of the filename as a variable name. That's rare enough that I just haven't worried about it.

You can install chdman on mac (assuming you have already installed brew) by running

code:
brew install rom-tools

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
There's a Super Game Boy core out that does SGB & SGB2 and it's pretty amazing. I imagine it'll be part of update_all soon enough, but it's trivial to install, you just need the files at that link plus the SGB BIOS (sgb1.sfc/sgb2.sfc). Tested out a couple of games and it seems to work perfectly, even Space Invaders' 'trick'.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finally a perfect way to play Donkey Kong 94 on the Mister

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My preconfigured MiSTer shipped! :toot:

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
get hype! i have discovered so many cool games via mister that in 20 years of being into emulation i hadn't found

lately my gf and i have been playing puzzle uo poko and it's SUPER fun

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

The Automator posted:

get hype! i have discovered so many cool games via mister that in 20 years of being into emulation i hadn't found

lately my gf and i have been playing puzzle uo poko and it's SUPER fun

I don’t want to mess up this thread with it, but is there another thread that details these hidden gems?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
When I boot up my MiSTer, it takes ages (30-45 seconds) for wifi and Bluetooth to kick in. Is this normal? I don’t remember it taking this long.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Yeah that ain't right. Maybe try a fresh install?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I might try some different dongles if you have some, and/or using a few different ports, and/or maybe reseating the USB bridge if you have a USB hub before I'd go with a fresh install.

E: I will say that I have occasionally seen it take longer to get bluetooth to come up, like it will usually be 25 seconds or so but sometimes it has taken long enough for the menu to time out and disappear. So it can be variable. I've partially avoided it as of late by just never turning the MiSTer off lol.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 27, 2022

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

My preconfigured MiSTer shipped! :toot:

Mine as well, I'm looking forward to booting up the arcade alien vs predator.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward plugging it and going "how the hell do I use this thing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1530450860240535553