Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
If Buttigieg is a Rhodes Scholar and doesn't have a masters degree then what the hell was the point of getting a Rhodes Scholarship other than denying it to someone who'd use it simply so they can make it a line on their resume?

Edit: Apparently he used it to get a second BA. What the unholy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Abongination posted:

I just realised I got probated in this thread for using the word oval office when talking about some knife wielding terrorist.

Censoring the word oval office is racist against Australians.

I will never apologize for being racist against upside-down people.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

There's an entire thread for this kind of thing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Better not discuss national headlines up in here

gently caress off with that bullshit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

I get the impression they're much closer than one would think

Peace in the Middle East hinges on a successful docking maneuver.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Hooray! The SBP-DIC offset is going to be in the final NDAA!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-07/military-spouses-gov-t-workers-see-wins-in-738b-defense-bill

quote:

The repeal of the widow’s tax would be phased in over three years, according to two people familiar with the decision who asked not to be named because legislation isn’t yet public.

Oh come the gently caress ON.

They couldn't resist one last loving over on the way out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

It probably actually says something like phased in over the next three full budgets.

So it'll be 15 years.

loving monkey paw.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Politico reporting that the 2020 NDAA addresses the Feres Doctrine.

quote:

Smith seemed to indicate that Democrats scored wins on ending the Widow's Tax and rolling back the decades-old legal precedent that bars troops from suing for medical malpractice.

"We were able to get paid parental leave, take care of the widows, deal with the Feres Doctrine,” Smith said. “There's a lot of stuff we did that I frankly thought would've been difficult in this environment."

The House version of the bill included provisions to end the Widow's Tax and roll back the Feres Doctrine. But pressed for details, Smith wouldn't specify how exactly the issues shook out, saying of the bill, "We got a lot. We didn't get it all."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So some solid news on how the 2020 NDAA is rolling out its graduated repeal of the SBP-DIC offset.

quote:

In the annual defense bill, lawmakers inserted a three-year phase-out of the offset. Starting Jan. 1, 2021, families affected by it will receive one-third of their full SBP payout. A year later, that will rise to two-thirds. In 2023, it grows to the full SBP amount.

Well, that's not terrible. Definitely not the "increased by 1/36th per month over 36 months" thing I came up with. Finally, I can breathe easier and actually be able to afford to do things agai... wait.

quote:

Starting Jan. 1, 2021

What.

quote:

Starting Jan. 1, 2021

Oh, those motherfuckers

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wtf happened in FYAD? I just saw the forums announcement.

FYAD is currently closed, its mod de-modded and permabanned, its IKs stripped of their buttons, and a bunch of their posters banned+30'd for a string of incredibly terrible posts of the "kill all transgendered people" flavor (though with 100% more slurs).

QCS is going nuts and because this is happening at a time when the admins are largely away from the internet, the lack of immediate action is being viewed as tacit approval of FYAD instead of, y'know, the fact that running SA isn't a paying gig.

The announcement was made to reassure people that, yes, things are happening.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Yes, please engage in cop chat on the worst day of the year for me. That's exactly what I'd like to have happen, and I'm certain my reaction is going to be calm and measured.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Are you loving idiots too stupid to understand a warning when I post one? Jesus loving Christ, how do you manage to remember breathe while you're focusing on hitting the keys on your keyboard?

SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT COPS IN THE CE THREAD

HOW IS THIS loving HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

BECAUSE COPS ARE KILLING US CIVILIANS YOU STUPID MOTHER FUCKER

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

And I'm sorry my moderating a subforum for broke-brained crybabies on a dying comedy forum is ensuring this continues unabated, I guess.

Jesus Christ, did I have to spell out why today is the worst day of the year for me? Or did you decide to gently caress with me on this specifically because?

Either way, gently caress it. gently caress this, gently caress you.

Copchat is bannable in CE. Congrats on pushing me over the edge on that, I guess.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
shut up, cole

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

I will do my best to be intentionally disrespectful to you in the future. Just gotta find a harsh button I could push....

Hmm....

No, seriously. Your point about not modding today had merit and would have been fine if you'd made it before my gentle warning to stop breaking pretty much the only rule we have in GIP was ignored and Pook rolled in at an 11. But that's not when you made it. You made it after the warning was ignored twice.

Did I fly off the handle? Yes. Was it unwarranted? Yes.

But push that harsh button and see what happens.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

I don’t want to. I’m not that big of an rear end in a top hat.

But you are.

No, you are. Why else would you have brought it up in the first place?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

Because of you intentionally doing something you even probated someone for doing after I asked people to stop.

You know why you did that. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Look, you're right on that. I shouldn't have said it and I'm sorry.

C'mon, man. I'm trying to cool down here and I know you're not an rear end in a top hat and I shouldn't have said so. Let's just take a breath. I'm absolutely not in a great place right now and we can all see it's getting to me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Going forward, police related violence news stories is allowable in the CE thread. It absolutely is current events and not allowing the posts in the thread is tantamount to pretending it isn't happening.

That being said, please keep the discussions surrounding those stories civil. If you want to use them as a springboard to talk about policing in the United States, use the copchat thread. Updates to the story, including any possible charges on involved officers (lol) is, however, allowable. That discussion on these stories will get heated and contentious is inevitable, but I think we can deal with it.

The absolute ban was doing nobody any favors and the critics are right, ignoring the issue can be viewed as, rightly so, ignoring or even silently approving of it.

To be honest, I was actually moving this direction anyway but I caught a case of sadbrokebrain today and then... well, poo poo went sideways.

Cole, I am sorry I pushed your buttons.

Pook, sometimes the merits of your arguments are outshone by the manner you make them but that doesn't change the fact that you were right here.

TwoFing... just... really?

UtBNB, keep being you, buddy.

The meltdown over the last couple days involving FYAD has made me realize that modding GIP is modding on easy mode. Thanks for not being a contentious group of chucklefucks.

Except when you are, but even then it's not so bad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The goons who want GIP deleted assume that we're chud vets. They've never actually been in here, at least not since we had that unfortunate bout of "ironic" usernames.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bird food bathtub posted:

The FYAD poo poo has been going on for days? This is the first I'm hearing about it. I'm definitely one that never "got" FYAD and from what I'm seeing in QCS I'm totally OK with that.

Yeah, the shitstorm started yesterday. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about it because I'm not supposed to leak poo poo from the mod forums, but the tl;dr version is that FYAD finally stepped on their own dicks and now the reckoning has come.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

perma ban everyone with a negative post count, its the only way to be sure

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

https://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-deliberately-blew-up-the-world-s-largest-rocket-fuel-tank-to-test-its-limits/

The tank took 260% off expected stress before they detected any deformation. Were other launch systems using hydrogen as a fuel?

Every manned US launch system since the Saturn V.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I picked a great time to start applying for grad school in Scotland.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Ataxerxes posted:

Come to Finland if that falls through, we have better houses and an actual winter.

Studying the American Civil War in Finland is probably a non-starter.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Casimir Radon posted:

Burnedy downdy Atlanta BORK BORK BORK!!

Doesn't seem that hard to me.

That's Sweden.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I can tolerate upside-down person racism, but I cannot tolerate transparent-top-of-the-world-dweller racism.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

yeah but you can pass as opaque

ftfy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

... So you're going to study it in Scotland instead?

The ACW had a measurable impact on the United Kingdom, to include the disruption of the British textile industry and the direct results of that, the impact massive arms purchases from both US and CS governments had on the British arms industry, and the political impacts of support for the Confederacy from within the British government.

The new hotness in Civil War studies is studying the international aspects of the war and it is, in my opinion, probably the last major area that hasn't been completely tapped out over the last 150 years.

The school in Scotland I'm looking at not only offers an American History masters program, but their senior lecturer for the program is an ACW historian.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Edinburgh.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

i lust for old people death and I don't give a gently caress what their individual politics are they as a whole have failed the entire loving planet

Missed this earlier.

Yeah, maybe lusting for death isn't really how you should be phrasing this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

I just hate when people pretend that history is only a European subject. There are so many cool empires and cultures that dont involve white people and it's a real tragedy when people get narrow minded about it and fixate on a linear history that starts with Romulus and ends with America.

I yearn for a history that starts with shut and ends with the gently caress up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Some highlights:

quote:

For instance, Ochshorn wrote that the elevators are too small to fit a stretcher and noted potential fire-safety hazards, especially given the vertical design of the library. He specifically criticized the “vertical openings in bookstack floors” and that the “smoke control system does not protect building occupants.”

Nomura also pointed out that there are shoe issues with the floors, which are grated. People wearing high heeled shoes will not be able to walk in the stacks without catching their heels in the holes. And in the winter, people will likely track in snow and slush that could melt and drip through the floors.

Hana Gabrielle “HG” Bidon ’21 said the library is “overwhelming” and an auditory “sensory overload” for her. Ji agreed, finding the library “too loud,” with carts rolling over the metal floors, which don’t dampen any sound.

“Why didn’t they take that into consideration?” Bidon said. “[The library] is not welcoming at all.”

Bidon said she heard from friends that people with mobility or visual aids will not be able to experience the library as easily as others, because the grated floor would not be conducive to canes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

It would probably lose him votes.

Is he doing the thing everyone thought Trump was doing where he’s trying to tank his own campaign because he doesn’t actually want to win?

Because goddamn does he loving suck.

Maybe he figures "if it worked for Trump it can work for me!"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stultus Maximus posted:

A nuclear armed nation with a bigger military than the next seven combined is going to choose between two obviously senile old men next year. JFC. Racism, xenophobia, and ignorance are a hell of a thing.

Surely you mean expenditures and not size.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao the left youth hate mayo pete more than anyone else alive, they all grew up with one of those tryhard psychos or used to be one

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah bootybutts sacrificed himself to the lanyard class and now everyone under 60 hates him

For Biden 60-65 year olds are the youth group he's trying to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fox affiliates are not the same as Fox News