Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

yoloer420 posted:

What's with the weird joystick thing hanging off the side of the guncon3? It just looks so awkward there. Is there a variant I can buy without it?

I've only played with the arcade guns, so I'm not really sure what the deal is or if it'll be missing recoil etc.

The guncon 3 was designed for Time Crisis 4 on the PS3 and that ugly wart is part of the design. It was designed for an FPS mode and isn’t used in the arcade. The guncon 3 was IMO a failed peripheral as only 3 games came out for it all by Namco and they all fit on one disc. Compare that to guncon 1 or guncon 2 which had easily a dozen games each. The gun faded into obscurity and was relatively inexpensive until recently when mister enthusiasts began snapping them up play gun games on modern displays.

I have not seen any guncon versions without the left stick it’d probably be a DIY job. It’s not all that bad in gaming although I’d prefer it to not be there. The only two versions I know of are the orange gun released in US/Europe and the much more stylish Japanese gray colored gun. Compare this to guncon 1/2 where many third party guns were made.

The gun has no recoil and I have not seen anyone having modded it to include recoil. I’ve seen people chat about taking the guts of a guncon 3 and putting them in an arcade gun with recoil but that just exists in theory. You can replace the push button trigger with a microswitch kit which improves the trigger feel, a cheap kit is available on eBay for this.

I replaced a small SD card in my mister and used this script to migrate the content. No PC needed.
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=5590

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The 3mb a2 partition is the bootloader AFAIK

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I know this is the MiSTer thread, but is anyone here familiar with the Analogue Pocket? I've had my eye on one for a long time and am considering grabbing one, but before I pull the trigger, I just wanted to be sure-- am I able to just install cores and play roms from the microSD card just like I can on a MiSTer, or is it strictly flashcart stuff only?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah it can run cores and stuff from the SD card, it all feels kinda half baked compared to mister since there are no cheat or display options but everything runs great

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting it to be as robust as the mister by any means. I've been on the fence about this for a long time since I have a Steam Deck, and sure that's got its own appeal, but... you get it.

As the retrogames thread is titled, "I really don't need one but I want it"

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Framboise posted:

I know this is the MiSTer thread, but is anyone here familiar with the Analogue Pocket? I've had my eye on one for a long time and am considering grabbing one, but before I pull the trigger, I just wanted to be sure-- am I able to just install cores and play roms from the microSD card just like I can on a MiSTer, or is it strictly flashcart stuff only?

I've had an Analogue Pocket since launch and I like it a lot, but it is excruciating waiting for custom display modes on the OpenFPGA cores. The screen filters you can use with GB/GBA cartridges look really good.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ll probably pickup an analogue pocket when I don’t have to preorder one. The display looks too nice.

I already have a Steam Deck and Play Date preordered. I’m a portable whore.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Same, I have a switch, a pocket, a vita, a DSi, and a 3DS. You’d think that’d be enough but I still wanna buy a small handheld that does PS1, Saturn, and N64. It never ends

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I just bought a flash cart for my Pocket, because who knows when they'll actually get around to updating it so you can use the filters/display modes with roms. I'll just sell the flash cart for maybe a $10 loss if/when they update it. There's a lot of confusion around which flash carts work with the Pocket since some of them have issues, as long as you buy a new one from SAG or Krikzz and not an old used one you should be good.

Those display modes on the pocket look better than anything I've seen before :stare:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I want to get a GBA everdrive for that reason but I just know that once it arrives a week later display mode support will release and I’ll feel like an idiot!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

katkillad2 posted:

I just bought a flash cart for my Pocket, because who knows when they'll actually get around to updating it so you can use the filters/display modes with roms. I'll just sell the flash cart for maybe a $10 loss if/when they update it. There's a lot of confusion around which flash carts work with the Pocket since some of them have issues, as long as you buy a new one from SAG or Krikzz and not an old used one you should be good.

Those display modes on the pocket look better than anything I've seen before :stare:

Everdrive GBA's seem to be fine and the issue so far is solely with the Everdrive GB. For new revisions it seems to have less issues but can still happen and there is a software side fix built into the firmware for it. I have an older one and it will not work at all unless I swap out 3 SMD ferrite beads on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GosNJKktOzY

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hatty posted:

I want to get a GBA everdrive for that reason but I just know that once it arrives a week later display mode support will release and I’ll feel like an idiot!

But if you don't then no one gets the display mode support! Please be more considerate of others!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Pulled the Analogue trigger. Yay, poor financial choices! :yayclod:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Framboise posted:

It really is!! But on the other hand-

The screen is just so pretty.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Framboise posted:

Welcome, friend.

Chinook posted:

It really is!! But on the other hand-

The screen is just so pretty.

Oh hey, you got it. Did the guy from Brooklyn pan out? :lol:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Welcome, friend.

Oh hey, you got it. Did the guy from Brooklyn pan out? :lol:

Nope! But- your idea about local marketplace did work. Same price you got it for, new in box. Thank you :)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1639322121993179136?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I’ve been waiting a while for Outrun. Cool that it’s out on both Mister and Pocket at the same time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jotego is a powerhouse

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Time for a Magical Sound Shower

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I am still somewhat skeptical CPS3 is gonna happen but I am thrilled he is at least trying.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

https://twitter.com/wickerwaka/status/1640161735918354432?t=Gw71pex0Jjz2cZB0YDs43A&s=19

Best thing about this device is when random stuff just appears like the M29 alpha core. We eating good.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Irem and Taito F3 are gonna be so good.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

https://twitter.com/_atrac17/status/1641563104676052992

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I keep getting "memory card full" errors on the PS1 core in several, but not all games. Sorry for being vague here, but I got no idea what's going on. When I start the core without a game and go into the memory card manager there's one save on the first card and a bunch on the second.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Are all your cd images in the same folder? If you split them to each game in its own folder, it should make a card for each game

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

oh, that's probably what's doing it. I just dumped them all in the root folder since they are .CHD files.

I guess I need to create a whole lot of folders.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER
Here's a batch file that will put every file in a directory into a folder with the same name as the filename:

code:
@echo off
for %%a in (*.*) do (
md "%%~na" 2>nul
move "%%a" "%%~na"
)
pause

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

43% Burnt posted:

Here's a batch file that will put every file in a directory into a folder with the same name as the filename:

code:
@echo off
for %%a in (*.*) do (
md "%%~na" 2>nul
move "%%a" "%%~na"
)
pause

oh hey, this worked!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Don’t expect anything for a very long time. However, this is promising.

https://twitter.com/azumfpg/status/1646452662676619264?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bone emulator posted:

oh hey, this worked!

Note that, from here, you'll probably want to futz with the games where you actually do want them to share memory cards. Most obviously, any multi-disc game should have all the .chd files in a single folder, e.g. a "Final Fantasy VII (USA)" folder that contains "Final Fantasy VII (USA) Disc 1.chd", disc 2.chd etc. That way regardless of what disc you're on they'll all access the same memory card.

Depending on how ambitious you want to get with this, you might also want to pool certain games, especially from Konami and SquareSoft, that do inter-game things like MGS' Psycho Mantis memory card reading.

I think this is the complete list of relevant inter-game save shenanigans, including some that are Japan-only (Snatcher and Policenauts for the Japanese version of MGS). I personally created a "Konami (USA)" folder that exclusively has the relevant games for this purpose, and did the same with a "SquareSoft (USA)" folder for the Legend of Mana stuff, an "Arc the Lad Series (USA)" folder for those games, etc.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I bought an Everdrive 64 some months ago because my MiSTer would never, ever, be able to run N64.

What a wild time to be alive.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I’ve been looking at n64s. I started looking at Saturns right before the Saturn core was announced, and I started looking (and bought) a ps1 right before it was released.

What would you guys like me to think about buying?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The Automator posted:

I’ve been looking at n64s. I started looking at Saturns right before the Saturn core was announced, and I started looking (and bought) a ps1 right before it was released.

i’ve really been hoping you’d buy a 3DO lately

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Automator posted:

Jaguar CD is looking pretty keen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don’t expect anything for a very long time. However, this is promising.

https://twitter.com/azumfpg/status/1646452662676619264?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

So this is still an emulator. Does this person know something everyone else doesn't? Everyone has been saying that the cyclone5 doesn't have enough cells to run an N64.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
Isn't there another project that is trying to make it so it will be easier to port the mister cores to another fpga board?

Maybe they are just working on it because of that

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

So this is still an emulator. Does this person know something everyone else doesn't? Everyone has been saying that the cyclone5 doesn't have enough cells to run an N64.

It doesn't. Not without some shortcuts, anyway. This is probably not going to be a 100% reproduction of the N64, but it might end up being enough to play the full commercial library, depending on what's needed.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

This is the guy that programmed the PSX core. According to him on discord:

quote:

my current goal is: 32bit games like Mario64/OoT, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, ... to have as accurate as the PSX core. Everything else should as least run as good as the current best emulators. If i can reach that, i'm happy

Not sure what sort of special sauce he’s planning, but getting accurate emulation of those 1st party games would be great.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want the N64 Bomberman games and Mischief makers. If he can get those working I’ll give him $200 and a signed personal letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Did Jotego take the 5x vertical crop out of his arcade cores? I fired it up today for the first time in a few months and the option seems to have vanished out of the menus. Or, did I hallucinate them being there to begin with?