Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Viva Miriya posted:

It's because he's a bitch.

Pete Buttigeig = smoke Crack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

So when I found out Clint Eastwood was making a Richard Jewell movie I wondered if it was just some excuse for pro-Donnie demonizing of the FBI and media. Turns out that's exactly what it is. loving go away Clint.

My dad trained Richard Jewell in explosives at the police academy. When it first came out that he was a suspect, I remember my dad screaming at the TV that he couldn't have done it because "that fat bastard is too loving stupid to have done it!"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Arc Light posted:

It's very much dependent on the GS job.

As an example, the US Air Force has the Air Force Engineering and Technical Services. They're GS civilians who work as trainers and technicians in comm and maintenance.

They're required to maintain the same medical, physical, and training standards for deploying as uniformed members of the military. When they deploy, they wear Air Force camo fatigues and carry weapons, and are recognized as combatants under the Geneva Conventions.

On the other hand, your average GS doesn't need to be deployable, and if they do go out the door, they're not legal combatants.

Just loving lol at "maintaining the same physical standards" and "carrying a weapon" for any of the AFETS reps I ever knew

For instance, one of the two AFETS reps at the maintenance unit next door is easily 280-300 lbs, squat, and probably has never run a quarter mile in his life, let alone qualified on a weapon.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

pkells posted:

They do give weapons to USAF personnel, and from my experiences, I wouldn’t trust about 90% of them in that situation.

While I agree with you, most ND's I ever saw were Army

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Also that 10% of "competent" Air Force people isn't a very good barometer either. We had a CRO (pararescue officer) fire the teams SAW through the helicopter's cabin floor accidentally. This is after the same CRO loaded his M4 mag upside down.

Edit: also we should probably move this discussion to the idiots thread instead of filling up the CE thread with a derail about ND's.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 5, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't pararescue the AF special forces or whatever

They're one of the AF SOF branches, yes. AF SOF is usually Combat Control/Pararescue/Special Reconnaissance (formerly Special Operations Weather Team)/TACP (previously not considered SOF). And even those guys have idiots.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

When I was at SERE I had a guy try to convince me that SERE instructors were basically SOF, too. Of course he was an idiot, a fellow trainee, and a soon-to-be (if he passed) SERE instructor. He ate every bug he could find, and managed to be the only person in our entire class who ran out of food in the field.

Yeah I purposely left them off that list because, despite their fancy beret and their ability to work with SOF/aircrew, they're solely a support function. And like you said, that runs counter to the belief that being SOF-adjacent means you're SOF (see also: literally everything at Hurby having the naming modifier of "Special Operations", like the Special Operations Security Forces Squadron).

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godamn religion is dumb.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Thump! posted:

Idk isn’t that within the USAF standards?

Hyuck Hyuck Hyuck chair force fat Hyuck Hyuck Hyuck

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah, they were apparently on a maintenance test flight and mayday called 9 mins after takeoff

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I remember flying to an area at least a mile outside of an impact area on the range up here one day years ago and landing to drop the PJs off. On the approach I saw all these little round things piled up on the ground and thought "I wonder what the gently caress those are". We take off and the PJs make one radio call - "get us the gently caress out of here there are bomblets everywhere we'll meet you at the road south no more radio transmissions". Ended up hoisting them back up at a road about 500 feet south of where we dropped them off.

I had never seen bomblets before so I didn't know what they were, and our EOD had apparently decided to gather them up from the impact area and take them away from it for *reasons*

Welp that's my story thanks for reading

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Brute Squad posted:

The 1920's bangers still bang.

good schadenfreude:
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1202712313003823106

and a good victory for students:
https://twitter.com/ASFleischman/status/1202965328625590273

short summary (IANAL):
- KSU cheerleaders kneel at football game during national anthem
- local sheriff and state rep both call KSU president and tell him to keep it from happening again. State rep also calls KSU athletic director complaining.
- KSU president meets with KSU athletics directors. They decide that from now on the cheerleaders will be in the stadium tunnel during the anthem.
- Cheerleader sues school, athletic directors, sheriff, and state rep, under section 1983 (originally Ku Klux Klan act of 1871)
- State rep and sheriff claims are dismissed, school and officials still on the hook
- School settles

LOL I went to Kennesaw State. That school is in the Atlanta suburbs. How they thought punishing the cheerleaders for that was a good idea, I'll never know

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Same, and its because main campus is out in the sticks technically.

I guess I grew up in a town of 300 so Marietta doesn't qualify as "the sticks" to me but you're probably right

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

colachute posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1203030941108711424?s=21

Why does this tweet make me so angry when it’s totally in line with his character and expected?

You're not alone there, my dude.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

fruity no gay posted:

Dumb doesn't mean wrong. :downs:

In this case, however, it does

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Current event: Letterkenny season 8 comes out Christmas on Crave, December 27th on Hulu.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Any idea when a good show will come out?

Any idea when you won't be a massive dumpster fire of a human being? I'm just kidding you know I love you

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Welp looks like I found something to go see on a Saturday night

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I can't stand this idiotic "they're aborting babies in the ninth month of pregnancy!" type of conspiracy / scare tactic. And then that people loving believe it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

I got a friends cousins neighbors auntie who had a 9 month abortion and they just tossed the “baby” in the garbage can and was rescued by a family of raccoons and grew up to be a famous quarterback praise jebus.

Are you sure the baby wasn't raised by a nice suburban white lady out of the goodness of her charitable heart?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Arc Light posted:

They're going to start with the WWII widows and work their way forward.

McNally, you'll get your due in about 30 years.

bUt ImAgInE tHe bAcKpAy

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

joat mon posted:

I can't find the actual order, but here's what the WH press release says:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-97/

Pardoning war criminals for the moron vote - looks like it's working pretty well for him, Cotton

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1204728905766227969

After the election tomorrow they need to send all the Labour media people over here because these are exactly what is needed for 2020

"this tax cut is going to cost about 7 billion pounds. That's going to be paid for by cuts, isn't it?"

We're just a chip off the ol' block, then.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

BigDave posted:

I miss the F-111. It was a flying brick and twice as ugly, but damnit it could do CAS missions like nobody's business.

When I first came in, I was fighter maintenance. Old timers talked with reverence about the F-111 and how "one time that radar accidentally blacked out half the base and half the surrounding city blocks" .

Totally apocryphal, but :black101: if true

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Well, of course he wouldn't go. Why would he? He can just keep holding rallies.

Democracy!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

McNally posted:

Missed this earlier.

Yeah, maybe lusting for death isn't really how you should be phrasing this.

You do realize who you're talking to right

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

It sounds much better defined than it was when I was in. We basically got two weeks to gently caress around locally, but god help you if you left the local area without using leave. I've never heard of a 90 day rotation, but most of ours were between 120-180. The downtime was also to make up for the ~4 months or so prior to deployment when leave was mostly prohibited because you were going to be TDY for 2-3 weeks back to back to back to back for much of it.

Our guys did 90 day rotations for a while. But it was 90/90/90/90 etc etc so on forever

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

How about using some dang spoiler tags instead of just dumping crap like that in the Current Events thread of all places

Yeah really

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

piL posted:

The thread title does say "Season 4 Chat (spoilers inside)".

Do you think that was done before or after spoilers were posted without spoiler tags?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dum Cumpster posted:

It was the original thread title, and a good joke by piL.

Well I'll just go eat my hat in penance

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s okay guys, he asked god for forgiveness so don’t worry about him groping a woman, and defiantly don’t look into what he does with the children he’s a youth minister for!

Defiantly

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I cannot express in words anymore how much I hate these pieces of poo poo

loving :same:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Pretty sure they just finally see a way to get their actual golden boy, Pencils, in office.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

Vendors offering poorly-designed "weapons" that are better off as showpieces than actually being used?

It's a false economy, it'll break the first time you use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Racist did not receive head injury from asphalt, 6/10