Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

"Pampered kids?" The gently caress are you on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

lol if you think the people who write wapo columns are anything but upper-middle classes

I'm assuming that wasn't a dig at Mr Rogers then? That's how I read it the first time.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

No, not at all. The Monte Verde site in Chile has hearths, wooden posts, and human footprints. Best estimates using carbon isotope place the date at about 15ka, so actually just a bit older than the oldest material markers in North America.

The multiple pathways thing absolutely had been regarded as tinfoil in the past, but that was a product of how eurocentric and dogmatic the academic communities studying these questions were, even in the face of mounting evidence from colleagues in the far south of the Americas. Good reading on that topic in particular can be found in Red Earth, White Lies by Vine Deloria, Jr.

I'd qualify that, as Deloria has some extremely hoary ideas about Natives not having migrated here "because their mythology says they didn't."

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

How could the charisma vacuum that is Jeremy Corbyn have possibly lost? We may never know.

The fact that there are people who are confused by this projected loss is astonishing, frankly. John Kerry's 2004 campaign was more relatable than that guy. Willful ignorance is all I can figure.

(Disclaimer: this does not make me a Tory supporter...which would make no sense because I live in loving Ohio.)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So Matt Bevin, noted dingbat lameduck governor of Kentucky, has been issuing some pardons. And, hoo boy, has he picked some real doozies:

quote:

Bevin pardons include convicted killer whose brother hosted campaign fundraiser for him

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/11/bevin-issued-hundreds-pardons-and-commutations-final-day/4399770002/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Who'd be their monarch?

Frankie Boyle, Billy Connolly, take your pick