Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve been keeping mine in an iPhone box that I drilled holes in until I can get a proper case made. My library wouldn’t let me use their 3D printer for non educational purposes so I’ll just have to wait I guess.

The OP has been very informative, and I can’t wait to see what advancements await in 2020!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
32mb is fine unless you want to get into NeoGeo where you might need up to 100MB. Also some of the fatter GBA games might not work because they need 33.5MB.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve been using the 8bitdo M30 for 90% of the cores and then switch to a DualShock 4 if an analog stick is needed. I have a new appreciation for the Sega Dpad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a 400GB and it fits everything nicely, even the full libraries of the two CD based cores.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just use the handy “update all” script and it gives me everything I’m missing. All my CPS1 games work fine

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a set of these and it does its job of making the Mister look a bit more pronounced on my desk and it keeps it from sliding everywhere.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What do they mean “while you can” :ohdear:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I ordered one of those fancy new aluminum cases from misteraddons if anyone wants impressions when it gets here. I'm curious about the passive cooling

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How long did that take to show up? Interested since I still have my childhood CRT hooked up and would like to retire some of my consoles.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Got my misteraddons aluminum case in today. Was easier to put together than I was lead to believe. Though I think I did mess up somewhere as the aluminum buttons were a bit too short to hit the corresponding switches on the io board. This was easily fixed by putting some little rubber feet on the bottom of the buttons so no heartache today. Impressed by the fit and finish, it feels solid and maybe it’s now safe to put in a bag and travel with it. One complaint is that the buttons aren’t attached to anything so you flip the mister over they’ll drop right out, I’ll have to pick up a bag of tiny rubber bands to wrap around each so they don’t get lost if I travel. Will be interested to see how the passive cooling does.

Not really much to say other than it looks nice I’m happy with it even if it was a bit expensive.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Well I guess I should’ve finished watching the instruction video instead of turning it off halfway through. :pseudo:.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought a Saturn core was almost impossible

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/sentientsixp/st...s1_c10&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/...s1_c10&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/...s1_c10&ref_url=

:bignews:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Want if we find a way to duct tape two de10 nanos together :pseudo:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I use an 8bitdo M30 wired for anything that doesn’t require a stick like Food Fight. Felt weird at first using a sega style controller for snes games but I quickly got over it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Extended integer scaling options are being added to some cores so interpolation isn’t really necessary if you want to eliminate shimmering and don’t feel like doing custom ini stuff. It slightly squeezes or stretches the picture but all the pixels are the same size and it looks real sharp so that’s a good option if you hate the fuzz.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you stay away from CD based systems yeah that could work

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s not really hard to build it’s like making a sandwich really

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Less of a jump than I thought it’d be, was expecting $200 or so. Wonder if it’ll increase more in the future and if it’s worth it to keep a spare around.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Of course the 5th generation system I chose to buy a MODE for is the first to get a Core. Maybe if I spend $200 on a PS1 ODE that core will develop faster. Anyway I’m astonished how fast this dev works

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A case isn't that necessary, its a nice-to-have at most. I used a set of these for about a year and it did its job

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
N64 may never happen so that’s safe to buy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I only got the IO board recently for aesthetic purposes. You only really need the DE-10, SDRAM, a micro usb HUB, a small heat sink and fan.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like mine, it makes my mister look professional

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can you put it in a carryon or is it too bomblike?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does that monitor have VRR? I recently connected mine to my 1080p 75hz display for Wonderswan games and I’ve noticed how smooth everything else is when I turn adaptive sync and turn on low lag in the Vsync options. It’s hard to go back to anything else but I don’t care much for this 5X scale mode and would like to get a better monitor

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think mister itself supports VRR but some VRR monitors have an adaptive sync option that’ll adjust the refresh rate to match what you’re trying to output. Its not as seamless as real VRR implementation but it runs stuff like Dondonpachi and Wonderswan at their native refresh rate very smoothly

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A friend asked me to build them a Mister and almost predictably decided they didn't want it after I ordered two parts. SO if anyone has a need for a digital IO board or a stick of 128MB SDRAM at bargain prices come on down to SA MART!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe a beta core by March after all

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s really not hard to build one yourself though. Just get the DE10, the SDRAM, an OTG USB hub, and a heatsink. mash it all together and you’re good to go.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Saoshyant posted:

Seems like the PS1 core may require two SDRAM units. That would basically require the removal of the I/O card.

Though on another forum, someone pointed out that the people behind the new "consolized" Mister are saying you could slot an extra card with their board, but I haven't found that statement yet.

Digital I/O stays winning :smug:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

George RR Fartin posted:

Dumb question: why couldn't they just....make a 256 meg RAM module to accomodate this? Is it a matter of needing two busses to send dedicated data through individually? Is the existing SDRAM module at max capacity?

I don’t think the problem is capacity so much as The timing difference between dual channel and single, I’m not expert though

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hook it up to just a normal VRR 1440p monitor and it looks fine, no shimmering or stutters which is what I’m sensitive to. Most monitors have pretty good game modes these days and I honestly can’t tell the difference between the lag of a LCD and a CRT.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You put the second RAM where the analog IO board goes. So the core is only compatible with the digital IO board since it leaves that slot free.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think the core relies on the benefits of dual channel memory usage and not just plain size, I could be wrong though I’m pretty dumb

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
playing a FPGA PS1 core for one lmao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I used to not notice how muffled the SNES chip was until all of you Segaheads started writing articles and making comparison videos now it’s all I can hear :argh:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh neat, Mister has made me a scanline believer so excited to give shadowmasks a try

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Interesting, wonder which core the community will lean towards. I have more faith in Laxer3A myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has anyone had any heat issues with the Misteraddons aluminum case? While I was playing Bonks Revenge a few weeks ago the video cut out intermittently and I noticed the case was really hot. I put it back in my old air cooled setup and it’s been fine so I assume the chip got too hot and the passive cooling wasn’t enough?