Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Ah yes, the classic method of quantifying intelligence: democracy popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Defenestrategy posted:

I think it was more which candidate appears the most intelligent.

Which is a stupid rear end question, because all of them could appear as equally intelligent if they applied Rick Parry Smart Guy Glasses (tm)

That was the question, but if I ask you which person is smarter, this guy you like, these three guys you agree with, or these eight strangers, I suspect it will be very difficult to tease the answer to the asked question apart of the implicit question of, "which of these names are familiar to you".

If you look at the rest of the data, the top 4 from the smartest are the top 4 for honest are the top 4 for cares the most about people like you, are the top 4 for best leader, are the top 4 for 'if the vote was today, for whom would you vote'.

I'm not convinced that what you can infer from the question matches the question itself. I think we're in agreement, based on the second half of your post.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think it's also so people know where the ambassador's assistant, CIA station chief, and SECDEF office front desk attendant are supposed to be seated at a fancy dinner.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

There's a serious issue with people capturing rain runoff (from gutters/roofs for instance), collecting all of it in rainbarrels. If enough people do that, the underwater aquafers don't get replenished, so cities are outright banning homeowners from collecting the rain runoff. Idiot homeowners are buttmad about it, failing to see that it's another collective action problem.

Chances are, Donnie Brainstem saw an anti-government ad on Fox, or some rich gently caress talked his ear off about it. Then it went into his goodbrain as one thing, came out another, now suddenly there isn't enough pressure in the water system, everyone has been complaining about that and Obama never fixed it.

Wait, seriously? I have a hard time believing personal rain collection systems on non-industrial/commercial scale can really be sufficiently high to affect aquifers. Even if residential land turned half their acreage in urban areas to rain collection it still wouldn't come close to matching the non residential coverage. I assume most residential rain collection systems would be much less than half of residential land outside the urban centers.

I had assumed the restrictions are public health related, with water leeching chemicals from building materials and the ground being a health concern and standing water as a reservoir for mosquitos and other parasites.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a long article from 2015 about the whole thing, which basically contradicts what I said earlier: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/03/24/it-is-actually-illegal-in-colorado-to-collect-the-rain-that-falls-on-your-home/

Here's one from 2016 about Colorado, where this poo poo was really regulated heavy: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/03/24/it-is-actually-illegal-in-colorado-to-collect-the-rain-that-falls-on-your-home/

So it's a bit more complicated than how I made it sound. Aquifer replenishment is a part of it, but a lot of it goes back to old water claims by farmers and who has the right to use water that eventually makes it to streams/rivers. There seem to be more and more studies that the aquifer argument is bullshit, so states are slowly flipping to allow rain collection. It's just all a bit more complicated than BIG GUBMINT SEZ I CAN'T DRINK RAIN

That's really interesting. I would say that the reactionary response is overly so, even without the science talking about most of the water not going to the aquifer anyway, just because of spatial scales, but they're an engineering/technology challenge away from a rights change which is probably kind of frightening, since, as water prices go up, the incentive to establish those technologies will increase.

Edit: though clearly my error was the assumption that laws were motivated by reason

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stravag posted:

Theres a difference between preparing for the contingency of fighting in space and establishing space as a warfighting domain. Establish implies fighting there first to gain a leg up. Or atleast it does in normal human english and not whatever this wh deals in.

Space was a warfighting domain since before we added information in 1995. Probably since before Reagan.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Smiling Jack posted:

I can't wait for spacewar to dump enough debris into orbit to prevent us from doing anything in space for decades

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Prime Real Estate: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_objects_at_Lagrangian_points

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

My idiot coworker says not even North Korea would be that bold to gently caress up space.

Holding the world as hostage just hasn’t occurred to them yet is my guess. Too focused on making missiles come down as opposed to just stay up there.

NK does prefer to have a stable of hostages. If NK has nowhere else to escalate to, they run out of reasons to hold the powers at bay. They've probably thought about it, prepared for it, and likely won't talk about it until they'ree exhausting another hostage

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

colachute posted:

Rocket fuel doesn’t melt laser beams.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

There was an old man from Nantucket...

He wiped silicone while searching his phone for Prime deals on socks within budget.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MA-Horus posted:

Me too, really. He has the charisma of a sentient bag of milk.

Cartons are much more charming.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stravag posted:

gently caress yes do it for the sword mcnally!

If the American education system awarded a sword and top hat, I wouldn't be in the Navy :(

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The thread title does say "Season 4 Chat (spoilers inside)".

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Think he has it bad? I was robbed before I ever got started by all of these people who are good at fighting and work hard to be better before I could even start because they would all beat the poo poo out of me. What garbage.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Flying_Crab posted:

Really? How the gently caress.

bird cooch posted:

How the gently caress is that a thing?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Going to guess:

Civil war vet married someone when he was near death (~1920’s), and somehow had a kid that’s still alive.

hobbesmaster posted:

Grow to be really old and marry someone really young.

That said, I think the last "civil war widow" died a year or two ago.

FAUXTON posted:

Children of surviving spouses and a gross wedding

A Bad Poster posted:

It's this. Civil War vet in his late 70s married a young woman in the 1920s, they had a kid who is elderly but still alive today, or was as of a few years ago.

History wasn't that long ago, which explains why some people today are shittier than you may think they should be given how "civilized" we are now.

Slim Pickens posted:

What's a civil war pension even pay, $20 a month?

E: $73/month to an 88-year old daughter

FAUXTON posted:

Go check out the one about John Tyler's grandsons.

Deja vu

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cugel the Clever posted:

Zero reason not to go further and provide cheap, functional essential consumer goods. I get zero benefit out of there being four dozen functionally-equivalent toothpastes hiding behind branding that pretends they're different so that toothpaste G can be sold at a higher price than toothpaste H.

1987 Soviet Toothpaste Shortage:
https://www.joc.com/maritime-news/toothpaste-shortage-erases-soviet-smiles_19870929.html
https://apnews.com/e1ad375eee08509105bff2cf29fa0448

The advantage is that, if Colgate-Palmolive (Colgate) fails to provide enough toothpaste, GlaxoSmithKline (Aquafresh) will happily snap up their market share and the shelves stay (over) stocked with minty fresh goo. The disadvantage is additional cost, applied to the consumer, to drive both profit and resource expenditure trying to gain market advantage through nonproductive research and development, marketing, and price inflation, and that GSP and CP have what most would describe as excessive proportion of political influence.

piL fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 25, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Lou Takki posted:

Lol what we're trying to get South Korea to patrol the loving SoH?

*checks map*

What?

*checks president*

Oh

Yeah, those straits that all their products flow out of on the ships they built so that money flows in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

You're mobilizing to the safest sea duty possible

[3 months later] Sad to hear Crab Man's ship took an ASCM hit

Pretty sure LKZ is the main character of this story and is protected by plot armor.