Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

You wake up slowly, your body assessing last night's alcohol-induced damage. Thankfully, you feel like you slept through the worst of the hangover. You look across at your alarm clock- oh piss! You forgot to set it. That explains the late start. You quickly get showered and dressed, opening your room's curtains to the perma-night of the North Pole in winter. Another shock as you open the door on your advent calendar and realise the date. December 24th.

Christmas Eve.

And this year it's your turn to ready the Sleigh and the Big Man for the annual gift-giving extravaganza.

You rush downstairs to the Sleigh Room. The Workshop Complex is eerily quiet, most of the elves having clocked off last night and already travelling home to their families. Only a skeleton crew remains, those necessary to the operation's smooth rollout.

When you get to the Sleigh Room you find it's a mess, the state of the Big Man's carriage resembling the state of your head. You get a sudden flash of memory from last night, the joyride you and a few drunk others went on through the snow and ice. The feel of the ropes burning your hands as you pulled the Sleigh through another drift. You mutter curses to your past self as you inspect the damage, and list what needs to be done.

-Clean sleigh exterior
-Clean sleigh interior
-Repair runners
-Fix/Adjust reins
-Check on reindeer
-Update Nice/Naughty list with latest from Shelf Elves
-Load up Sleigh for journey
--Presents (Heavy!!)
--Coal for the naughty children
--Coffee
--Stew
--Pee bottles (Big Man can't use people's toilets, children would hear the flush and spot him!)
--Whip???

As you write, you hear a low sound of snoring coming from down the hall, the Big Man's private quarters. Sounds like he's fast asleep, for the moment. You step into the office, just off the main Sleigh Room, grab another sheet of paper and compile a second list.

-Wake up Big Man two hours before Jingle O'Clock
-Shower, other morning bathroom things
-Coffee
-Breakfast
-Check Nice/Naughty List
-Double-check Nice/Naughty List
-Dress

You look at the two lists in front of you, and sigh. There's a lot to get done and- The office clock chimes the hour. There's four hours left to get everything ready for Christmas. Looks like you'll have to Do It YoursElf!

-----

Welcome to Do It You Elf! A Christmassy CYOA about being an elf, getting the Sleigh and the Big Man (there's a superstition against saying the S**** C**** name before He's ready.) prepared for the Big Day. You have four hours, i.e. 24 10-minute increments.

For every post, please post what you'd like our character to spend the next 10 minutes doing, as well as your guess as to what's behind tomorrow's Advent Calendar door. The correct guess will have their choice of action happen. If there are no correct guesses, I'll pick an action at random, and something bad might happen. If more than one person guesses the same calendar item, things get too complicated so I might just ignore the second post.

Also, for this first post, our elf friend needs a name! Please suggest a name, simple majority wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Glorfindarelion the Ancient is our cheery Big Man's Little Helper.

Double-Check Nice/Naughty list.

It's a cracker.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

We're Krampus and out to sabotage the Big Man committed to seeing this through

We should start at the top of the list and clean the sleigh exterior

it's a Christmas tree

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Gabrielf
Load coal
Piece of chocolate in the shape of a manger. On the back of the window is printed bible verse John 11:35

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Krampus
Most important is getting things working.
Repair the runners.
Bells

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 1, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Glorificus, Sinfinder Second Class
Load Coal
A birb

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Jingleterry here, he's ready to kick rear end and take names onto the list from the shelf elves.

Angel figure

Slaan fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 1, 2019

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Name: Jingleterry

Duty: Roll Load Coal

Prize: Something shaped like a horn.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 1, 2019

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Name: Jingleterry

Duty: Load Coal

Prize: Gingerbread

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Glorfindarelion the Ancient is perfect, and I think we should Check on the Reindeer. Also, is there chocolate?

Other question; are other names or titles - like Kris Kringle, St. Nick, the Yulefather, etc - similarly taboo or just plain annoying?

Also are we on loan from Alfheim?

Also also, Should we worry about the Missus?

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 1, 2019

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Other question; are other names or titles - like Kris Kringle, St. Nick, the Yulefather, etc - similarly taboo or just plain annoying?

Also are we on loan from Alfheim?

Also also, Should we worry about the Missus?

Not as taboo, but rarely used. I just like the idea of him being the Big Man to all the elves.

Alfheim? *googles* Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with Norse mythology, so no.

Mrs. C? Currently fast asleep next to the Big Man.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Dingleberry

Get the reindeer ready (give them their yearly 'flying high' edibles)

Christmas tree ornament

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Outrail posted:

Dingleberry

Get the reindeer ready (give them their yearly 'flying high' edibles)

This, but the advent calendar is filled with our vomit instead

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Gus
Load Coal
A Snowman!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Jingleterry
Clean sleigh interior
A bear

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

The picture is of reindeer! No correct guesses! (Seriously, you goons, vomit???)
Random task selection: 1d12 12 Dog Kisser's Load Coal action performed!

"Okay, Jingleterry, you got this," you mutter to yourself. "Start with the simple tasks first, yeah?"

You grab the handful of coal scuttles from under the sleigh's seat, take them to the office fireplace, fill them with the coal stored there, and put them back. Thankfully the children of today aren't nearly as naughty as they could be, so not much coal is required. You tick the item off your list with a small smile.

3 hours 50 minutes remain.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Task: Clean sleigh exterior
Appearences matter.

Calendar: A snowflake

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Clean sleigh interior

Jingleterry loves himself some chestnuts roasting on open fires

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Repair the runners.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Update The N/N List.
A snowman!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Coffee (and 'Nog!)

An evergreen tree!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Clean sleigh exterior
A birb

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Prepare cocoa and coffee, and everything in between... Wait... shouldn't this be last minute?

Uhhh... Check in with the Shelf Elves.

And... a candied mint leaf?... A witch ball?

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 1, 2019

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Just FYI to everyone playing there's no candy in this thing - just illustrated images and glitter on card stock.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Any hard drinking elf has had to vomit into an advent calendar several times in their life :colbert:

Repair the Runners

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

It's a cracker.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Eat the naughty/nice list

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Change the naughty/nice list at random
Snowman!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Christmas tree ornament

Make Santa's stew (add laxative, the workers' uprising begins Tonight! Down with the fat man!).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 3, 2019

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

The picture is of a present! No correct guesses! (You may whine that your guess is what's inside the present; I will ignore you.)
Current streak of incorrect guesses: 2
Roll to avoid bad thing happening (get above streak number of a d24): Avoid bad thing: 1d24 22 Bad thing avoided.
Removing super sweet best pal's repeat of HiHoChiRho's guess of Nothing and Dog Kisser's repeat of Scribbleykins's guess of a Snowman.
Random task selection: 1d9 7 AnAnonymousIdiot's Check In with the Shelf Elves action performed!

You head on over to the computer. The Elves on various Shelves across the globe have reported in the final updates from the children. You break down the actions, the improvements in behaviour and the terrible tantrums, those leaving cookies and those leaving traps, the births and, sadly, the deaths, and update the master list with your best guess as to where each child ends up on the Naughty-Nice scale. It's difficult work, but over the years various elves have got it down to a fine science. Besides, the Big Man will be checking and double-checking it before he heads out. Right?

3 hours 40 minutes remain.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Repair the runners.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

It's a cracker.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Make Stew.
A Birb.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Make Coffee-'Nog

A sled or sleigh or other snowy conveyance

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Check on reindeer

a candy cane

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Clean the Interior

It's a snowflake

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Clean the interior.
A snowman, still!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Repair the runners

It's a wreath

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Outrail posted:

Christmas tree ornament

Make Santa's stew (add laxative, the workers' uprising begins Tonight! Down with the fat man!).

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Sticking with this.

Dog Kisser posted:

Change the naughty/nice list at random to make sure that the Big Man is ACTUALLY checking it twice.
Snowman!