Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

Still not as embarrassing as Big Structural Bailey

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

... aren't you older than me?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Deathy McDeath posted:

Also a Rhodes scholar

But(t) of course, so is Corey Booker.

I think the big thing for Butt is that his resume is entirely "joined the military," "is a mayor," "is gay," and "is smart." So as a result, even though he's not appreciably more intelligent than any of the other candidates, media coverage makes it seem like he is because his intelligence is literally one of four things about him that they can talk about.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Arcella posted:

Let’s not pretend “have a masters degree” necessarily makes you smart, either.

can confirm

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

colachute posted:

I hope it’s not that simple or stupid.

But it probably is.

It's not. Granted, that is part of the story, but US support for Israel dates back to 1948, when Truman recognized the country shortly after it was founded. Since then the US has had a love-hate relationship with the country, as they've been an ideological ally in a strategic part of the world dominated by Soviet influence, but they've also been the source of massive unrest and target of ire from its Arab neighbors (for both legitimate and illegitimate reasons).

As for why we send them untold amounts of defense equipment, that's due to the Camp David Accords - long story short, the US agreed to provide for the defense of both Israel and Egypt as an incentive for the two to stop attacking each other.

The partisan and religious components of support for Israel are both relatively new, and IIRC have a lot to do with the rise of the far right in both countries (and especially Netanyahu doing everything he can to court Republicans who won't condemn his annexation of Palestinian land).

There's an interesting article here from a few months ago about the history of Israel's ideological relationship with the West if you want to dive further into it: Israel and the decline of the liberal order

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I unironically want a full version of "Ten Feet High Club"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

that redeems humanity a point for me

sadly I'm gonna have to take it back down a peg, possibly more

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1203435271611650048?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Torrannor posted:

Have any Dems announced potential running mates yet?

I bet it will be something dumb like Biden/Buttigieg. Pete likely won't mind being vice president, it's a traditional springboard for the presidency.

You don't announce running mates during the primary (unless you're ted cruz :lol:).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Reason being of course is that vetting and deciding on a VP is a long and strenuous process that can take weeks, if not months* - you have to make sure they don't have anything in their past that could hurt the campaign, and it has to be someone that can either help deliver a key state or demographic in the general, or someone that you want to play a particular role in the administration. Ol' Joe for instance was chosen because he was an older white moderate, and because he had decades of experience and many relationships in the Senate that he could use to help advocate for Obama's policies.

*the alternative gets you Sarah Palin.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
noteworthy:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1203856037016682503?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1204728905766227969

After the election tomorrow they need to send all the Labour media people over here because these are exactly what is needed for 2020

They've definitely had very clear, very direct advertising that the Democrats should absolutely do their best to copy wholesale.

I just hope it works :ohdear:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1206250494085095424?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Y I K E S

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

You can blame Lincoln for picking Andrew Johnson as his VP, since Johnson was the one who decided to let the South off for their treachery.

It was a bad move but understandable since winning the 1864 election was by no means a given, and running on a unity ticket with the only loyal Southern Democrat was part of a desperate strategy to break the overall Democratic vote. As it stood, had Sherman not taken Atlanta when he did it's very possible the election would have been far closer than it ended up being.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 18, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

warren is fine

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Chichevache posted:

You're right. Noted white guy Homer invented history and thus whites have always dominated the world. This in no way is a Nazi-like view of world civilization.

This is lazy trolling and I shouldn't even respond but it's Herodotus who's the 'father of history' you dumbshit

e: I honestly cannot believe I am this annoyed at someone mixing up probably intentionally greek figures from two and a half thousand years ago but I am somehow

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bored As gently caress posted:

What's with the 7 days? Bit harsh.

counterpoint: Chiche has been concern troll for loving months if not longer and the probe was well deserved.

Like seriously he tried saying rear end in a top hat was a slur over in TFF two weeks ago, his posts are disingenuous as all hell

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

A brilliant idea that would gain him 0 votes.

It would probably get him my dad's vote, which as a middle-aged white man in Michigan is clearly worth more than yours or mine (:negative:)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Scrolling past this image was an adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Nixon was a motherfucker who broke this country and the New Deal Coalition. Anyone who thinks he was anything even close to Obama, as bad as you think he was, has no idea just how truly monstrous Dick Nixon was.