Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

James Harden momentously reached 25.88 NP in a single game last night. Third best game ever. Trailing only Kobe's 1/22/2006 game and David Thompson's game on 4/9/1978.

TS% of 87.9% is also the highest ever in a 60+ point game surpassing Karl Malone's 84.4% on 1/27/1990.

Schedule Analysis: Lakers, Sixers face major December tests
https://www.nba.com/december-schedule-analysis-all-30-nba-teams

Report: LeBron James blessed Lakers signing Carmelo Anthony last summer, but front office didn’t
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lebron-james-blessed-lakers-040053540.html

Report: Agents grumble about players needing LeBron James’ approval to join Lakers
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-agents-grumble-players-needing-210038049.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NBA N/V "If You Build It, They Will Come"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Super Jay Mann posted:

So just curious, assuming the 3P% here stays constant how many attempts per game would teams have to make before it no longer becomes more efficient to add more 3P attempts beyond that? Or I guess put another way, when do 2P and 3P field goals "cross the streams" so to speak?

First, it's important to remember that this varies from team to team. Second, it's impossible to know because we cannot be 100% accurate in projecting the skills of players 5-10 years in the future. Third, we don't have specific FT data to delineate between FTAs based on 2P shots vs FTAs based on 3P shots.

With all that said we can compare 2P value and 3P value in each season since 1980.

Speaking in aggregate terms the 3P shot has been more valuable than the 2P shot in every year except:

BUT that doesn't take into account the fact that teams still take way more 2P shots than 3P shots even in 2020. If we consider the value of each individual 2P shot and 3P shot then the 2P shot was better from 1980-1989 and 1991 and the 3P shot's been better from 1992-2020.

League 3P% has been very static in recent years while league 2P% has increased by 6% over the last fifteen seasons. Six percent doesn't sound like much but it's a BIG improvement and shows that the bigger factor in recent years is 2P%.

TLDR: Looking at the numbers I'd be confident that if we forced every team now to shoot 38-40 3P shots per game then we'd "cross the streams." But if things keep going incrementally then 40 3P shots might not be a big deal for teams in a few years.

chunkles posted:

wow james harden and pudgier white james harden are really killing it

James Harden is running away with it now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

NBA N/V "If You Build It, They Will Come"

Trying to block this from memory and fantasize about Boylen coaching any other team in any other league in any other sport. Maybe the Lakers or Patriots.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1201273569633812490?s=19

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Zogo posted:

Trying to block this from memory and fantasize about Boylen coaching any other team in any other league in any other sport. Maybe the Lakers or Patriots.

Imagine Boylen managing Real Madrid.

My "favorite" part of Field of Dreams was in the original novel, where the Costner character's twin brother pretends to be him to gently caress his wife. Perhaps Boylen just has a twin fetish. It would explain his insistence on running the offense through Lopez last year.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Zogo posted:

League 3P% has been very static in recent years while league 2P% has increased by 6% over the last fifteen seasons. Six percent doesn't sound like much but it's a BIG improvement and shows that the bigger factor in recent years is 2P%.

That's interesting. I wonder how much of this is teams simply taking less long 2s (and turning those shots into 3s) i.e. a shift in offensive philosophy, versus how much is the extra spacing effect of shooting more threes enables you to get to the rim easier for higher percentage shots.

Maybe it doesn't really matter, both obviously are real and are having an effect. But intellectually I guess it's interesting to say whether 2P% is up because teams aren't taking as many dumb shots or if shooting more 3s actually increases your 2P%.

Zogo - is there a correlation between a team's 2P% and how many 3s they take a proportion of their attempts?

e: actually, that may be the wrong question. If a team just turns a lot of long 2s into 3s then their 2pt% goes up. A better question is if there's a correlation between 3PA and attempts at the rim or percentage at the rim.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 2, 2019

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
this thread title is super bumming me out zogo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What is everyone building this month? Who will be coming when it's done?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

chunkles posted:

this thread title is super bumming me out zogo

We have 7 months of NBA left, the season is pretty front loaded

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Luka is Lebron's moveset put in the body of a large Slovenian boy. Take away the God-Body and just put those moves in the body of a good athletic Slovene. The brains are similar. The moves are very close.
Hes Lebron+Rondo in a Slovene body. It's incredible

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Dejan Bimble posted:

Luka is Lebron's moveset put in the body of a large Slovenian boy. Take away the God-Body and just put those moves in the body of a good athletic Slovene. The brains are similar. The moves are very close.

Speaking of Rondo
https://twitter.com/MickstapeShow/status/1201290926779445248?s=19

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

luka must not be packing much of a booty

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Rondo wishes he was Luka.

If Luka had Pierce, Allen, and KG he would have won 25 rings in a row.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1200946834065240067?s=19

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
daryl morey all circling around while the jaws theme plays

it's worth noting that this offseason had (imo) an insane amount of trades, all at once. no superstar signing held it up which it often does for some reason.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Before I read this my divine intuition tells me that its because something like 60% of the league already changed teams.

chunkles posted:

no superstar signing held it up which it often does for some reason.

You are forgetting about how people melted down about Kawhi taking a week or whatever and how he influenced/ruined the plans of multiple teams

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Raptors/status/1201308209300070400

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cool Buff Man posted:

Before I read this my divine intuition tells me that its because something like 60% of the league already changed teams.

I imagine something might happen around December 14th when a lot of new contracts are able to be traded.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think he plays more like Harden (especially pre-Houston and the first couple seasons or so of Houston) than Lebron in terms of style. People absolutely went bonkers over Harden's style too. Luka's probably ahead of Harden with his passing yeah, they look really similar to me right down to the sneaky-athletic plays.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It was nice to see the Pistons play well for all four quarters. This is not a super exciting dunk, but Rudy Gay's reaction is pretty great:

https://twitter.com/detroitpistons/status/1201275313889697793?s=21

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I think he plays more like Harden (especially pre-Houston and the first couple seasons or so of Houston) than Lebron in terms of style. People absolutely went bonkers over Harden's style too. Luka's probably ahead of Harden with his passing yeah, they look really similar to me right down to the sneaky-athletic plays.

He uses hesitation, start/stop, and body control like Harden, but his moves are Lebron moves. I'm fine with the Harden comp but he's doing Lebron moves

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Vinestalk posted:

It was nice to see the Pistons play well for all four quarters. This is not a super exciting dunk, but Rudy Gay's reaction is pretty great:

https://twitter.com/detroitpistons/status/1201275313889697793?s=21

Pistons are going to have to pay Wood (career high 28 points today) a decent amount since he figured out how to rotate on defense. The mercy killing of Thon Maker’s minutes has been a silver lining to a garbage season.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tanglewoood1420 posted:

Yep I do it all the time due to timezones in Europe. Have league pass set to hide scores (there's a big button for it on the scores page) and my bookmark goes direct to the league pass games page, no headlines or anything.

Digging back here but could you link the League Pass games page? I can't seem to find it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

I imagine something might happen around December 14th when a lot of new contracts are able to be traded.

Yea definitely had the same thought, especially with so many teams underperforming

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I'm happy the raptors keep winning. But even with a championship in hand, I've still got the gitters thanks to years of them doing well in the regular season but being awful in the playoffs.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Maneck posted:

I'm happy the raptors keep winning. But even with a championship in hand, I've still got the gitters thanks to years of them doing well in the regular season but being awful in the playoffs.

Its fun to see them thriving without their previous centerpieces in Derozan and Leonard. And their ability to consistently pick up and forge great players out of undrafted guys always makes them an enjoyable watch.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1201280950719545344

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
^^^This.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

that was literally my exact take! Scoops Johnson strikes again.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The only lottery pick on the Raptors being the worst player on the team has got to be a deliberate move by Ujiri.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Its fun to see them thriving without their previous centerpieces in Derozan and Leonard. And their ability to consistently pick up and forge great players out of undrafted guys always makes them an enjoyable watch.

yea seeing them transition so quickly from the Kawhi era to the Terrence Davis era has been an amazing journey

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Menstrual Show posted:

Pistons are going to have to pay Wood (career high 28 points today) a decent amount since he figured out how to rotate on defense. The mercy killing of Thon Maker’s minutes has been a silver lining to a garbage season.

Agreed on all accounts. I genuinely wonder if there is a chance they trade Blake and just call this a transition year. The real question is who would be dumb enough to take his contract?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Bruno Caboclo had more rebounds than Karl Anthony Towns 2day 👑

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I love the idea of magic johnson's twitter account just becoming the go-to place for checking scores

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Woah the spurs are pretty bad and despite it being early im ready to start Bombing For Ball. Blow it up asap, keep Rudy Gay as the wise veteran. Pop can coach a few more years (YOU WILL COACH A REBUILDING TEAM AND LIKE IT) and then pass it to Becky and Timmy i guess. If we do actually start rebuilding ill almost consider it a blessing we didnt have another season where this team somehow makes the playoffs.
Still not as embarassing as whatever the gently caress is going on in Portland.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Still not as embarassing as whatever the gently caress is going on in Portland.

Blazers have won 3 straight baby, gonna ride Melo to the playoffs!!! 😎

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rui Hachimura being a legitimately good basketball player is surprising

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Clippers, Wizards, and Rockets are the only teams that have scored 150 this season and the Clippers and Rockets have both done it twice...against the same two teams (Wizards and Hawks) lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Remember when the jazz were supposed to be the best team in the west? That was funny