Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

Okay so NSX with popupupanddownheadlights or srt-10 coupe with obnoxious v10?

It's for windy weekend roads and general tomfoolery of the sort.

I really need to hoon both and then I will know but like drat this is a weirdly difficult choice.

Are you going to drive it more than 1 hour at a time? Viper if no, NSX if yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well I have already sucessfully given myself a smoked cheddar filling in the hole. That was fun to clean out.

Apparently 30 years of chewing on one side is a hard habit to break. Who knew!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My one year old ain't got poo poo.
Then again we don't send her to daycare, so...

You either pay for it now or when they start school. :)

The two year old has been mostly healthy since summer but is currently sick. The baby just started daycare full time this week too :homebrew: so looking forward to getting sick once a month (or more) this winter. Again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son must be healthy as an Ox or we just got lucky as hell, but I think he's gotten me sick maybe once or twice and he turns 12 this month.

Also.... NSX

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WORK CHAT

We're moving into new markets and they're going to split our department, double the number of employees and loving force me to take a supervisor position that I don't want. Doing a good job shouldn't result in me being punished with authority drat it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Politely decline? I highly doubt they would fire you if you did, just explain that you like where you are and have no desire to be a supervisor.

[e] I was offered the GM position at the hotel i worked at, and although it was A LOT more money than i was making doing security it was in no way worth the loving stress I would have been under. It was tempting for maybe 2.2 seconds then it was an easy decision. I declined, they didn't take it personal and I kept my security job.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 3, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Politely decline? I highly doubt they would fire you if you did, just explain that you like where you are and have no desire to be a supervisor.

I already turned one down. They are really pushing for this, they put me in the leadership development program and now they want me to be the shift lead for the new split dept. I never wanted any manner of authority, I'm happy as a cog in the machine!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Then you need to tell them that dude, and make sure it's clear. Stop going to any leadership programs....Politely decline.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I already turned one down. They are really pushing for this, they put me in the leadership development program and now they want me to be the shift lead for the new split dept. I never wanted any manner of authority, I'm happy as a cog in the machine!

Explain that being a manager and doing whatever it is you do aren't the same thing and require different skills; skills that you don't have and don't think you'll gain.

I'll never understand this idea that everyone should aspire to be a manager. Engineering companies are the worst at this. If you're a good engineer, you MUST be a great manager inside. You won't have to slave at a desk doing engineering that you trained for and spent a decade developing a specialty in. Nope, you want to spend your time in meetings and in Microsoft Project. :sigh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Then you need to tell them that dude, and make sure it's clear. Stop going to any leadership programs....Politely decline.

I seriously tried, the leadership program is mostly a workload thing where they toss a bunch of projects at you with deadlines and they're basically testing your ability to make snap decisions without waiting for the team leader to show up at 7am. That stuff is very easy, I am very comfortable with that. And my performance reviews have been great since I started the job. Honestly, I could handle doing the job but it would make them resistant to letting me jump to 1st shift when there's an opening and that's my endgame. Hopefully enough people internally apply that I can skate away without annoying the plant manager.

sharkytm posted:

Explain that being a manager and doing whatever it is you do aren't the same thing and require different skills; skills that you don't have and don't think you'll gain.

I'll never understand this idea that everyone should aspire to be a manager. Engineering companies are the worst at this. If you're a good engineer, you MUST be a great manager inside. You won't have to slave at a desk doing engineering that you trained for and spent a decade developing a specialty in. Nope, you want to spend your time in meetings and in Microsoft Project. :sigh:

Ugh, THIS. Our team leader was the old 3rd shift lead, he took that job and now he's getting pulled away to meetings twice a week for poo poo that doesn't even matter to our department. But they've suddenly decided all leads need to attend them. And now he's also going to have to get his new counterpart trained up as well. Things are kind of a mess right now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 3, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Maybe tell them you'd only be interested if it includes a switch to the shift you want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

taqueso posted:

Maybe tell them you'd only be interested if it includes a switch to the shift you want.

There's no shift lead on 1st, that spot is the team lead. I'm about 18 months from jumping to 1st if things continue to go well, taking a shift lead spot would lock me into a new commitment. The guy who is more qualified than me actually wants the job but he has no people skills at all. That's another factor, people seem to like me for some reason. I still haven't figured that out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rhyno posted:

That's another factor, people seem to like me for some reason. I still haven't figured that out.

There's an 'easy' fix for that lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

taqueso posted:

There's an 'easy' fix for that lol

I like being liked!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

sharkytm posted:

I've been successful at dodging this. Basically I forget enough details to convince my superiors that I'm not management material, while simultaneously hitting all my cost, performance, and schedule targets on every project I do so I'm first choice for the fun work of creating machines.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Back when we had a (terrible, cunty) Office Manager, my (previous boss, then boss's boss, now boss again) controller approached me about canning her and me being her first pick for Office Manager. I immediately said no, not interested, and she tried to give me this long-winded spiel about how she didn't want to be a supervisor either, it just comes with our line of work, you just have to suck it up, blah blah. I just told her being a manager or supervisor isn't in my plan for myself, I have no interest in being in charge of personnel.

It's been like seven months since she was canned and we're just making do without an Office Manager and it's completely fine :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ain't it funny how the people that actually would make great managers don't want to do it, and the idiot assholes with power trips end up in the position nine times out of ten simply because they relish the opportunity to have power over other people and make them miserable.

I imagine lots of good people get suckered into it because the alternative is having a complete idiot and/or rear end in a top hat for a boss.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Okay so NSX with popupupanddownheadlights or srt-10 coupe with obnoxious v10?

It's for windy weekend roads and general tomfoolery of the sort.

I really need to hoon both and then I will know but like drat this is a weirdly difficult choice.

That is a badass choice to be fortunate enough to make - and even though I'm usually the idiot advocating for more versus less HP, IMO the better answer is NSX.

The NSX is as dailyable as an Accord, every bit as exotic as the Viper, and won't be a chore to drive like the Viper which until the last generation was still burdened with an awful Chryco interior and kit-car/concept-car ergonomics.

This the one time I'll ever tell someone to buy a transverse NA V6.

Or you know buy a C8 with me for the same money

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My one year old ain't got poo poo.
Then again we don't send her to daycare, so...

Then you'll get the pleasure when she goes to school, instead. This is how they build up immunity to all the crap out there, annoyingly moist as it may be.

e: f, b.

Ain't it funny how the people that actually would make great managers don't want to do it, and the idiot assholes with power trips end up in the position nine times out of ten simply because they relish the opportunity to have power over other people and make them miserable.

I imagine lots of good people get suckered into it because the alternative is having a complete idiot and/or rear end in a top hat for a boss.

This is absolutely true. Or the "good" person's altruism takes over and they take the position to save everyone else form that same potential rear end in a top hat boss.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Our Lexus needs tires and I'm getting a headache looking through all the tires and reading the reviews trying to decide what to get ugh what a pain.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I like being liked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1R-5p_j5c

Maybe I'm just an old man, but the LS motor is a pleasure in whatever form, and the C6Z is simply the epitome of stupid torque fun. Less monster than the Viper, less cool than the NSX, but so much the middle of both.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Our Lexus needs tires and I'm getting a headache looking through all the tires and reading the reviews trying to decide what to get ugh what a pain.

Buy the cheapest ones that are quiet and stop giving a poo poo. It's a Lexus and you live in Florida so what else do you need out of a tire outside of longevity?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got Discount Tire? Road Hugger GTP is affordable and does well in dry and rainy conditions. They were one of the quieter tires I've had in that price range, rode well, handled pretty decent for the shitbox they were on; they're made by Kumho for Discount (likely an older Kumho GT tire design). I'll be getting another set for Brokeback Outback once I replace the rear suspension and get an alignment (it has about half worn Fuzions on it now, but they're 5+ years old... and, well, Fuzions).

Adiabatic, NSX all the way if you plan to turn. Something something murican cars are for going fast in a straight line. The older NSX won't blow you away with brute force, but it'll carve the poo poo out of some twisties and just be overall more fun. Much more of a driver's car vs a Mopar V10 sledgehammer (plus it'll hold its value better, and hey, Honda reliability).

Work chat: There's two people at work I really don't like. AGM (assistant grocery manager), and one of my coworkers when I'm working in frozen. Since our frozen lead had a meltdown (and hasn't been seen since he went to the ER), I'm working frozen a bit more. AGM has a habit of giving a compliment, then a "buuuuuuuuuut you're doing x/y/z wrong/you're loving something up/etc" when he talks to you. Said frozen coworker just has a lovely attitude in general, and he went off on one of the personal shoppers this morning (which pissed off the personal shopper pretty good - they're required to ask us if we have an item if they can't find it, and coworker went full rear end in a top hat on him).

AGM this morning: "Hey man, great job, it looks great and you guys really busted rear end!"
Me: *waiting for the put down*
*crickets*
Me, finally: "uh, thanks man, yeah, it wasn't a huge truck, so NBD. We just need to finish fronting and we'll be out of here"

Said coworker today: "hey, just so you know, there's no way I could have done this without you and <X> coworker's help. Thank you" (X is someone that normally doesn't work frozen, and just transferred into grocery from a different department that doesn't handle any kind of stocking)
Me: "........ wait. you said something nice to me?!"
Him: "dude, I'm only an rear end in a top hat 99% of the time. take the loving compliment"

Hell froze over twice today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Buy the cheapest ones that are quiet and stop giving a poo poo. It's a Lexus and you live in Florida so what else do you need out of a tire outside of longevity?

The problem is no one agrees on anything (tirerack reviews), one says they're quiet then the next says they're too noisy, they are good in rain, then they are not good in rain wtf.

Then the tire the Lexus LS Forum loves so much (Pirelli P7) has a bunch of complaints about durability and build quality (tread separation, sidewall bulging) so I'm not gonna risk that my wife drives the car 70 miles every day.

The thing is with the LS is that tires make such a huge difference with the car, it can dramatically change how the car drives from one tire to the next, cheap tires generally do not do well on these cars, so I'm probably just going to spend the money and get Michelins.

If it was for my xB I really wouldn't give a poo poo and just get the cheapest summer tire I could find.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Maybe I'm just an old man, but the LS motor is a pleasure in whatever form, and the C6Z is simply the epitome of stupid torque fun. Less monster than the Viper, less cool than the NSX, but so much the middle of both.

This, widebody C6s are :discourse:, and you get to brag about your dry sump 427.

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at with the Honda. I spent about half as much on the Kumhos on it now as I have on any other set of tires before it, and they're just as good as anything else I've run on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kumho makes solid tires for the price. :shrug: They're generally at the top of my list when I'm shopping for tires (either branded as Kumho, or made by them for Discount). Their bottom of the barrel tires suck, but all bottom of the barrel tires suck. :v:

FWIW, mom put Michelins on her Avalon (which is almost as heavy as an LS), and she hates how loud they are. No, I'm not sure which ones exactly, but I can look when she gets in town this evening.

fake edit: GF is out of town, my parents will be in town in a few hours (NOT staying with me), then I have a day to myself after parents leave and before GF gets back. With most of this week off of work and the keys to GF's car, so I can do some much needed work to Brokeback Outback without worrying about needing a ride. :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Kumho makes solid tires for the price. :shrug: They're generally at the top of my list when I'm shopping for tires (either branded as Kumho, or made by them for Discount). Their bottom of the barrel tires suck, but all bottom of the barrel tires suck. :v:

FWIW, mom put Michelins on her Avalon (which is almost as heavy as an LS), and she hates how loud they are. No, I'm not sure which ones exactly, but I can look when she gets in town this evening.

Last set of Kuhmos I got for our last LS were average at best, when I switched to Michelins it was night and day.

This one has Pilot Sports on it now and they are noisy as hell, since these cars don't need summer tires going to touring tires should help in the noise department.

Most tires usually start getting noisy towards the end of their life anyways.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The problem is no one agrees on anything (tirerack reviews), one says they're quiet then the next says they're too noisy, they are good in rain, then they are not good in rain wtf.

Then the tire the Lexus LS Forum loves so much (Pirelli P7) has a bunch of complaints about durability and build quality (tread separation, sidewall bulging) so I'm not gonna risk that my wife drives the car 70 miles every day.

The thing is with the LS is that tires make such a huge difference with the car, it can dramatically change how the car drives from one tire to the next, cheap tires generally do not do well on these cars, so I'm probably just going to spend the money and get Michelins.

If it was for my xB I really wouldn't give a poo poo and just get the cheapest summer tire I could find.

I had P7s on my lacrosse before I turned it in, had no issues. Can vouch they were quiet, had good ride and wet/dry handling. Can't vouch for treadwear as I turned it in after I put about 10k miles on them. I'd buy again if I needed to. Significantly better than the lovely OEM Bridgestones that wore out after 30k miles and were greasy/rough from day one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I had P7s on my lacrosse before I turned it in, had no issues. Can vouch they were quiet, had good ride and wet/dry handling. Can't vouch for treadwear as I turned it in after I put about 10k miles on them. I'd buy again if I needed to. Significantly better than the lovely OEM Bridgestones that wore out after 30k miles and were greasy/rough from day one.

Yeah the LS forum I post in now and then LOVES them, and I was gonna go that route until I saw multiple reviews saying the build quality issues made them dangerous. If the car wasn't getting that many miles on it maybe, but my wife commutes over 70 miles a day so build quality issues are no bueno.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zhel posted:

Cold and rainy day just makes it look more beautiful.

this is a beautiful color

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sharkytm posted:

this is very true in consulting as well. it's tough to stay as an IC, you basically have to at minimum run projects and ideally bring in revenue. it's stupid, there are plenty of people happy to do the work as experienced ICs and it would be smart to just LET THEM

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Buy one each of four different ones and decide which is best empirically :v:

NSX

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slurry_curry posted:

Yup, my 16 month old has yet to get really sick. My niece and nephew are constantly getting anyone they come into contact with sick.

New to me car got dropped off this morning:

Both are '04s. LS is going to have to go away, gonna try to sell it to my mom and stepdad, since they need a car that was built in this century, and I honestly think my stepdad would love it. I definitely won't let my daughter ride in any of their existing cars.
There is a whole lotta toyota in that pic

Also: NSX

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

T-Square posted:

Are kids normally the walking biological weapons that my one year old niece apparently is? drat near every time I've stopped over at my parents over the last year, my mom or dad or both are sick from baby-sitting, and both were sick this weekend when we were out of town. My girlfriend told me my mom made a FB post apologizing to anyone she got sick, so I texted my sister and she texted back a long-rear end list of people that the fuckin' kid got sick over Thanksgiving.

No.
Thank.
You.

If they're in daycare, 100% yes kids are disease bombs. The tradeoff is that it confers a decreased risk of certain childhood cancers, so it's still worth it ... for them. Stay away and wash your hands.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My mother and stepdad started dating when I was... 5?

Guess who got chicken pox? This guy. And guess which soon-to-be-stepdad had never been exposed to it? :v: Mom had her hands full.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm wary of recommending tyres for the US, as I'm very much getting the impression that the stuff sold there is different to this side of the atlantic, so not directly comparable model for model. I though Michelin PS4s were absolutely excellent, and noise levels were perfectly fine.

InitialDave posted:

UK Panda owning goons, do/did any of your cars have the electronic climate control? I seem to have some odd behaviour with the fan not spinning up when first stared and idling, but starts as soon as I go to drive off.
Update: While it looks like the system is set up to not ramp the fan up to full if there isn't enough heat in the coolant to be of any use, I don't think that's what's going on here. It did it again this evening, but the car was warm, and slapping about the lower dash area got it started, so I reckon it's just a dicky connection, will try and investigate when I have daylight to work in.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

slidebite posted:

There is a whole lotta toyota in that pic

9,000lbs of Japanese luxury! My broken st165 celica alltrac still lives in storage, and my wifes Fit is just out of shot in the driveway. Almost a full toyota fleet.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Similarly I often think people who want to be politicians should be barred from being so

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Goober Peas posted:

Fortune 100 company, we were also asked to cut travel mid-year. Not even remotely approaching bankruptcy. Trade restrictions have really pinched us this year, we're barely going to make forecast. 2020 could be interesting if things don't change.

You mean like the mega-recession a bunch of folks have been predicting starting in 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Real career advice needed here:

I make good enough money in construction right now, and I really like my company, but I want to be welding so badly. I'm so close to taking up one of those traveling, temporary welding assignments.
The only thing holding me back is that I want to have my welding degree in hand, but I won't have that for another year. I have enough credits for an associate's degree in "general studies" or something like that if I take one more writing class. My fiance is down for it because the money is amazing enough for a house downpayment and then some, my favorite instructor told me to do it if I need a job and wanted fat cash, my brother in law who did these types of jobs on oil rigs is encouraging me to do it if don't piss my money away, and I need some welding experience on my resume somehow, but I'm still apprehensive about the whole thing
Two of the presentations I've heard say that they'll certify you on location, but it sounds sketchy as. Maybe wait until late spring so I can get my first level welding certification and an associate's degree, then drive off to Kentucky/Texas/Utah/wherever they send me for 6-9 months of +$40 an hour work? I don't know what I should do

I'm going to have a real discussion about this with the missus tomorrow, but I need all the advice I can get