Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1202746518433751040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

If there was any justice in the world Frankie Edgar would be the best paid and biggest star in the sport.

FakerGayfield posted:

The Jon Fitch strategy

Except when he somehow managed to finish Thiago Alves, and remained the only guy to have done so for loving years.

We really didn't deserve Fitch. The first fight i saw of his was against GSP, and i didn't know Fitch was supposed to be terrible and boring. I just saw this dude who wanted the title so loving bad. It was amazing to see him just keep getting up over and over again.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Fitch is the only fighter from my lovely town and we're about the same age. He went to the rich kid school though so I didn't ever run into him. I wish his post UFC career was more exciting

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still like Fitch

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jorge is gonna ruin Conor if they fight.

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1202716928785240065

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Conor isn’t going to fight Jorge.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Rogan probably meant Brimage

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ariza posted:

I really want to see him fight Frankie. I think that would be an amazing fight.

Superboy already has a matchup for the same card so I don't think it'll happen. Korean Zombie is the one who is looking for a new opponent after Ortega dropped.

They probably train together so it's unlikely to happen, but KZ vs Superboy would be a fun scrap.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK yeah I'm stoked for the Edgar replacement. Hopefully he isn't affected by the massive dust swell that is happening atm here in the southern portion of Korea.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah Dana was already saying if Conor beats Cowboy they're making the Khabib rematch.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Snowman_McK posted:

If there was any justice in the world Frankie Edgar would be the best paid and biggest star in the sport.

He's an old, tiny, not that interesting gatekeeper that got knocked out by Brian Ortega.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Dan Didio posted:

FakerGayfield
Sep 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's an old, tiny, not that interesting gatekeeper that got knocked out by Brian Ortega.

Frankie edgar has fun fights, his run with Maynard, then bendo, then aldo might be the most entertaining 5 fight stretch any fighter has had.

Also Brian Ortega hits really hard and frankie always gets rocked.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Keith Mars posted:

Dan Didio posted:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryckvCVym0s

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Frankie is old and TKZ owns and still has some years in him, so let me say, some people here are saying Frankie will die as a prediction, but I'll make a normative statement: it's only right that he does.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So this is weird, if I try to click a full event page, for example UFC Sao Paulo: Blachowicz vs Souza from the US, it just dumps me to the front page, if I try to click it from somewhere else, it asks me that to watch that video I need to upgrade from paying them $9.99 a month to $10.99 a month. I'm assuming it will do the same if I try to watch this Saturday's card live.

I could give them their 11 bucks now out of curiosity, but I think I'll go back to playing RDR2 and figure this out when it's closer to my renew date.

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 6, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So far the only person to use the hoop is Thug Nasty who weighed in at 145.2 so basically just took his pants off cuz he felt like it.

Matt Sayles 148.5 (Thug Nasty's opponent)
Cynthia Calvillo 120.5

Both fights have been sanctioned and accepted, Thug Nasty gets 20% and Marina Rodriguez gets 30%.

Reem didn't even take his shoes off to weigh in which was pretty funny, they don't usually let you do that.

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 6, 2019

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Fights this weekend look good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Liz Carmouche is in UFC no longer

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/28238545/pioneering-fighter-liz-carmouche-released-ufc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

According to people on twitter, her release was announced while she was representing the UFC as a UFC + military veteran at a "UFC Are Troops" event.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CommonShore posted:

According to people on twitter, her release was announced while she was representing the UFC as a UFC + military veteran at a "UFC Are Troops" event.

LOL yikes, definitely on brand

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

CommonShore posted:

drat, that's cold. merry christmas, thank you for your service

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommonShore posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vWbBFHzj0/

loving cold blooded

Pretty standard UFC though

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1203094295542222848?s=19

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Wonder if they announced the Barao cut while he was representing the UFC in getting his rear end beat effortlessly

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Barao probably should have been cut a few fights ago, after losing to Andre Ewell. They tried to hook him up with a no name guy to get him back on track in front of a Brazilian crowd and despite turning in an embarrassing performance one judge still somehow scored the fight for him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

you know he actually won the title, right?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

you know he actually won the title, right?

Yes the currently 38 year old man won a title in 2010 and defended it in 2011, Barao was more recently than that by several years, what's your point?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is Edgar out of the Sandhagen fight? Is he still planning on fighting twice in five weeks?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Yes the currently 38 year old man won a title in 2010 and defended it in 2011, Barao was more recently than that by several years, what's your point?

It seems important to distinguish between former champs and gatekeepers.

Even if he'd never been the champ, he's been in a shitload of amazing fights, including one that is up there with the very best fights in the sport's young history, which is why he should be paid better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Is he still planning on fighting twice in five weeks?

yes

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

Is Edgar out of the Sandhagen fight? Is he still planning on fighting twice in five weeks?

No. Yes.

Snowman_McK posted:

It seems important to distinguish between former champs and gatekeepers.

Even if he'd never been the champ, he's been in a shitload of amazing fights, including one that is up there with the very best fights in the sport's young history, which is why he should be paid better.

Which specific fight do you mean?

I get that you think Frankie deserves our respect, and he does, but currently he's definitely a gatekeeper. That being said the gate he's keeping is 145lb title contention, which is some of the best in our sport, compared to for example OSP who is/was a gatekeeper for 205 top 10.

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 7, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brut posted:

OSP who is/was a gatekeeper for 205 top 10.

such great heights

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

tomorrow is my first live ufc event and i have a dumb question. when should i arrive? is it worth it to show up for (early) prelims?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
If I were going I’d want to watch all the fights

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kind Friend posted:

tomorrow is my first live ufc event and i have a dumb question. when should i arrive? is it worth it to show up for (early) prelims?

I always go early for the prelims because sometimes there's a hilariously brutal KO. Also because I'm dumb and have little care about sitting in an arena for 6ish hours.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

thank you Dana

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

spb posted:

thank you Dana

Not to be a downer, but you know he's already getting calls from Scott Coker. They'll be feeding him to Aaron Pico in no time.

Then again Pico is so bad Barao might smoke him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
The 2 latter Maynard fights I hope