Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Moxley Get the Next Title Match?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 17 16.50%
No 14 13.59%
No, but he will challenge at the next PPV 72 69.90%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Drago was an actual dragon that shapeshifted into a human form to fight in a dirty warehouse in Boyle Heights, California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STAC Goat posted:

It doesn't matter what his name is because he's in WWE now so a year from now he'll be unmasked and trading boring wins with someone else to try and become the next Rey Mysterio.

he unmasked in mexico

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If you removed the Brandi segment, that show was as good as wrestling tv gets

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
We get Excalibur and Chuckie T on commentary for Dark next week.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ivypls posted:

I'm so sorry to tell you this, but Cuerno was diagnosed with a terminal case of Signed By The Fed about a month ago.

Noooooooooooo

:negative:

He’s under a different name though, right? Not that really makes a difference, because it’s not like they can just acquire the character separately, but it’ll at least let the character not be getting WWE-ed.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he'll be appearing under the name Baron Cuerno

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

I also would put forth that MJF might just be a liar taking credit for stuff he had nothing to really do with.

But its also not a time sensitive bit of information so I think people are overreacting to it not being on Dynamite. There was no real down time in the episode and it has the same affect a week from now.

Yep on both accounts. I also think "This video I easily watched online needs to be TV!" is a weird complaint generally speaking in 2019. There's only two hours of broadcast time, your choice is either to steer some stuff to the internet or to slow down the pace of the show as you're trying to build an entire roster of wrestlers. I'm fine with the first option

It probably would be a good idea to get a quality MJF promo on the show whenever possible, but this episode was packed tight. They did broadcast an explanation for The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny attack so it's not like TV-only viewers would be lost about what's happening. I could also buy that they don't want The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny to be defined as "MJF's lackeys" the same way Wardlow is right now, so they didn't want the promo to step on The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny speaking for themselves (The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny)

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

He’s debuting on raw as El Hijo del Baron Corbin.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
King Cuerno vs THE BLADE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtksYQBWTl0

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the only thing that should be on tv is wrestling, you degenerates are lucky to get this

new rule, only the guy with the belt can cut in ring promos. one per show.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Ok, big thought-dump on the show coming through:

-Bold of AEW to start the show with the goofy feel-good “send the crowd home happy” multi-man tag. Dustin+Bucks/Inner Circle was fun and breezy, but ultimately inconsequential. Interested in what they do for the street fight next week.
-For my money, I thought Trent/Fenix was the better of the two solo Fenix matches we’ve seen on Dynamite so far. Felt like Fenix was trying more unique things here than in the Nick Jackson match (like that sick 619 in the corner).
-Cody promos are fire. This one was kinda weird and disjointed in the way he would bounce back and forth between the various subjects, but Cody’s strong delivery and emotion carried him through.
- I am still on-board with these Dark Order segments, even if the section with the Creepers massaging the fat dude’s face felt a bit goofy.
-Nothing to say about the Nyla Rose squash. Nyla’s cool, hope her Marvelous tour goes well (and makes FreshLive).
-It is amazing how over Jurassic Express is, even with one of the worst win-loss records in the company. Jungle Boy/Jericho is gonna slap.
-Shida/Statlander was a really good match, and it’s nice to see that Statlander is going to be sticking around. As much as I like Hikaru Shida though, she should really stop doing the jump off the chair spot in every single match she’s in. Give me more kendo stick action and mix things up. And more eye pokes into rollups; that spot owns.
-Unlike her husband, Brandi’s delivery was not nearly enough to save her promo segment. Kris and Kong having their staredown nearly saved things, but then you had that weird crowd plant run in, and that was that.
-Penta/Daniels was fun, but I don’t remember much about it as I’m typing this other than the botch (good job from Excalibur covering for it on commentary, though) and the finish, which amused me.
-Not a fan of Mox going for a WWE-style headlock a minute into the match, but Mox/Janela got to where it needed to be by the end. That last minute or so was a wild trip. Still much preferred the Mox/Darby match to this, though.

Overall, still a really fun show. Plenty of storytelling kinks they have to work out though (seriously, why wasn’t that MJF promo on the main show?).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The MJF video will most likely be on Dark because they release a lot of videos on Twitter first and replay them on Dark.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

xbilkis posted:

Yep on both accounts. I also think "This video I easily watched online needs to be TV!" is a weird complaint generally speaking in 2019. There's only two hours of broadcast time, your choice is either to steer some stuff to the internet or to slow down the pace of the show as you're trying to build an entire roster of wrestlers. I'm fine with the first option

It probably would be a good idea to get a quality MJF promo on the show whenever possible, but this episode was packed tight. They did broadcast an explanation for The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny attack so it's not like TV-only viewers would be lost about what's happening. I could also buy that they don't want The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny to be defined as "MJF's lackeys" the same way Wardlow is right now, so they didn't want the promo to step on The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny speaking for themselves (The Butcher, The Blade and The Bunny)

I mean, I'm an advocate of getting important character and story stuff on TV and I do think that's a balance AEW has been feeling their way out with. But I also think they've done a good job of balancing the parts of it. MJF and Cody are feuding but that doesn't mean they need to wrestle, brawl, or promo at each other every week. As long as you advance the story you can keep them separate and have Cody promo this week and MJF respond next week. And then maybe MJF takes credit for the BBB at the same time Cody's actually dealig with them instead of just talking about them. And yeah, that helps BBB come off as their own thing and not just MJF's stooges.

Its a balance but I think AEW's doing a solid job. Its hard to balance a full roster of characters and stories in <2 hours a week and if you force it that's how you end up with the WWE problem where some stories/characters are over used and some have nothing.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
https://twitter.com/aewrestling/status/1202441289960239104

Ok. Melanie Cruise looks like a bad rear end with a shaved head. I’m in.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

My sources are telling me that AEW lost real real bad in the ratings tonight.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

heel turn posted:

https://twitter.com/aewrestling/status/1202441289960239104

Ok. Melanie Cruise looks like a bad rear end with a shaved head. I’m in.

Who is she?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The butcher and the blade and Melanie cruise?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ganso Bomb posted:

Who is she?

THE BALD

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

To me it makes more sense to show the MJF promo on the next show, not this one.

As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was better than last week for sure. The women's match was cracking but I agree with the poster who said Shida should lay off that chair spot. We don't need to see it every match.

It hardly needs to be said that Trent/Fenix was awesome. That double rope jump into the stomp on Trent's back on the apron was crazy. I'm not sure how long Fenix can keep doing that sort of thing before his body puts a stop to it but I hope AEW can put together as many awesome matchups as possible in the meantime. I would love to see Fenix v Allin.

Cody and Jericho continue to be the best out there on the mic. As much as I liked the big thank you party for Jericho last week, I think I prefer it when he gets in there with just a microphone and talks poo poo and acts like an rear end in a top hat.

Also the Brandi/Kong thing is just not working anymore if it ever did. What I would do is just have some badass looking person like Big Swole fight back against the hair cutting and run Kong out of the ring. Then you can build a match between those 2 and when Kong wins, she takes the hair. That's way simpler than what they're going for here

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought dynamite was good but it did feel muddled in the 3rd half hour. moxley janela was missing some intensity until the end. the non wrestling bits were all good but the brandi stuff felt stilted. i agree with whoever in the last thread said that there are too many cults.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At one point the episode was my favorite but by the end I'd say this was like third best that they have done.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

For me this would be like, 6th best. First Ep, Full Gear go-home, concourse brawl episode, Darby/Mox main event episode and Halloween episode I all enjoyed more than this. Still a really fun show though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1202407667840495616

for those that didn't get the commentary

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Shida should've won.

Otherwise, great episode.

I introduced my 5 year old son to AEW tonight and let him watch the first match. He loving loved the bucks. Gave the match 2 thumbs up which is a big deal in his world.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what nth favorite episode this was of mine, but it kept me fully engaged for 2 straight hours and left a bunch of stuff I'm curious to see more of next week and very little I don't want to see.

I'm just sad Christopher Daniels got old today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Drago was an actual dragon that shapeshifted into a human form to fight in a dirty warehouse in Boyle Heights, California.

I sometimes look fondly back on that flashback they showed of Aerostar 1000 years in the past going,"Oh hey I think the battle for all good and evil will happen 1000 years from now, but I live a long time so I'll just wait" and then the guy he was talking to said,"I don't know 1000 years is a long time" and Aerostar went,"Yeah you're probably right so I'll just time-travel there now" and flew up into the sky and disappeared :allears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just finished.

AEW's factions are going all Blades in the Dark gangs and I am here for it.

Also, I won a TV at my company's holiday party. It's slightly smaller than my current version but the current one is six years old. (It was delivered right before the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary episode.) I'm debating if I'm going to switch, I probably will.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

marking out for nutshots

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

weirdly good way to put it yeah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just finished.

Also, I won a TV at my company's holiday party. It's slightly smaller than my current version but the current one is six years old. (It was delivered right before the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary episode.) I'm debating if I'm going to switch, I probably will.

Is it better quality? Very worth it if so.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

IcePhoenix posted:

Is it better quality? Very worth it if so.

Yeah, it's 4K so I'll probably install it over the weekend.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jerusalem posted:

I sometimes look fondly back on that flashback they showed of Aerostar 1000 years in the past going,"Oh hey I think the battle for all good and evil will happen 1000 years from now, but I live a long time so I'll just wait" and then the guy he was talking to said,"I don't know 1000 years is a long time" and Aerostar went,"Yeah you're probably right so I'll just time-travel there now" and flew up into the sky and disappeared :allears:

Lucha Underground was a gift and the world is worse off with it gone.

Also S3 never went on Netflix so I'm unresolved.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pinwiz11 posted:

Yeah, it's 4K so I'll probably install it over the weekend.

4k is better, but is it OLED?

d8uv
Sep 17, 2005

DO NOT EAT
Grimey Drawer

heel turn posted:

We get Excalibur and Chuckie T on commentary for Dark next week.

also excalibur and britt baker

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yinlock posted:

marking out for nutshots

The windup double nutshot Hybrid 2 won a match with a couple weeks back was aces

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Lid posted:

4k is better, but is it OLED?

According to the box, it's DLED. I wouldn't expect the prize to be OLED.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
You remind me of The Blade
(What Blade?)
The Blade with The Butcher
(What Butcher?)
The debut was a snafu
(redo?)
Make do
(do what?)
The Butcher and The Blade

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FullMetalJackoff posted:

You remind me of The Blade
(What Blade?)
The Blade with The Butcher
(What Butcher?)
The debut was a snafu
(redo?)
Make do
(do what?)
The Butcher and The Blade

:golfclap:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I really don't mind the rough spots because you gotta realize that these performers have a lot of room to really experiment and try new things, so not everything is going to land, but the highs are... really loving high. I'd rather have a show with a few whiffs and a bunch of amazing moments instead of... welll... The WWE Univ- *barf*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think that's the WWE poison that like stuff has o be completely polished and smooth. Which is of course silly because WWE screws up all the times. But all wrestling promotions do. Its hard to do all this every week and juggle everything and everyone. Put on a good show, improve what didn't work, do more of what does, make me genuinely looking forward to come back next week. AEW succeeds.