Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Al Horford needs to learn the lesson I teach all my NBA prospects, playing defense hurts your career. Just focus on buckets. They say defense is half the game, no, it's only 1/3. Forgot about defense. James Harden doesn't get hurt. Why? Doesn't slide around this way and that on defense.

Defense should be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

A Perfect Twist posted:

The Jabari Parker mantra, namaste

Na Ma Ste

I had a genius idea, and like all the best rules it's a pointless thing that affects others but not me. The NBA can keep their "City Edition" uniforms, but only for teams whose names don't contain the city where they play.

Golden State Warriors can be San Francisco for a night
Utah Jazz can be Salt Lake City Jazz for a night

I think that's it, get rid of the rest

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Now that LBJ has reached 9K assists I'm seeing even ardent LBJ haters simmer down in the player ranking wars. It's getting harder for Kobe and Jordan acolytes to filibuster.

Declan MacManus posted:

the bottom of the league looks like trash; the nba is pretty top heavy right now and it’s not like there’s an abundance of talent that’s just not in the nba right now

The bottom has looked like trash for a long time (against their contemporaries). To actually change that the league would have to force all the elite players to sit out for long stretches of the season. Or another way to make the league closer would be to ban the 3P line as the last time the league had a standard deviation under 3 in SRS was 1978. Rarely will someone talk about 1978 and the champion Bullets.

There's a lot of talent not in the league. It's just unrecognized because the top level of talent keeps moving even higher and viewers are conditioned and acclimated so they do not notice. Even the junkiest teams in the league look great if you really compare them to teams from yesteryear. And on the individual level Giannis is in the midst of second greatest 2P season ever while simultaneously being capable of having a great 3P night in the same game AKA Wilt in the ABA with a 3P shot. eFG% continues to skyrocket across the league.

More NBA teams could be added and billionaires could easily afford it. One issue is that there's marginally higher risk in opening up a new market rather than purchasing an existing team. The pool of billionaires who'd like to open teams in less sexy areas is smaller. They'd rather have a team in a megacity.

Rick posted:

Eh, there's some bad teams with some pretty good offenses and some bad teams with some pretty good defenses, and there isn't really a way to statistically reflect "games that are close for 3.5 quarters" well but I feel like there have been more close games against bad teams this year.

Here's a list showing standard deviation of SRS AKA σ by season since the NBA-ABA Merger:

code:
Season	SRS SD
2018-19	4.7
2017-18	4.28
2016-17	4.19
2015-16	4.91
2014-15	4.78
2013-14	4.78
2012-13	4.5
2011-12	4.74
2010-11	4.54
2009-10	4.54
2008-09	4.6
2007-08	5.32
2006-07	3.78
2005-06	3.72
2004-05	4.04
2003-04	4.02
2002-03	4.2
2001-02	4.09
2000-01	4.43
1999-00	4.59
1998-99	4.33
1997-98	5.36
1996-97	5.28
1995-96	5.05
1994-95	4.77
1993-94	5.15
1992-93	4.82
1991-92	4.78
1990-91	4.92
1989-90	4.72
1988-89	5.34
1987-88	4.66
1986-87	4.59
1985-86	4.03
1984-85	3.93
1983-84	3.08
1982-83	4.56
1981-82	3.89
1980-81	4.23
1979-80	3.86
1978-79	3.25
1977-78	2.83
1976-77	3.02
1975-76	2.24
Most years when the league expanded the σ goes up a little but not by a dramatic amount as there are larger increases in years where the number of teams remained the same.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Re-posting these for those who don't follow the GDT thread

bornbytheriver fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 1, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zogo posted:

Now that LBJ has reached 9K assists I'm seeing even ardent LBJ haters simmer down in the player ranking wars. It's getting harder for Kobe and Jordan acolytes to filibuster.

I would always argue he needed to prove his longevity, and he has done that for sure.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zogo posted:

Rings, duh

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Na Ma Ste

I had a genius idea, and like all the best rules it's a pointless thing that affects others but not me. The NBA can keep their "City Edition" uniforms, but only for teams whose names don't contain the city where they play.

Golden State Warriors can be San Francisco for a night
Utah Jazz can be Salt Lake City Jazz for a night

I think that's it, get rid of the rest

People in St. Paul are sensitive enough about playing second banana as it is

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Katana_Warrior posted:

People in St. Paul are sensitive enough about playing second banana as it is

Their fault for living in the burbs.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Has there been a stiffer bucket getter than gallinari

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
KPJ Sexton Garland Cedi idc who else is on the team keep these dudes i will be honest and selfish i like watching them :shobon:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmao another win okc didn't deserve

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Mavs are doing a lot of good things this year but should reconsider the thing where everyone gets a lobotomy during the last tv timeout

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ErikHorneOK/status/1212225108582051840

Never thought this would be a thing

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

It shouldn't be and it isn't. Slams gavel

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It remains wild to me that the minute totals on this stuff are so low. Lebron and AD have played 1100 minutes, Caruso 600. Only a third of that time Lebron and AD were both in the court? Even though 1100 minutes is ~2/3 of all possible Lakers minutes. These lineup numbers have definitely made me realize I’m not really paying enough attention to rotations

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

It shouldn't be and it isn't. Slams gavel

😢

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1212236094638563328?s=19

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

JK. Shai fuckin rules

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

CRISPYBABY posted:

Remember the time Manu Ginobili literally exploded one of his balls? He recovered surprisingly quickly and it never became as a big a news story as I expected it to.

The 2nd one is entirely superfluous.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

JK. Shai fuckin rules

I was listening to a wild trade ideas episode of open floor and there was some nonsense about a trade that landed Kiwi an SGA to Boston for Hayward and picks and I was kinda nodding my head.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was listening to a wild trade ideas episode of open floor and there was some nonsense about a trade that landed Kiwi an SGA to Boston for Hayward and picks and I was kinda nodding my head.

Don't trade with Presti, Don't trade with Danny

Too volatile of a combination

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I don't think anyone has accused CP3 of declining when he's been healthy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bornbytheriver posted:

Re-posting these for those who don't follow the GDT thread

Post the Suns gif

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
3 games losing streak. Ya hate to see it.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Cool Buff Man posted:

JK. Shai fuckin rules

Should just call him Gilgeous-Alexander, because he sure ain't "Shai" about gettin' buckets :v:

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 1, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't think anyone has accused CP3 of declining when he's been healthy.

What if I told you the reason that trio is doing so well is because of Dennis Schroder? That's the most insane part of it all

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Put JR Smith back in the league

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Bring Lance Stephenson back from china

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
A murderer and an abuser. No thanks. Disgusting. The NBA should clean up its act and be more like the NFL

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If we're bringing anyone back bring back udoh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

If we're bringing anyone back bring back udoh

His injuries are very tragic. I say bring all the boys back home.

I wonder if Christian would will ever become a starter

Happy New year to the men of the NBA thread. We agree about everything and are always right

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

His injuries are very tragic. I say bring all the boys back home.

I wonder if Christian would will ever become a starter

Happy New year to the men of the NBA thread. We agree about everything and are always right

It's a banner year for hair theory

Happy new year

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
go cavs on their 40 win streak all the way to the championship or however many gamw until then there is

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Zogo posted:

It's difficult to imagine why Kobe-stans still try to justify him being in the GOAT conversation. I don't get it. We all know KAJ is the real GOAT.

quote:

More NBA teams could be added and billionaires could easily afford it. One issue is that there's marginally higher risk in opening up a new market rather than purchasing an existing team. The pool of billionaires who'd like to open teams in less sexy areas is smaller. They'd rather have a team in a megacity.

Instead of admitting new teams with a new owners, what if the NBA chopped the season down to 65 or whatever games and then expanded and used the additional teams' games/profits to make current billionaire owners whole? The added four-or-whatever teams would be league-owned but independently managed, and their revenues would go toward salving the wound the current billionaires would suffer from losing 15-18 games off their teams' schedules. After it's been a decade or so and the teams are worth something wholly different and 65 games is the new norm, then sell the four expansion teams off or offer the municipality the option to be like Green Bay. Pie in the sky.

Either that or guillotine the billionaires and make the league a player owned co-op.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

happy new year you dinks time to watch the scottie pippen mr submarine commercial

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40YkCQcMCpQ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's a banner year for hair theory

Happy new year

Could Rashard Lewis teach players who want cool haircuts to use his weird, hair height proofed stroke??

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Dutchy posted:

The Mavs are doing a lot of good things this year but should reconsider the thing where everyone gets a lobotomy during the last tv timeout

I hope this is part of some young team learning process thing and they'll emerge much better for the experience, rather than something that sticks in their heads and becomes self fulfilling.

I don't get to watch as many games lately but it seems like every time I tune in they are blowing a late lead or threatening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Metapod posted:

What if I told you the reason that trio is doing so well is because of Dennis Schroder? That's the most insane part of it all

I figured he'd be a likely trade target this season since he's played well, but I kind of don't want this group broken up yet.