Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What’s the performance/accuracy of the SNES and Genesis cores like compared to Analogue’s products?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got my hands on a DE-10 nano last week and 128MB SDRAM just before the weekend.

I'd been contemplating purchasing an Analogue Super NT for ages, the Super Nintendo is one of my favourite systems of all time - it was my first console, I still have my original SNES sitting in a box in my spare room along with the games I had as a kid. I was working a night shift, so I set up the SD card, took it with me so I could hook it up to my monitor on break and get some sweet sweet gaming in. Except that I couldn't, because a bug in the most recent core at the time means that your input mapping won't save as it isn't creating the config/inputs.ini file and folder properly; I wouldn't learn this for a day or two though.

Really this was presaging the tinkering I was going to have to do to get this thing up and running - every problem I solved seemed to generate a new one. Okay, awesome, I've solved my input mapping woes; why can't I get any HDMI display? Okay, I've got through the ini settings and tried to tailor things to my display and...mm, nope, still happening? Did I download a corrupt rom? Oh, wait, no, cool, the Genesis core is working. Wait, now it isn't, but the Arcade ones still are. Now nothing works? Wait, poo poo, hang on...

And on and on. My SDRAM wasn't inserted properly and was wigging everything out giving me many and varied weird effects that were resolved by me unseating and reseating it properly

It may sound like I begrudge this process. While I definitely had a few grumbling thoughts of "if I'd bought the Super NT I'd be up and running by now", I actually love the feel of slowly tinkering and personalising the MiSTer. Someone upthread compared it to the early days of MAME and I definitely notice the resemblance.

Well, it's up and running now and already I'm planning out ways I want to organise my ROM collection and what other cores I want to explore to catch up on retro gaming I never really had access to as a kid (Sega CD here I come!).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

hatty posted:

Digital I/O stays winning :smug:

Yeah if that turns out to be the case I'll be very glad I went with the digital board as I went back and forth on it quite a bit.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hell of a lot more green in that list than I was expecting.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Not been a good month for my MiSTer. Something went awry with my SD card, and it seems to have failed pretty bad. Couldn't get updates running, would get all sorts of segfaults and corruption errors. Bit the bullet and formatted the card and did a fresh install, still couldn't get it working. Finally went and bought a new SD card, worked like a charm, all good there. Fine, okay, started setting stuff back up, all good.

Discovered last night my SDRAM module is dead. It had been temperamental for a little bit but now it's failing memtest at any sort of reasonable speed. It's version 2.4 from early 2020 so I suppose it's had a good run as from googling I gather there were some fairly high failure rates around then with poorly manufactured SDRAM. Got a new v2.9 on the way but it's shipping out of Portugal so I imagine that'll be a little while to get to Australia.

I love the MiSTer and I love tinkering with it and tweaking it and got a lot of satisfaction out of putting it together and seeing the way it's evolved over time - can't believe we have a PSX core! - but there are days where I pinch the bridge of my nose and think "I could just grab a ROM and an emulator on my PC..." :v:

What's everyone's favourite non-SDRAM-requiring games at the moment? I'm taking the time so far to explore some Genesis/Mega Drive SHMUPs.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Next time buy from Australia? https://ozmistermods.com/

Lots of hit and miss stories online about Ultimate Mister.

Check out Xenocrisis on the Genesis core. Other favourites are the translated JP version of Contra Hard Corp (I need those extra hits) and Castlevania Bloodlines.

That's weird and frustrating. I specifically was searching for MiSTer retailer stuff and the only hits I was getting off Google were for CAM Inventions which is where I bought this RAM from two years ago and the dude behind it doesn't seem to have updated his storefront since. I wonder if I can cancel the order..

Edit: Of those I don't think I've ever played Xenocrisis, I'll definitely give that shot, thanks!

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 20, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

code:
Should I get a mister? ----------> Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Spaz Medicine posted:

Hell yeah, I definitely don't need to buy another game controller but I will anyway.

Right there with you.